Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-10-2006, 10:20 AM   #1
lion45heart

lion45heart has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
yeah, but Avery showed who was daddy last night.
You are correct. Avery was Daddy............................last night.
lion45heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:10 AM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion45heart
I think that the Spurs can win game 3. Pop is a master at making adjustments. Game 3 will be interesting to say the least.
with Parker less than 100% and Manu focused more on flopping than actually playing good ball.....those will have to be some serious adjustments.

lets all just agree on this: The Mavs have not played their best game yet (JT poor and Dirk soso thus far)...but they have already won a game by 22.

The spurs did what they needed to (at least in style) in game one....and only won by 2.

the Mavs have just presented the Spurs with matchups that they cannot handle unless fully healthy.....but they are not fully healthy.

I say keep harris in the starting lineup, get JT hot, just freakin get Dirk the ball in good spots!!!, and keep JHo rolling like a mad man to the hoop!

edited to add: Oh yeah...and keep playing Mavericks Defense!!! (man doesn't feel good to say that?!!!!)

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 05-10-2006 at 10:11 AM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
lion45heart

lion45heart has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
with Parker less than 100%.............................................. ..

I'm glad you said that....coming from me........some people might say it was whining. But I didn't say it and I am not going to. The fact is the Spurs will re-focus and they will be just fine. This is not the first time the Spurs have played the Mavs and vice versa. Both teams know the other. It will come down to who executes on both ends of the court consistently throughout the majority of the games. I believe the Spurs to be that team.
lion45heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:28 AM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion45heart It will come down to who executes on both ends of the court consistently throughout the majority of the games. [b
I believe the Spurs to be that team.[/b]
do you?.....it sounds as if that might be what you hope more than what you believe after looking at all the data....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 05-10-2006, 10:09 AM   #5
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

"(Howard) is really a match up problem because you have to go big on him because our best perimeter defender has to guard one of their bigs." - Michael Finley

"They have great shooters and are a very good offensive team. It is kind of like pick your poison when you are playing them." - Bruce Bowen
Old 05-10-2006, 10:11 AM   #6
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

I really like how Jho has been able to pick up his 3 ball and actaully shoot it well and know when to shoot it.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #7
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I really like how Jho has been able to pick up his 3 ball and actaully shoot it well and know when to shoot it.
of course we'd prefer him slashing...but you're right....it is a nice added feature to the an already sleek model.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:17 AM   #8
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting stat from Elias:

• The Mavericks bounced back from a bitter, two-point defeat in Sunday's opener of their Western Conference semifinal series vs. San Antonio by routing the Spurs, 113-91.

The last NBA team to rebound from a one- or two-point loss in Game 1 of a playoff series by winning Game Two to the tune of a margin of 20-or-more points was Michael Jordan's Bulls, against the Lakers, in the 1991 Finals -- the first of the Bulls' six championships. In that series, the Lakers won Game 1 in Chicago, 93-91, but the Bulls won Game 2, 107-86, and went on to win the series in five games.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:20 AM   #9
sike
The Preacha

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
Interesting stat from Elias:

• The Mavericks bounced back from a bitter, two-point defeat in Sunday's opener of their Western Conference semifinal series vs. San Antonio by routing the Spurs, 113-91.

The last NBA team to rebound from a one- or two-point loss in Game 1 of a playoff series by winning Game Two to the tune of a margin of 20-or-more points was Michael Jordan's Bulls, against the Lakers, in the 1991 Finals -- the first of the Bulls' six championships. In that series, the Lakers won Game 1 in Chicago, 93-91, but the Bulls won Game 2, 107-86, and went on to win the series in five games.
I don't know about you, d2k, but I've got a feeling that our little mavericks are in the mood to make a little history themselves....

Freakin GO MAVS!!!

