Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-11-2006, 09:46 PM   #41
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Yes, Owens is frustrated with role with Cowboys

By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer
October 11, 2006

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Terrell Owens screamed it on the sideline against Philadelphia, in the locker room after a loss and repeated it again Wednesday: "Why am I here?"

The volatile receiver admits he's frustrated with his role on the Dallas Cowboys, but not simply because he's off to his worst start in years. According to T.O., he'd be fine if Dallas was winning and he had mediocre statistics.

It's the Cowboys' being 2-2 combined with the reduced numbers that he can't tolerate.

"I do have a problem when I don't feel like I'm involved enough," he said. "I know I can make a difference. That's not me being arrogant. I just know what I bring to the table. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here. ... I want to win. I came here to help this team win."

Owens spoke the entire 45 minutes the locker room was open to reporters, passionately describing his feelings on many subjects. He even revealed that the ongoing issues he's faced the last few months, from a hamstring injury in training camp to an accidental overdose, have driven him to "sit in my house in the dark" instead of having much of a social life.

He never directly criticized quarterback Drew Bledsoe or coach Bill Parcells, the playbook or the play calling.

In fact, T.O. had few specific complaints -- just the general one about not getting the ball enough.

"I haven't really gotten started yet," he said.

Owens has 17 catches for 232 yards and one touchdown. It's his fewest catches after four games since 1999 and his fewest yards at this point since 2002. His three-game streak without reaching the end zone is his longest drought since 2000.

In a loss Sunday against the Eagles, his former team, Owens caught only three passes for 45 yards. However, there were 13 passes thrown his way -- five more than to any other Dallas receiver, Parcells noted Wednesday. Owens dropped one and two were intercepted, including one that likely would've been a touchdown.

"The opportunities are there," he said. "We're just not connecting."

Owens knew when he signed with Dallas in March he was joining an offense that wasn't designed to showcase a specific receiver. However, he acknowledged for the first time Wednesday he expected that to change for him -- like it did in Philadelphia.

"Dude, I am playmaker," he said. "These guys know that. It's simple. ... Get the ball in the playmaker's hands."

Owens was mostly supportive of Bledsoe, especially compared to how he's talked about his previous quarterbacks. He even added he is working on his route-running "to give the quarterback better looks, things of that nature."

"I think we all need to play better," Owens said. "That was one of the things he came up to me and said. Even after the game, he sent me a text that said, `Stay with me,' he'll play better for me. You can only respect that. He's trying his best to get the ball to me in certain situations. It's hard when he has a lot of pressure on him."

Bledsoe reiterated Wednesday that T.O. is a quality receiver who wants the ball and the quarterback is happy to try getting it to him.

"I've never had a receiver, at least not one who is worth anything, that was happy with the number of times they touch the ball," Bledsoe said. "I told him when he got here, `Listen, I don't expect you to be happy all the time. If you don't get to touch the ball enough, I don't expect you to like that. At the same time, you have to keep playing hard for me and give me good information when you come back.' And he's been very good about that."

Owens thinks he's been good about it, too, adding he's not trying "to come in and stir things up ... to create more controversy and distraction around here."

"I wouldn't say I'm unhappy," said Owens, who is making $10 million this season as part of a $25 million, three-year deal. "I'm not happy about the losing. I just feel like there's really an opportunity for something really special to happen here in Dallas with the team that we have. Once we get the nucleus of guys in the right positions to play and play as a unit, then we're going to be OK."

But is T.O. going to be OK?

"I don't go nowhere," he said. "I don't do nothing. It's frustrating. It's frustrating just to go (through) what I have been going through since training camp. I've had the hamstring. Then I break my hand. Then I go to the hospital. Then personal stuff.

"My way of venting is going out there on Sunday, trying to win ballgames. Now it's added frustration, especially when I know we have a good team. And the team we lost to, they know they should have lost. We made too many mistakes to win. We are stopping ourselves."

Owens watched the game film of the Eagles game with teammates Monday ("It was sickening," he said), then saw a replay of the Fox broadcast Tuesday night on the NFL Network.

He was still peeved Wednesday about some of the things discussed about him, especially the repeated shots of him barking at his teammates.

"The guys in the booth are saying, `There he goes again, he's up to his old stuff again,"' he said. "It's very unfair. ... It makes me hesitant to try to do what I need to do."

Besides, if he wanted to really do something shocking and get across his message, he could always borrow from the repertoire of his Dallas predecessor, Keyshawn Johnson.

"I need to get a shirt -- `Give me the damn ball!"' Owens said, smiling wide and laughing. "I am just kidding. I am just kidding."

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2006, 07:35 AM   #42
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a TO fan by any means. Didn't want him here. I can say that I think they totally mis-use him though, and don't utilize his talents.

I have to agree with him- this time. He is a huge threat, and they need to design something to start getting him the ball.

IMO, he didn't say anything wrong - this time - and what he has said is far less than Michael Irvin said every week. It just wasn't as big of a media story.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:27 AM   #43
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's the blue/away jerseys. They are bad luck and need to be burned (even though they are the better looking ones).
Old 10-12-2006, 09:35 AM   #44
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360°
If this article is true then obviously T.O. thought he was brought here for a much different reason than has been presented to him so far.

Theres a difference between wanting to friggin win for the team and wanting to win for himself. Albeit it that separation might look drawn together to some of you.

It's like.... we're too damn worried about making him the main reciever because we're afraid of him getting too big headed, with good reason. What then? Are we going to limit him the entire year just beacuse it's "omg T.O. this T.O. that hes a parasite/cancer/[insert disease here]; if he starts catching touchdowns he's gonna get all cocky and ruin the team."

Now that I look at it, I dont think T.O. fits into this system at all. Not because hes the cancer and all that crap that you people want to keep believing but because he HAS to be the main reciever and he thrives under that role. Right now I dont know who the number one reciever on this team is. Frankly, they are all at the same tier right now with Glenn a little but ahead.

Edit:
Leave it to the Texans to make things look way better than they really are or ALOT worse than things appear right now. =)
and thats a problem. he is LIGHT YEARS ahead of terry glenn as a football player.(sorry chum) Not using him is retarded. He is one of the top 10 weapons in all of football and the boys dont try to get the ball in his hands. Thats poor coaching.(and poor qbing but we all already knew we had a poor coach(now) and a poor qb so i dont know why everyone is shocked by this)
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:19 PM   #45
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Glad to see he is keeping a good head on his shoulders. That fire inside him is what's going to eventually light up this offense and subsequently this team.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:00 AM   #46
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360°
I think it's the blue/away jerseys. They are bad luck and need to be burned (even though they are the better looking ones).
Yeah, what's up with that? Didn't they always wear white home and away until this year?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:04 AM   #47
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

make him running back

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:16 AM   #48
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

^ t.o. should touch the ball 30 times a game

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 10-13-2006 at 09:16 AM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:43 AM   #49
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
^ t.o. should touch the ball 30 times a game
Make him a ball boy.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #50
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
Make him a ball boy.
Haha...Classic

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:13 AM   #51
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Throw him the damn ball.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:04 PM   #52
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Yeah, what's up with that? Didn't they always wear white home and away until this year?
The home team has the option of what jerseys to wear. I guess in the past Jerry was able to pay off the other team to let the boys wear their whites.
Flip41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:05 PM   #53
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
make him running back
A reverse might be of good use every once in a while.
Flip41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:44 PM   #54
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i like the blue jerseys
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:48 PM   #55
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Man I can't wait to see the Texans this week, who had the 1st pick in the draft, so they obviously drafted Reggie Bush....

man I bet Reggie Bush breaks one this week. The Texans were wise to pick him....
Old 10-13-2006, 03:45 PM   #56
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

"http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2624142"

I am a 49er fan and was his biggest backer even when he started going through his crazies and becoming a national figure (LOVED the star stand) but now that's he's two teams and three seasons removed, I'm seeing that he really is a baby. You guys need to win the Super Bowl or he's going to get upset along the way and he will blame somebody but himself. Anything else is likely-implosion.

I'm just not sure the maintainence that goes into keeping TO productive and happy is worth the production you get from him anymore. And yes, his QB sucks and he's probably playing in the wrong system but it is what it is.

He needed a Steve Young type throwing to him and a Jerry Rice type opposite him to keep him in line and I don't think he'll ever find that again.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:28 PM   #57
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

T.O.'s tardiness leads to argument with coach

Owens, Haley clashed after WR was late to Wednesday's practice 02:45 PM CDT on Friday, October 13, 2006

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News IRVING – There might be a reason behind Bill Parcells' decision to not talk about Terrell Owens the last two days.
According to multiple sources, Owens was late to Wednesday's practice, leading to a heated discussion with passing game coordinator Todd Haley. On Thursday, however, Owens and Haley met and squashed the issue.
Owens was not available for comment. The incident is not expected to affect Owens' playing status for Sunday's game against Houston.
During his media availability on Wednesday, Owens expressed frustration with how he was being used in the offense, which has contributed to his 17-catch, 232-yard, one-touchdown start to the season.
During Sunday's game at Philadelphia, Owens, who was held to three catches for 45 yards in his return, was seen mouthing, "Why am I here?" and, "Are you kidding me?" and had several animated discussions with Haley.
On Wednesday, Owens again questioned why he was with the Cowboys.
When asked Wednesday why he thought he was not involved more, Owens said, "I don't know. I honestly couldn't tell you. All I know is, dude, I practice hard every day. The guys know that. When I'm on the football field on Sundays, I try my best to do whatever I can to help win games. For whatever reason, that's not happening."
This is the second off-field issue involving Owens and practice. He missed a team meeting and rehab session on Aug. 25, resulting in a $9,500 fine.
Since signing a three-year, $25 million deal with the Cowboys that included a $5 million signing bonus, Owens' time with the team has not gone smoothly. He missed 21 practices during training camp with a hamstring injury, broke his right hand Sept. 17 vs. Washington and suffered an accidental overdose on painkillers on Sept. 27.

Parcells tired of all the T.O. talk, too

By CLARENCE E. HILL JR.

STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

IRVING - Apparently suffering from Terrell Owens overload, Cowboys coach Bill Parcells refused to answer any questions about his receiver Thursday.
"I have no comment on Terrell. Period. Because I don't want to talk about him anymore. I'm tired of it," Parcells said.
Parcells refused to elaborate on whether he was tired of questions from the media or tired of Owens, who has made headlines daily since training camp.
After missing most of camp with a sore hamstring, Owens suffered a broken hand in Week 2.
More than a week later, he was hospitalized after an accidental overdose.
On the field, Owens is off to his worst start since 1999. After catching just three passes in Sunday's game at Philadelphia, he questioned why the Cowboys brought him to Dallas. Owens reiterated his concerns about having a limited role in the Cowboys' offense on Wednesday.
When asked about Owens' remarks, Parcells declined to comment, although he did say Owens has been a big distraction.
"I'm just tired of it, that's all," Parcells said. "I'm not talking about it anymore."

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 10-13-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:37 PM   #58
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like extra butter on that popcorn...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:48 PM   #59
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
and thats a problem. he is LIGHT YEARS ahead of terry glenn as a football player.(sorry chum) Not using him is retarded. He is one of the top 10 weapons in all of football and the boys dont try to get the ball in his hands. Thats poor coaching.(and poor qbing but we all already knew we had a poor coach(now) and a poor qb so i dont know why everyone is shocked by this)
At one point, he was light years ahead of Terry Glenn. But, I don't see that now. At this point in the season, TO's not getting separation from defenders and doesn't look like he has his usual speed. And no, he hasn't exactly shown the ability to catch the ball consistently. So, no, he's nowhere near light years ahead of terry glenn as a football player.

As for anyone that says that the Cowboy's aren't using TO, well, you either haven't watched the game or you're as dumb as a box of rocks. If he'd catch the damn ball, he'd be putting up good numbers. But, he's dropped a minimum of 6 passes already this year. Once he gets separation, runs good routes, and catches the ball, ...if he's still not getting the ball, maybe then he can whine. But at this point in the season, the biggest culprit for his lack of productivity is himself. Anyone that thinks differently is an f'ing idiot.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:57 PM   #60
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
At one point, he was light years ahead of Terry Glenn. But, I don't see that now. At this point in the season, TO's not getting separation from defenders and doesn't look like he has his usual speed. And no, he hasn't exactly shown the ability to catch the ball consistently. So, no, he's nowhere near light years ahead of terry glenn as a football player.

As for anyone that says that the Cowboy's aren't using TO, well, you either haven't watched the game or you're as dumb as a box of rocks. If he'd catch the damn ball, he'd be putting up good numbers. But, he's dropped a minimum of 6 passes already this year. Once he gets separation, runs good routes, and catches the ball, ...if he's still not getting the ball, maybe then he can whine. But at this point in the season, the biggest culprit for his lack of productivity is himself. Anyone that thinks differently is an f'ing idiot.
I'm still in favor of Bledsoe being the QB right now, but Bledsoe is certainly equally culpable for TO's lack of production. Bledsoe's certainly missed TO on more than 6 easy throws, two of which were TD's.

TO certainly has room to improve, but don't act like he's the only problem with the offense.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 10-14-2006 at 01:57 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:04 PM   #61
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I"m not saying that Bledsoe hasn't missed throws. All QB's miss throws. But, not all #1 receivers drop a tremendous amount of passes, run mediocre routes, don't get good separation, and bitch and moan relentlessly about it being everyone elses fault.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:09 PM   #62
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

If he has 6 drops, 5 of them were in the Washington game while playing with a broken hand.

If you think 3 for 45 against the Eagles was about drops and lack of seperation then you're the idiot.

Yes, he alligator armed a ball but that would have been a 5 yard completion on 2nd and long.

Quit believing everything you read.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:44 PM   #63
Murphy3
Guru

I believe that some of you would drop on your knees and suck on his cock if given the chance.

TO has always been a guy that has dropped passes. That has always been the knock on him. As for not believing everything that I read...I don't. I'm not a sports idiot such as some of you. I'm actually capable of watching a game and not throwing out idiotic opinions. TO isn't getting that open. He doesn't have his same explosiveness. He still doesn't catch the ball as well as most of the better receivers in the NFL.

As soon as he stops dropping the damn ball and starts getting open, he will have more of a gripe. But through 4 games, him not having the same explosiveness, not running consistent routes, along with dropping passes...all of that leads to him being the main reason why he's not having a great season. Yes, Bledsoe has also been bad. I have no problem with saying that. But, so has TO. No one has a problem with saying that Bledsoe has been bad.. But, many dumbasses come to TO's defense any time there's criticism of him..or any time he makes an ass out of himself by speaking out about not being a big enough part of the offense.

Don't be one of those dumbasses.

Here's the bottom line... Anyone that gripes about TO not being involved enough...anyone that takes up for anything that TO has said... well, there's no justification for either at this point in the season.

Last edited by Murphy3; 10-14-2006 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:54 PM   #64
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I believe that some of you would drop on your knees and suck on his cock if given the chance.

TO has always been a guy that has dropped passes. That has always been the knock on him. As for not believing everything that I read...I don't. I'm not a sports idiot such as some of you. I'm actually capable of watching a game and not throwing out idiotic opinions. TO isn't getting that open. He doesn't have his same explosiveness. He still doesn't catch the ball as well as most of the better receivers in the NFL.

As soon as he stops dropping the damn ball and starts getting open, he will have more of a gripe. But through 4 games, him not having the same explosiveness, not running consistent routes, along with dropping passes...all of that leads to him being the main reason why he's not having a great season. Yes, Bledsoe has also been bad. I have no problem with saying that. But, so has TO. No one has a problem with saying that Bledsoe has been bad.. But, many dumbasses come to TO's defense any time there's criticism of him..or any time he makes an ass out of himself by speaking out about not being a big enough part of the offense.

Here's the bottom line... Anyone that gripes about TO not being involved enough...anyone that takes up for anything that TO has said... well, there's no justification for either at this point in the season.
Hrmm it sure looked like he had about 10 yards of seperation on the second pick Drew through against the eagles. A decent throw and thats a touchdown and he has close to 100 yards and none of this is even mentioned. Hrmm. He was open all game but drew doesnt look to him. That was just the most prominent example. You are flat out wrong on this one murph.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 10-14-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:01 PM   #65
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'd love to know how someone watching a television feed can tell whether a receiver is getting consistent separation.

I'll give you that he has dropped balls. As you said, that's nothing new for him. That's been a problem his whole career. But the separation thing, I'm not seeing it. Parcells has even admitted that most teams have been rolling safeties over the top for most of his routes. And as 5-0 said, there's been several key plays where he's clearly had separation and the ball simply hasn't been there.

Now I agree, he needs to ease off the complaining a little bit, but that's what you get with T.O. He's going to voice his displeasure when he's unhappy.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 10-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #66
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're aware that he's always dropped passes, why are you using that as one of the reasons that he's no longer better than Glenn?

As for separation, he got plenty against Mathis in Jacksonville...Bledsoe under threw him and costs the Cowboys a chance to go up 17-0. He got plenty of separation against Sheppard in the 4th quarter...Bledsoe under threw him which allowed Sheppard to get the pick. He got plenty of separation when going across the middle on key 3rd down play late in the 3rd...Bledsoe threw the ball at his feet and we had to settle for a FG.

If you're watching the games, as you claim, you know that the undertows have been a lot more damaging than the drops.

And unless you've attended every game, you really don't know if he's consistently running good routs or getting separation since the camera is now following him on every play. You're clearly talking out of your ass because you think it makes you sound knowledgeable.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:39 PM   #67
Murphy3
Guru

I understand that Bledsoe is to blame as well. I never claimed that he wasn't. Bledsoe has been horrible. However, it is apparent that he's NOT running consistent good routes. You do not have to see every route to know that he's not running consistent good routes. Why would you? If you see him running some poor routes, that's more than enough info to let someone know that he's not running consistent good routes. Your logic just doesn't make sense with that one.

Now, if you'll go back and read my original post, it's talking about how TO is used. My argument is that TO IS being used enough. Otherwise, he wouldn't have had 13 passes thrown his way last week. Is it always effective? That's a different question. However, the Cowboys aren't just using him as a decoy. They are attempting to go his direction several times every game. It's just not always working. Why? For a variety of reasons. One big reason is that he just isn't catching the ball. Another reason is that he just doesn't look explosive and isn't always running good routes. I'm sorry, but if Parcells or the Cowboys coaching staff says that he's not running good routes consistently, I'm going to take their word for it over some internet jerkoff. Another big reason is that Bledsoe hasn't been remotely consistent either.

All of that comes into play. However, until TO comes anywhere close to holding up his end of the bargain, he needs to shut his mouth. And anyone that would come to his defense for what he's said or the way he's acted is nothing short of mentally retarded.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:44 PM   #68
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Hrmm it sure looked like he had about 10 yards of seperation on the second pick Drew through against the eagles. A decent throw and thats a touchdown and he has close to 100 yards and none of this is even mentioned. Hrmm. He was open all game but drew doesnt look to him. That was just the most prominent example. You are flat out wrong on this one murph.
Ya screw up, I never said that Bledsoe has made every throw. I've said that Bledsoe has been anything from inconsistent to just plain bad. I know that Bledsoe has been poor so far this season.

As for Drew not looking for him, TO had 13 passes thrown to him last game. He's around 10 passes going to him every game. Get your head out of your ass.

As for the play that you're questioning, I know it was a poorly thrown ball. But, I'll also go with Troy Aikman's analysis of the play. Apparently, TO was going at about half speed when the ball was thrown but accelerated after the ball was in the air creating the separation but leaving him out of position to make a play on the ball. It makes it a little more difficult to know where to make the throw when the receiver is half-assing it off the line of scrimmage. But, the ball should have never been thrown.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:47 PM   #69
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
I understand that Bledsoe is to blame as well. I never claimed that he wasn't. Bledsoe has been horrible. However, it is apparent that he's NOT running consistent good routes. You do not have to see every route to know that he's not running consistent good routes. Why would you? If you see him running some poor routes, that's more than enough info to let someone know that he's not running consistent good routes. Your logic just doesn't make sense with that one.

Now, if you'll go back and read my original post, it's talking about how TO is used. My argument is that TO IS being used enough. Otherwise, he wouldn't have had 13 passes thrown his way last week. Is it always effective? That's a different question. However, the Cowboys aren't just using him as a decoy. They are attempting to go his direction several times every game. It's just not always working. Why? For a variety of reasons. One big reason is that he just isn't catching the ball. Another reason is that he just doesn't look explosive and isn't always running good routes. I'm sorry, but if Parcells or the Cowboys coaching staff says that he's not running good routes consistently, I'm going to take their word for it over some internet jerkoff. Another big reason is that Bledsoe hasn't been remotely consistent either.

All of that comes into play. However, until TO comes anywhere close to holding up his end of the bargain, he needs to shut his mouth. And anyone that would come to his defense for what he's said or the way he's acted is nothing short of mentally retarded.
How many of those balls werent even close to him though? Targets and opps to make plays arent the same thing

Last edited by Five-ofan; 10-14-2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:55 PM   #70
Murphy3
Guru

The discussion isn't about whether or not Bledsoe has sucked and made bad throws. The discussion is about TO 'not being used right'. The Cowboys are trying to get him the ball. As I've said 3-4 times already in this thread, they aren't getting him the ball for a variety of reasons:

1. He's dropping passes
2. Bledsoe hasn't been remotely consistent.
3. He doesn't have his usual separation.
4. He's not always running great routes.

Now, bitch all you want about Bledsoe not making the throws. But, TO not catching enough passes isn't because the Cowboys aren't trying to use him right. Him not catching passes has everything to do with TO and Bledsoe's subpar performances. Until TO is performing at a level that's remotely on par with the better receivers in the NFL, he needs to shut his mouth. If Bledsoe was bitching about something right now, I'd suggest that he do the same thing until his level of play was at a higher level. But, Bledsoe isn't a freaking dumbass like TO and his nutsuckers are.

Quit being a nutsucker.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:07 PM   #71
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I think Bledsoe's sucking has affected TO's game more then any reciever could affect a QB's game. A few more quality throws and TO's stats would be better - no doubt.

Not sure about the route thing. TO's been a solid route runner his whole career - learning from the best. He does alligator arm a pass when he feels a big hit coming but I would say he hasn't gotten the ball in his hands enough to do what he does - RAC - and to start accusing him of dropping a lot of passes (Washington game aside).

That said, TO's bitching isn't a solution. That's the part that makes me think of him as a baby. It's not like Bledsoe will be throwing better just because TO is complaining. There needs to be some strategic adjustments - like playing the Texans more often.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:42 PM   #72
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Funny how Bledsoe almost never throws a bad ball Glenn's way. Somehow when he sees the number 81, he magically loses accuracy?

Please.

Bledsoe and Owens just don't know each other very well yet. I'm sorry, but I won't ever believe that Bledsoe "missed" TO by some twenty yards on that interception down the right sideline. It sure looked to me like he was giving Owens a chance to make a play on a jumpball there. He said on his radio show this week that he hadn't seen that "stutterstep move" from Owens before. "That's not how it looked it practice."

Remember that on the next possession he hit Glenn on the mark about fifty yards downfield.

Now, Drew has made his share of eff-ups. The sack he took at the 45 with less than a mineout left and no timeouts was TERRIBLE. Forcing it to Witten on second down at the goal line was terrible, too.

But hey, that's what he's been doing to Owens all season so far: forcing it. They simply are not on the same page. Yet.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:43 PM   #73
Murphy3
Guru

Perhaps it's because Glenn's running better routes at this point in the season.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:05 PM   #74
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Bledsoe and Owens just don't know each other very well yet. I'm sorry, but I won't ever believe that Bledsoe "missed" TO by some twenty yards on that interception down the right sideline. It sure looked to me like he was giving Owens a chance to make a play on a jumpball there. He said on his radio show this week that he hadn't seen that "stutterstep move" from Owens before. "That's not how it looked it practice."
How many times do you see a quarterback throw a jump ball to the 5 or 10 yard line? The jump ball is an endzone play. I don't doubt that TO and Drew aren't in sync, but that was a horrible throw any way you look at it.

Quote:
Remember that on the next possession he hit Glenn on the mark about fifty yards downfield.
That was a bad throw too...should have been a touchdown.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:56 PM   #75
chumdawg
Guru

Oh, that's baloney, D2K, on the Glenn throw. That's just crazy. You are asking for WAY too much if you think a 50-yard throw to a spot a defender can't get to in time to make a play without fouling, and that the receiver easily brings in if he isn't fouled and almost brings in regardless...is not a good throw. That was a very, very nice play. You are going overboard with that. You are claiming it was badly underthrown?

On the TO play, you may be well correct that the ball shouldn't have been thrown. But that's a FAR lesser mistake than somehow missing a guy by 20 yards. What I think happened on that play is they had max protect on and Bledsoe felt like he had to get it to TO whatever happened (this has occurred many times this year), and he reacted to what he thought was an adjustment TO made in the route.

You may not see a jumpball like that a whole lot, but c'mon, if TO did settle down there on the route (like Bledsoe thought he was going to), don't you think there stood a very strong chance that it didn't get picked?

It just all looks like crap because Bledsoe doesn't have a good idea of where Owens is going to be at any given time. If you will consider the whole season up to now, Bledsoe has made some fine throws to Owens--when he knew exactly what Owens was doing. There was the touchdown in the first game, and there were two touchdowns that TO dropped. Now, it looks to the average fan that Bledsoe overthrew him badly in the Jacksonville game. But as many times as I have seen those guys be more than five yards apart, I wonder if TO ran a good route on that one, either.

They just need to get in sync.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:03 PM   #76
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Just for Kiki:

The Cowboys are giving out punishment for the Owens/Haley incident.....but, they're punishing Haly, not T.O.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-15-2006, 06:12 PM   #77
chumdawg
Guru

Kiki won't like that very much. Because Kiki very much enjoys seeing certain people (like Owens) fail. Keke is stimulated by the train wreck and is bored by the train that comes in on time.

I'm sure she will be along shortly to tell you how Owens will be the undoing of the Cowboys. It has become quite predictable.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:42 PM   #78
chumdawg
Guru

I think we clearly asserted our dominance over the NFC East this afternoon.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:02 PM   #79
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I think we clearly asserted our dominance over the NFC East this afternoon.

I think you clearly cemented your second place tie in the division.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:04 PM   #80
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Just for Kiki:

The Cowboys are giving out punishment for the Owens/Haley incident.....but, they're punishing Haly, not T.O.
You may've misread most of this article....starting with the headline.

Jerry Jones is too big an a$$ to cover his own a$$---he has to take Owens' side because the impending T.O. implosion will reflect poorly on his football judgment. Dop't you know Haley wants to tell Jones to go f*ck himself.

Wonder if Parcells didn't nix "disciplining" a member of his coaching staff for a well-known cancer's insubordination. Would be interesting to hear the deliberation between Jones and Parcells that resulted in no disciplinary action being taken.

Cowboys decide not to discipline WR coach

ESPN.com news services

The Cowboys denied Sunday that wide receivers coach Todd Haley will be disciplined as a result of an incident with wide receiver Terrell Owens last week, ESPN has learned.

When asked on Friday by ESPN's Ed Werder whether there would be disciplinary action after the argument between Owens and Haley, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said: "Yes, Against Haley."

He added, "This is not a reflection on TO." (Editorial: No, asshole, it's a reflection on YOU.)

The team on Sunday said no action would be taken.

Owens said on his radio show Friday that his relationship with Haley was ruined by a blowup this week. It began when Owens missed the start of Wednesday's practice because of an upset stomach, and Haley berated him for being late. Owens held his tongue then, but they later argued during a meeting.

The story getting out seems to bother Owens the most because Haley vowed since training camp that all internal matters would stay behind closed doors. Owens spoke with reporters for 45 minutes Wednesday without ever mentioning any problems with Haley. But the incident was reported by several media outlets Friday before Owens gave his side of the story later on his weekly show.

From now on, T.O. said, "there will be nothing else, no other dialogue" between him and Haley.

"There will be no more friendly nothing because I don't trust anybody like that," Owens said. "I will go out and practice hard. I will respect him as a coach, and he should respect me as a player. Anything outside of that I am not going to be able to deal with.

"Right now, we are merely coworkers, and that's it," he added.

After a huge game in the Cowboys' 34-6 win over the Texans on Sunday, Owens softened those comments a little, but not completely.

"He's my coach and I respect him," said Owens, who had three touchdown catches. "That doesn't mean we have to go to lunch together, play cards together."

Haley and Owens chatted before the game and even hugged after the receiver's third touchdown on Sunday.

Owens caught only three passes for 45 yards in a loss to Philadelphia on Sunday. It was a key division game for the Cowboys and a personal revenge game for Owens after the Eagles dumped him midway through last season.

TV cameras showed Owens screaming at Haley -- who also carries the title "passing game coordinator" -- on the sideline during the game. Although teammates said some of his rants were encouragement, Owens admitted saying, "Why am I here?" about his limited action. Coach Bill Parcells later noted that 13 balls were thrown to Owens, five more than anyone else; two were intercepted and one was dropped.

The confrontation between receiver and coach occurred Wednesday, the first time the Cowboys were back on the practice field. A strength coach was sent to get Owens when he was absent.

"By the time I step on the field, Todd starts cursing at me, this and that, and I'm like, 'Dude, I was in the restroom,"' Owens said. "He said, 'I don't [care] what you were doing. Everybody else is out here."'
Owens said he didn't respond, although he later apologized to Parcells and was told, "All right, just try to get out here a little earlier."

Then Owens and Haley butted heads during a meeting.

"I was venting, he was venting," Owens said. "I felt it stayed behind closed doors.

"It's all about frustration. Everybody is still frustrated from the loss on Sunday. At some point, we had our time to vent on Monday, Tuesday and have that bad taste that sick feeling out of your mouth. On Wednesday, it's a new day. It's a new game plan, a new team that we're getting prepared for. That's where our focus and direction should be. But obviously Todd, he's been frustrated, and he's taking it out on other people."

Owens has a history of not getting along with coaches, from his position coach to the offensive coordinator to the head coach. It led to his dismissal from San Francisco and Philadelphia.

Although Owens missed most of the preseason with a hamstring and had a highly publicized accidental overdose, he insists that he's been on his best behavior in his first season in Dallas.

"I know in the back of people's minds they are waiting for something to happen," said Owens, in the first year of a three-year, $25 million contract with the Cowboys. "I have made a conscious effort not to go down those roads again."

Owens made it clear that he'll still listen to Haley, but their discussions must be limited to Xs and Os.

"In business, you have people that work together and don't necessarily get along together," he said.
Owens said "anything is fixable," but he feels his trust in Haley "is being violated."

"I will have a hard time [trusting him] here on out," Owens said.

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 10-15-2006 at 10:06 PM.