Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 07-21-2004, 02:59 AM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Napolean Dynomite?

What is that movie? It came out of nowhere and I can't tell if it is trash or if it's a decent movie. Anyone seen it? Anyone have an inside scoop?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2004, 06:41 AM   #2
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE: Napolean Dynomite?

I have not seen it but the reviews are not great.

link
Old 07-21-2004, 06:50 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Napolean Dynomite?

Actually, the majority of the reviews that I can find have been favorable. For a more comprehensive look, check here at Rottentomatoes.com. The Movie has received favorable critical reviews from 75 of the 108 critics.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:03 AM   #4
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

I rented it this weekend. Genius. Pure genius. I watched it two nights ago and haven't stopped laughing.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:53 AM   #5
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

i sat down to watch it, going in hoping to not like it since everyone is going crazy for it. i couldn't dislike it though - hilarious! it's one of those movies you find yourself quoting days later.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 09:02 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a very good movie.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:14 AM   #7
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

it's a liger...only the most powerful animal ever.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:57 AM   #8
mmmfast

mmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to all

Saw it months ago on a last minute date and we've both been laughing about it since.

Laughed so hard it made "my lips really hurt" :-)
Old 01-10-2005, 12:37 PM   #9
XERXES
Diamond Member

"If you say yes there's more where this came from."

"It's probably the best drawing I've ever done. I spent an extra 30 minutes shading your upper lip."

"Napolean you're just jealous cause you don't spend 2 hours a day chatting with hot babes online."
Old 01-10-2005, 01:08 PM   #10
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

"Why are you drinking 1%? Is it because you think you're fat? Because you don't have to...you could be drinking whole milk."
It is a REALLY funny movie. I think its love it or hate it, but the majority of people love it. Its a different kind of comedy than most people are used to. I've seen it about 6 times....
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:15 PM   #11
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

Erica, where in the world were you a few months ago when this movie was EVERYWHERE? It's a great movie, love it!
Old 01-10-2005, 02:33 PM   #12
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Don: "Do you wanna die, Napoleon?"
Napoleon: "Yeah right. Who's the only one here who knows the illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pedro: " Do you think people will vote for me? "
Napoleon: " Heck yes! I'd vote for you. "
Pedro: " Like what are my skills? "
Napoleon: " Well, you have a sweet bike. And you're really good at hooking up with chicks. Plus you're like the only guy at school who has a mustache. "
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deb: " I'm trying to earn money for college. "
Kip: [from the background] " Your mom goes to college. "
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deb: " What are you drawing? "
Napoleon: " A liger. "
Deb: " What's a liger? "
Napoleon: " It's pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed... bred for its skills in magic.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kip: "I'm just really trying to raise a few bucks now so I can bring her out for a few days. "
Uncle Rico: " Yeah, well what does she look like? "
Kip: " She's uh... she's got sandy blonde hair, pretty good looking face, but I'm just getting really... just kinda TO'd because... I mean she hasn't even sent me a full body shot yet.
Teacher: " Your current event, Napoleon. "
Napoleon: " Last week, Japanese scientists placed explosive detonators at the bottom of Lake Loch Ness to blow Nessie out of the water. Sir Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake and its local residents and all those who seek for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally. "
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:44 PM   #13
TheBaron

TheBaron is on a distinguished road

I'm always like 6 months late on seeing movies, and just saw this one. Genious. Abolsolute genious.

Oh boy!
TheBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:47 PM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I havent seen it yet!!!! Darn you all!
Old 01-10-2005, 03:22 PM   #15
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

I rented it, watched it 3 times, and bought it. Jared Hess is a genius, and this movie is absolutely hilarious.

No! Get your own tots!
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:59 PM   #16
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsman55
I rented it, watched it 3 times, and bought it. Jared Hess is a genius, and this movie is absolutely hilarious.

No! Get your own tots!
Hey Napolean - Give me some of your tots!
Old 01-10-2005, 04:42 PM   #17
mmmfast

mmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to all

"It took me 3 hours to get the shading right on your upper lip." - classic
Old 01-10-2005, 09:16 PM   #18
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Napoleon (to Pedro): "There's a lot of gangs at this school. They all keep wanting me to join 'cause I'm good with a bow staff."
Old 01-10-2005, 10:45 PM   #19
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Hey Don, can I see one of those pins? (Don give Napoleon a pin, Napoleon throws it as hard as he can in the other direction, stares down Don for about 2 or 3 seconds, and runs away).
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:53 PM   #20
XERXES
Diamond Member

What do you want to be that I can throw a football a quarter of a mile?
Old 01-10-2005, 11:46 PM   #21
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Kip's cardboard sign: LaFawnDuh

Old 01-10-2005, 11:55 PM   #22
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

I myself just heard of this movie about two days ago. Where on earth was I when this was a big deal?? When did it come out?

I really need to see it. Sounds awesome!
Old 01-11-2005, 12:49 PM   #23
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

its like a very good, very clean, very long SNL skit (before SNL sucked).

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 01:36 PM   #24
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

My friend told me it was just as good as Fastimes.

He was wrong.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 01:56 PM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: mary
My friend told me it was just as good as Fastimes.

He was wrong.
Much better than Fast times.....Fast times is one of the more overrated movies in the history of movies.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:08 PM   #26
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

It is an unassuming movie that doesn't seek to go higher than its humor.

I thought it was quite humorous and as a non-member of the high school upper-crust, found most of the jokes amusing in their familiarity.

It's reminiscent of Fast Times in that it exagerrates the realities of high schoolers for comedic effect. Don't believe the hype, but just enjoy a funny movie.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:16 PM   #27
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

one thing is for sure, the dance scene at the end is funny as all get out!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 01-11-2005, 03:23 PM   #28
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
one thing is for sure, the dance scene at the end is funny as all get out!
remind you of the prom? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2005, 03:35 PM   #29
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
It is an unassuming movie that doesn't seek to go higher than its humor.

I thought it was quite humorous and as a non-member of the high school upper-crust, found most of the jokes amusing in their familiarity.

It's reminiscent of Fast Times in that it exagerrates the realities of high schoolers for comedic effect. Don't believe the hype, but just enjoy a funny movie.
Don't believe the hype? You're underselling the movie.

I caution anyone against believing Kingrex' underselling of the movie.

Don't do it...just don't do it.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:36 PM   #30
sike
The Preacha

it reminded me of yo mama's prom!

i dont even know what that means.......

back on topic: funny flick, but perhaps a bit overhyped right now(though greatness). It flet like a collection of bits and humorous situations to me and not a solid, flowing story(only real criticism) ...geniously funny characters perfectly cast and acted.

The subtly of this movie’s humor is so nice...its rarely attempted, but we need more of it. One can only take so much of fart gags and poo humor

Old 01-11-2005, 03:38 PM   #31
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the credits were creative.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 01-11-2005, 03:42 PM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
it reminded me of yo mama's prom!

i dont even know what that means.......

back on topic: funny flick, but perhaps a bit overhyped right now(though greatness). It flet like a collection of bits and humorous situations to me and not a solid, flowing story(only real criticism) ...geniously funny characters perfectly cast and acted.

The subtly of this movie’s humor is so nice...its rarely attempted, but we need more of it. One can only take so much of fart gags and poo humor
nope...you're wrong...not overhyped.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:44 PM   #33
mary
Troll Hunter

I thought the case it came in was cute.

And the DVD itself was really shiny....

Old 01-11-2005, 03:59 PM   #34
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: mary
I thought the credits were creative.
The choice of using keyboards for all the music in the movie was very creative also.

And like Sike said, they couldnt have cast better. Everybody in this film plays their character perfectly, especially Napoleon and Uncle Rico.

Napoleon: " What is there to eat? "
Grandma: " Knock it off Napoleon, just make yourself a dang quesa-dilluh! "
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:30 PM   #35
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

HAHA! I saw it last night. Rented it with the complete first season of Monk, and I just watched Napoleon twice. Genius.

Napoleon: stay home and eat all the frickin' chips, kip!
Kip: Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
Napoleon Dynamite: Since when, Kip? You have the worst reflexes of all time.
Kip: Try and hit me, Napoleon.
Napoleon Dynamite: What?
Kip: I said come down here and see what happens if you try and hit me.

and

Don: Hey, Napoleon. What did you do last summer again?
Napoleon Dynamite: I told you! I spent it with my uncle in Alaska hunting wolverines!
Don: Did you shoot any?
Napoleon Dynamite: Yes, like 50 of 'em! They kept trying to attack my cousins, what the heck would you do in a situation like that?
Don: What kind of gun did you use?
Napoleon Dynamite: A freakin' 12-gauge, what do you think?

Deb: And here we have some boondoggle key chains. A must-have for this season's fashion.
Napoleon Dynamite: I already made like infinity of those at scout camp.

Napoleon Dynamite to Deb: Well, I have all your equipment in my locker. You should probably come get it cause I can't fit my nunchucks in there anymore.

Napoleon Dynamite: Do the chickens have large talons?

Napoleon Dynamite: Well, will you do me a favor then? Can you bring me my chapstick?
Kip: No, Napoleon.
Napoleon Dynamite: But my lips hurt real bad!
Kip: Just borrow some from the school nurse. I know she has like five sticks in her drawer.
Napoleon Dynamite: I'm not gonna use hers, you sicko!

Napoleon: Hello? (on phone)
Girl: Is Napoleon there?
Napoleon: Yes!
Girl: Can I talk to him?
Napoleon: You already are!

Genius
Old 01-12-2005, 01:58 PM   #36
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

"Are you gonna eat your tots?"

I only watched 20 minutes of it last night, because it was late... but what I saw had me in stiches.

That "fight" between Kip and Napoleon was too much. I woke up my son.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:52 PM   #37
XERXES
Diamond Member

I watched it again last night and this quote made me laugh uncontrollably:

Quote:
Napoleon Dynamite: Do the chickens have large talons?
I don't know why- but I could not stop laughing when he asked the farmer that...then to see the look on his face after he takes a swig of raw eggs...

pure genius.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:54 PM   #38
mary
Troll Hunter

I thought the humor was very David Letterman-esque.

Old 01-14-2005, 02:40 AM   #39
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

character driven, and pauses for the moment to sink in, yes.

Could be why some people liked it and some didnt. I'm a Letterman buff and I loved Dynamite.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:02 AM   #40
Murphy3
Guru

Not remotely a fan of Letterman and I loved ND.