Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-04-2003, 12:26 AM   #1
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Hey Guys,
The band I'm in is starting to contemplate putting together a website. I think I can design the page pretty well, so that part of the process shouldn't be a problem.

BUT...I've never even thought about paying for a Domain before. Instead of just finding the cheapest I thought I'd ask you guys for advice.

Here's what we'll probably want:
-Roughly 30 MB's of mp3's up at a given time
-Probably two videos, totalling about 40 MB
-message board - VBulletin
-various other pages for photos, profiles, and gig dates
-individual email addresses for 5 people

I'm guessing we'll get, at most, 20 people to visit our site a week. Most of that coming from within the band [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

So...with that limited information, who would you recommend we use, what package, anything else? I just don't want to spend 20 bucks for 3Gb of bandwith when 1GB will do! I am just pretty clueless...so any help is greatly appreciated!

Ocelot
Old 02-04-2003, 10:37 PM   #2
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

not everyone at once now...

just kidding..think i found someone who'll host me for free
Old 02-04-2003, 10:49 PM   #3
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I've got nothing.

Unless you need a collage made.

I can do that.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 11:52 PM   #4
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

http://www.cyberpixels.com

i just bought a new domain from there, also am doing the hosting with them. you might want to check it out.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 12:44 AM   #5
toucandave

toucandave is on a distinguished road

I'm in a band and have our website through XO and it's been good for me.

www.wigglefinger.com

XO communications
toucandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 01:05 AM   #6
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

I just got an absolutely amazing deal from a guy. He's a musician sympathizer so he's giving us:

500 MB Space
10 GB Bandwith
and all the goodies

for FREE! Our only cost is registering the domain and having a link on the page somewhere to their company (not a banner, a link). I'm pretty psyched. I was willing to spend about 12 bucks a month for all this stuff...to get all of it for a full year for $9 (domain registration) is awesome.

Thanks for your help, regardless!