Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-16-2002, 01:31 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

who do you want to see the cowboys pick up?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2002, 01:45 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

it's possible that QJ and roy williams could both be gone come the cowboys' pick..
should they just take the next best available player?..move up?..move down?..

Old 04-16-2002, 01:53 PM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

<< it's possible that QJ and roy williams could both be gone come the cowboys' pick..
should they just take the next best available player?..move up?..move down?..
>>

Everybody seems to think that won't happen. If it does, then one of the stud defensive tackles will be there. I'm not too worried. Jerry can't screw up the first pick. The later rounds concern me a little. We need guys that can play.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 02:51 PM   #4
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

They gotta get somebody that will play now, I think. William Green sounds like a heck of a player but I just think with #6 you just have to get someone who can come in and start. To me, if they can't get Jammer, they should get Williams, then, like Dooby said, if they both have been picked, you've got a hoss DT waiting to be picked.

And the BS about not taking a safety at #6 is just that, BS. People are saying Roy Williams will be as special as Darren Woodson. In which case, I say, wouldn't a number of teams have taken Darren Woodson at #6? I think so.

So I'm rooting for Williams, since Jammer will likely be gone.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 02:53 PM   #5
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I'm betting on Roy Williams. It would be nice if Jammer fell to us though.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 04:30 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

well, i can see why they say not to take a safety with that high of a pick in general.

however, Roy Williams will in all likeliness be a very special player for a very long time.. so i have no issue with taking him that high.

well, of the mock drafts i've seen today, 4 of 5 had both williams and jammer going before the cowboys picked..

i would love for jammer to move up.

just a question, if williams and jammer both go before the boys pick, do you consider dropping down 5-7 spots if you can pick up an additional early second round pick?
Old 04-16-2002, 04:32 PM   #7
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

<< well, of the mock drafts i've seen today, 4 of 5 had both williams and jammer going before the cowboys picked.. >>

The dude at ESPN has Williams going 11th(I think [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] ) .

On a side note, Cowboys signed Dat to a 6 year extension today.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 04:36 PM   #8
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

There are a couple of trade rumours: Raiders at 21 and 23 for the Cowboy's 6th pick. Or New Orleans at 13 and 25 for the Cowboys pick. I might look at a trade with New Orleans. But two low 20's picks doesn't interest me.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 04:52 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

surprised at the cowboys locking up dat for 6 years...

well, if we want to have any clue about how the draft might play out the first day, we should probably see what rick gosselin has to say about it. he's usually much closer than most..including mel kiper jr.

it really depends on how you have the players ranked.. if you have a group of guys from about 7-15 that are ranked virtually the same, you make the trade with new orleans.. if you have a guy at 6th that you have ranked head over heels better than anyone at the 13th spot, well, you don't make the trade
Old 04-16-2002, 06:27 PM   #10
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

1st round-roy Williams- take the best player. I haven't seen enough of Bucannon, and would not be upset if Jammer fell. although I don't know if Jammer is the level of Charles Woodson or Champ Bailey.

2nd round- Deshaun foster- Highly skilled, but has a problem with fumbling. Before he got suspended he was putting up heisman numbers. Big and elusive. Will run over defenders. Not a big need, but a great value pick if he is there. andre Davis or Javon Walker would be nice alternatives.

3rd round-Jeramy Stephens. Huge risk, but mammoth potential to go with it. Could be one of the top tight ends in the league. At this spot, it is worth the gamble. I might be inclined to take him in round 2. He absolutely destroyed Texas in the bowl game. 6'7 and 260 pounds...and he can run. a lot of problems though.

Whatever happens thought the boys have to have a dirk/nash type of draft. That is asking a lot, but after all these bad drafts, they need to hit a home run.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 06:54 PM   #11
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

1st rd...Dontae stallworth (big, fast receiver to complement galloway)
2nd rd...Daniel Graham, if he's still there. If not, Stevens from Washington (receiving TE)
3rd rd...Kevin Curtis (Safety from Tech. 6'3&quot; 220lbs. In time, will be a good one. In 3 years as a started, got 100 tackles each year. ran a 4.52 at combine)
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 07:44 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Mel Kiper is an idiot.

I hope the Cowboys go after QJ, Williams and that kid from Miami..damn he is huge. I figure one of them will still be available. I do not want them to trade down.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 08:19 AM   #13
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

here's an excerpt from TMQ on espn.com's page 2 about mel kiper:

&quot;Mel Kiper Watch
TMQ has loved everything about Mel Kiper since the day ESPN lost its collective mind and put him on the air. He's wacky, he's entertaining, he's a fountain of useless information, and he was the first member of the Baby Boom generation to just come out and admit he is totally, utterly obsessed with the NFL draft. Kiper has been able to make a living by being obsessed with the NFL draft. Only in America!

Kiper
To truly appreciate Kiper's nuttiness, you must sign up for the ESPN.com Insider feature and fork over $24.95. One shudders to think what it says about the decline of Western civilization that Tuesday Morning Quarterback is given away free but vast numbers of people will pay $24.95 for Mel Kiper. Nevertheless, he's worth it.

You must pony up for ESPN.com Insider to truly appreciate Kiper's nuttiness, because this will allow you to behold the full glory of his ever-changing mock drafts. So far Kiper has issued four, and they're all delightfully mutually contradictory. Mel has Levi Jones going as high as ninth, or in the middle of the first round, or falling out of the first altogether. He's got Joey Harrington going to Bengals, Bills or Carolina. He's got the Falcons picking William Green, or Jabar Gafney, or Ashley Lelie. He has Charles Grant going early, going late and not going at all. He's got Tennessee DT John Henderson going before teammate DT Albert Haynesworth and also going after him. And he's still not finished mocking! Kiper also sells a $25.95 Draft Report featuring a mock draft that picks six rounds, more than 200 simulated selections. No one, under any circumstances, could accurately forecast a sixth-round selection. (&quot;With the 210th pick of the 2002 draft, Chicago selects Michael Moosbrugger, guard, Wake Forest.&quot But it doesn't matter that Mel's six-round mock draft is pure galimatias. That's the fun of it!

There are so many overlapping and mutually contradictory picks in Kiper's multiple forecasts that at least some of them will have to turn out to be right, if only by random chance -- then Mel will claim to have predicted it. Sticklers for precision might therefore object. But TMQ considers this part of the entertainment and proof of Kiper's loony genius. Pay for Insider and follow this guy.

(Note: Tuesday Morning Quarterback plans to run regular items shamelessly heaping praise upon ESPN, its personnel, management and on-air bobbleheads. There should be no problem with this blatant self-serving behavior so long as it is disclosed to readers.)&quot;

anyway, TMQ is pretty funny, and kiper is an idiot.