Old 05-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #10
Triple T's

Triple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of light

Simple:
Duncan carried the team in game one and in game 2. When he went out for stretches the team suffered and were forced into a lot of bad contested shots. With only 2 guys that can penetrate into the lane: parker and ginobili. Playing solid defense on those guys and keeping them on the perimeter forces the game into Tim's hands and out of the hands of the spurs many 3-point shooters. It’s the same strategy we employed against Nash last year in the playoffs. Unfortunately, the spurs counter I think would be to add more plays off the ball to free up their shooters on the perimeter because they know relying on Tim’s for the offense in Dallas wont cut it. Defensively, if Harris has another game like Tuesday the series may take a turn for the worse for SA. Josh is still going to be able to do what he wants on and off the dribble and around the basket, and dirk continues to decoy Bowen while still putting up respectable numbers. Really, its Dallas' series to lose, if they play up to there potential against the aging spurs. i saw a fire in dallas' eyes that i hadnt seen before, and they had the spurs huggin their heels from the opening tip. i still think the spurs have a few more punches left, so the mavs will have to contend with that. Plus, we still haven’t seen the best out of our superstar yet.

"I am a enforcer man! Don’t nothin go down in my house! It's 100 percent heart baby! Sure I jack a few fools. I give em tha pain! But sometimes its about intimidation you know, its mind games…."
-Terry Tate
Triple T's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:28 AM   #11
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
It's probably his best improvment from last year,he improved from 29% to 43%,50% so far in this playoffs,pretty incredible.
That kind of 3 ball abileties really makes him that much harder to guard.he gets alot of attention beyond the arc from his defender creating space for penetration and roomy enough for dirk to operate.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #12
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitzki_prophecy
It's probably his best improvment from last year,he improved from 29% to 43%,50% so far in this playoffs,pretty incredible.
That kind of 3 ball abileties really makes him that much harder to guard.he gets alot of attention beyond the arc from his defender creating space for penetration and roomy enough for dirk to operate.
if he can become just an above average three ball shooter(obviously we cannot expect this 50% to hold ) that will mean tons to this team!

Last edited by sike; 05-10-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:18 PM   #13
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Strong stuff: Mavs get even, 113-91

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

SAN ANTONIO – A dozen hours earlier, the Mavericks' big men had huddled at center court and were told to stop treating San Antonio's Tim Duncan like he's Pau Gasol.

Treat him instead like he is Shaquille O'Neal. Rough him up. Poke. Prod. Gouge.

Turns out, they treated every Spur that way.

A strong-armed defense and perhaps even more physical offense allowed the Mavericks to turn the Western Conference semifinals in their favor by decimating Duncan and the Spurs, 113-91, Tuesday night at AT&T Center.

They leveled the series at a win apiece and stole away the home-court advantage after feeling they'd let Game 1 get away. Game 3 is Saturday at American Airlines Center. And they will return home having earned every bit of the Spurs' attention.

"Everybody together, say it: The Mavs played great and deserve credit," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "They kicked [butt]."

And any other body part the Spurs left exposed. Josh Howard had a monster evening with 27 points and nine rebounds. Dirk Nowitzki was as efficient as ever with 21 points on 11 shots. The Mavericks went ahead by 20 points in the second quarter, and only once in the second half did the cushion drop below 15 points. That 14-point lead lasted just 19 seconds before it was rebuilt.

"The biggest fear was going back home 0-2," said Howard. "We were in that position last year. That position last year was bad."

Avery Johnson pulled a mild shocker by inserting Devin Harris into the starting lineup for Adrian Griffin. It could not have worked out better.

The offense – which went south in the second half of Game 1, leading to the two-point loss – was revitalized behind the energized Harris.

And the Mavericks definitely looked like the more-rugged of the teams.

"If you want to beat the world champions, they're not going to give it to you," Nowitzki said. "You have to take it. And that's what we did tonight."

They did so by rolling up a 58-38 halftime lead, during which they put Duncan on the bench with three fouls and plenty of bruises.

Johnson said the Mavericks were "more forceful" offensively.

"That's a big thing," he said. "We were a little bit on our heels offensively in the first game."

And while Duncan made 14 trips to the free throw line, the Mavericks battered him with double-teams that helped convolute the Spurs' offense.

"That's something we've been preaching," Howard said. "They do the same thing to us."

Avoiding a 2-0 hole was crucial for the Mavericks. Teams who fall behind 2-0 have a 10-176 record in NBA history.

"It's good to get the confidence back," owner Mark Cuban said.

The game could not have started better for the Mavericks, with Harris instigating a quicker, more efficient offense and the Mavericks' big men doing all they could to thwart Duncan.

After he dumped 31 points on the Mavericks in the opener, Duncan had 16 with seven minutes still remaining in the first half.

But the Mavericks were making him earn those points at the line. And on offense, they attacked him, drawing the third foul with 6:21 left in the half.

Things were already rolling for the Mavericks. They were up by 11 at the time. But the gap grew quickly and steadily after Duncan's departure.

The second half was bound to produce a Spurs rally, right? Not exactly.

At the start of the fourth period, Harris pounded each teammate in the chest and reminded them what part of the game it was – winning time.

"We were up 18 and we wanted to deliver the knockout punch," Harris said.

Consider it a haymaker that left the defending champs emotionally whipped.

The physical part had come much earlier.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:19 PM   #14
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Parker feeling the pain

By DWAIN PRICE
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

SAN ANTONIO - When San Antonio Spurs point guard Tony Parker crawled out of bed Tuesday morning, his body was aching.

And for good reason.

Parker has a left quad contusion, which he suffered when he charged into Mavericks guard Devin Harris on Sunday in Game 1 of the best-of-seven Western Conference semifinal series. That came two days after he charged into Sacramento's Mike Bibby and came away with a mildly sprained right hip during the Spurs' first-round playoff series against the Kings.

"Both times I got charged and I got hurt, so I'm going to stop charging," Parker said. "It was just sore [Tuesday] morning. It's just like a big knot and every time I run, I feel it. But I can't get worse, except if I get hit again."

Parker and the Spurs got hit hard again Tuesday as the Mavericks physically whipped the Spurs 113-91 at the AT&T Center to even the series at 1-1. Games 3 and 4 will be Saturday and Monday in Dallas before the series returns to San Antonio for Game 5 next Wednesday.

Parker did his best to keep the Spurs in contention Tuesday. After Tim Duncan left with three fouls at the 6:21 mark of the second quarter with San Antonio trailing 43-32, the Spurs' offense revolved around Parker dribbling, dribbling and dribbling until he could find a crease to the basket.

But the Mavs eventually figured that strategy out, holding Parker to just nine points on 4-of-10 shooting in the first half when the Mavs held a 58-38 lead. Parker finished with 15 points on 6-of-14 shooting and just one assist.

During the game, Parker wore so many pads around both thighs he could feel the extra weight that was used for protection.

"I feel like my legs are heavy," Parker said. "But they're doing a good job of packing the lanes. But every team is doing that against us. It's just a matter of us making shots."

The loss was the worst of the season for the Spurs, who will be looking for Parker to help them regain home-court advantage.

"Tony is pretty hard to guard," Mavs coach Avery Johnson said. "I don't think there's anybody that can necessarily stay with him.

"He's a tough cover. That's why he's an All-Star. That's why he's the player that he is."
Old 05-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #15
kriD
Platinum Member

PLAYOFF NOTES

When Howard holds up his end, Mavs are 21-0

By MERCEDES MAYER
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

SAN ANTONIO -- Even Josh Howard is baffled by the numbers.

After beating the San Antonio Spurs 113-91 in Game 2, the Mavericks are 21-0 in the regular season and postseason combined when Howard scores 20 or more points.

"I have no explanation for it," Howard said.

The Mavs had to feel pretty good when Howard had 18 points -- and a 58-38 lead -- at halftime.

Less than two minutes into the third quarter, Howard made two free throws to reach 20 points.

"Whatever I get that's open, I'm going to take it," said Howard, who finished with 27 points and nine rebounds. "Whenever my teammates find me, I try to knock down those shots."

In Game 1, Howard had 14 points at the half but attempted only four shots in the second half, finishing with 17 points and nine rebounds.

Tempers flare

First, it was Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and Mavs counterpart Avery Johnson. Then it was former Mavs and current Spurs guard Nick Van Exel. This series is pure emotion.

Popovich and Johnson were called for technical fouls in the first four minutes of the game.

Van Exel was whistled for a technical foul for arguing with an official midway through the second quarter. Soon after that, he was upset about not getting a call on a 3-pointer he missed. Van Exel threw his warm-ups toward the basket when he went to the bench, getting his second technical foul, and an automatic ejection.

By the middle of the third quarter, Spurs fans let Game 2 crew chief Steve Javie know how they felt, yelling "Javie Sucks" in unison.

