Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #281
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

What's really overrated is your opinion on American Sniper.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2015, 10:04 AM   #282
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
What's really overrated is your opinion on American Sniper.
Derp.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:55 AM   #283
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
American Sniper- Unbelievably overrated, but cool action scenes. And hey, the movie was pretty accurate from the actual story.
I don't know about that... the actual man was very clearly a racist psychopath who just happened to be wearing a uniform.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:26 AM   #284
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

He was? I'm glad that most people don't agree with you. Yes, the far left..but that's about it.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #285
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not saying that he doesn't make some good movies. He does. He just doesn't show much acting range. As for Book of Eli, I thought that was terrible.... Couldn't even finish it.
Book of Eli was terrible? Really? It's by far the best of the post apocalyptic movies that have come out in the last few years
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:59 PM   #286
Murphy3
Guru

Yeah, I couldn't finish it. I don't know that the genre is 100% up my alley.. but, I've seen significantly better post apocalyptic movies. But you might be right..they might not be in the past handful of years.

Last edited by Murphy3; 03-30-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:22 PM   #287
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, I couldn't finish it. I don't know that the genre is 100% up my alley.. but, I've seen significantly better post apocalyptic movies. But you might be right..they might not be in the past handful of years.
Only better post apocalyptic movie I can think of is the postman off the top of my head.

What turned you off to it? The Christian aspects? The action scenes?
Old 03-31-2015, 08:01 AM   #288
Murphy3
Guru

Just wasn't worth a crap. It's not like it was a respected movie. It had less than 50% rating at Rottentomatoes.com. I like action movies..but just never got into this one at all.

All of the Mad Max movies are better....
Old 03-31-2015, 12:40 PM   #289
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Just wasn't worth a crap. It's not like it was a respected movie. It had less than 50% rating at Rottentomatoes.com. I like action movies..but just never got into this one at all.

All of the Mad Max movies are better....
Couldnt make it through the first 30 minutes of mad max. Its terrible.

Ive never really worried about whether or not other people like a movie.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:36 PM   #290
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Speak of Mad Max--

Anyone excited for the new one. Could be a colossal bomb like John Carter, but they are doing everything right with the advertising and tone.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:12 PM   #291
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
Couldnt make it through the first 30 minutes of mad max. Its terrible.

Ive never really worried about whether or not other people like a movie.
My only point was that the Book of Eli is generally considered to be rather mediocre to bad.

I suppose you and I have the exact opposite opinions of the two movies. And honestly, I have trouble with Denzel movies at this point in his career. His lack of range shown in movie choices bothers me. I get tired of seeing play the same types of roles. You need a strong black man to play a strong black man in a movie..pick Denzel. He has shown less range the past decade than Sean William Scott.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #292
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Saw and really, really liked Furious 7. More than maybe any other movie franchise, these movies know what they are and don't try to be anything else. The only two relatively minor criticisms I have are that (A) The Rock wasn't in it nearly enough and (B) they pretty obviously weren't very forthcoming about how much of the film was already finished by the time Paul Walker died. His character's individual scenes and story arc as a whole just seemed really uneven. The movie fluctuated quite a bit between shoehorning him into the sub-plots and having his character around in scenes where he didn't have anything to do. To the casual viewer it probably really worked but for me he stuck out almost every time he was on screen. It seems very obvious to me that they had to scrap an entire subplot of his when he passed. I thought they had a very classy (albeit rushed) sendoff for the character though.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #293
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

It Follows-- amazingly good horror film. Worth seeing if it's where you live.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:08 AM   #294
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Speak of Mad Max--

Anyone excited for the new one. Could be a colossal bomb like John Carter, but they are doing everything right with the advertising and tone.
I'm actually really excited. Just think the old ones sucked.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:16 AM   #295
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
It Follows-- amazingly good horror film. Worth seeing if it's where you live.
Saw it at the drafthouse in Richardson when it opened in limited release. Solid idea, but I found it kinda boring and not scary.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:26 PM   #296
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm actually really excited. Just think the old ones sucked.
I'll agree on the original Mad Max. It does not hold up well - pretty boring, actually.

But Thunderdome is still awesome. WHO RUN BARTERTOWN??
Old 04-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #297
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I never thought I'd say it after those godawful prequels, but I'm officially excited about Star Wars again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:32 PM   #298
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I never thought I'd say it after those godawful prequels, but I'm officially excited about Star Wars again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs
The first teaser got me more excited, but it still looks like a decent movie (tempering my expectations). I'm not crazy about the new storm trooper helmets, but I suppose that is being picky.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:23 PM   #299
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

excuse me while I go change my pants... (Front and back)

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 04-16-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #300
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Practice effects!

Old 04-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #301
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

So was Harrison ford flying that star destroyer at the beginning?
Old 04-17-2015, 08:41 AM   #302
Murphy3
Guru

With the exception of Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back, I've always kinda been "meh" with regards to Star Wars..
Old 04-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #303
Underdog

Quote:
With the exception of Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back, I've always kinda been "meh" with regards to Star Wars..
Totally agree - that's why I'm going into this with cautious optimism... But, damn, do I WANT to love it!

Old 04-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #304
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Isn't that how pretty much everyone views star wars? OT good (with ROTJ being decent), prequels bad.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 04-17-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #305
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:46 AM   #306
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
Isn't that how pretty everyone views star wars? OT good (with ROTJ being decent), prequels bad.
Some people like the prequels I suppose.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #307
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
I'll agree on the original Mad Max. It does not hold up well - pretty boring, actually.

But Thunderdome is still awesome. WHO RUN BARTERTOWN??
Never seen thunderdome. Watched the first one, hated it didn't go back
Old 04-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #308
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Some people like the prequels I suppose.
I never want to to meet those people.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #309
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Never seen thunderdome. Watched the first one, hated it didn't go back
So your claim that the old oneS sucked was a downright, dirty lie!
Old 04-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #310
Underdog

"Tell me... do you bleed?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwfUnkBfdZ4

Old 04-17-2015, 08:02 PM   #311
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
There are some damn fine-looking movie trailers coming out lately...

I don't think Man of Steel was a great movie by any means, but I liked it overall... Although I'm probably Zach Snyder's target comic book audience, having grown up with grimdark 80-90's titles like Watchmen, Death of Superman, and The Dark Knight Returns.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-17-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:18 PM   #312
spreedom
Diamond Member

Last edited by spreedom; 04-17-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:03 PM   #313
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Right - man of steel was just ok to me. But I always loved the Miller Dark Knight Returns story. And this seems to be influenced by that story a great bit.

I'll keep my expectations low, and hopefully be pleased with the result.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:05 PM   #314
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Another trailer released recently - better look at ant-man. This actually has increased my expectations for this one

https://youtu.be/pWdKf3MneyI
Old 04-17-2015, 10:23 PM   #315
Murphy3
Guru

Ben affleck... I'm pro a ly out on it.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #316
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night- Very good little art house vampire flick. Great soundtrack.

John Wick- Surprisingly good. Epic club scene steals the show also with great music.

A Most Violent Year- Disappointed in this one. Slow, and not really violent.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:20 PM   #317
Five-ofan
Guru

i finally got around to watching furious 7. Good god is it awful.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:27 AM   #318
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Ex Machina

So good. All filmed in a hotel in Norway but one of the best sci-fi films this year

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-26-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:16 AM   #319
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. Those Northmen have become good in filmmaking. "North" f.e is excellent - but only original language with subs.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:01 AM   #320
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Saw Avengers: Age of Ultron last night.

I liked it, probably right on par with the first one.

It's a movie that feels bloated, but also somehow doesn't have enough exposition... A LOT of stuff happens VERY fast. But overall, I liked the stuff that focused on the team. I could discuss more, but don't want to spoil anything.