Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 01-12-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What should the Texans do with the #1 pick?

Officially, I think that the Texans should nab Reggie Bush and then try to upgrade the o-line in free agency/trade/later picks. But, I've heard so many people whine about selecting the homeboy Vince Young that I thought I might ponder it a bit. I've come up with a scenario that I like, but I would still draft Bush if I were the GM. Tell me your thoughts and add your own scenarios. It should get interesting between now and draft day.

Doc's insanely Genius Scenario

Many in the Texans franchise have lost faith in David Carr. I personally think he is a decent line away from being a special quarterback. Not John Elway special, but certainly >Drew Bledsoe special. If in fact the Texans are becoming disillusioned with Carr, package him and any others needed to balance for Ricky Williams and Gus Frerotte of the Miami Dophins. By doing this, the Texans would be free to draft Vince Young, making many happy. The reigns could be handed to VY or more likely Frerotte who would be a solid veteran quarterback who could assist in the mentoring process of VY.

The Texans backfield in this scenario:

QB- Gus Frerotte
QB- Vince Young (huge local draw)

RB - Ricky Williams (another Texas guy who would stimulate fan interest)
RB - Dominick Davis
RB - Jonathan Wells (I reeeeeaaaaally like this kid)

That's a pretty solid backfield. Miami might be interested since they would get a front line quarterback which they haven't had in years and they also get to jettison Ricky who is not liked by the front office.

The Texans do it to obtain two highly talented Texas natives who draw well and produce.

To compare I offer my opinion, which is to draft Reggie Bush....The backfield looks like this:

QB - David Carr
QB - free agent (unless you want to keep Tony Banks and Dave Ragone...ugh)

RB - Reggie Bush
RB - Dominick Davis
RB - Jonathan Wells

Not a bad backfield either. The Texans simply must upgrade their offensive line. It is atrocious. Either of the above backfields would give me hope as a fan, but I like the one with the trade with Miami, even though personally if I were the gm I would stick to the second.

Now get to analyzing......
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2006, 10:44 PM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I thinkt hey should trade down, as two of the three best players they already have play QB and RB. Trading down with the Jets and taking the OLineman would be ideal.

But if they don't trade down, take Reggie Bush and don't look back.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Wow, whats wrong with my computer....keeps double posting.

Last edited by #1MavsFan; 01-12-2006 at 10:49 PM.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:49 PM   #4
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

If the Texans gm trades Carr for Ricky, drafts Vince, and adds some lineman through the draft and free agency he'll be considered a god in H town. Imagine a backfield featuring questionably two of the best Longhorns ever, and to top it off on a Texas team.

VY + Ricky > RB + Carr?

I see no reason why not, Ricky is considered a top back in this league, looks to be over his prior problems, and will come much cheaper than Reggie Bush since he’s on record for saying he'll play for the minimum. In fact by drafting Vince and trading for Ricky I'm sure they'll save enough money to go after a prized offensive lineman in free agency.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:53 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

The one caveat would be if they passed on Bush and he became the greatest player somewhere else, they would never hear the end of it.

thig- I would never take an O-line guy in the first round. Tony Mandarich anyone?
Old 01-13-2006, 12:07 AM   #6
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

But wouldn't the same thing happen if Vince ends up becoming the greatest player somewhere else? They probably would hear more about it since the Texans fans want Vince and view it as a perfect situation.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:28 AM   #7
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

I'd see if I can get a Ricky Williams/Herschel Walker type picks package for the #1 pick, and then take a guy like Ferguson with the first pick.

If not, take Bush.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:44 AM   #8
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The Texans need to trade out of there, even if it's only to move a couple spots. Reggie Bush ain't gonna fix all their problems. For that matter, I'm not sold on him being a superstar in the pros.

Kijana Carter, anyone?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:51 AM   #9
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
The one caveat would be if they passed on Bush and he became the greatest player somewhere else, they would never hear the end of it.

thig- I would never take an O-line guy in the first round. Tony Mandarich anyone?
Orlando Pace or Jonathan Ogden anyone?