The rash of technicals brought back memories of Game 2 of the Mavs-Spurs 2003 Western Conference Finals, when four technical fouls were called in the first 10:11. Then-Mavs coach Don Nelson was ejected along with assistant coach Del Harris in a 119-106 Spurs victory. The Mavs' Dirk Nowitzki and Van Exel also had technicals.

Nellie to Kings?

Don Nelson's name quickly surfaced as one of the candidates to replace Rick Adelman as coach of the Sacramento Kings. Adelman and his staff were fired Tuesday.

Nelson stepped aside as coach of the Mavericks with 18 games remaining in the 2004-05 season but has remained as a team consultant. The Mavs still paid Nelson the $5 million he had remaining on the coaching portion of his contract for this season.

Mavs owner Mark Cuban said Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof don't necessarily have to contact him to get permission to talk to Nelson about their coaching vacancy.

"Once the season's over, Nellie is a free agent and he can do whatever he wants," Cuban said. "I'm sure, if they want to talk to him, they would call me anyway, knowing the Maloofs."

Donnie Nelson, the Mavs' president of basketball operations and Nelson's son, would not speculate on whether his father wants to coach again.

"Happiness is different to different people," Donnie Nelson said. "I just want him to be happy."

Van Horn's progress

Avery Johnson's hopes that Keith Van Horn (broken hand) can return by Game 3 are fading.

Van Horn said X-rays will be taken today to monitor the healing process. If the news is good, Van Horn will start noncontact drills Friday and, hopefully, begin contact drills next week. That all but keeps him out of Games 3 (Saturday) and 4 (Monday) in Dallas.

Seed restructuring

Commissioner David Stern said the NBA will "probably" restructure the playoff seeding process next season by taking the top four teams in each conference and seeding them according to their won-loss record. That would prevent a repeat of this year when the two winningest teams in the Western Conference -- the top-seeded Spurs and fourth-seeded Mavericks -- met in the second round.

Popovich having fun

Gregg Popovich had some fun with the media during Tuesday morning's shootaround.

When asked his take on the long break between Games 2 and 3 of this series -- Game 3 isn't until Saturday in Dallas -- Popovich said: "I have no take. Having a take only takes away concentration. So the take is not taken seriously."

Staff writers Dwain Price and Jeff Caplan contributed to this report.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:45 PM   #16
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Devin's the key to this series. On offense, he can get to the rim at will or penetrate and dish for open jumpers. On defense, we need his speed to keep Parker from penetrating or NVE/Fin shooting 3s. He just needs to play calm & composed like last night. 20pts, 0 TOs and 2 PFs in 32 min is awesome for a 2nd year PG against the Champs, on their homecourt, in a must-win type situation.

Josh is next. His ability to punish their bigs whenever they send Bowen bear-hugging Dirk, is invaluable. His defense, rebounding and running the court for fast-breaks are all crucial to our team.

One or two among Stack/Jet/Quis need to play well offensively to take some pressure off Dirk and Josh.

And on defense just stick to what we've been doing. Take away their 3s and let TD get his 30. TP & Manu are both hobbling and hopefully they don't get much better for at least another week.

I expect a tough, close 3rd game as they get 4 days rest. They'll also try to unleash 4-days worth of pent-up frustration & fury on us. We better match their energy and somehow eke out a win and after that, I expect a blow-out in the 4th and possibly finishing out in the 5th or latest by the 6th.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:53 PM   #17
allahu akbar
Banned

allahu akbar is an unknown quantity at this point

So far, in the two games it has been a one man show, which is not how we should be playing.

Duncan doing his thing is nice, but if that leaves out Manu and Parker, it's not good for the team. They've got to get involved in the series for us to win.
allahu akbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:37 PM   #18
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

KG i completely agree. I thought that was the mavs biggest problem last year, that jho couldnt punish bigs when they put smalls on dirk. Well now he can. Ive been saying this all year leading up to this series. Josh howard learning how to truly be a go to scorer against bigs.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #19
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking at the game "glog" on sportsline.com. Pretty strange that the author seemed to be a sk*rts fan.

Quote:
From the sportsline "glog".

javascriptpenPopup('/nba/gamecenter/gamelog/NBA_20060509_DAL@SA','glog','542','640');
http://www.sportsline.com/print/nba/...0060509_DAL@SA

4 - 8:34
Spurs playing with no energy on defense, as Devin Harris and Stackhouse are able to get to the basket with ease. Then Udrih thinks he's Kobe, as he goes 1 on 4 and misses badly. I thought these Euros were supposed to be the smart one, just kidding, but that was a dumb move. Down by 18, you need to score not force shots.
4 - 11:00
Daniels gets the blocked twice and gets the rebound each time, and scores on the third chance. COME ON Spurs play with energy.

4 - 12:00
The Spurs need to step up there defense, start trapping, and play with even more energy. They need to create turnovers.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:49 PM   #20
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Are the Spurs becoming,

dare I say........

SOFT.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:05 AM   #21
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are the Spurs becoming,

dare I say........

SOFT.
there it is....I was wondering how long it would take to reach this comment. Two images from game 2 stood out in my mind....

The first was Manu writhing on the floor in pain after being fouled by Diop on a drive to the hoop. The second was Manu receiving medical attention after using his mouth to foul Harris's elbow on a drive to the hoop.

The first image is a classic example of how to administer the hard foul as a means of protecting the rim. The second image was just funny, and a classic example of how not to protect the rim.

As long as the Spurs play Big Shot Bob and Duncan inside, they're either gonna give up easy baskets or they're gonna git Duncan in foul trouble.

Cheers
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:26 PM   #22
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Well you sure can't say that the mavs are soft in comparison if rebounding and blocked shots are what you use for the criteria.

Mavs 39/10, Spurs 34/6 rebounding in first (total, offensive)
47/13, 40/11 rebounding in second.
Blocked shots 10-9 mavs.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 05-12-2006 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:37 PM   #23
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Well you sure can't say that the mavs are soft in comparison if rebounding and blocked shots are what you use for the criteria.
I don't think there was any question -- in game 2, the Spurs were the soft team and the Mavs were (odd as it sounds) the physical team.

The only player for the Spurs that didn't look like a big softie was Timmy, and he can't risk committing fouls because he's been the only offensive option.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #24
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
AJ - He challenged them to come out as if they were playing on a playground and a loss meant they'd have to wait an hour for another try.
nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Early in the second quarter, Dallas was on the right end of a series of questionable calls and non-calls by the officials. The Mavericks benefited more by how much it annoyed the Spurs and their fans.
That stuff would never fly in euro by the time the game ends they'll better be having a police escorting them...

Last edited by nowitzki_prophecy; 05-10-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:41 PM   #25
bricklayer

bricklayer is a jewel in the roughbricklayer is a jewel in the roughbricklayer is a jewel in the roughbricklayer is a jewel in the rough

Speaking of looking into the future, how does Pop adjust to what he saw in game 2? And do you think Avery is already inside Pops head and will also pre-adjust. Deven had ZERO turn overs, they will have to put alot more pressure on him. Terry still hasn't found his stroke this series, do you lay off of him? Do they have an answer for Josh?
For us, while fouls have been a problem for our centers at least the ft% hasn't hurt us, keep the pressure on Dunkin. I also think Dirk has still got to get inside more, not that much more... say 4-6 more shots in the paint? Not sure what to do about Terry and do we even try to create any offense from our center positions (who am I kidding, heck no). As far as Josh goes let him loose, I don't see them stoping him.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:25 PM   #26
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

they cant guard jho except with bowen and then we all know where that goes.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:52 AM   #27
kriD
Platinum Member

Mavs' Johnson preaching patience

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

The Mavericks had just shown a mean streak wider than Charles Barkley's backside. It was a few minutes after Game 2 in San Antonio, and neither the sweat nor the emotional high had dried up.

The Mavericks had out-bullied the Spurs, and coach Avery Johnson was trying to keep things in perspective while others were running rampant with enthusiasm.

"Hey," Johnson cautioned as he walked rapidly through the bowels of AT&T Center, "this is just a step in the right direction. That's all."

Having tied the best-of-7 series at 1-1 with a stunning 113-91 victory late Tuesday night, the Mavericks have reason to be excited. They come home to American Airlines Center for Games 3 and 4 on Saturday and Monday knowing they can hit the curve that the Spurs always seem to throw them.

They also are aware that they may have to win again in San Antonio to advance past this series.

The Spurs haven't lost three games in a row all season. So it stands to reason they are real threats to win at least one of the next two games. They didn't have the best road record in the league in the regular season by accident.

Of course, in the regular season, they didn't have to play the Mavericks three straight, either.

"We're not 20 points better than the Spurs," Johnson said. "They're the champions. One win by a team in the Western Conference semifinals doesn't mean anything's been taken away from them."

Except maybe a little of their invincibility, a little of their swaggerand a whole lot of momentum.

If the Spurs are to regain the home-court advantage, they now are the ones who will have to come out with a remarkable effort like the one the Mavericks had Tuesday night. And they are capable. This San Antonio team is not so different from the one that won all three playoff games at AAC in the 2003 Western Conference finals.

"I know they're not going to play like this in Game 3," Johnson said of the egg the Spurs laid Tuesday night.

President of basketball operations Donnie Nelson concurred.

"We don't think we found the key to the matrix," he said. "This is just one game. We played really well. Now we have to go from here."

Johnson gave the players the day off Wednesday. He said the Mavericks' style of play Tuesday night, when they showed more toughness than the Spurs, wasn't anything new.

"The times when our players don't show that mean streak, that's when I really get angry," Johnson said. "I think we've pretty much had one. I've tried to bring it out of them more.

"A guy can miss a shot. That doesn't bother me as much as not really showing that meanness and that mental toughness. That's why we got guys like Stack and Damp. Those guys are pretty tough."

Johnson continues to get accolades for his decision to insert Devin Harris into the starting lineup for Game 2. But the harder edge with which the team played was every bit as crucial to the victory.

However, Johnson was quick to add: "There's nothing rosy about this series from our point of view. I'm fully prepared to get back to practice, and hopefully our team will play well again."
Old 05-11-2006, 05:47 AM   #28
kriD
Platinum Member

MAVERICKS NOTES

Limiting Duncan still the Mavs' goal

By By, MERCEDES MAYER
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Don't think that the Mavericks and coach Avery Johnson have given up trying to slow Spurs power forward Tim Duncan.

"We're trying to be physical with him, but Duncan is a handful," Johnson said after Tuesday's 113-91 victory that evened the Western Conference semifinals at 1-1.

Sure, Duncan is averaging 29.5 points, has 22 rebounds and is 19-of-26 from the free-throw line in the series. But the Mavs want to make sure Duncan's teammates don't put up the same big numbers. And they haven't.

Duncan is shooting 58.8 percent from the field in the series, but the rest of the team has combined for 38.8 percent. Johnson would like to see more of that as the series shifts to the American Airlines Center for Game 3 at 7 p.m. Saturday.

"Tim was great in the first game," Mavs forward Dirk Nowitzki said after Game 2. "We wanted to take the ball out of his hands and take the 3-pointer away. We stayed home with the shooters and it worked well."

Every Spurs player who has seen action in the series -- except Duncan and Brent Barry -- has been held below his regular-season scoring average.

The Spurs shot 38.5 percent from 3-point range in the regular season, but are 7-of-26 (26.9 percent) in the series.

Pound the boards

In two games against San Antonio, the Mavs have a plus-12 advantage in rebounding and are plus-6 on the offensive glass.

Dirk Nowitzki is averaging 11.5 rebounds per game; Josh Howard is grabbing nine rebounds a game; and DeSagana Diop and Erick Dampier are averaging a combined 12 rebounds per game.

"If I don't score, I'm going to go to the glass and I'm going to play defense," said Howard, who has six offensive rebounds in the series, all follow-ups to his own misses.

In the four-game sweep against Memphis, the Mavs were plus-35 overall and plus-22 on the offensive end.

R&R in order

By winning Game 2, the Mavs face a best-of-five series with home-court advantage. They will have been off for three days when the series resumes Saturday.

"We're always concerned when we have a break," Avery Johnson said. "That's why we'll get back to practice [today]. We'll have a pretty lively practice [today], probably lots of scrimmages and lots of work because I don't like the way we came out of [the break after Memphis]."

The Mavs are 12-13 in playoff games at American Airlines Center, and they were 1-1 at home against the Spurs during the regular season.

Van Horn to practice

Keith Van Horn will participate in his first practice since having surgery on his broken hand. Van Horn, who has missed all of the playoffs, will do non-contact drills today and some contact on Friday and over the weekend.

Staff writer Jeff Caplan contributed to this report.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:48 AM   #29
dude1394
Guru

come on back killer.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:43 AM   #30
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

"The Mavs are 12-13 in playoff games at American Airlines Center."

Kinda disturbing.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:17 AM   #31
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future
Default Will Pop make the switch?

"they cant guard jho except with bowen and then we all know where that goes."

This is the key question--and it may be a battle of wills.

I don't think it happens Saturday, but if the Spurs lose game 3, and Howard goes off again, then I think Pop has to think about abandoning the trick defense the Spurs have been playing (cross-matching and double-teaming Dirk), and going straight up with Bowen on Howard, Horry on Dirk and Duncan picking up the Dallas Center.

It doesn't help the Spurs to hold Dirk to 20 if Howard is going to go for 25 against one of the Spurs bigs. They might as well let Dirk get 30, hold Howard to 15 and be in better defensive rebounding position.

After all, that's how Avery has Dallas playing defense.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:28 AM   #32
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

I keep hearing all this talk about Bowen being able to guard Jho, did anyone watch the last game of the regular season between the mavs and spurs. Bowen didn't guard Dirk in that game, he guarded Jho.
Jho was 22 pts for 9-13 shooting. I am not getting were you all get this Bowen can guard Howard thing.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:02 AM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, Bowen did guard Dirk for much of the last game. But, it wasn't working because Dirk and Howard were going off. So, because Bowen was ineffective against Dirk without the double team, they decided to just let Dirk get his and slow down Howard.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:28 AM   #34
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

I would like to see Bowen on Howard.

Bowen is a great defender because he knows how to beat a player to their favorite positions.

Howard is probably the most versatile offensive player we have. He can post, drive, jumpshoot. He is also a great rebounder and a decent 3-pt threat. There is no favorite position for howard. He is also faster than Bowen, which you can't say about Dirk.

Bowen on Howard will unleash Dirk. Horry can't guard Dirk anymore. Duncan can't guard Dirk either without picking up a bunch of fouls.

Last edited by jacktruth; 05-11-2006 at 11:29 AM.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:56 AM   #35
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktruth
I would like to see Bowen on Howard.

Bowen is a great defender because he knows how to beat a player to their favorite positions.

Howard is probably the most versatile offensive player we have. He can post, drive, jumpshoot. He is also a great rebounder and a decent 3-pt threat. There is no favorite position for howard. He is also faster than Bowen, which you can't say about Dirk.

Bowen on Howard will unleash Dirk. Horry can't guard Dirk anymore. Duncan can't guard Dirk either without picking up a bunch of fouls.
I'd imagine Bowen would have just as much trouble with Howard as he had with Bonzi, or as Spurs fans call him Jordan.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:18 PM   #36
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Bowen will have more success individually versus Howard than individually versus Dirk. But, as a Mavs fan, I'd be more than willing to see Howard's numbers slide if that meant that Dirk was being guarded by anyone else.

Howard won't be doubled when guarded by Bowen whereas Dirk was often doubled when he put the ball on the floor.

Regardless, neither scenario probably has a happy ending for the Spurs.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:22 PM   #37
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

The one problem Howard has is charging. This was a Howard defensive strategy that Memphis used pretty effectively. I think Howard has had that under control a bit, but look for SA to work that angle.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:11 PM   #38
Murphy3
Guru

Well..charging is a result of sometimes being out of control...
Old 05-11-2006, 03:42 PM   #39
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

Your dreaming if you think the spurs would move bowen to stop howerd,dirk without a leash is what hunts popovich at night.
They rather,like any of the other 29 teams,let Howerd go for 27 on 7-17 than make dirk drop 40 on their heads.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:18 AM   #40
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

In the next game, Dallas needs to be cautious. I expect, if we bring out the same starting lineup, for Ginobli to exploit having Terry on him more so than game 2. I also expect them to throw more traps at Devin/Josh to help keep them out of the lane, and to pass out better when Duncan is doubled. What Avery should do offensively is get Terry more involved and get Bowen in foul trouble. And on defense, if doubling Duncan doesn't work, continue single coverage.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote