Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-30-2004, 12:00 PM   #1
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ro Blackman - Color Commentator Extraordinaire

Thought I'd open a thread to discuss what everybody thinks of Ro Blackman's work as part of the broadcast team this year. The most appropriate what that I know of to start the thread out is to post this little bit of genius that I stole from sports guy at db.com...

Quote:
ahh a subject true to my heart.

rolando blackman has been working on the same incoherent sentence the entire season. i sometimes wish i was tivoing this things just so i could create a greatest hits collection.

in actuality, he makes my ears want to bleed. his ramblings are the equivalent of vig's quarter by quarter box scores.

a hypothetical exchange:

blackman: "you know when the effort on the court is in the jumpshot, the fans have to know that the coach is looking for something. and thats what the mavs have to be careful of, its the driving that the coach wants the jumpshot for."

ortegal: "he can do that ro. watch out. that is something he can do."
The hypothetical exchange sounds exactly like the incoherent ramblings one might expect out of the formerly lethal scoring guard.

Old 11-30-2004, 12:13 PM   #2
TheBenger

TheBenger is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Ro Blackman - Color Commentator Extraordinaire

Worst. Thread. Ever.
TheBenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:23 PM   #3
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Ro Blackman - Color Commentator Extraordinaire

I like having another voice to listen to besides Pinto and Ortegel......and the ones inside my head.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:27 PM   #4
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

I kinda like Ortegel and Pinto... they may sound stupid sometimes but they're entertaining in a quirky way.

However, I prefer having Harper as the color man.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:33 PM   #5
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

He's too soft spoken....and I've found his comments somewhat lacking depth - which is really saying something b/c Ortegal thinks he is explaing things to a bunch of second graders..."Now fans that is what you call a bounce pass"..."You know when they take an extra step like that- well that's travelling"..."Hey did I mention you can't run down the court with the ball tucked away under your arm?" arggghhhhhh
Old 11-30-2004, 01:31 PM   #6
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road

I think Pinto is hilarious. He has sarcasm that I am unsure whether he means to do it or not, but gets me laughing for minutes. As long as he stays then I am happy.

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:37 PM   #7
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

watch the game but listen to the radio broadcast.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:38 PM   #8
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: TheBenger
Worst. Thread. Ever.
T.R.O.L.L.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:47 PM   #9
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I actually like the broadcast team. They are good entertainment, IMO. Pinto whips out about 25 cheesy one-liners per game, Blackman babbles on about nothing in particular, making little to no sense, and Ortegel lectures to the class about "movement with a purpose".

Greatness.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:54 PM   #10
TheBenger

Quote:
T.R.O.L.L.
Maybe I over reacted, but that is no reason for you to call me a troll. I am just frustrated with seeming decline of quality posts and the decline of quality threads here lately. The last thing I want to see is this message board turn into another MavsTalk. Fluff threads like this set the wrong example, especially from a moderator.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:54 PM   #11
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Pinto is a dipshit. I really miss Jim Duram.

I've grown to love Ortegal, but he is by no mean the best color commentator out there. Give me Bill Walton, Doug Collins, or even Tom Tolbert.

Blackman's pattern of speech gets on my nerves. He talks too fast and his sentenses are too long. I like the insight he give into the daily operations of the team, but other than that he doesn't provide much. Plus, he preferences everything with the word "basketball". For instance "He's a good basketball player. That was a nice basketball play. The team needs him to drive to the basketball hoop".
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:55 PM   #12
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

can we come up with an unofficial list of all the cheesey phrases that Pinto uses:

1. Cha Ching the Maverick Money Ball
2. The Dunking Doitchman(sp?)

what else is there?
Old 11-30-2004, 01:59 PM   #13
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Quote:
T.R.O.L.L.
Maybe I over reacted, but that is no reason for you to call me a troll. I am just frustrated with seeming decline of quality posts and the decline of quality threads here lately. The last thing I want to see is this message board turn into another MavsTalk. Fluff threads like this set the wrong example, especially from a moderator.
If you consider this to be a fluff thread, then by all means just ignore it. I don't think you're a troll, but I really could care less whether you think my thread is a quality thread or not. I think I've contributed enough around here to post whatever I want, whether you think it's fluff or not.

Old 11-30-2004, 02:03 PM   #14
TheBenger

You can post what ever you like, kg_veteran. I just felt it set the wrong example to less experienced posters here. Imagine if everyone started a thread as silly as this. The board would be ruined. I guess you feel you have special privileges as a long time poster. I hadn't considered that. That is kind of an elitist attitude, don't you think?
Old 11-30-2004, 02:03 PM   #15
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
T.R.O.L.L.
I think it's a tad bit premature for you to be trying to dictate the tone of threads.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:09 PM   #16
TheBenger

I was just stating my opinion, Xerxes. I just don't want to see the quality of posts continue to decline here. I guess I am the only one that sees it that way...

Old 11-30-2004, 02:14 PM   #17
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was just stating my opinion, Xerxes. I just don't want to see the quality of posts continue to decline here. I guess I am the only one that sees it that way...

How about this....if you want to read a quality post, why don't you try WRITING one for a change?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 11-30-2004, 02:14 PM   #18
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
A well thought-out opinion would have considered the following:

-Should I mock a thread started by one of the most respected members of d-m?
-Should I mock a thread started by a Moderator?
-Should I mock a thread about one of the Mavericks most legendary players joining the TV broadcast team.

It just shows bad form.

That being said I'm giving you another chance.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:17 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's safe to say that this guy is either a former member from d-m.com that was banned and/or a member of another site with an axe to grind with KG and the murph.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:20 PM   #20
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

I loved Ro the player and Ro the person

But I cant listen to his commentary cause it is so inane. No expertise is offered. "They took a shot there cause they need to try to outscore the other team somehow" is his style - joining a mundane observation with a non-insightful commentary.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:20 PM   #21
TheBenger

Do you see this as a quality thread, Murphy3? I thought you of all people would agree with me that this thread was in bad taste.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:25 PM   #22
mary
Troll Hunter

I honestly had not noticed that Ro was so "inane" in his commentating. I'm going to make it a point to pay attention tonight during the game to his contributions and see if he's as bad as what you all are claiming.

Old 11-30-2004, 02:25 PM   #23
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein
I loved Ro the player and Ro the person

But I cant listen to his commentary cause it is so inane. No expertise is offered. "They took a shot there cause they need to try to outscore the other team somehow" is his style - joining a mundane observation with a non-insightful commentary.
It's great, because he makes rather obvious points, but he does it in such an incoherent fashion that they aren't that obvious.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:26 PM   #24
TheBenger

Quote:
How about this....if you want to read a quality post, why don't you try WRITING one for a change?
Pretty ironic coming from you Mary. You don't really post in this thread much. So I guess it doesn't really matter what goes on here to you. I may not post a lot here but I do read this board frequently. I guess that is why I care about it so much. I would like to apologize though. I have had a bad morning and seeing this thread kind of pushed me over the edge. I had nightmares of this place turning into Mavstalk all of a sudden. I will just keep quiet now and read to myself like I usually do.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:30 PM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Mary has consistently offered intelligent opinions, statistical research and analysis, and a quality sense of humor during her time at this board. She has quickly rose from being an occasional poster to one of the more respected members on this site. Why you're attacking her is beyond me when your gripe is obviously with KG and TheMurph.

Anyways, back on topic. For me, the jury's still out on Ro. I honestly haven't listened to enough of him to get a concrete opinion mostly because I try to listen to Followill as much as possible. Ortegal and Pinto had long scared me away from listening to the TV broadcast.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:33 PM   #26
XERXES
Diamond Member

I would have thought that it would have been difficlt for the Mavs TV BROADCAST team to have ever gtten more "inane..." but by adding Ro they somehow accomplished it.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:35 PM   #27
TheBenger

I have no problem with you or kg_veteran, Murphy3. I have no problem with Mary either. But she did send me a rude private message and never responded to my response. I think everyone is getting too sensitive. Just a bit of constructive criticism is all. We can agree that if everyone started a thread like this this board would be a real mess, can't we?
Old 11-30-2004, 03:19 PM   #28
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

This thread makes me laugh. I love the Mavs broadcast team. Makes me chuckle just to think of the things said.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:23 PM   #29
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

On a related topic, I enjoyed Hubert Davis immensely
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:33 PM   #30
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: XERXES
can we come up with an unofficial list of all the cheesey phrases that Pinto uses:

what else is there?
3. Same spot, same shot, same (or different) result.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 05:09 PM   #31
gooftroop

gooftroop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: TripleDipping
Quote:
Originally posted by: XERXES

what else is there?
3. Same spot, same shot, same (or different) result.
4. the basket is a rain bucket for (insert player)
5. no pot of gold at the bottom of that rainbow
gooftroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 05:17 PM   #32
mary
Troll Hunter

6. there's a lid on the bucket

Old 11-30-2004, 05:20 PM   #33
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: mary
6. there's a lid on the bucket
I actually kinda like that one. I've only heard it once so far though. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2004, 05:21 PM   #34
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Isn't he the one that came up with the very lame "The Flying Tiger" in reference to Mike Finley?

I like Cha Ching the Mavericks Money Ball though. Just me I guess.

I like Pinto though, it is Ortegal that drives me up a wall and makes me want to tear my hair out follicle by follicle.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:17 PM   #35
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I get a kick out of Matt & Bob.. I am so used to them, and they're goofy as hell. I likes it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:55 PM   #36
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

I liked the "Duncan has never fouled anyone in his NBA career" line.

The LA announcers are hilarious. When ATL was playing they kept making fun of Walker. "Oh, he will definantly take that shot, he never passed one up in his life."
Old 12-01-2004, 12:17 AM   #37
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

The "movement with a purpose" reference was worth the thread alone, because Ortegal does that. He has done it in the past, and he will continue to do that in the future.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 12:20 AM   #38
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

he definitly sounds like lamaar's older brother from revenge of the nerds
Old 12-02-2004, 01:15 PM   #39
NewMexiMav

NewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to behold

I have no doubt that if you follow another NBA team, and then watch one Mav telecast and hear Matt and Bob, you will think they are the goofiest broadcast team in all of televised sports.

However, as a Mav fan, I've grown accustomed to their goofy ways. And if you think Matt is goofy now, did you hear him when he was doing the radio broadcasts? He was super-goofy (i.e., referring to Bradley as "vanilla thunder"). He's definitely toned it down for TV.

Ortegal is sooooo predictable. I get so tired of hearing, "It is important to close out the quarter strongly, Matt." But again, after hearing him game after game, he becomes almost endearing. The predictability is comforting in a self-tormenting sort of way.

I can't comment on Ro objectively. I am a Kansas native who worshipped Ro at K-State. I moved to Dallas a year before the Mavs drafted Ro. Needless to say, Ro is my all-time favorite Mav. Accordingly, I can't bad mouth his color-commentary performance. Honestly, though, I can't say much good either.
NewMexiMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:26 PM   #40
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
I have no doubt that if you follow another NBA team, and then watch one Mav telecast and hear Matt and Bob, you will think they are the goofiest broadcast team in all of televised sports.
I might have believed that before this year. Now I have league pass and it's pathetic how bad and/or goofy some of the announcers are.