Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #1
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Considering what shows up on my toolbar when I hover over that, I'm not clicking it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:28 AM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

HUH? WHAT?

Link
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFL Counter-programs McCain!
The NFL announced today that the 2008 season will kick-off on Thursday, Sep. 4th -- the same night McCain is set to accept the GOP nomination at the convention in the Twin Cities.

Per ESPN, the game will start 90 minutes earlier because of the convention.

But given that it pits the world champion New York Giants versus America's team, the Washingotn Redskins, Republicans can't be happy about what will inevitably distract attention from the penultimate night of their convention.
Giggle. Yeah right.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 04-01-2008 at 06:28 AM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Commish firms up timeframe for ruling on Pacman's reinstatement

"I'll make a decision prior to the start of training camp," commissioner Roger Goodell said of possibly reinstating Jones, who was suspended for last season for violations of the personal-conduct policy. "I have seen some of his recent comments ... and some of those comments were encouraging. I have always said he has to accept responsibility for his actions."

Goodell, who includes Jones' status among a plethora of topics he touched on at the owners meetings Monday, offered his most pointed comments yet on whether Jones' suspension will cross over into a second season.

Jones wants to play for the Cowboys and Dallas apparently wants to acquire him, but a source close to the negotiations has told ESPN's Ed Werder that trade talks have stalled over the issue of compensation.

The Titans are seeking a fourth-round pick in this year's draft and a fourth-round pick in 2009, according to the source. The Cowboys are so far unwilling to provide either, believing they are the only team pursuing Jones.

A Titans source told ESPN.com's Matt Mosley that there is a feeling within the organization that Jones cannot be reformed and should be traded even though at least one Tennessee defensive starter says players would embrace Jones' return to the team.

Jones said last week in a radio interview with Cowboys Hall of Fame receiver Michael Irvin that he wants to resume his career in Dallas. Jones intends to apply for reinstatement sometime before the April 26-27 draft.

"Dallas, they know the consequences [of a trade] and the status of the player," Goodell said Monday. "I don't feel any obligation to do more than I said, to reconsider his status. I have made no commitment."

Ed Werder covers the NFL for ESPN. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3323489

It seems to me that if the Titans want anything close to what they're asking for, they shouldn't expect to deal Pacman until after Goodell has made an announcement reinstating Pacman. Titans may want value, but right now that value is pretty much zilch since Pacman can't play. I see value in them getting something in return + getting rid of the uncertainty.

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 04-01-2008 at 01:53 PM.
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:28 PM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Defense To Use Radio Signals; Preseason Opponents
dallascowboys.com

IRVING, Texas - With lots of different rule changes being discussed at the NFL Annual Meeting in Palm Beach, Fla., one that actually passed on Tuesday might help clear up what has been an ongoing problem for the last several years.

The league passed the rule allowing a communication device to be installed in the helmet of one defensive player, equaling the offensive side of the ball, where quarterbacks have had use of the device for several years.

While the communication device will be installed in the helmets of two defensive players, only one of them will be allowed to be on the field at the same time. The ability to verbally send in the defensive calls should eliminate having to hand signal the majority of defensive signals from the sidelines.

One of the biggest stories of the NFL season last year involved the New England Patriots, who were reprimanded by the league and had to forfeit their own first-round draft pick for videotaping the defensive signals of the New York Jets in the season opener. The NFL is currently looking into the matter of the Patriots potentially taping opponents' signals for years.

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, who was fined $500,000 by the NFL for his involvement in the Spygate controversy, said he voted for passage of the new rule.

With 24 votes needed to pass any new rule, the NFL owners voted 25-7 in favor of using the communication device on defense. And it probably wasn't a coincidence that the seven teams who voted against the proposal - Green Bay, Oakland, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Seattle, Tampa Bay and Washington - all have offensive-minded head coaches.

Last year, proponents of the new rule totaled just 22 votes, two short of the needed 75 percent the league mandates for all rule changes.

Not only was Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips in favor of the rule, but he said the Spygate issue could have been avoided had this rule been implemented earlier.

"They were filming signals," Phillips said of the Patriots. "If you didn't have any signals, it wouldn't have happened. I'm just happy to get something passed. That way you don't have to worry about it. People were putting towels up in front of people. You shouldn't have to play football that way."

The owners tabled the discussion for a new proposed rule prohibiting players' hair from blocking the nameplate and number on the back of the uniform.

Other rules being discussed at the owners meeting includes offensive players being flagged 15 yards for stiff-arms to the face of defenders and no longer allowing a reception on the sideline when a receiver in the air is forced out of bounds by a defender.

Preseason Opponents Getting Close

With the NFL expected to announce the entire regular-season schedule possibly in the next two weeks, it appears the Cowboys' four preseason opponents are close to being finalized as well.

The team's public relations staff confirmed the Cowboys will play their first two exhibition games on the road in San Diego and Denver.

With the Cowboys returning to Oxnard, Calif., this summer for training camp, it makes sense to travel less than three hours south to face the Chargers in the preseason opener.

The Cowboys will then return to Oxnard for a few days before heading to Denver for a couple of practices with the Broncos before meeting them in a preseason game at Invesco Field at Mile High.

The club will head back to Dallas of the game, with the final two preseason games to be played at Texas Stadium. The Cowboys have not officially announced the two home preseason opponents, but team owner Jerry Jones hinted this week Minnesota and Houston would likely play the Cowboys at Texas Stadium to round out the 2008 preseason schedule.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Disney Land with a bunch of friends for a day this past March. We decided to count people wearing Cowboys gear vs. all other California football teams (SF, SD, Oak) throughout the day when we were there.

Final Score:

Cowboys 14
California Teams 12

Many Romo jerseys.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sources: Pacman offers to cut pay demand for Titans

By Ed Werder
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: April 4, 2008, 6:58 PM ET

While Pacman Jones trade discussions remain stalemated, sources tell ESPN that the Cowboys are convinced that the more than $6 million in guaranteed base salary the Titans are obligated to pay the suspended cornerback over the next three years virtually assures that an eventual trade is Tennessee's only inexpensive solution.

To stimulate a deal, according to sources, Jones has offered to forego money he has earned from and is owed by the Titans if the team drops its insistence he repay a similar amount of signing bonus.

Jones is expected to apply for reinstatement next week following a one-year suspension. Even though Jones had behavioral issues before coming to the NFL that caused some teams to downgrade him or to take him completely off their draft boards, the Titans took him sixth overall in 2005 and agreed to guarantee base salaries of more than $1.2 million for the upcoming season, $1.7 million in 2009 and in excess of $2 million in the final year. The Titans will be responsible for those amounts if Jones is released or kept on the Titans roster. Trading Jones and his contract to another team is the only way to avoid it.

Still, Titans coach Jeff Fisher, in an interview at the NFL owners meetings, told ESPN he has not eliminated the possibility of keeping Jones. That seems unlikely and contradicts other comments he has made about the Titans moving forward without the player arrested six times since beginning his NFL career.

To facilitate a trade to Dallas -- where Jones says he prefers to resume his career -- the player has offered to forego the $1.2 million performance bonus he earned for playing at least 25 percent of the Titans' defensive plays in an attempt to offset the $1.275 million signing bonus the Titans are currently demanding he repay before completing any trade. According to sources, Jones is willing to call it even and walk away. The Titans have not made that compromise.

There remains a less serious difference of opinion between the Cowboys and Titans over draft-pick compensation. The Titans want a fourth-round pick in this month's draft and another pick in 2009. Believing they have leverage, the Cowboys are unwilling to offer two picks.

"If they are serious about what they are asking from us, that's what they should do is keep him," a Cowboys source said.

Ed Werder covers the NFL for ESPN.
Link

Is this ghost ball??
Old 04-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

did I just hear correctly? Cowboys have Zach Thomas?
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #8
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

cowboys have had thomas for a good while now
Old 04-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #9
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

awesome! I have met him through my brother in law, when they played for Tech. Cool cat!
Old 04-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #10
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

GuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to behold

AT&T Field appears to possible be the new name of the stadium.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #11
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack
AT&T Field appears to possible be the new name of the stadium.
Some suggested catch phrases for the new stadium:

Fewest Dropped Balls
More Stars than Most Places
Reach Out and Sack Someone

Is this ghost ball??
Old 04-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #12
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

wretched.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #13
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Naming rights still up in air.

There's still time for MavsX to start Indian Butt Magic Incorporated and git 'er dun!

Is this ghost ball??
Old 04-15-2008, 09:37 PM   #14
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW
Naming rights still up in air.

There's still time for MavsX to start Indian Butt Magic Incorporated and git 'er dun!

it's almost too easy. Does anybody have 10 grand to spot me so i can get in on Michael and Jan's company "Serenity by Jan"...