Go look over the past ten drafts. The percentage of OLineman that were busts in the first round is FAR lower than skill positions.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 01-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Look through the NFL...the vast majority of really good linemen on the offensive line were taken in late rounds. They are easier to find than a skilled back. They aren't growing on trees I know, but there are plenty out there.

Last edited by Drbio; 01-13-2006 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:37 AM   #11
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Look through the NFL...the vast majority of really good linemen on the offensive line were taken in late rounds. They are easier to find than a skilled back. They aren't growing on trees I know, but there are plenty out there.
This is completely untrue. It is FAR easier to find a pro bowl RB than a pro bowl Tackle.

There are 6 OT's in the pro bowl this year. Their draft positions were 1, 6, 3, 10, 8, 4. Let that sink in. That HAS to be the highest average draft position of ANY position in the pro bowl.

It gets a little easier to find Guards and Centers, but still, the "vast majority" of them are drafted on the first day. Of the guards and centers in the pro bowl this year, 3 are from the 1st round, 3 are from the 2nd round, 3 are from the 3rd round, and 2 are undrafted.

BTW, the guard that is undrafted is the first undrafted Guard to make the probowl since 1998.

I agree that you can find solid linemen in the later rounds. But if you want an elite lineman, you almost always have to spend a first day pick on him, and if you want an elite Tackle, you're talking a top ten pick 80% of the time.

And I realize the Pro Bowl isn't the greatest way to determine the best at a position, but it's the easiest way I have right now.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 01-13-2006 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:03 AM   #12
Drbio
Banned

We disagree. Most solid offensive linemen (notice you went to Pro Bowl, not I - and thanks for that caveat) are low round choices. It is better to have a serviceable offensive line than a stud linemen surrounded by crap. Of course, this is not necc. the norm either. Great linemen make good linemen better.

3 first rounders.....my statement was later rounds....even in the Pro Bowl that makes 5 in the "later rounds".

Last edited by Drbio; 01-13-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #13
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

If I were the Texans' GM, I'd trade Carr and pick Young with the No. 1 pick. I wouldn't trade down in the first round to get offensive linemen because they take several years to develop.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:34 PM   #14
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Doc, it was three first rounders AFTER the tackles. Did you see the draft position of the Tackles? It is damn near impossible to get an elite Offensive Tackle without a top 15 pick.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-13-2006, 02:08 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

I never said Elite....I said "really good". I don't care if my line has a Tony Boselli (in his prime) if it is stocked with 5 really good guys. The better line is one with 5 guys who complement each other and are solid...maybe even average/average plus, not a star plus four others. Having a star in your line makes it better sure, but the best lines in football everyyear don't necesarily have Elite guys, it's those who play together best. Those kinds of guys can be had in latter rounds allowing you to take skilled players early.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:46 PM   #16
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I'd draft Young. The best player in the draft and he's playing the hardest position on the field. The verdict is still out on Carr. I can't imagine the Texans having difficulty moving him. Reggie Bush would be the more reasonable choice but I don't think he's even a given in this league. The o-line and d-lines are completely different than what hey are in college. Not to mention Dominique Davis is not a bad back. I'd fix the offensive line problems in the offseason or in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:27 PM   #17
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation

I think they should just pick Vince...the guy is amazing and can Run and Throw.
It will b a mistake if they pass up on him and plus he is a home guy.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:17 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
I think they should just pick Vince...the guy is amazing and can Run and Throw.
It will b a mistake if they pass up on him and plus he is a home guy.
Vince behind Carr? He will never play. You can't think for one second that he would be the starter. It might be good to have a mentoring year or two, but I'd much rather mentor a guy like Vince with a seasoned veteran than a young star like Carr.

I think they draft Bush and never look back, but if Vince is their guy, they need to trade Carr and bring in a vet.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:39 PM   #19
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Vince Young - A no-brainer for Houston; like the LeBron situation but magnified exponentially. The city won't get upstaged by Bud Adams.
Reggie Bush - Tagliabue's dreams come true. Saints will move to LA in 2007 with Reggie as the face of the franchise.
Matt Leinhart - The Golden Boy is reunited with his college coach Norm Chow. Tennessee is close to Cincinnati and his Boyfriend Nick Lachey.

Everybody wins.

Last edited by capitalcity; 01-13-2006 at 05:41 PM.
capitalcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:42 PM   #20
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

sorry my computer is messed up or something

Last edited by #1MavsFan; 01-13-2006 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:42 PM   #21
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

The Texans would be crazy if they didn't draft Vince.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...bayless/060113

Pretty much sums it up.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:58 PM   #22
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

I... uh... agree with Skip Bayless.

Ugh, I feel dirty.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:36 PM   #23
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

IMO, the Texans need far more than a QB or a RB, and have better than avg of these two positions already.

Either trade Carr or Davis for picks and OL, then draft Young or Bush---- or trade down to #4-6 and pick up picks.

Too many needs for one player to make a difference.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:48 PM   #24
Drbio
Banned

good point dalm.

If you believe all of the reports emanating from within the franchise, the pick has been made and that pick is Reggie Bush.

edit---> John McClain is probably the most plugged in soprtswriter in Houston and he has reported numerous times that the Texans will select Bush. Take it for what it is worth but McClain is a pretty rock solid reporter.

Last edited by Drbio; 01-13-2006 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:20 AM   #25
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

If they feel that makes them the better team than they have to take him. Winning brings people to the stands. I disagree and think they should trade the pick but whoever ends up getting drafted second is gonna look like sam bowie to whoever gets drafted 3rds michael jordan. Chow is one of the most brilliant offensive minds football has ever seen and the saints are well the saints. I mean they made mike ditka into a loser.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:09 AM   #26
Drbio
Banned

Does the hiring of Kubiak stoke this up again?
Old 01-23-2006, 11:20 AM   #27
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Why couldn't VY be a tailback?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:00 PM   #28
endtroducing MASKED
Golden Member

endtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to behold

are you serious?

he's too big (6'5 = running way too high to get past the tackles), he's never played the position (at least not on a high level, I don't know or care about anything pre-Texas), and he probably couldn't take the constant pounding of his body. why would you want to take away his passing ability? ridiculous suggestion.

Last edited by endtroducing MASKED; 01-23-2006 at 03:01 PM.
endtroducing MASKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:01 PM   #29
Drbio
Banned

The first reason would be that VY himself out of his own mouth has said he wants to be a QB. If you draft him to move him there might be trouble.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:08 PM   #30
Dropstep

Dropstep will become famous soon enough

Trade Down without question, so many holes to fill and good/great rbs are easy to get late first and second round!
Old 01-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #31
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by endtroducing MASKED
are you serious?

he's too big (6'5 = running way too high to get past the tackles), he's never played the position (at least not on a high level, I don't know or care about anything pre-Texas), and he probably couldn't take the constant pounding of his body. why would you want to take away his passing ability? ridiculous suggestion.
First time I saw him, I thought:

Eric Dickerson, 6.3, 225
Chuck Muncie 6.3,235
Marcus Dupree 6.3, 240
Edwin Simmons 6.4, 235

Tailbacks all. Of the four, Dickerson managaged the most successful pro career, by far. Muncie had a decent career, but he was injury prone. Simmons and DuPree had similar body types to Young, but they too were injury prone, though not really due to any pounding they took.

Not to say that there wouldn't be an adjustment, but Young basically gets the ball where (if not how) a tailback gets the ball. He takes a pounding when he carries the ball one way or another.

Also, unless he's going to completely revolutionize the pro-QB position (which he may), he's going to be getting hit by a lot bigger and faster pass rushers once he gets to the pros if he ever stands back in the pocket. Does he take his pounding standing still, or does he take it while delievering a blow?

He's been a great college player, great fun to watch. But a lot of people who've seen a lot of football have doubts about him as a pro QB. I frankly think he could be at least as successful as a TB as he will be as a QB.

From a promotional/marketing standpoint, I hate to see the Houston franchise in the position of having to decide not to take him.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:03 PM   #32
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Bush.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote