Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 01-11-2006, 01:20 AM   #1
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Cowboys Off-Season Thread

Keyshawn has surgery again

Receiver has procedure on knee; team adds receiver, defensive back

08:15 PM CST on Tuesday, January 10, 2006

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – For the second time in as many years, Cowboys receiver Keyshawn Johnson underwent off-season surgery on his right knee.

Johnson had surgery on his right knee and left ankle last year and did not miss a snap during the 2005 season, leading the Cowboys in receptions with 71 for 839 yards and six touchdowns.

Three other Cowboys have had surgeries since the season ended. Right guard Marco Rivera, who missed the final two games with a neck injury, had surgery on both elbows, backup guard Stephen Peterman had ankle surgery, and tight end Dan Campbell had his fourth hernia surgery.

Johnson, Rivera and Peterman are expected to be healthy for the beginning of the team's off-season conditioning program in March. Campbell is expected to be a free agent.

Receiver, defensive back signed: The Cowboys signed receiver Ahmad Merritt and defensive back Byron Parker on Tuesday.

Merritt was with the Cowboys in training camp before being waived because of a foot injury suffered Aug. 22, 2005, in the preseason at Seattle. He worked out for the Cowboys midway through the season but was not signed.

Parker played last year for Toronto in the Canadian Football League, recording two tackles and three special teams stops. He also returned punts and kickoffs. He was briefly with Jacksonville in 2004. He played two years of basketball at Tulane before joining the football team in 2003.

Briefly: The deals practice squad running back Keylon Kincade and wide receiver Tom Crowder signed after the season were for three and two years, respectively. Kincade received a signing bonus of $18,800, while Crowder pocketed $8,830. Crowder could be headed to NFL Europe this spring.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:30 AM   #2
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future
Question

First - 18th overall
Second
Third
Fifth
Sixth - From Philadelphia
Seventh

Which one of those do you use on a reciever? on safety?

Last edited by capitalcity; 01-11-2006 at 01:30 AM.
capitalcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:34 AM   #3
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go Tackle in the first, WR in the 2nd and sign Corey Chavis.

Of course if Huff is still on the board he'd be hard to pass up. I have a feeling he'll be gone due to his ability to move back and forth between corner and safety. Especially if he can come in at 4.4 or under.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:42 AM   #4
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

OL, LB, FS, K and WR all need to be addressed in this offseason, IMO. Order based upon what is available on the board, and what is available via free agency.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:46 AM   #5
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Needs ranked in order of importance:

1) OL - Basically from Center to RT could all be looked at regarding possible upgrades. Johnson was very average and until late in the year he couldn't figure out how to get the ball in Bledsoe's hands. Rivera might return to form after some rest, but this guy may never be close to the guy he was in GB. I never EVER want to see Pettiti starting for Dallas again, EVER!

2) K - I think three losses could have been prevented with successful field goals this year, (1st WASH game - 2/3 and we lose by 1; Seattle game - 1/2 and we lose by 3 - the pick on Drew would have never happened if we were UP by 3; and the Denver game - 0/1 and we lose by 3 in OT). Does 12-4 sound bad? That is assuming that we still lose the finale, which i seriously doubt we do. There were many more kicks that sailed wide in games we won that almost cost us. PLEASE spend BIG if you have to and get us a consistent leg!!!

3) LB - With only Bradie James and DeMarcus Ware to depend on, we need two or three more guys brought in to help here. We still have Burnett that might end up taking one of those slots, but we definitely need one more solid guy and preferably 2. We know what it looks like when one goes down and it is NOT pretty. If Dat can manage to return to 80-85% or more of his normal production, we could end up needing only one solid guy here, but I doubt that happens. Try to get a very taleneted guy, (should we take a chance on LaVar anyone?), via free agency and get at least one more in the draft.

4) FS - This position improved as the year went on, (how many times early did we have a total collapse on deep throws). This position with Roy's help essentially put Washington into the playoffs. Sickening when you think about it. It also, with the help of our injuries and kicking game, kept us out of it. Try to get a good center fielder and look at Beriault hard. If Huff is still on the board, Dirno is 100% accurate that you just can't pass on him.

5) FB - I think everyone is overlooking the need here. This might even need to be higher than this. If we could bring in a Lorenzo Neal type of a guy in here to lead block for Julius/Barber, (who is our guy of the future again?), like he has for LaDainian, I think it makes a HUGE difference for our running game. How many times did you see Campbell or Witten move in motion only to stop behind the QB to lead block? How many times did you see those plays work? The other team knew right away we were running and we didn't play action with that worth a shit. If we line up in the I with a Neal-type I think it helps exponentially. I just think we need to address this and address it FAST.

6) WR - I fear that we are going to bring TO in here, so I think this position becomes even less of a need for at least another year. Even if we don't, we have some young talent in Crayton and Copper that both might end up being pretty special. This past year should be a fine example that if both Glenn and Keyshawn are healthy, we have a very formidable receiving corps. If there is a can't miss on draft day, grab him, otherwise I guess you consider TO and shore up the other areas on draft day leaving next year for the big WR year, (1 on first day and 1 on second).

7) DL - If Ellis and Glover leave we will need to add some more depth to this position. With Spears, Canty and Ferguson, we will also need to bring in someone with speed to rush the QB as Ware alone can't do it all. Spears and Canty are good, but they are more of a run-stopping combo than sack threat. I think we need a Peppers-lite to put on the end when we spell our guys to try to make something happen. Maybe Canty becomes that, but I would like to see our sack production increase from the DE position.

I think that pretty much sums up our Cowboys and I really hope we can get this all done in one off-season. If so, we damn sure better make the playoffs next year!!!

Last edited by Male30Dan; 01-11-2006 at 12:08 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:52 AM   #6
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I take kickers with my 1st-5th picks.

seriously I would like to see some WR help...and a couple "big fat ladies" on the O line would be nice..

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:04 AM   #7
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Lavar Arrington... interesting.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:44 PM   #8
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

I'd sign top OT in FA, draft a FS if Huff is there, if not trade down into 2nd and pick up a 3rder, then with 2 2nds and 2 3rds, draft FS, 2 LBs, and either a super fast WR if available( in the Jerome Mathis mold) or a huge DT to replace Glover(or add depth if Glover stays). Then find the most reliable Kicker in FA.
My point being spend $ on reliable offensive veterans and kickers, and continue to draft a young, big , fast defense, that will carry the team for years.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #9
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
I'd go Tackle in the first, WR in the 2nd and sign Corey Chavis.

Of course if Huff is still on the board he'd be hard to pass up. I have a feeling he'll be gone due to his ability to move back and forth between corner and safety. Especially if he can come in at 4.4 or under.
I'd have to agree here - if Huff is on the board at 18 you have to take him. He's the cover safety you need and he's proven to be an intelligent hard worker.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:20 PM   #10
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Huff or Jimy Williams
Old 01-11-2006, 03:03 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't taken time to think about this yet in-depth, but a few comments:

I think the need at kicker is a little bit overrated. Yes, we do need one, but if you look around at the rest of the league, the kicking ain't that great there, either. I would love to have a Neil Rackers, but how many of those are out there. We'll find someone, somewhere. Not a big worry. In fact, my main concern is getting someone good at kickoffs.

I highly doubt Dat is coming back. But don't forget Kalen Thornton, who spent this year on the IR. (And Burnett should make significant strides in his second year.) Also don't forget about Beriault coming in to compete at safety, and the possibility that Peterman might contribute next year on the OL.

I think there will be a shakeup in the defensive line, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the #18 go there.

Huff, of course, would be very nice, and might even be worth trading up if it comes to that after all the pre-draft stuff has sorted itself out.

Also keep in mind that the Cowboys may end up with a LOT of money under the cap, so free agents could fill a number of holes. Anthony Henry, anyone?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:06 PM   #12
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I don't know Chum. If you look at some of the better teams in the league like the Patriots and Colts they all have 2 of the best kickers in the game. I don't think you need a great kicker to contend in this league but I don't think you can go into the season with a Billy Cundiff kicking for you. Its not a huge need but its something that shouldn't be blown over.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #13
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I haven't taken time to think about this yet in-depth, but a few comments:

I think the need at kicker is a little bit overrated.

I think you are very wrong here!

In fact, my main concern is getting someone good at kickoffs.

I considered putting this as an item on my list near the bottom, but I think the Irving native will figure out his case of fumbleitis

I highly doubt Dat is coming back. But don't forget Kalen Thornton, who spent this year on the IR. (And Burnett should make significant strides in his second year.)

I didn't forget Thornton... The kid needs to show me something to give me a reason to remember him... The same was with James this year... He was invisible and then finally figured it out... Before he is in my plans, he needs to show that he has figured it out! I have more faith in Burnett, but the same goes with him. The only difference is he will be given more time.

Also don't forget about Beriault coming in to compete at safety, and the possibility that Peterman might contribute next year on the OL.

I mentioned him and I think Beriault needs a good look, but he might just be a good special teams player and thats it. Peterman is a backup!

I think there will be a shakeup in the defensive line, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the #18 go there.

It would me with our needs! The DL is FAR down the priority list!

Huff, of course, would be very nice, and might even be worth trading up if it comes to that after all the pre-draft stuff has sorted itself out.

Maybe, but I would hate to lose any additional picks, even late second rounders.

Also keep in mind that the Cowboys may end up with a LOT of money under the cap, so free agents could fill a number of holes. Anthony Henry, anyone?

Are you insinuating that we get rid of Henry??? Did you actually watch the Cowboy games WITH Henry and the games AFTER Henry got hurt??? Talk about two different defenses... Henry was TERRIFIC before he got hurt and never really recovered. Expect the same guy you got in San Diego next year! He is also GREAT against the run and I love having CBs like that!
Old 01-11-2006, 05:28 PM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

No, I meant that Henry was a great FA acquisition that filled an area of sore need, and that perhaps we mght be able to do the same thing at other positions this year with the money we have to spend. Henry was great when he was healthy.

On the LB's, I was just talking about draft priority. Any kid you bring is going to need to show you something, too. I look at Thornton as like a rookie this next year, but with a year already in the system.

You will start worrying a lot about the defensive line if Ellis and Glover go elsewhere. Something just tells me that a high-profile player will be added here.

I think Beriault will be a rotation player in that backfield, whoever else they bring in. The kid is a football player, and he'll find his way onto the field.

I'm not too worried about having all seven draft picks this year. There just aren't as many spots open as there were last year, and that's even before we go free agent shopping. I don't expect any late-rounders to make this year's squad.

Sure, you want a great kicker if you can find one. But I don't think you can just say "Okay, screw this, I'm going to go out and get a good kicker, no matter what it costs." What store are you going to buy one at?
Old 01-11-2006, 05:55 PM   #15
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Vanderjack and Vinitari(sp) are both free. I need to know how much the Boys have under the cap to determine if we should throw big money at them.

I realize that there's only one Rackers but our kicking last year was piss poor. We get average kicking and we're 11-5.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:45 PM   #16
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
Vanderjack and Vinitari(sp) are both free. I need to know how much the Boys have under the cap to determine if we should throw big money at them.

I realize that there's only one Rackers but our kicking last year was piss poor. We get average kicking and we're 11-5.
COMPLETELY agree! With that said we have NO shot at Vinatieri... NONE!

Again, with a clutch kicker that can make chip shots in tight games, we are actually 12-4, (13-3 if you think we can finish of St. Louis at home with playoff seeding on the line)!!!
Old 01-11-2006, 07:56 PM   #17
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
No, I meant that Henry was a great FA acquisition that filled an area of sore need, and that perhaps we mght be able to do the same thing at other positions this year with the money we have to spend. Henry was great when he was healthy.

AAHHHH... Much better to hear that as I thought you had went crazy!

On the LB's, I was just talking about draft priority. Any kid you bring is going to need to show you something, too. I look at Thornton as like a rookie this next year, but with a year already in the system.

I guess that is fair with Thornton, but just like with Julius, major injuries, if they prove to be something a guy gets regularly, is held against them

You will start worrying a lot about the defensive line if Ellis and Glover go elsewhere. Something just tells me that a high-profile player will be added here.

I think they will need depth, but neither one played much over the final few games and they aren't really in our plans. Bottom line, we have our starters and guys like Pepper, Ratliff, and Coleman will keep me from "worrying a lot."

I think Beriault will be a rotation player in that backfield, whoever else they bring in. The kid is a football player, and he'll find his way onto the field.

Well, I have the exact same HOPES, but we will just have to see on this...

I'm not too worried about having all seven draft picks this year. There just aren't as many spots open as there were last year, and that's even before we go free agent shopping. I don't expect any late-rounders to make this year's squad.

Good teams stay on top by continually drafting guys that can fill in if you have an injury. You want to be as deep as possible and if they can draft 7 guys that are better than guys like Gurode, Peterman, Ratliff, and the like, I certainly welcome it. I also welcome drafting a guy that is supposed to replace Richie Anderson as the 2nd back but ends up challenging Jones for the starting spot. Let's make this team better through the draft; surely we know that plan works as Cowboy fans.

Sure, you want a great kicker if you can find one. But I don't think you can just say "Okay, screw this, I'm going to go out and get a good kicker, no matter what it costs." What store are you going to buy one at?

I listed this need at #2 for a reason... I think you do just about anything to make it happen if you know you bring in a 80-85% kicker in here, (with potential for an even better year)!
That's just me!
Old 01-12-2006, 12:47 AM   #18
chumdawg
Guru

I didn't know that Vinatieri and Vanderjack were free, but I still don't think that changes it a whole lot. Kicker is a very, very low skilled position when compared to the rest of the roster. You can sign a guy off the couch, and he will probably make every kick inside of 40 for you. It's just not a hard job to do.

Again, not that the Cowboys don't need to address their kicking game, but certainly that they don't need to spend a draft pick or even spend big free agent dollars on it. Get a guy who can make almost everything inside of 40, and who can kick the ball off well, and you aren't going to lose ground to much of anybody.

For the record, I'd like to hear you justify how we would necessarily be 11-5 with "average" kicking. What, are you counting the Rams game (that's okay with me) and counting the Broncos game? I'm here to tell you: there are no guarantees on any kick, no matter who kicks it. And even if we had made the kick against the Broncos, we still may have lost.

Not that I wouldn't have loved to have had a higher-percentage kicker, but let's not get carried away in counting wins that a kicker could have gained. And--again--for that matter, it's alwaysL which kicker? You know as well as I do how carefully Bill fine-tunes the roster in an attempt to win games. Don't you know that if there were a better option at kicker, he would have taken it?

Dan...what can I say...I love your enthusiasm...Coleman and Gurode don't necessarily do it for me...but I'm keeping an open mind!!
Old 01-12-2006, 01:08 AM   #19
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
I didn't know that Vinatieri and Vanderjack were free, but I still don't think that changes it a whole lot. Kicker is a very, very low skilled position when compared to the rest of the roster. You can sign a guy off the couch, and he will probably make every kick inside of 40 for you. It's just not a hard job to do.
Yea, he'd probably make every kick when you worked him out...like you said, that's easy for those who can do it. But what will the guy off the couch do on Thanksgiving in front of 70,000 people and the entire country?

I'm counting the Seattle and the Denver games. I know the Broncos game is a little more iffy but I feel like if we could have taken the lead there that we would have won.

BTW, Longwell is a FA also.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:25 AM   #20
chumdawg
Guru

Seattle counts, but that wasn't that hard a kick. My thinking is: don't you imagine that if nothing else, the odds are with us, and we make it next time?

Again, if there is a guy who will make FG's at an 80%+ clip, let's draft him, and draft him early. Otherwise, let's stay in the same boat that most other people are in.

On FG's inside 40, I don't see any reason to want Longwell over Suisham. It's outside 40 and on kickoffs that makes great kickers what they are.

By the way, is there a chance your dad gets in this year?
Old 01-12-2006, 01:32 AM   #21
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I think he's in. He was just up a couple of years ago so the fact that the veterans committee nominated him so quickly tells me that they think an injustice was done. It would kind of be a slap in the face to that committee if they didn't vote him in. That being said, they did it with Bob Hayes and the overall class is strong so you never know.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:46 AM   #22
chumdawg
Guru

I didn't think about that aspect (the veteran's committee acting so quickly)....that's good to know. Makes perfect sense to me. If it's too strong a class, though, there is always next year. I don't know how these things go. Any predictions? I am thinking Aikman is in, though I don't know the protocol on first-ballot guys. Madden I would think should definitely be in there--for the sum of his contributions--but again, I don't know how these things play out. I would think that Mike would have to wait a few years.

And for the record, if there is a way for the 'Boys to get a top-notch kicker, I'm all for it. I just doubt there's a way.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:14 PM   #23
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Whos your dad?
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:55 PM   #24
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Rayfield Wright
Old 01-13-2006, 11:53 AM   #25
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
And for the record, if there is a way for the 'Boys to get a top-notch kicker, I'm all for it. I just doubt there's a way.
Just heard Jerry on the Ticket. Norm asked if he planed to go out and sign a veteran kicker in FA and without pause, Jerry answered in the affirmative.

Good news
Old 01-13-2006, 12:09 PM   #26
chumdawg
Guru

Yeah, I heard that too. He certainly sounded like he didn't want to put up with that revolving door anymore!

Interesting that he also said he thought the snapper progressed a great deal throughout the year. I know that a few of our botched attempts, especially when Cortez the Killer was here, had a lot to do with bad snaps.

By the way, what happened to Condo?

Interesting, also, that receiver was the first word out of Jerry's mouth when he talked about what talent they hoped would be there in the draft. Didn't he mention linebacker second?
Old 01-13-2006, 12:21 PM   #27
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Interesting, also, that receiver was the first word out of Jerry's mouth when he talked about what talent they hoped would be there in the draft. Didn't he mention linebacker second?
He did. Maybe he has confidence that Petite will improve.

I wanted to draft a reciever last year so we could have gotten the rookie year out of the way. Len Pasquarelli of espn.com wrote an article leading up to last years draft about how few first year recievers make an impact. I think we're ok at the position this year (if Gllen stays healthy) but at some point we need an injection of youth.

OTOH, you see impact linebackers come into the league every year. This season we saw Ware, Thurman, Merriman and Tatupu make big impacts on their respective teams.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:17 PM   #28
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Well, after Jerry's interview I feel better that the Cancer that is TO is not coming to Dallas.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:04 PM   #29
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Did he actually say that U2 or was it infered from him saying that they were looking WR in the draft? I didn't get to hear it so I am curious. I'm not sure Dallas could stand Keyshawn and TO on the same field.

Give me the damn ball....No....give it to me.....pout pout pout....
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:31 PM   #30
Drbio
Banned

Default Drew Henson to NFL Europe

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2292147

Cowboys announced today that they will send QB Drew Henson to NFL Europe. Looks like a last chance to me.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:14 PM   #31
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Eeeks....should have been done last season. It's frustrating to see teams waste time.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 01:24 PM   #32
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Eeeks....should have been done last season. It's frustrating to see teams waste time.
They didn't send him last year because they still thought he could play. A year ago there was hope that Henson could challenge Bledsoe for the starting job. If you have a young QB that you think can play, you want him at your facility working out with your coaches and trainers everyday. That's why guys like Phillip Rivers and Aaron Rogers go to Europe even though they could use the playing time.

They spent the entire summer working on his throwing motion and release point. I wonder if that didn’t screw him up even more.

When you send a kid to Europe the message is "we don't think he can play but let's see if he'll pleasantly surprise us". It happened with Jake Delhome so I guess there's a chance.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:05 PM   #33
chumdawg
Guru

Actually, I heard Jerry Jones (I think it was) on The Ticket speaking very optimistically about the idea of sending Henson over there. In other words, he didn't sound like it meant they had given up on him.

In fact, he very pointedly answered "no" when the questioning with Norm went something like this:

Norm: With all the cap money you have, with keeping Bill, etc., does that mean you are going all out this year to win it all?

Jerry: Yes, definitely.

Norm: Does that mean you will look to add a veteran backup QB?

Jerry: No. Not at all.

Something like that. I may have interpreted it wrong, but my impression was that they had faith in Henson/Romo.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:17 PM   #34
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I know Jerry wants it to work but things can change quickly. What if theres a QB that they like in the 4th or 5th round? If Henson stinks it up in NFL Europe don't you think they'd be more likely to take the guy.

He's not the only one that could use some field time. Romo played his college ball at a low level and hasn't thrown one pass in when it mattered.

I just hope he gets to a team that can protect him...Hutchinson went over there and got killed behind a below average line.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:43 AM   #35
Dropstep

Dropstep will become famous soon enough

If Huff or Williams are not there, i personally would be a fan of trading down to pick up another early second round pick and some other mid round picks. With the 2 second rounders we have if this happens, I would pick up a tackle (the boys love to take o-linemen in the second round historically) and Omar Jacobs (the Qb out of Bowling Green) with the higher of the 2 second round picks. Seriously, if Drew goes down (which is another reason the O-line should be addressed in both the draft and free agency), you cannot convince me Tony Romo is going to lead this team to the playoffs. Hutchinson and Romo are backup QB's...and lets not forget the fact that Henson was 26 years old as a rookie with Dallas... so even if he reaches the pinnacle of his career in 2 years and is actually a "decent" starter, he will be over the hill in football terms.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:01 AM   #36
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
If Huff or Williams are not there, i personally would be a fan of trading down to pick up another early second round pick and some other mid round picks.
What Williams are you talking about?

Quote:
(the boys love to take o-linemen in the second round historically)
without much success. Of course I'm not a big fan of this tackle class so I guess I'd be ok with waiting until the 2nd round.

Quote:
Seriously, if Drew goes down (which is another reason the O-line should be addressed in both the draft and free agency), you cannot convince me Tony Romo is going to lead this team to the playoffs.
Then again who knew Jake Dellhome could play before 2003. Like Romo he came from a small college and sat on the bench for two years. I wish we could have gotten him on the field this year.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:29 AM   #37
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Is their a nasty MLB coming out this year that might be avaialbe at 18?

I still think that LB is the biggest need on this team, especially if Dat is gone.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:18 PM   #38
chumdawg
Guru

Heard on the Ticket this morning that the Jets offered a third-round pick for Romo, at the trade deadline last year, but Parcells thought he could get a two if he wanted to trade him.

The Cowboys like Romo a late!
Old 01-17-2006, 05:25 PM   #39
dirno2000
Diamond Member

My two thought:
1) Does this means our playcalling gets even more conservative
2) I wish somebody would take Zimmer
-----------------------------
Saints to name Cowboys' Payton new coach
Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
Posted: 10 minutes ago

Another coaching vacancy has been filled.

FOXSports.com has learned that the New Orleans Saints have agreed in principle to a deal to make Dallas offensive coordinator Sean Payton their new head coach. The two sides are trying to iron out a final contract, which has not yet been signed.
Payton interviewed twice with Saints general manager Mickey Loomis, as did Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson. Other top candidates included Browns offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon and former Packers coach Mike Sherman.

Payton won out after strong recommendations from close coaching cronies inside the division, Carolina's John Fox and Tampa Bay's Jon Gruden, as well as from many others throughout the NFL. He was offered the Raiders' coaching job two years ago but turned it down.

The Saints were searching for a coach who would work well with a young quarterback. New Orleans has the second overall pick in April's draft and is expected to draft either Matt Leinart or Vince Young with that selection. Hiring Payton makes sense in that regard.

Payton is Bill Parcells' offensive coordinator after having served the same role with the New York Giants under Jim Fassel, where he worked with Fox. He also worked under Gruden in Philadelphia.

The team is expected to make an official announcement on Wednesday.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:31 PM   #40
Drbio
Banned

Thank goodness. Payton sucked. His play calling was awful.