"i thought about it..........i'm in" (andy)
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #15
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Does this mean we'll be disturbingly connected with the Spurs?

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 04-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #16
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

GuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to behold

Word is, Chad Johnson wants out of Cincinatti.

Dallas has two 1st rounders and a potential need at WR, they may be able to deal one of them and address another need with the other...

Just think if they end up trading a 1st for WR Chad Johnson, and a later pick for CB Pacman Jones. They would have filled arguably two of their biggest needs with pro-bowl calibre players (yet both headaches).

What would be really scary is if they could get by with a 2nd rounder for Chad Johnson and then trade both their 1sts to Oakland or KC to draft Darren McFadden. Romo's weapons would be McFadden, Barber, Owens, Witten, and Johnson?? Not fair to anyone in the league.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:50 PM   #17
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Unfortunately, there's still only one football. =p

I don't think Ocho Cinco is going anywhere. Didn't the Bengals release their only other good WR?

Is this ghost ball??
Old 04-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #18
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Quote:
Unfortunately, there's still only one football. =p

I don't think Ocho Cinco is going anywhere. Didn't the Bengals release their only other good WR?
No, they have Houshmandzadeh (sp?) who made the probowl last year and had a better season than Chad. I would be willing to give up both firsts for Chad, just imagine our offense with him.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:38 PM   #19
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want chad johnson at any price. Love the player but don't want him on my team.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:40 PM   #20
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I would much, MUCH rather have Boldin or Williams than Ocho Cinco.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #21
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
I would much, MUCH rather have Boldin or Williams than Ocho Cinco.
Sure, but they aren't available. Chad Johnson is available and he would look good in a Cowboys uniform. I just don't think this team would have enough room for Owens, Pacman, and Johnson.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #22
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack
Sure, but they aren't available. Chad Johnson is available and he would look good in a Cowboys uniform. I just don't think this team would have enough room for Owens, Pacman, and Johnson.
What makes you think he's any more available than the other two? Everything I've heard out of Cincy says that they're not trading him.

As far as the other two keep in mind that as draft day approaches and teams get anamored with their boards, "unavailable" players tend to become available.

BTW, are you a Cowboy fan?
Old 04-16-2008, 05:32 PM   #23
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
What makes you think he's any more available than the other two? Everything I've heard out of Cincy says that they're not trading him.

As far as the other two keep in mind that as draft day approaches and teams get anamored with their boards, "unavailable" players tend to become available.

BTW, are you a Cowboy fan?
Chad has demanded a trade and the way he has crossed Palmer and such, I doubt he is back in Cincy. They probably do not want to trade him (he has a ton of talent), but his actions this off-season may lead them to making that decision.

And am I a Cowboys fan? A little. I have warmed up to them a little since living in DFW, but they are not my number one team (The Texans are....yes, the Texans).
Old 04-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #24
ty
Diamond Member

I'd take Roy Williams in a jif.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #25
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

I still don't think Ocho is available. He's just talking. I think more substantive rumors have surrounded Roy Williams, and he's probably not available either.

Is this ghost ball??
Old 04-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #26
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

The Texans? Ouch, any team is warm compared to them. =) Welcome home.

Regardless of who it is, we need a burner to go alongside El Dorado.

Is this ghost ball??
Old 04-17-2008, 01:41 AM   #27
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

give me some thoughts on your dream picks at 22 and 28 we the cowboys hang on to them

mine
22 Jonathan Stewart
28 Limas Sweed
Old 04-17-2008, 07:52 AM   #28
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

J-Stew probably won't be there at 22 because the Texans want him at 18.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:19 AM   #29
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Are we shooting for realistic dreams? Cause McFadden at 22 would be a dream come true.

Is this ghost ball??
Old 04-20-2008, 03:47 PM   #30
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Are we shooting for realistic dreams? Cause McFadden at 22 would be a dream come true.
realistic picks according to projections off mock drafts
Old 04-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #31
Burn this City

Burn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really nice

A RB and the best available player would work for me. I'm more interested in seeing if they can somehow swing a deal to get Roy Williams here, hopefully involving the other Roy Williams, but not including UNC's Roy Williams because that would be weird.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:02 PM   #32
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

http://withleather.com/post.phtml?pk=5558

NSFW, and hilarious.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:25 AM   #33
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3358557

Sources: Skins offer '08 first-rounder, '09 pick for Johnson; Cincy says no

How serious are the Cincinnati Bengals about not giving in to Chad Johnson's trade demands?

Serious enough to swat away an offer from the Washington Redskins that could have netted the Bengals two first-round draft picks, team and league sources said.

The Redskins offered its first-round pick, No. 21 overall, and a conditional third-rounder in 2009 that could escalate to a first rounder if Johnson and the Redskins hit certain performance levels, the sources said.

It was not the first time the Redskins approached the Bengals about a deal, but it was the first significant proposal.

The Bengals have not only rejected the Redskins, but two other NFC East suitors -- the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles -- have been informed that there has been no change in the team's position that Johnson will not be traded.

The Bengals have noted to those suitors that Johnson has been the "second-highest paid receiver" in the NFL during the past three years, indignant about suggestions that Johnson also wants a new contract, the sources said.

Trading Johnson also would mean Cincinnati would take an $8 million salary-cap hit, but that amount could be split over the next two years. Additionally, as one owner who wished to remain anonymous told ESPN.com, "There's nothing wrong with dead money. It's cash already paid and it's cash back in your pocket that you don't have to spend, especially with the [high] amount of everyone's salary cap these days."

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow wtf. They would probably be early first round picks too. I don't see Washington making much noise this season.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:52 PM   #34
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

PACMAN IS A COWBOY

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:42 PM   #35
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Looks like we picked up a 4th to replace that Pac-Man pick. Actually it's the 1st pick in the 4th round so I'm going to call it a late 3rd to make me feel better.

Hopefully this doesn't mean the end of Cowboy Monday's at Jerseyville
------------------------------------------

MIAMI -- The Dallas Cowboys traded linebacker Akin Ayodele and tight end Anthony Fasano to the Miami Dolphins for a fourth-round draft pick, a person familiar with the deal said Friday.

The person didn't want to be identified because the Dolphins and Cowboys hadn't confirmed the trade. The Dolphins have repeatedly tapped the Dallas pipeline since the arrival of former Cowboys coach Bill Parcells in December to run Miami's football operations.

The draft pick is No. 100 overall Saturday. The Dolphins have eight other picks and will use the No. 1 overall choice to take tackle Jake Long, who has already signed a five-year contract worth $57.75 million, $30 million of it guaranteed.

Ayodele has been a starter for the past five seasons and made 55 tackles last year. His spot with the Cowboys may be filled by Zach Thomas, acquired after the Dolphins released him in February.

Fasano, a second-round pick in 2006, has made 14 receptions in each of his first two NFL seasons and is expected to contend for a starting job with the Dolphins.

Miami will still be looking to upgrade in the draft at quarterback, cornerback, defensive end, guard and receiver.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Last edited by dirno2000; 04-25-2008 at 11:03 PM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:51 PM   #36
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand dealing Fasano away. We better be looking at the A&M tight end, or trusting that Anderson will stay healthy. The latter would be preferable.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:32 AM   #37
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I don't understand dealing Fasano away. We better be looking at the A&M tight end, or trusting that Anderson will stay healthy. The latter would be preferable.
Who is Anderson?

If we want Bennett we're going to have to take him with our 1st or trade into the early-mid 2nd. I can't see that happening. Tony Curtis is an adequate back up and we'll probably pick up another later in the draft.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #38
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

hmm last pick of the 3rd round does sound better........ Surprised at how low it is for 2 players who seemed to play okay for us last year.

Is this ghost ball??
Old 04-25-2008, 11:10 PM   #39
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
hmm last pick of the 3rd round does sound better........ Surprised at how low it is for 2 players who seemed to play okay for us last year.
That's just how it is in the NFL. A 4th round pick is huge and its why the Cowboys wanted to get one for this draft. Its where they got Chris Canty and Marion Barber. Wasn't Bradie James a 4th rounder too? Its a great pick to have because of the type of players available. Usually studs who either got hurt or who have off the field problems. That's usually where teams gamble on those guys at. But yea players don't really demand much when it comes to draft picks unless its a star and even then i've seen stars bring back only a 2nd rounder.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:16 PM   #40
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
That's just how it is in the NFL. A 4th round pick is huge and its why the Cowboys wanted to get one for this draft. Its where they got Chris Canty and Marion Barber. Wasn't Bradie James a 4th rounder too? Its a great pick to have because of the type of players available. Usually studs who either got hurt or who have off the field problems. That's usually where teams gamble on those guys at. But yea players don't really demand much when it comes to draft picks unless its a star and even then i've seen stars bring back only a 2nd rounder.
Don't forget Isaiah Stanback!!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote