Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-28-2002, 12:55 AM   #1
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

We must avoid Portland who is the hottest team in the NBA. We all know they have talent, but if they are putting their act together I don't want to be the team facing them in the first round

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2002, 01:10 AM   #2
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

But honestly, which of the playoff teams would you want the Mavs to face? Seattle, Utah, San Antonio..all three are just as dangerous as Portland.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 01:16 AM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, as of right now, the Lakers are the only team I don't want to have to face in the first round.

Portland is probably next on the list, but my mind might change after meeting both teams in the regular season with the new additions.
Old 02-28-2002, 01:22 AM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

You know, I never bought into that. Once the playoffs begin I want to knock off all in the way...bring on the Lakers and anyone else. To be the best you should want to beat the best. Go Mavs!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 01:27 AM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I didn't really think of it like that Drbio.

That's why I said might change my mind after seeing how we do in the regular season (remaining gamees) against those teams with the new guys.

Just having a lack of playoff experience, I wonder if the Mavs can get that look in their eyes this time around?
Old 02-28-2002, 01:59 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

personally..i'd rather have an easier first series..screw knocking off all of the best..the playoffs are long and grueling..so it would be nice to have an "easier" first round victim
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 03:09 AM   #7
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

I would like them to play Utah. I think they have a better chance of making this slowly declining team say uncle before any of the others.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 04:25 AM   #8
Scrack

Scrack is on a distinguished road

Lets hope we face the Clippers. They might of beaten us twice this year but they are all so young that they couldn't handle the playoff pressure. Every other team we could face have players that have had some playoff experience. Bring on the Clippers for the first round, they lack experience.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:24 AM   #9
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

No DON'T bring the Clippers. The Clippers are probably the most likely to pull of a first round upset. They are actually the deepest team in the league IMO and can turn it on at any time. Not to mention the fact that they OWN the Mavs. Every time Jeff Mcginnis plays against The Mavs and Nash he turns into Gary Payton. Let's hope they facea different team.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:21 AM   #10
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

I don´t fear Utah, Seattle, Clips or Suns in the first round.
I do agree it would be nice to avoid Minnie, Sac-to, Lakers and Spurs, maybe even Portland in an early series, but I don´t really worry about them either.

Mavs CAN beat anyone.
Playoff success is always kinda gambling, but either you have a good team, or you don´t.

I think WE do.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:24 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

the deepest team of athletes..but the clipps aren't the deepest team of basketball players
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 12:32 PM   #12
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

LAC: Barring injury to Payton or Stockton-to-Malone, the Clippers, who are 3 1/2 games out of the playoffs now, will not make the playoffs this year. If they do, their inexperience will make them fresh meat for the #1 seed [BTW, RCF, 2-1 on the season series is not 'owning' a team. otherwise we could say that Minnesota owns the Lakers.]

Utah: Our current matchup and most likely actual opponent in the end. Good match-up for the Mavericks as Dallas has continued to improve while Utah has continued to slump.

Seattle: Next most likely. Dangerous, but not nearly deep enough to deal with Dallas in a series.

Portland: Probably the worst case scenario at this point for a matchup. I think the Mavs would clearly beat them but it would probably go to 5 games and be a very physical series making the 2nd round that much harder.

San Antonio: Its a long shot but the Lakers are only a half-game back and Minnesota is hanging tough a game back. If Dallas lets some games slip they could end up in 4th and playing San Antonio. This year, though, I actually think Portland is the more dangerous matchup.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 11:03 PM   #13
Epitome22
Golden Member

The Clippers have completly dominated the Mavs the last 2 times they played them not to mention they scored at will during the first game too, but the Mavs were hotter. In each of the three games a clipper player has either gotten a season or career high. When I ssay the Clippers are the deepest team in the league I mean that in addition to quality role players like Piatkowksi and Sean Rooks, they have 3 guys in Maggete, Q Ricj and god's onw original prototype Darius Miles coming off the bench who probably would be undisputed starters on other teams. They are extremely quick and athletic and we all know the kind of troulbe the Mavs have with "Athletic" teams, all in all I would rather not try and awaken the chance of Q Rich and Piatkowski bombing 3s and Miles and Maggete flying in for Alley Oop after Alley Oop on their way to a first round upset over the Mavs until the Mavs prove they can decisivly beat them.