Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-18-2020, 07:59 AM   #721
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Silas got a second interview with the Rockets. Really hope he doesn’t go there.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2020, 12:12 AM   #722
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.bballrumors.com/2020/10/...q3vFe_vags&m=1
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:47 PM   #723
ExRocketNewMav

ExRocketNewMav will become famous soon enoughExRocketNewMav will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Silas got a second interview with the Rockets. Really hope he doesn’t go there.
Rockets fans want him.

My name says it all to explain the input...

(waiting to get enough privileges to start a thread to explain myself so hopefully don't get too flamed before that time comes)

The new Rockets ownership is so incompetent though so I don't think they'll head this direction. That is of course unless Silas accepts a very low-ball offer because that's going to be the most important factor in Tilman Fertitta making his head coaching decision.

The Rockets are long past the acceptable time-frame to bring in a new coach, especially considering the discussed starting date for the next season.

As each week passes it is saving Fertitta a hell of a lot of money to not have to pay a head coach.

I wouldn't expect JVG purely because he'd be expensive and he had ties to Morey. Although I have heard he approves of the interim GM (I use that term because the GM position is a placeholder until Fertitta can insert his son into that role... can someone say New York Knicks 2.0?)

Last edited by ExRocketNewMav; 10-26-2020 at 05:49 PM.
ExRocketNewMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:42 PM   #724
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExRocketNewMav View Post
Rockets fans want him.

(waiting to get enough privileges to start a thread to explain myself so hopefully don't get too flamed before that time comes)

The new Rockets ownership is so incompetent though so I don't think they'll head this direction. That is of course unless Silas accepts a very low-ball offer because that's going to be the most important factor in Tilman Fertitta making his head coaching decision.

The Rockets are long past the acceptable time-frame to bring in a new coach, especially considering the discussed starting date for the next season.

As each week passes it is saving Fertitta a hell of a lot of money to not have to pay a head coach.

I wouldn't expect JVG purely because he'd be expensive and he had ties to Morey. Although I have heard he approves of the interim GM (I use that term because the GM position is a placeholder until Fertitta can insert his son into that role... can someone say New York Knicks 2.0?)
I feel like Morey would never have wanted the Westbrook trade to happen, and I've heard some suggest that Harden went over his head to the owner to get it done. As a Rockets fan, can you confirm or refute this?
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:02 AM   #725
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Rockets fans want him.

Welcome to the board! Fertitta is an idiot AND he’s cheap. At least Dolan is willing to spend. What a mess Houston is going to be going forward. How long you think before Harden asks out? I think after this season coming season (such as it shall be) he’s gone.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:53 PM   #726
ExRocketNewMav

ExRocketNewMav will become famous soon enoughExRocketNewMav will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
I feel like Morey would never have wanted the Westbrook trade to happen, and I've heard some suggest that Harden went over his head to the owner to get it done. As a Rockets fan, can you confirm or refute this?
I think I would be hard pressed to find on Clutchfans more than a handful of people who don't think/know deep down this was not a Morey move.

This was a 100% Tilman Fertitta move - he did not want to pay Chris Paul's monstrous contract. And Westbrook was a flashy and shiny object that attracts the attention span of idiots like Tilman.

This coincidentally was also the moment when I realised I can't defend Harden anymore from some of the hate he gets and I just had to learn to accept the fact that whilst he is a phenomenal and generational talent, he doesn't have that undying and ever burning desire to win at all costs. Since ultimately Tilman floated the idea to Harden about the CP3/Westbrook framework and Harden green lit the decision.

Westbrook is historically bad with regards to his distance shooting... I still to this day cannot fathom why we brought him to the team which sets records year after year for the amount of distance shooting they do.

I was a big Chris Paul fan well before he joined the Rockets. Knowing that the Warriors were not going to be in our way this past season, I was praying we'd give CP3 and Harden one more chance.

I know Chris Paul isn't a favourite (apologies for my Australian spelling) teammate of many in the league, but Harden not being able to make it work was a big red flag to the idea that he wants to win a Championship.

I'm blabbering here so in closing - this was 100% not a Morey move - and this has played a part in his departure regardless of what is said in the media (I am so, SO glad he left on his own terms and didn't wait until the day in the near future Tilman forced him out)

The Westbrook trade was, is and forever will be on the shoulders of Tilman Fertitta and James Harden. And it is a move which has not only destroyed the Rockets team in the short term, but has also torpedoed the franchise for at least the next decade AT BEST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Welcome to the board! Fertitta is an idiot AND he’s cheap. At least Dolan is willing to spend. What a mess Houston is going to be going forward. How long you think before Harden asks out? I think after this season coming season (such as it shall be) he’s gone.
Yup - Tilman purchasing the team should make so many Mavs fans happy ha. The future looks horrendous for the Rockets and I shudder to think just how bad it will become when Tilman JR is the GM.

Regardless of what I've said above and if it comes across that I don't like Harden anymore - I still love the guy for everything he's done for the Rockets. As a fan since the days of......... losing a Game 7 by 40 points to Dirk Nowitzki (admittedly, that still hurts!) Harden took the Rockets to where no one has before since I've been watching religiously. No matter how much flak he cops from the media and fans of other teams, i'll always respect him forever for the fact he took it to the Warriors and never backed down from them.

Whilst I wouldn't mind seeing him finish his career and retire a Rocket as the clear #2 behind Olajuwon (if he retired today I still think he'd hold that place), a part of me hopes he asks out and chases a ring somewhere so his legacy after retirement can change.

If he were to want out, I agree with you that it will be next offseason after another failed season resulting in another woeful playoff exit. (this also comes back to the point I made earlier where I'm just not sure he cares about a championship, so may be perfectly content playing the next few years with his buddy and doing nothing in the Playoffs)

There's rumours that he has stated he'll ask for a trade if Westbrook is traded away from the Rockets.

Last edited by ExRocketNewMav; 10-27-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:11 PM   #727
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
I think I would be hard pressed to find on Clutchfans more than a handful of people who don't think/know deep down this was not a Morey move.

This was a 100% Tilman Fertitta move - he did not want to pay Chris Paul's monstrous contract. And Westbrook was a flashy and shiny object that attracts the attention span of idiots like Tilman.

This coincidentally was also the moment when I realised I can't defend Harden anymore from some of the hate he gets and I just had to learn to accept the fact that whilst he is a phenomenal and generational talent, he doesn't have that undying and ever burning desire to win at all costs. Since ultimately Tilman floated the idea to Harden about the CP3/Westbrook framework and Harden green lit the decision.

Westbrook is historically bad with regards to his distance shooting... I still to this day cannot fathom why we brought him to the team which sets records year after year for the amount of distance shooting they do.

I was a big Chris Paul fan well before he joined the Rockets. Knowing that the Warriors were not going to be in our way this past season, I was praying we'd give CP3 and Harden one more chance.

I know Chris Paul isn't a favourite (apologies for my Australian spelling) teammate of many in the league, but Harden not being able to make it work was a big red flag to the idea that he wants to win a Championship.

I'm blabbering here so in closing - this was 100% not a Morey move - and this has played a part in his departure regardless of what is said in the media (I am so, SO glad he left on his own terms and didn't wait until the day in the near future Tilman forced him out)

The Westbrook trade was, is and forever will be on the shoulders of Tilman Fertitta and James Harden. And it is a move which has not only destroyed the Rockets team in the short term, but has also torpedoed the franchise for at least the next decade AT BEST.
Thanks. This is pretty much what I figured, but it's nice to get it from someone who follows that team more religiously.

Westbrook could've worked if they let him play on the ball, but the whole world knew that wasn't happening, and why bring in a player who is only good on the ball when he's not better on the ball than the guy you have? I just don't get it.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:15 AM   #728
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Rockets hire our assistant coach Silas as their head coach

Mavs have a lot of coaching talent who have stepped out of Ricks shadow now.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:10 AM   #729
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Welcome! This is all really valuable insight. I really appreciate getting first-hand perspective from a Rockets fan what this all feels like.

The Westbrook trade looks absolutely horrible in retrospect. Hell, maybe it looked horrible at the time too. I for one didn't think it would work, but I thought it might at least be worth a shot. The way I figured the front office's thought process was something like,

"yeah, Harden and Paul were successful together, but it's only downhill from here. Paul is too old and is only going to get worse. That particular group has peaked, and bottom line, these two guys don't like each other and are flat-out DONE with each other. Westbrook probably isn't a great fit and probably won't work, however, this is the only thing of value we can get for the otherwise untradeable Chris Paul. Harden is over 30 and there really aren't any more big moves we can make, so this is our last shot. Westbrook is still ostensibly a superstar, so he and Westbrook will at least have a puncher's chance in the playoffs."

It was a total Hail Mary. This seems silly, but it honestly never occurred to me that Morey might not have wanted it and he was overruled on it. He's always been a "swing for the fences" guy, and I just figured this was the culmination of that.

Honestly CP3 for Westbrook in a vacuum isn't really a bad deal, even if it was a bad fit. What makes it horrible is losing all the draft picks. They're really in a horrible spot now. All the talks about trading Harden and tearing it all down seem to neglect that even tanking does no good now because the Rockets down have any of their own picks for the next four years. The Rockets are in a horrible spot indeed.

Quote:
Yup - Tilman purchasing the team should make so many Mavs fans happy ha. The future looks horrendous for the Rockets and I shudder to think just how bad it will become when Tilman JR is the GM.
Honestly man, it kind of makes me sad. Like, yeah, it's good for my team. But I honestly don't like seeing any franchise with such a rich history hit bottom like this. It's bad for the NBA and bad for basketball. I might not root for them, but I want all the big franchises to at least be relevant. Whether its the Rockets, the Knicks, the Bulls, the Sixers, the Lakers or the Celtics... I want them to be relevant enough to actually be worth rooting against.

Also, I have a lot of sympathy for where Rockets fans are right now because I went through something very similar with the Mavs in the late 2000s. You see, before the miraculous and utterly unexpected title win in 2011, there was a few years there where it really seemed like the Mavs had missed their championship window and Dirk was destined to retire without a ring- unless he went somewhere else. That for me was the most unhappy time I've ever had as a Mavs fan. Yes, that was more unhappy than all the years of missing the playoffs or even outright tanking. At least when you're tanking there's always the hope of a brighter future. This though? Knowing that the best days are behind you, and knowing that the ultimate dream of a championship is no longer feasible but your team is still good enough to be teased with the idea, haunted by the still-recent failure. That's a horribly frustrating place to be as a fan.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:13 PM   #730
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Sources: James Harden, Russell Westbrook concerned about direction of Houston Rockets

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ouston-rockets

As the Houston Rockets navigate an offseason of major change, a new challenge is emerging for the franchise -- the uncertainty of former MVP guards James Harden and Russell Westbrook on their futures with the team, sources told ESPN.

In the wake of the departures of head coach Mike D'Antoni and general manager Daryl Morey, Harden and Westbrook have expressed concern about the direction of the franchise through direct conversations or discussions with their representatives and the Rockets' front office, sources said.

Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta, recently promoted general manager Rafael Stone and recently hired head coach Stephen Silas have emphasized that the franchise remains committed to fielding a contender while featuring the two perennial All-Stars in their primes. However, the concerns expressed by Harden and Westbrook that Houston's window as a contender could be closing has left the organization fearful that the superstars' commitment to remaining with the Rockets could be wavering.

Although neither player has requested a trade at this point, that scenario has become a plausible eventual possibility.

Harden, 31, has been an All-Star in all eight seasons since arriving in Houston, winning MVP in 2017-18 and finishing among the top three in voting four other times in the past six years, and claiming the NBA's past three scoring titles. He is owed $131.5 million over the three seasons remaining on his maximum contract, including a $46.9 million player option in 2022-23.

Westbrook, who will turn 32 on Thursday, is also owed $131.5 million over the next three seasons and has a $46.7 million player option in 2022-23. He won the 2016-17 MVP and made his ninth All-Star appearance last season, which ended with Westbrook playing through rust and injury after rushing back from a strained right quadriceps during the first round of the playoffs.

Both stars were consulted during the Rockets' coaching search and were on board with hiring Silas, sources said.

Harden, who has said publicly several times that he hopes to play the remainder of his career in Houston, has expressed similar urgency in the past several offseasons about improving the Rockets' chances to win a championship. He remains engaged in discussions with Houston's front office about potential personnel moves this offseason, sources said.

The Rockets have aggressively chased titles during Harden's tenure by three times pairing him with another perennial All-Star -- first signing center Dwight Howard as a free agent in 2013, then trading for Chris Paul in the 2017 offseason and finally swapping Paul and a package of first-round picks for Westbrook last summer.

The Rockets advanced to the Western Conference finals in 2015 with Howard and 2018 with Paul, but those partnerships with Harden ended soon thereafter partly because of tension involving personalities and basketball philosophy, specifically regarding Harden's preference to rely on isolations offensively.

Harden pushed to make the trade for Westbrook, his childhood friend in Los Angeles and former Oklahoma City Thunder teammate, a deal that depleted Houston's draft assets. The Rockets owe the Thunder their 2024 and 2026 first-round picks (top-four-protected), and Oklahoma City has top-10-protected swap rights with Houston in 2021 and 2025.

The Rockets also do not have a first-round pick in this year's NBA draft, having given it up along with center Clint Capela in the four-team deal that brought forward Robert Covington to Houston last season. Houston has limited flexibility to improve its roster, as the Rockets are pushing up against the luxury tax. Fertitta has repeatedly said he is willing to pay the tax, but the franchise has avoided it in the three seasons since Fertitta purchased the team.

"We're going to continue to be extraordinarily aggressive," Stone said Thursday in a virtual news conference to introduce Silas. "We're going to shoot for it. Whether we get there or not, I don't know, but I can guarantee you that we're going to shoot for it, and I'm really, really looking forward to it."

D'Antoni, who had a franchise-record .682 winning percentage in four seasons with the Rockets, opted not to attempt to return to Houston when his contract expired following the team's second-round playoff exit. Houston hired Silas, a first-time head coach with two decades of experience as an NBA assistant, after interviewing a wide range of candidates during the search process.

Morey, whose October 2012 trade for Harden opened a window for the Rockets to be contenders, resigned as Houston's general manager in October, citing the desire to spend more time with his family as the reason for ending his 13-year tenure as the Rockets' general manager. Less than two weeks later, Morey agreed to become the Philadelphia 76ers' president of basketball operations.

Stone, a longtime Rockets front-office employee, was promoted to general manager to replace Morey. In his first public comments since his promotion, Stone said adamantly that the Rockets planned to continue pursuing championships with Harden as the franchise centerpiece.

"For the last eight years or so, our goal has been to win a championship because we had James Harden," Stone said Thursday. "We've still got James Harden. Our goal is still to win a championship, and if you've got him, you're halfway there. It's incumbent on me and Stephen and the whole team to figure out the rest of the whole, but the key piece is there."

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-11-2020 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:35 PM   #731
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

https://twitter.com/ChrisKirschner/s...74110994915329

This is why everything is smoke right now.

Old 11-11-2020, 03:36 PM   #732
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol Rockets

Last edited by sefant77; 11-11-2020 at 03:38 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:13 PM   #733
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Lol Rockets

Mahahhaha

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/st...78884226658311

Old 11-11-2020, 08:47 PM   #734
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:12 PM   #735
ExRocketNewMav

I honestly thought it would take little longer than it has for Fertitta to turn the Rockets into the Knicks.

I've actually got to give him credit though for doing it so quickly.

There's two ways this boils down for Houston:

1) Russ wants out but Harden stays - which is the top priority and would actually improve the team

2) Russ wants out followed by Harden - which is what my gut tells me would eventually occur

When Morey left, he took out a full page in the paper giving thanks. Harden featured very heavily in that. Of course Harden is what launched Morey's name to what it is today - but I wonder if they were seeds being planted.

Morey was always someone who listened to James in all facets of life not just basketball, but he still did whatever he could to appease James which helped develop their relationship.

Fertitta has been so bad, that he has run off the head coach (his contract was up, but by all internal comms the Rockets wanted him back); the GM who said he wants to take time away from basketball to be with his family.... to accepting another job days later.... aka he wants to get the hell away from Fertitta; and has now upset the franchise player (unsubstantiated reports at the moment from Kendrick Perkins that Harden hasn't spoken to the front office for a while now.... although I know Russ and Perkins are tight so I assume where there's smoke there's fire)

I pray Harden finds his way to Philly this season and he has a crack at the East, with his buddy Morey and a team that isn't afraid to spend to win. I don't want Fertitta ruining what's left of Harden's prime years I can only hope Harden doesn't either.

Either way. I said to my friend immediately after the CP3/Westbrook trade happened that it is either going to go great, or it's going to come crashing down in epic proportions. It's funny to see this playing out.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:34 PM   #736
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Rockets All-Star Russell Westbrook wants out of Houston, sources told The Athletic’s Shams Charania.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:48 PM   #737
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Top Ball Coverage: Fred VanVleet on his priorities in free agency: “I’ve won a championship, now it’s time to cash out.” –

Didn’t think he’d leave Toronto, and I’m sure they make a big offer, but curious if he signs elsewhere. I think free agency is going to go fast this season. I can’t wait!
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:50 PM   #738
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Top Ball Coverage: Fred VanVleet on his priorities in free agency: “I’ve won a championship, now it’s time to cash out.” –

Didn’t think he’d leave Toronto, and I’m sure they make a big offer, but curious if he signs elsewhere. I think free agency is going to go fast this season. I can’t wait!
Cant see him leaving for some crap franchise like Detroit for a couple million more. Toronto would have to low ball him or another team would have to break the bank.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:59 PM   #739
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
I honestly thought it would take little longer than it has for Fertitta to turn the Rockets into the Knicks.

I've actually got to give him credit though for doing it so quickly.

There's two ways this boils down for Houston:

1) Russ wants out but Harden stays - which is the top priority and would actually improve the team

2) Russ wants out followed by Harden - which is what my gut tells me would eventually occur

When Morey left, he took out a full page in the paper giving thanks. Harden featured very heavily in that. Of course Harden is what launched Morey's name to what it is today - but I wonder if they were seeds being planted.

Morey was always someone who listened to James in all facets of life not just basketball, but he still did whatever he could to appease James which helped develop their relationship.

Fertitta has been so bad, that he has run off the head coach (his contract was up, but by all internal comms the Rockets wanted him back); the GM who said he wants to take time away from basketball to be with his family.... to accepting another job days later.... aka he wants to get the hell away from Fertitta; and has now upset the franchise player (unsubstantiated reports at the moment from Kendrick Perkins that Harden hasn't spoken to the front office for a while now.... although I know Russ and Perkins are tight so I assume where there's smoke there's fire)

I pray Harden finds his way to Philly this season and he has a crack at the East, with his buddy Morey and a team that isn't afraid to spend to win. I don't want Fertitta ruining what's left of Harden's prime years I can only hope Harden doesn't either.

Either way. I said to my friend immediately after the CP3/Westbrook trade happened that it is either going to go great, or it's going to come crashing down in epic proportions. It's funny to see this playing out.
The Rockets mess is literally the most predictable thing ever. You seem like a good dude and we are happy to have you aboard the board, but Harden is responsible in part for the mess. I sincerely hope he is stuck and doesn’t get the emergency ejection soft landing of his choosing to some other contender. In part because of guys like YOU, who are Houston fans and always will be. I have friends from Houston who are life long fans. I hate Harden. He’s baked cheating into the very fabric of his game in a nearly unprecedented way. And he does not seem like a good dude. He wanted CP3 (my other least favorite player) gone and he wanted Russ. It’s his mess and I hope he gets to live in it for a few more years.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:19 PM   #740
ExRocketNewMav

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
The Rockets mess is literally the most predictable thing ever. You seem like a good dude and we are happy to have you aboard the board, but Harden is responsible in part for the mess. I sincerely hope he is stuck and doesn’t get the emergency ejection soft landing of his choosing to some other contender. In part because of guys like YOU, who are Houston fans and always will be. I have friends from Houston who are life long fans. I hate Harden. He’s baked cheating into the very fabric of his game in a nearly unprecedented way. And he does not seem like a good dude. He wanted CP3 (my other least favorite player) gone and he wanted Russ. It’s his mess and I hope he gets to live in it for a few more years.
You'll actually see in one of my posts further up, I place a big deal of blame at Harden's feet for the mess the Rockets are in due entirely to the Westbrook trade.

I'll never understand the cheating thing though. Especially since Doncic has claimed he's built his game on Harden. I'd expect a Mavs fan to look past the ESPN talking heads who try to hammer the 'cheating' point home.

It's been multiple years since Harden has predicated his game on jerking his head back as if he got whiplash when driving into the key.

I suggest watching a Rockets game without the hater glasses on and actually acknowledge Harden is fouled and not given the foul, a lot more often than he gets a foul that isn't a foul.

It's the same as the 'horrible defender' spiel. It's been multiple years since that was actually true. And there is ample evidence suggesting otherwise, but people don't care because ESPN keep trying to sway the narrative.

But that is just what news media does I guess.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

Harden has done enough for the Rockets for me to wish him well. But as mentioned before, a big piece of the blame should fall at his feet and it would be deserved.

Let's not get it twisted though, Tilman Fertitta is ruining the franchise, not James Harden.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:28 PM   #741
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Rockets All-Star Russell Westbrook wants out of Houston, sources told The Athletic’s Shams Charania.
LMAO, the Rockets gave up four years worth of draft picks to get him, and after one season, he wants out.

Seriously, who the hell would want him at this point? Why would any team trade for him? There's no contender that he would help more than he would hurt. He gets paid so much that you probably have to give up some valuable assets to get him even if you don't want to. If the Rockets actually had assets themselves to give, I could see a rebuilding team willing to take on his salary just to get the assets that would come with him, but the Rockets have nothing of value to offer... The ONLY reason anyone would trade for Russ is some dogsh*t team in a small market just wants a big name to sell some tickets... but selling tickets isn't even a thing right now.

So agin... who the hell would want Westbrook and why?

Russ has the weirdest career in NBA history. He's a former MVP who has averaged a 30 point triple double. Nobody would ever deny that he's one of the most incredible talents the game has ever seen. And yet even on his best day, I don't think most people ever really believed he was a winner.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:40 PM   #742
ExRocketNewMav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
LMAO, the Rockets gave up four years worth of draft picks to get him, and after one season, he wants out.

Seriously, who the hell would want him at this point? Why would any team trade for him? There's no contender that he would help more than he would hurt. He gets paid so much that you probably have to give up some valuable assets to get him even if you don't want to. If the Rockets actually had assets themselves to give, I could see a rebuilding team willing to take on his salary just to get the assets that would come with him, but the Rockets have nothing of value to offer... The ONLY reason anyone would trade for Russ is some dogsh*t team in a small market just wants a big name to sell some tickets... but selling tickets isn't even a thing right now.

Russ has the weirdest career in NBA history. He's a former MVP who has averaged a 30 point triple double. Nobody would ever deny that he's one of the most incredible talents the game has ever seen. And yet even on his best day, I don't think most people ever really believed he was a winner.
At this point I think the fans are grasping to the last remaining straw - being the Knicks are still the worst franchise in the league and they would be stupid enough to make a play for him.

But apart from that I don't see how any team trades for him.

I haven't bothered keeping an in-depth track across the NBA as I typically do lately, so I have no idea what teams could absorb his salary.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:28 AM   #743
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:

Exactly. Lol at him giving a list of “preferred destinations”. I don’t think any team is dumb enough to trade for him with at least a couple lightly to moderately protected 1st round picks coming back. And Houston doesn’t have those. Cleveland has two young guards. The Knicks have a real front office presumably in place. Atlanta GM is smarter than that. Troy Weaver is running Detroit now. MJ? Orlando?
Old 11-12-2020, 04:08 AM   #744
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Fun fact. My girlfriend- who does not watch basketball at all- hates, and I mean absolutely HATES James Harden. I was explaining to her why Harden is the most polarizing and generally disliked player of the modern era- mostly the flopping and foul-baiting, but also the fact that his game is just hard to watch and not fun, his playoff failures and fact that it seems like he has trouble playing with other stars because the entire offense has to go through him all the time, and of course his legendary enthusiasm for strip clubs. I then showed her a youtube montage of Harden flopping so she'd see what I was talking about.

And ever since then, she has hated Harden with a fiery passion. I'll seriously be watching a game or a youtube clip and if she hears Harden's name she'll just yell "F*CK THAT GUY!!!" I've tried explaining to her that almost all players, including and especially our Luka Doncic, flop and goad the referees to get free throws, but she doesn't care. She just hates James Harden now and forever.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:26 AM   #745
ExRocketNewMav

Quote:
Fun fact. My girlfriend- who does not watch basketball at all- hates, and I mean absolutely HATES James Harden. I was explaining to her why Harden is the most polarizing and generally disliked player of the modern era- mostly the flopping and foul-baiting, but also the fact that his game is just hard to watch and not fun, his playoff failures and fact that it seems like he has trouble playing with other stars because the entire offense has to go through him all the time, and of course his legendary enthusiasm for strip clubs. I then showed her a youtube montage of Harden flopping so she'd see what I was talking about.

And ever since then, she has hated Harden with a fiery passion. I'll seriously be watching a game or a youtube clip and if she hears Harden's name she'll just yell "F*CK THAT GUY!!!" I've tried explaining to her that almost all players, including and especially our Luka Doncic, flop and goad the referees to get free throws, but she doesn't care. She just hates James Harden now and forever.
Media narrative does that to people.

'playoff failures'

If you're holding these standards to Harden constantly losing to the greatest basketball team ever assembled, then I shudder to think what your feelings are towards the vast majority of the league who called a quits on trying for a few years while the Warriors dynasty worked it's way through the record books.

Your girlfriend sounds like she needs a dose of reality.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:39 AM   #746
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Media narrative does that to people.

'playoff failures'

If you're holding these standards to Harden constantly losing to the greatest basketball team ever assembled, then I shudder to think what your feelings are towards the vast majority of the league who called a quits on trying for a few years while the Warriors dynasty worked it's way through the record books.
First of all, dude, it's not "media narrative." It's MY opinion based on having watched the man's entire career, and it's accurate. His reputation is earned. This goes all the way back to his days in OKC (where he was absolutely horrible in his only finals appearance to date) and extends well beyond playing against the mighty Warriors. If you want to parce through every playoff performance, we can, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think there's at least some truth to his reputation for coming up short in big games.

Quote:
Your girlfriend sounds like she needs a dose of reality.
Maybe you need a dose of chill the f*ck out. It was a silly, light-hearted anecdote.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:47 AM   #747
ExRocketNewMav

Quote:
First of all, dude, it's not "media narrative." It's MY opinion based on having watched the man's entire career, and it's accurate. His reputation is earned. This goes all the way back to his days in OKC (where he was absolutely horrible in his only finals appearance to date) and extends well beyond playing against the mighty Warriors. If you want to parce through every playoff performance, we can, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think there's at least some truth to his reputation for coming up short in big games.

Maybe you need a dose of chill the f*ck out. It was a silly, light-hearted anecdote.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-12-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:53 AM   #748
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
LMAO, wow, buddy. You're a real fucking class act. And a whiny little bitch too. You went from eager new member of the board to full blown troll at a single (very true) criticism of a basketball player you like.

Have nice night, douche nozzle.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-12-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:57 AM   #749
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI
Old 11-12-2020, 05:07 AM   #750
ExRocketNewMav

[QUOTE=Thespiralgoeson;1480986]LMAO, wow, buddy. You're a real fucking class act. And a whiny little bitch too. You went from eager new member of the board to full blown troll at a single (very true) criticism of a basketball player you like.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-12-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:10 AM   #751
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Fuck off to clutchfans

-seconded by EL

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-12-2020 at 01:36 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:11 AM   #752
KillerLeft

Old 11-12-2020, 09:16 AM   #753
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
Yeah

I was following along and enjoying the read and then BOOM!
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:33 AM   #754
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Please don't make personal insults against other posters-- even Rockets fans.

That said, D-M.com isn't Xbox Live in the early 2000s. Being lewd like that will not be tolerated and has earned ExRocket a ban.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:08 AM   #755
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

It was just a matter of time. Rockets fans still somehow don't get that Harden is the most hated player in the NBA. No matter how cordial they can be, it'll always clash at that very fact.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:31 PM   #756
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Damn I missed the spiciness.

Spiral, I bet your girlfriend is lovely.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:25 PM   #757
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Please don't make personal insults against other posters-- even Rockets fans.

That said, D-M.com isn't Xbox Live in the early 2000s. Being lewd like that will not be tolerated and has earned ExRocket a ban.
Oh there was nothing personal about it. Just stating a fact. Thank you for being a good mod though.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:11 AM   #758
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Guys you should really lay off Harden. I mean it wasn't his fault they missed so many 3's vs golden state, that's what all the Houston fans have been telling the world. Those 4 guys should have absolutely felt grateful that Harden would willingly dribble out the shot clock possession after possession without any semblance of sharing the ball or running a play that isn't an iso. It's also not his fault that he tanked so hard against the Spurs years ago. He had like a concussion or something. It's not his fault that he plays better in the regular season vs the playoffs year after year after year- it's only media narrative... don't like go look up his numbers on bbref or anything it's clearly just media narrative. It's definitely a media narrative how fans don't like watching a guy who shoots 2-11 in a playoff game but shoots 16-20 from ft line to salvage a 21pt game. That sounds super entertaining. We should marvel at his ft routine or something.

Also ignore the trashcan banging at the Astros games- there is nothing weird about that at all.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:14 AM   #759
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Guys you should really lay off Harden. I mean it wasn't his fault they missed so many 3's vs golden state, that's what all the Houston fans have been telling the world. Those 4 guys should have absolutely felt grateful that Harden would willingly dribble out the shot clock possession after possession without any semblance of sharing the ball or running a play that isn't an iso. It's also not his fault that he tanked so hard against the Spurs years ago. He had like a concussion or something. It's not his fault that he plays better in the regular season vs the playoffs year after year after year- it's only media narrative... don't like go look up his numbers on bbref or anything it's clearly just media narrative. It's definitely a media narrative how fans don't like watching a guy who shoots 2-11 in a playoff game but shoots 16-20 from ft line to salvage a 21pt game. That sounds super entertaining. We should marvel at his ft routine or something.

Also ignore the trashcan banging at the Astros games- there is nothing weird about that at all.
+rep
Old 11-13-2020, 09:22 AM   #760
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Bryan_Wilson again.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote