Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #601
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't think you would ever play Maclin, then go for it. At least it will give you the peace of mind of having a second defense, in a league where folks are stockpiling them. Have you checked all your bye-week situations?

You and I are, in some says, in a similar situation. At WR I have Megatron, Percy Harvin, Antonio Brown, Jeremy Maclin, and the newly acquired Pierre Garcon. I tentatively have Maclin set for a bye-week start and perhaps starts against New Orleans and Washington.

I usually only need two receivers, because I have Jamaal Charles, Trent Richardson, and Demarco Murray at RB (as well as Leshoure). [By the way, is Murray going to get back on track?]

Here's a question back to you two. I am thinking of flipping Megatron for Roddy White. Thoughts?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #602
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
If you don't think you would ever play Maclin, then go for it. At least it will give you the peace of mind of having a second defense, in a league where folks are stockpiling them. Have you checked all your bye-week situations?
Indeed--this trade would actually help my bye week situation a bit. About half my players are on bye week 7, and Maclin is one of them. A strange oddity.

Quote:
I usually only need two receivers, because I have Jamaal Charles, Trent Richardson, and Demarco Murray at RB (as well as Leshoure). [By the way, is Murray going to get back on track?]

Here's a question back to you two. I am thinking of flipping Megatron for Roddy White. Thoughts?
Hope so about Murray, and beyond FF reasons. IMO the Cowboys refusal (or failure?) to establish a consistent run game for years has cost them dearly.

I wouldn't have thought of trading Megatron for White before the season, but honestly, I think i'd probably do it. Megatron is a better WR, but White plays in a better offense with a better QB. The Falcons aren't going to have many games where they cant get the ball downfield consistently, but the Lions damn well might.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #603
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

The only hesitation I'd have with White is there will be weeks where the action ping pongs between White and Julio. It seems like it's trending with White now, but that can easily change. Tony is also still effective in the offense so that's a weapon that can steal targets. If you're looking at a number one, that's not the most ideal situation to work with. In theory it is, but Julio, Tony and even Jacquizz could steal portions of the pie. Megatron is a beast and he's QB-proof. It doesn't matter who is slinging it, he'll be effective as long as he's out on the field. I can see why you'd do it, but I'd still have hesitations.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 10-05-2012 at 10:12 AM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #604
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

^ This kinda cuts both ways, though. When a guy has another good WR on his team, he'll lose some targets, but defense also can't drape him with a safety over the top on every play. I actually think Jones's presence will help White's production, especially given that White is the better of the two (right now, anyway). Conversely, Johnson has suffered a bit from so much defensive attention--he's just so good that he's still productive.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #605
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
^ This kinda cuts both ways, though. When a guy has another good WR on his team, he'll lose some targets, but defense also can't drape him with a safety over the top on every play. I actually think Jones's presence will help White's production, especially given that White is the better of the two (right now, anyway). Conversely, Johnson has suffered a bit from so much defensive attention--he's just so good that he's still productive.
It does, but I think the targets make it a dicey situation. And you alluded to it, Julio is on the rise. To me, he has the superior talent to White, it's just that White has the chemistry right now. That's going to change over time. No one is going to be rivaling Megatron anytime in the near future.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #606
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I read an article yesterday talking different ways that teams are playing Megatron this year. It said that sometimes team are are actually putting a linebacker on him at the line of scrimmage and double coverage behind. My goodness! The article also quoted the coach, I think it was, saying that they will have to find other ways to get touchdowns. Not encouraging.

On the help/hurt question of having a stud #2 opposite you, I think it mostly comes down to how powerful the offense is in general. Atlanta is starting to look like an offense that afford a lot of mouths to feed.

If you think that last year may have been a bit of an outlier for Megatron, and believe that he will regress to the mean, then Roddy actually has slightly superior numbers over the last few seasons (in PPR).

Probably not much difference between the two, but I'm starting to worry that CJ's floor may now be lower than Roddy's.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #607
LonghornDub

They're pretty close in talent. Megatron is better, but he's not light years better. The Falcons have a better QB and a better offense. For me, that's tipping point. When dealing with players generally in the same tier, I think team and offense quality is more important than which player is more purely talented.

Having seen what the Lions look this year versus what the Falcons look like, I'd take Roddy. But it's very close, and you'll never go wrong hanging on to Megatron.

*edit to add* This is pretty much a non-answer, but this whole inquiry is kind of a crapshoot anyway. Nobody can really say which guy is going to have a higher point total from here until the end of the year. It could so easily go either way.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 10-05-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #608
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
They're pretty close in talent. Megatron is better, but he's not light years better. The Falcons have a better QB and a better offense. For me, that's tipping point. When dealing with players generally in the same tier, I think team and offense quality is more important than which player is more purely talented.

Having seen what the Lions look this year versus what the Falcons look like, I'd take Roddy. But it's very close, and you'll never go wrong hanging on to Megatron.

*edit to add* This is pretty much a non-answer, but this whole inquiry is kind of a crapshoot anyway. Nobody can really say which guy is going to have a higher point total from here until the end of the year. It could so easily go either way.
That's the part that sticks out to me. Atlanta is clearly the better team of the two. Their division seems like more of a cupcake situation as well. That lends itself to situations where they can run out to big leads and then work on killing the clock.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #609
chumdawg
Guru

I went ahead and made the deal. Probably will end up about a wash, but it's fun to gamble!
Old 10-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #610
LonghornDub

Quote:
I went ahead and made the deal. Probably will end up about a wash, but it's fun to gamble!
Right on.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #611
chumdawg
Guru

Alright, how are you numnuts doing in your leagues? I lucked out and got a bye in mine. Here is what I am rolling with:

QB - Peyton
RB - Richardson, Charles, Murray
TE - A Hernandez
DEF - Detroit(!)

Those skill positions all from my draft. At WR I parlayed (though I'm not sure that's the best word) Megatron for Roddy and then for Demaryius Thomas, who I presently have to along with Manning. Harvin did great me for me until he got hurt. So now I need to choose one of the guys below, to round out my lineup. What do you think?

Cecil Shorts
TY Hilton
Donnie Avery
Jeremy Maclin

Thanks, and both congratulations and good luck to the rest of you who are still playing.

Tags
all cadban all the time, cadban's imaginarium, psychic or pathological?, psychological!, return of the quack!, validate me!!