Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-03-2023, 02:49 AM   #1
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

I still wouldnt mind seeing us trade back with Nets.
#10 for #21/#22/#51

Take Murray/Lively/BPA

Young team to build around
Luka/Hardy/Green/Murray/Lively
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 09:42 AM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
#10 for #21/#22/#51

Take Murray/Lively/BPA

I would be with you, but

A) If we lose the pick, then this is all meaningless. It's morbid, but we're also more likely to lose the pick (20.2%) than move up to top four (13.9%)

B) If we end up #1, you take and keep Wemby. No question

C) If we end up 2/3 I think you trade back a bit. Maybe trade 2nd pick for 9 and 16 (Utah)

D) If we end up #4 I would keep it. The entire board is available and there are some killer players in that 4-9 range.

E) If we end up #10 and Walker/Hendricks is on the board I would keep the pick and take them. I get the idea that Walker will be there at 10 and he would be an absolute steal at 10 and would address half of our offseason issues.

F) If we are #10 and there is no Walker/Hendricks. There are a ton of solid two-way guys all the way down to #45. We potentially have two stars. We just have no quality workhorse guys. I would 10 for 21/22 with the Nets or 12/37 with the Thunder.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-03-2023 at 09:44 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 10:37 AM   #3
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
#10 for #21/#22/#51

Take Murray/Lively/BPA

not sure why any team would do that, thats more nfl. maybe if it was the number 1 or 2 pick, but not for the 10th pick
Old 05-03-2023, 11:37 AM   #4
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
not sure why any team would do that, thats more nfl. maybe if it was the number 1 or 2 pick, but not for the 10th pick
You're probably right but I really do like Lively for us because he is exactly what we need at center.
The concern with him is he could either be the next Tyson Chandler/Rudy Gobert, or the next Moses Brown/Willie Cauley-Stein.

But damn, 7'1 with 7'8 WS and pretty athletic and able to switch out on smaller guards is something I'd love to see anchor our D. Won't get much, if any offense from him though other than put backs and lobs.

Last edited by rimrocker; 05-03-2023 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-03-2023, 03:36 PM   #5
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Quote:
#10 for #21/#22/#51

Take Murray/Lively/BPA

Yes because look at how #18/#31/#36 changed the trajectory of our team in 2020 Draft. Yes let's do that again...

Last edited by Zeus; 05-03-2023 at 03:37 PM.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 08:01 PM   #6
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Yes because look at how #18/#31/#36 changed the trajectory of our team in 2020 Draft. Yes let's do that again...
After Dick and Hendricks come off the board, there isn't a lot of star potential left in this draft. Both of them most likely won't be there at 10 if that is our pick. If one of them are there we have to take them.

Bust potential will be there from 10-30 so I'd rather have two shots at getting a player that will stick than 1.

And using your reasoning, we shouldn't pick at 9 or 10 because that worked out so well for us in 2017.

The point is moot because they will be trading that pick unless it is #1 and I'm not even sure they'd pick Wemby at this point.

Last edited by rimrocker; 05-03-2023 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-04-2023, 07:01 AM   #7
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
After Dick and Hendricks come off the board, there isn't a lot of star potential left in this draft. Both of them most likely won't be there at 10 if that is our pick. If one of them are there we have to take them.

Bust potential will be there from 10-30 so I'd rather have two shots at getting a player that will stick than 1.

And using your reasoning, we shouldn't pick at 9 or 10 because that worked out so well for us in 2017.

The point is moot because they will be trading that pick unless it is #1 and I'm not even sure they'd pick Wemby at this point.
I think they are more likely to trade if they are 3rd or 4th pick than 10 because that would carry so much more trade value.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:07 AM   #8
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Random thoughts:

1) I had a dream the Mavs picked 4th

2) None of us can say with ANY degree of certainty that _______ player will be a star or will be a bust.

For all we know, Hendricks is Christian Wood 2.0 with worse offense, and Dick is Duncan Robinson 2.0 with worse defense. (I don't believe this to be true, my point is just no one knows).

3) I really do trust Nico (and our new AGM) to evaluate and make the right decision... whether that's selecting a player or trading the pick. I don't think any of us can fault Nico for what he's done so far -- buying low on Wood, buying low on Kyrie, buying low on Hardy.

Obviously it would be nice to have Jaylin Williams on a rookie contract over our one year rental of Wood, but it was worth the swing.

4) I'm probably in the minority, but I'm optimistic about our future. If we have Luka, Kyrie, Green, Hardy, #10..... that's not a bad starting point to build something sustainable, especially when the league is wide open (in before Wemby becomes a Hakeem/ Dirk hybrid).
Old 05-04-2023, 10:33 AM   #9
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Random thoughts:

1) I had a dream the Mavs picked 4th

2) None of us can say with ANY degree of certainty that _______ player will be a star or will be a bust.

For all we know, Hendricks is Christian Wood 2.0 with worse offense, and Dick is Duncan Robinson 2.0 with worse defense. (I don't believe this to be true, my point is just no one knows).

3) I really do trust Nico (and our new AGM) to evaluate and make the right decision... whether that's selecting a player or trading the pick. I don't think any of us can fault Nico for what he's done so far -- buying low on Wood, buying low on Kyrie, buying low on Hardy.

Obviously it would be nice to have Jaylin Williams on a rookie contract over our one year rental of Wood, but it was worth the swing.

4) I'm probably in the minority, but I'm optimistic about our future. If we have Luka, Kyrie, Green, Hardy, #10..... that's not a bad starting point to build something sustainable, especially when the league is wide open (in before Wemby becomes a Hakeem/ Dirk hybrid).
Nobody is saying there is a guarantee with any pick.
I'm just saying Dick and Hendricks appear to have star potential and probably some others as well, but most will be gone when we will most likely pick if that pick is 10.

Everything is speculation at this point including your dream which I hope comes true
Old 05-09-2023, 10:03 AM   #10
sig

sig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Nobody is saying there is a guarantee with any pick.
I'm just saying Dick and Hendricks appear to have star potential and probably some others as well, but most will be gone when we will most likely pick if that pick is 10.

Everything is speculation at this point including your dream which I hope comes true
There is always somehat of a shakeup after the draft camps. So let's see who goes up and who who drops.

I like Hood Schifino as much as those 2. He really stabilized the PG spot for Indiana as a Frosh and already has NBA strength. IMO, he is a Deron williams clone with 6'9" wingspan.
sig is offline   Reply With Quote