Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Dallas-Mavs.com Stuff

Old 07-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #1
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default We need more mods

I sent DJ a pm about this and never got a response, so I'm going to post something here in hopes that more people will contact him about this.

We need more mods. I don't know when the last mod was designated, it was before my time I think. Regardless, the board has changed a lot since then, and for a while now we've had one person doing basically all of the mod work on this site.

U2 does a great job, but I have to think it gets tiring for him to be the only one to deal with spammers like the one that hit the board today. He's also the one that has to go through every gameday thread and cleanup all the posts.

We have a ton of great, regular posters that spend a lot of time on this board that could help out with this. And no this is NOT a self-nomination. I am way too argumentative to be a mod.

Seriously though, this is the best Mavs board on the net, by a mile. Should we really have to wait until U2 gets home from church to get rid of all these stupid posts that we were spammed with overnight?

*NOTE* I did this completely without consulting U2, so hopefully he appreciates the sentiment.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
And no this is NOT a self-nomination. I am way too argumentative to be a mod.
I think this applies to most the regular posters around here and probably explains our shortage of mods...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
I think this applies to most the regular posters around here and probably explains our shortage of mods...
True, but there are people that could do it. I can think if one Alien that has been campaining lately that would be perfect.

Now, his running mate........

And there are others.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 07-06-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
True, but there are people that could do it. I can think if one Alien that has been campaining lately that would be perfect.

And there are others.
DrBio could supply us with a dozen mods at once if he still posted here...

Old 07-06-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to know who´s admin and who´s mod currently.

Last edited by GermanDunk; 07-06-2008 at 10:50 AM.
GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't MavsFanFinley a mod?

And you see aexchange whatever around sometimes, but other than that... (I think he's a mod anyway..)

Last edited by Flacolaco; 07-06-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #7
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Dallas-Mavs.com owner/administrator djbacklash and its moderators LonestarROB, MavsFanFinley, Rhylan, aexchange, kg_veteran, mavsfanforever, and u2sarajevo.

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

KG and MFF are around but I don't think they do a whole lot of modding.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-06-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Yes, the only really active is u2...

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Old 07-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

We've been talking about adding more mods and throwing some names around. Once we agree on who to name I think DJ can make it official.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #11
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

^ You are the other active one...

"Talk to the claw."

Old 07-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #12
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley
We've been talking about adding more mods and throwing some names around. Once we agree on who to name I think DJ can make it official.
Ah well that's good to know.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #13
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

I nominate Zoidberg as as candidate for Bavaria and the outer areas of our solar system.

Last edited by GermanDunk; 07-06-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #14
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

I think Zoidberg would be good but I didn't ask him if he wanted the position...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #15
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

It should be sike, dude, and alby.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #16
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Alby needs someone to moderate himself during cowboy season.

I'm all for dude. Maybe he could change some of Janetts' posts in the political forum

Last edited by Flacolaco; 07-06-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #17
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

True ! dude could paint the black door red.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #18
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry fellas... I was in Houston without a laptop for vacation.

I hate those stupid new bots. I feared the board might get slammed, if it was only one that is pretty good...
Old 07-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #19
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
It should be sike, dude, and alby.
I am truly, truly honored. If asked, I would love to help out the board, in any fashion or form. Regardless, I love this place and will continue to post and refer as many new members as I can =]

Flaco, you didn't talk about sike

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 07-06-2008 at 06:48 PM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #20
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Sorry fellas... I was in Houston without a laptop for vacation.

I hate those stupid new bots. I feared the board might get slammed, if it was only one that is pretty good...
No aplogies needed at all. This post was not meant to infer that you are not holding your own. It was merely a call to get you some help.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #21
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I agree that Dude would seem like a logical choice. And Evil.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #22
Underdog

I'm all for making Dude a mod if we make Janett one too - otherwise, I'd prefer if we kept emotional, strong-willed, and grumpy posters (the Chums, Flacos and Underdogs around here) out of positions of authoritah... Some of us just have too much of an opinion to moderate...

Are we actually getting another mod or is this thread just a reaction to the WoW-Bots?

(because U2 does a great job, but I'm all in favor of getting him a some help...)

Last edited by Underdog; 07-06-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #23
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
I agree that Dude would seem like a logical choice. And Evil.
Does this post mean that the hypothetical appointment of dude was would be both a logical, and "evil" choice?
Old 07-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #24
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

What is required of a Mod?
Tasks. . .
Time. . .
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #25
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
I'm all for making Dude a mod if we make Janett one too - otherwise, I'd prefer if we kept emotional, strong-willed, and grumpy posters (the Chums, Flacos and Underdogs around here) out of positions of authoritah... Some of us just have too much of an opinion to moderate...

Yep...I'm the kind of guy who needs to be moderated, not who needs to moderate...you, on the other hand, could probably pull it off...but that would mean the loss of a willing and able debater, and in the end that wouldn't be any good.

Now, a guy like jacktruth could very well be suited nicely for the job.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:50 PM   #26
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Yep...I'm the kind of guy who needs to be moderated, not who needs to moderate...you, on the other hand, could probably pull it off...but that would mean the loss of a willing and able debater, and in the end that wouldn't be any good.

Now, "Jacktruth" is a name you can trust! (like Honest Abe...)

Personally, I'd have no interest in ever being a mod - I'm too fond of dropping the occasional f-bomb!

[add "interest" to your list of requirements, jacktruth...]

Last edited by Underdog; 07-06-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:58 PM   #27
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Along those lines, I really think this board should have a "no rules" policy on gameday threads. For the most part, they are the only threads that happen in "real time," if you will, and that introduces a wholly different set of parameters. Posts come quick, and emotions run high. By the threads' very nature, posters hardly stop to think about what they are posting...because things are happening too quickly. The gameday threads are more or less a real-time conversation. It's one thing to say something in immediate conversation and another thing to contribute it to an asynchronous discussion.

I would bet that 80+% of the language editing that mods do is attributable to the GDT's.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:14 PM   #28
Underdog

Yeah, censorship is one thing, but battling spam is the priority (unless you're interested in buying 1,000,000 WoW credits - then, FIGHT THE POWER!)

Old 07-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #29
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I don't know why there's this perception that a moderator can't have a strong opinion on something. That's certainly not a requirement, I wouldn't think.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:41 PM   #30
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Along those lines, I really think this board should have a "no rules" policy on gameday threads. For the most part, they are the only threads that happen in "real time," if you will, and that introduces a wholly different set of parameters. Posts come quick, and emotions run high. By the threads' very nature, posters hardly stop to think about what they are posting...because things are happening too quickly. The gameday threads are more or less a real-time conversation. It's one thing to say something in immediate conversation and another thing to contribute it to an asynchronous discussion.

I would bet that 80+% of the language editing that mods do is attributable to the GDT's.
chum for president

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:43 PM   #31
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

If you elect chum....well hope, hope change, change and stuff
Old 07-06-2008, 10:50 PM   #32
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

I´m admin for a board and i can tell you it only gets you in trouble

Last edited by GermanDunk; 07-06-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:58 PM   #33
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
If you elect chum....well hope, hope change, change and stuff
For too long we've been members of a board that has been controlled by the "special interests." We've been made...to believe...that our voice doesn't matter. That it's the Flacolaco's and the alby's and the U2sarajevo's who matter. They say...we can't do anything about that. But I say...yes, we can.

They say...we can't come here and express our opinions. They say...we can't come here and share our ideas. They say...we can't question authority...or demand that our forum be a better place...than it was for the people who came before us... But I say...yes, we can.

They call us foolish. They say that we can't change...the establishment. They say the powers that be are bigger and larger than whatever grass-roots movement we can assemble. They say that we can't participate in this board's politics...and I say...YES, we CAN!

Folks...this is the most important issue that we will face on this board in our lifetimes. We are at a crossroads. The question before us is whether we will stand back, silent, and watch the old way of doing things continue to dominate...or whether we will rise up, with our voices united, when they tell us we can't, and say loudly...YES, WE CAN!
Old 07-06-2008, 11:07 PM   #34
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Giggle.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:04 AM   #35
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I am Chummy's running mate.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:24 AM   #36
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley
The election of the mods which will be added, is not a democratic process...

"Talk to the claw."

Last edited by Dr.Zoidberg; 07-07-2008 at 04:25 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:57 AM   #37
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:

Are you saying I'm not a willing and able debater? Of course, there are a lot of master-debaters around here.

I would be interested, but I would want to know what a moderator does. If it's sitting around reading threads and collecting money, for example, I'm in. Beyond that, I would need to consider the details.

Last edited by jacktruth; 07-07-2008 at 09:00 AM.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #38
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg
The election of the mods which will be added, is not a democratic process...
Not everyone pays taxes here. And the ones that do, do so willingly.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #39
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Quote:
But didn't you see the way cool graphic he made???? That alone seems to justify his continually annoying (and humorless) existence 'round these parts.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #40
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I think Mary would be a great mod.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote