Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-14-2001, 11:31 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

ESPN.com
Tuesday, August 14, 2001
Rockets awaiting Rice's medical results
Associated Press

HOUSTON -- The Houston Rockets postponed a news conference to introduce new acquisition Glen Rice on Tuesday because team doctors weren't finished reviewing his medical records.

Rockets spokesman Tim Frank said physicians were taking longer than expected to examine results of Rice's physical.

A foot injury forced Rice to miss much practice time last season with the New York Knicks. He played in 75 games and started 25. His scoring average, 19.5 points per game for his 12-year NBA career, dropped to 12 points per game last season.

Houston acquired the three-time All-Star in a three-team trade Friday that also involved the Knicks and Dallas Mavericks.

Howard Eisley went from Dallas to New York, Shandon Anderson went from the Rockets to the Knicks and Muggsy Bogues went to the Mavericks from New York.

Rice arrived in Houston on Monday to take his physical.

"Right now it's still up in the air," Rice, discussing the health of his foot, told Houston television station KRIV Monday. "I haven't had the opportunity to get out there and do any pounding on it to gauge if it's better. Over the next couple of days, I hope to get out there and tell whether it's gotten a lot better.

"I think there is still pain but I think I can play through it. At the same time I want to get it as close to 100 percent as possible."
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2001, 11:38 PM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

LOL MFFL, while I was making my post--the phone rang, so you beat me to it...

As you can see from my post, Im not too happy about it. And is it me or does Rice seem to be making things worse by his comments? I take it he's not too happy about being in Houston.
Old 08-15-2001, 08:42 AM   #3
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

That might destroy all of our "dreams" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

cool 2 posts on the same topic, nearly at the same time...
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 11:23 AM   #4
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Well he better get over it, why would he want to be in NEW YORK where he's not wanted either.
Old 08-15-2001, 11:58 AM   #5
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

He didn't want to play in Dallas anymore neither!
Old 08-15-2001, 05:18 PM   #6
TheKid
Diamond Member

According to Rice, he's confident everything will be fine, and that's GREAT news as far as I'm concerned.

Rockets awaiting Rice's medical results

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

HOUSTON -- The Houston Rockets postponed a news conference to introduce new acquisition Glen Rice on Tuesday because team doctors weren't finished reviewing his medical records.

Rice

Rockets spokesman Tim Frank said physicians were taking longer than expected to examine results of Rice's physical.

A foot injury forced Rice to miss much practice time last season with the New York Knicks. He played in 75 games and started 25. His scoring average, 19.5 points per game for his 12-year NBA career, dropped to 12 points per game last season.

Rice arrived in Houston on Monday to take his physical, but he flew back to Miami on Tuesday to await the Rockets' decision.

He told Houston television station KRIV that he was confident he'd passed the physical.

"There's no doubt in my mind," Rice said. "I think everything is going to turn out great. I'll be a Rocket."

Houston acquired the three-time All-Star in a three-team trade Friday that also involved the Knicks and Dallas Mavericks.

Howard Eisley went from Dallas to New York, Shandon Anderson went from the Rockets to the Knicks and Muggsy Bogues went to the Mavericks from New York.

Old 08-16-2001, 10:16 AM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

New York Post
SPICE RICE WITH PICK
By KEVIN KERNAN

August 16, 2001 -- The Glen Rice deal is a bit undercooked for Houston's liking. So the Rockets want the Knicks to add a bit of seasoning - a conditional draft pick, according to sources, if Rice is not able to play a certain number of games because of his ongoing foot problems.

Rice was dealt to the Rockets on Friday in a three-team deal that brought the Knicks forward Shandon Anderson and guard Howard Eisley. The deal was contingent upon Rice passing a physical with the Rockets. After getting a look at Rice's left foot, the Rockets put the trade on hold on Tuesday, saying they want a closer examination of the foot and the plantar fasciaitis.

Houston GM Carroll Dawson released a statement last night saying all of Rice's medical information has been forwarded to the team physicians as of late yesterday, and that the club would make a final decision on the deal by tomorrow at noon.

The Knicks are in hiding and will not talk about the trade. The Rockets, according to sources, want the Knicks to throw in that conditional draft pick to protect themselves if Rice's balky left foot severely limits his playing time next season.

It's not known if the Knicks will go for such a deal, but it is doubtful this trade will die. Rice met with his agent Jeff Wexler yesterday in Miami. Neither Rice nor Wexler returned phone calls to The Post.

On Monday, Rice told a Houston TV station he had no doubts he would pass the Rockets' physical, saying, "I think everything is going to turn out great. I'll be a Rocket."

The reality of the situation is that the Knicks, Rockets and Mavs do not want to see this deal blow up because they each got rid of something they don't want.

The Knicks dumped Rice, who has three years left on his contract; the Rockets got something for free-agent Anderson, a player they did not want to pay $40 million over six years; and the Mavs got rid of Eisley to free up space for Tim Hardaway.

The Rockets also got the outside shooter they crave and the Knicks got younger, even though their payroll is now a hideous $82.40 million next season. When you're going on 29 years without a championship, you become desperate.

In addition, the Rockets are caught short on outside shooting if Rice is FedExed back to the Knicks. Free-agent Matt Bullard, their top 3-point shooter, has signed with Charlotte. They desperately need Rice and coach Rudy Tomjanovich wants Rice on his team even though Rice scored a career-low 12 points a game as his minutes were cut in Jeff Van Gundy's Bermuda Triangle offense.

When in doubt, Tomjanovich always takes the shooter, so look for Rice to land in Houston. It would be very difficult for the Knicks to welcome back Rice after dealing him away.

So the Rockets will try to squeeze a draft pick out of the Knicks. Since the Knicks don't ever seem to do anything with young players except send them away, this does not seem like an impossible situation with tomorrow's high noon deadline looming.
Old 08-16-2001, 11:06 PM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

The articles coming out now seem to be positive about the trade going through---whew!

At least he passed his physical to the satisfaction of Rudy T. and team doctors--first reports figured he failed.

I wonder if Houston will be able to get a pick out of it? I hope so, cause I'd be pissed if Houston backs out because of a freaking pick.

I want this business to be settled between us and Miami and bring Hardaway aboard. Enough with these delays.
Old 08-17-2001, 09:49 AM   #9
MFFL
Guru

NEW YORK POST
RICE TO ROCKETS IS ALL BUT DEAD
By MARC BERMAN

August 17, 2001 -- The Glen Rice blockbuster is on its death bed. The Knicks have rejected the Rockets' demands for a lottery-protected, first-round pick from the Knicks, multiple sources told The Post last night.
Unless things change today, the Rockets were prepared to flunk Rice on his physical at the noon deadline, squashing the three-team deal that would have netted the Knicks Shandon Anderson and Mavericks point guard Howard Eisley.

There is a chance the Rockets could be bluffing, but Mavericks coach/president Don Nelson told The Post last night he plans on having Eisley back this season.

"I'm sensing it's not going too well," Nelson told The Post. "We're expecting Eisley's going to come back to us and that's fine with me. It looks bad but I haven't been told officially it's dead."

If the Rockets squash a trade they agreed to last Friday, citing Rice's failure to pass the physical, the Knicks only recourse is to appeal to commissioner David Stern.

The Rockets, belatedly concerned about Rice's injured foot, were attempting to extort more compensation from the Knicks. The Mavericks offered to sweeten the pot but the Rockets, according to Nelson, "wanted more than we were willing to give."

One league official called the proposed deal "very iffy," adding "The Rockets are trying to get more out of the Knicks."

The Knicks were standing firm on their original offer in which they sent Rice to Houston and Muggsy Bogues to Dallas while netting free agent Anderson in a six-year, $42 million deal and Eisley. The deal was a sensible one, relieving the Knicks of their starry perimeter glut of Latrell Sprewell-Houston-Rice while bringing in two younger players in Anderson and Eisley. Obviously, having Rice return now would be an awkward situation.

On Tuesday, the Rockets requested additional medical records on Rice to study his left foot and canceled his introductory press conference in Houston. Rice's foot injury forced him to miss just six games, leading some league officials to believe the concern over the foot is only a smokescreen to the franchise having buyer's remorse over giving up a younger player in Anderson for Rice.

Meanwhile, the players involved remained in limbo. Reached yesterday, Eisley told The Post "My head is spinning, it's hard to talk about this. This is a very different experience. It's very much up in the air. I'm not quite sure what's going to happen. I feel good about the situation in New York, but it's hard to tell what's going to happen."

Eisley was to join a crowded point-guard field that included Mark Jackson and on-the-block Charlie Ward. Eisley has played some shooting guard after losing his starting job to Steve Nash.

"I'd do whatever the coaching staff asks me but I think I'm a point guard," Eisley said. "The Knicks are a great organization and they're going to be a good team year in and year out."

While game missed were minimal, Rice was held out of practice from February on. Rice was placed in a soft cast and told to stay off the foot this summer but still experiences pain. Rice didn't return calls yesterday. His agent Jeff Wexler said "We're waiting on medical reports. We won't comment."
Old 08-17-2001, 09:54 AM   #10
MFFL
Guru

Of course, there is always this story - we'll know by noon whether the deal went through or not. I'm hoping Eisley is gone, gone, gone...
----------------------------------------------------------------

The Associated Press is reporting that the Rockets, Knicks and Mavericks have agreed to their week-old trade. Reportedly, both the Knicks and Mavericks have agreed to give the Rockets "future considerations" to compelte the deal, though no word on what those considerations are.

Earlier today, The New York Post reported that the 3-way trade was almost dead. The Knicks rejected Houston's request for a lottery-protected first round pick to compensate for Rice's injury.

On the other hand, Mitch Lawrence of the New York Daily News reported that all signs pointed to Houston accepting the deal.
Old 08-17-2001, 10:59 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Please............................................ .
Old 08-17-2001, 12:09 PM   #12
MavsFanFinley
Guru

It sounds like the deal is going through...Good, getting rid of Eisley gives us some cap flexibility like Cuban wants and allows us to add a player that can help behind Nash--Im talking about Hardaway. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

What I don't like about this deal is that we're reportedly sweetening the pot as well as the Knicks. What the hell is Houston doing? Was it espn that called it extorting on Houston's part?

All I know is that we better not be adding a future first! How dumb would that be. Yes, it would be nice to get rid of Eisley, but we're only renting Hardaway for a couple years. It's not like we got this stud pg or something. Damn, we're not even going to use Bogues.

Am I being too picky...if we are indeed adding a first rd pick?
Old 08-17-2001, 12:17 PM   #13
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really sick of Houston getting multiple first rounders. I swear that team gets the luckiest breaks each offseason (i.e., Scottie Pippen back when he was the most coveted fa, Steve Francis, Shandon Anderson, even Mo Taylor when his agent was expecting some team to lock him up for the max, and now Griffen).
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 12:46 PM   #14
MavsFanFinley
Guru

(Houston has accepted the trade...because Dallas and NY agreed to "future considerations" What crap! I cannot wait to hear what our part is.)

Rockets take Rice from Knicks in revised deal

August 17, 2001

HOUSTON (AP) -- The Houston Rockets agreed to take three-time All-Star Glen Rice from the New York Knicks on Friday in a trade also involving the Dallas Mavericks.

The deal had been held up for a week while the Rockets reviewed Rice's medical records. To complete the trade, Houston will receive unspecified future considerations from both Dallas and New York.

The deal was expected to get league approval Friday.

On Aug. 11, the Rockets sent Shandon Anderson to the Knicks for Rice. Howard Eisley moved from Dallas to New York, and Muggsy Bogues went from New York to Dallas.

Rice was bothered by a foot injury last season that limited his play.

He has averaged 19.5 points for his career but only 12 points in 75 games -- with 25 starts -- last season for the Knicks. He is expected to be a starter in Houston.

Old 08-17-2001, 02:15 PM   #15
TheKid
Diamond Member

I don't think future considerations constitutes first round only. I think it could be second round also. I know the Knicks were involved in a trade a few year back and they gave up their second round draft pick that was called "future considerations". Also future consideratoins could be actual players. Which is cool, because we have too many players on the roster right now anyway.
Old 08-17-2001, 07:00 PM   #16
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs won't be sending any picks to Houston - only cash (and "well below" the once standard $3 million Cuban throw-in).

With Eisley deal complete, Mavs eye Hardaway

08/18/2001

By JODIE VALADE / The Dallas Morning News

The Mavericks shipped backup point guard Howard Eisley to the New York Knicks on Friday, and at the same time moved closer to landing his replacement.

That might sound like old news, considering the Mavericks actually announced the Eisley part of a three-way trade a week ago. But it took that long for the trade to be finalized -- and it took a little of that well-known Mark Cuban cash thrown in, along with at least one Knicks draft pick -- for the Houston Rockets to agree to accept Glen Rice despite concerns about Rice's injured foot.

The completion of the trade officially secures a $3.2 million trade exception for the Mavericks, the prize they most sought in the deal that also landed Muggsy Bogues in Dallas. Also as part of the deal, Rice went to Houston in exchange for Shandon Anderson.

All that means Miami free agent Tim Hardaway could be headed to Dallas by early next week. The Mavericks have openly coveted Hardaway since the start of the free-agent signing period, but wanted the trade exception to acquire him.

Though Cuban would not specifiy his cash contribution in the three-way deal, it was well below the $3 million NBA-limit that he has thrown into four other trades in the past year. He said the Mavericks did not include any draft picks in the re-negotiations.

Dallas also gave the rights to second-round draft pick Kyle Hill to the Rockets in the trade, but last week Hill signed with a team in France. Cuban said Hill's defection had no impact on Houston's insistence on further compensation in the trade.

Source: With Eisley deal complete, Mavs eye Hardaway
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 07:05 PM   #17
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

one penalty less to take by cuban and this deal is on the green side [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2001, 09:18 PM   #18
MavsFanFinley
Guru

You have no idea how happy I was when I read this. The Dallas Morning News was the first place I looked when I logged on just now. I wouldn't of minded a 2nd round pick going, it's a first that had me twitching. Good to know it's only cash and well below what Cuban usually throws in.

Old 08-18-2001, 09:05 AM   #19
MFFL
Guru

A million dollars. Sigh - It must be nice to be able to kick a million dollars into a deal just to keep it from going south.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Cuban's cash helps Mavericks complete trade
By NATHAN SANDERS
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - It took the equivalent of a 3-point shot at the buzzer, but the three-team deal that sent Howard Eisley to the New York Knicks finally went through - with a little help from Mavericks owner Mark Cuban's checkbook.

After receiving $1 million from Cuban and similar "future considerations" from the Knicks, the Houston Rockets approved the five-player trade just before the noon deadline Friday. Now the Mavericks can focus on bringing in a point guard - and it isn't Muggsy Bogues.

Making the deal provides the Mavs with a $3.2 million trade exception, money which they plan to use to add free-agent point guard Tim Hardaway, a five-time All-Star who played for Mavericks coach/general manager Don Nelson at Golden State from 1989-95.

"We're looking at Hardaway right now," Nelson said. "We're not close. We don't even know if we'll get it done. But he's a guy that we've got a circle around. If not, we'll have to wait and see what fits."

Henry Thomas, Hardaway's agent, said Friday that there's nothing new to report regarding his client. However, he has said before that Dallas is Hardaway's "top option."

Bogues, whom the Mavericks received from New York in the trade, is somewhat less of a factor in the Mavericks' plans. He played in only three games last season with Toronto due to a chronic knee condition, and Nelson doesn't expect him to play for Dallas.

But by giving a cap-strapped team an extra $3.2 million to spend, Bogues might have provided his only assist as a Maverick.

"We just created a salary slot to use in a future deal," said Nelson, who also sent second-round pick Kyle Hill to Houston in the trade. "That's it."

That slot has been in danger since Tuesday, when the Rockets requested additional medical records on All-Star forward Glen Rice and his injured foot before taking him off New York's hands. On Thursday, Nelson said he had a feeling that the Rockets would cancel the trade.

Friday, however, his feelings had changed.

"Yeah, we saved it in the nick of time," Nelson said. "We both threw in some cash and saved it."

Meanwhile, Eisley officially changed teams almost one year to the day after he was acquired from Utah in a four-team trade and signed a six-year, $41 million contract with Dallas.

Eisley, who joins Houston guard Shandon Anderson in New York, averaged 9.0 points per game in 2000-01 but fell into a slump in the final half of the season.

"Eisley was a long-term contract, so we got rid of a long-term contract," Nelson said.