Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 02-12-2002, 02:43 AM   #1
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i know on other bulletin boards (UBB, VBB) there is an ignore function which can eliminate all the hassle of dealing with posters you dont like.

is there any way to incorporate that functionality into this BB?
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2002, 09:21 AM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Sadly, No. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] This board doesn't have that feature.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 01:14 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I can understand the utility, but in the short time I have roamed the board it has been my impression that if folks would just not respond to the personal stuff, that it would pretty much go away. Let the kids be kids and if it gets too bad...ban 'em! Let the true fans enjoy each others opinions and insights.

Doc
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 09:12 PM   #4
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Why not make the rating function mandatory and if a poster falls below a certain rating (due to obnoxious or outrageously stupid posts), their posting priveleges get temporarily suspended?

Does anybody even use the rating function anyway?

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 12:00 AM   #5
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

That's an interesting idea but since most people don't seem to use that function (even when it's enabled), I don't think it would be fair to kick people off because of low ratings.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 01:03 AM   #6
Drbio
Banned

To be honest, I'm not sure what the rating system is as a newcomer to this forum.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Doc
Old 02-21-2002, 10:22 AM   #7
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

It's in your Profile but yours isn't turned on.

Click on Profile at the top and click "Allow Users to Rate You" to ON.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-21-2002, 07:18 PM   #8
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

How do you see how others rate you?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 07:44 PM   #9
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

It can be viewed in your profile (if it's enabled).
Old 02-21-2002, 07:46 PM   #10
djb
Administrator

Err you have to enable the "let others rate me" function AND have your profile visible.
Old 02-23-2002, 04:39 PM   #11
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i dont want to seem like i'm complaining here.

but finding a board with an ignore function would be an incredible idea. i know for sure that VBB has the ignore function built in. the functionality is better than this board, and its pretty easy to implement.

http://www.vbulletin.com/?AID=1163318&PID=87179

and its pretty easy to port over. let me know if you need help porting things over to VBB. i'm just getting fed up with the name calling on here and the deliberate attempts by people to keep posting "insider" information and smack when its pretty obvious they can't back it up. and when you ban them, they keep coming back, like a bad case of genital warts or something.
Old 02-23-2002, 04:55 PM   #12
djb
Administrator

Yea I'm still considering moving to vBulletin one of these days, but I'm just not sold on its current version. I mean it's a nice program, but I just don't think it's worth the extra $160 for the few extra features it brings over this board's software, which I still think is much easier to use in general (and of which I've spent at least $250 on so far). I'm definitely keeping an eye on the vBulletin updates though, since that's where I see us going eventually.

As for the source of your complaints, me and the mods are currently discussing what to do about it. Stay tuned.
Old 02-24-2002, 01:34 PM   #13
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

i might be able to get VBB for free. i seriously suggest implementing a three strikes and out program. publicly or privately warning a person three times. after that unconditional permanent ban.
Old 02-24-2002, 01:36 PM   #14
djb
Administrator

Our new 4-Strike Policy was put into effect earlier today. Check out the post in the Mavs forum.
Old 04-03-2002, 03:48 PM   #15
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

This looks interesting
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 02:46 PM   #16
atheos
Administrator

atheos has disabled reputation

djbacklash,
you may want to consider upgrading this board to the latest version of fusetalk.
The newest version has quite a few new features, and it isn't expensive to upgrade.
then again, I just now went to the e-zonemedia.com site, and they raised their prices!!
by quite a bit!
bummer
atheos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 08:48 AM   #17
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Something I liked about the Wolves site - they have AP and newspaper article links at the top of the board. Very cool.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 08:49 PM   #18
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

AHHH! I really need the IGNORE function!! Please!!!
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 09:00 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

an ignore feature would be incredible for the joe joes and murphy3's of the world.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:30 PM   #20
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

AHHH! I really need the IGNORE function!! Please!!!
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 10:21 PM   #21
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

my offer to help port over the existing site still stands!

get rid of JOEJOE.

say no mo JOE JOE.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:06 PM   #22
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

http://www.ikonboard.com/

its free and a definate upgrade over the current BB that dallas-mavs is running. i would be willing to help you port everything over. its got features galore. let me know.
Old 08-30-2002, 09:58 AM   #23
djb
Administrator

I'm pretty much set on either vBulletin or phpBB. What are your thoughts on those two aexchange? I'm not a very technical person (esp after this yearlong layoff from design/programming) so I'm doing some research on vBulletin right now. I don't want to be lame and use some pre-made skin, so I'm trying to see how difficult it is to customize the look of the board (since I think the default look blows). phpBB was recommended by a friend, and since it's free and has nearly as many, if not more, option than vBulletin, I'm having to look into that as well.
Old 09-15-2002, 08:51 PM   #24
Drbio
Banned

does it have an ignore feature?
Old 09-19-2002, 12:16 PM   #25
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

yes

Old 09-19-2002, 12:30 PM   #26
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Do any of you moderators, administrators, and otherwise experience bb citizens see any drawbacks to an ignore function?

I'm not sure how it would work, but is there a danger to the board perhaps splitting into subboards in which separate groups of posters ignore other groups? Not thinking that this would be done purposefully, but I can see those that enjoy frivolous 'who's the cutest' posts would ignore those long winded analytical posters and vice versa. Would this present moderating challenges?

just curious.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 12:34 PM   #27
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Smart thinkin' Lurk. That's always a possibility, although USUALLY in the past, our group has done a better job of being a community than that.

But - you've got a good idea. I guess one idea is to have a Mavs Discussion and a Mavs Lite forum. Ya know. It would help with keeping up with threads, in addition to separating the styles of different topics. `
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 02:24 PM   #28
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

honestly, i dont think you need to separate people.

i use the ignore function on other bb's primarily as a means to not read talk thats designed to incite flaming. and i believe im in the large majority of ppl who would use it as a means to block joe joe, rcf, etc...
Old 09-19-2002, 09:06 PM   #29
Drbio
Banned

The ignore feature is a great idea. Whereas you might think it splits posters into groups, that might be the best benefit. If people with like interests are talking that is great. And they don't have to put up with the Dirk has a nice haircut kind of filler.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:15 PM   #30
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's a bad idea, myself. All the possibilities will be talked over.

I think if we just be sure to keep threads on topic, then it's okay. It's easy to skip a thread -- you just read the title, and either click or skip it.

But, hopefully we don't have anyone who is going to lobby other members to put "so and so and so and so" on their ignore list. i.e., "be like me, ignore ______."
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 09:35 PM   #31
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

<< &quot;be like me, ignore veruca&quot; >>

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 12:51 AM   #32
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

The ignore function won´t split the forum into groups. On other boards it is simply used to get rid of trolls. Anything else is way to complicated and people tend to be lazy.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 10:14 AM   #33
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

fair enough. I can see it being very useful for discouraging trolls.

I'd hate to permanently ignore someone who started posting better material. I guess logging out and viewing the board as a guest would allow me to see all the material posted to the board.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:59 AM   #34
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

the ignore function acts just like a block on a buddy list. if you feel like you want to read what they have to say, you can take them off your ignore list. its a pretty neat little feature, and it wont hurt to have it in place.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:22 PM   #35
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Default ignore function

Is this an option with the new software? Or do we only have PM ignore?
Old 06-29-2003, 11:30 AM   #36
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default ignore function

Does the other person know that he/she is blocked by me?
Old 06-29-2003, 05:01 PM   #37
Drbio
Banned

Default ignore function

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
Does the other person know that he/she is blocked by me?
I think it tells them when they try to send a pm.