Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 02-05-2004, 08:35 PM   #1
NastyNash13

NastyNash13 is on a distinguished road
Default Mavs could use a first round pick

Right now, the mavericks dont have a first round pick. They've got two second round picks but your lucky to get anything good in the second round besides the occasional carlos boozer or gilbert arenas. So what the mavs need to do is trade that freak from iceland, jon steffanson, and get themselves a first round pick so they can grab themselves another rookie wonder like josh howard.
NastyNash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2004, 09:05 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Mavs could use a first round pick

And why would anybody trade us a first round pick for Jon, pray tell?
Old 02-05-2004, 09:14 PM   #3
Big_Dog

Big_Dog will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Mavs could use a first round pick

and why in hell do you consider jon a freak??
Old 02-05-2004, 09:44 PM   #4
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

Stefansson isnt worth a 2nd on the trade market, much less a 1st..

Furthermore, Mavs only have a single pick this yr in Rd 2
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:11 PM   #5
NastyNash13

I've never seen Jon play, but i mean have you seen the man, because i hope that not everyone in iceland looks like that. and the reason ive never seen him play is because he blows and the only reason hes on the roster is because cuban has a soft spot for foreigners. Nobody would probably take steffanson for a first rounder, i was just saying that we need one and he looks goofy.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:54 PM   #6
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: NastyNash13
I've never seen Jon play, but i mean have you seen the man, because i hope that not everyone in iceland looks like that. and the reason ive never seen him play is because he blows and the only reason hes on the roster is because cuban has a soft spot for foreigners. Nobody would probably take steffanson for a first rounder, i was just saying that we need one and he looks goofy.
Man how uneducated can u get...if he really blew he wouldnt have gotten a 4 year deal...ever think about that one. Also lets think...in front of him there is...2 all stars in Nash and Fin...2 veteran pgs(delk and best) and 2 up and coming sgs in Howard and Daniels...there isnt room for him to play
Old 02-05-2004, 11:20 PM   #7
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

"...if he really blew he wouldnt have gotten a 4 year deal..."

Ummmmm I think someone has given you a totally wrong perspective on his contract. And for what its worth, its actually a 5 year deal - but that added info will give you an even more wrongly skewed impression, no doubt.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:41 AM   #8
NastyNash13

Steffanson isnt that great jamisonite, ok your right in that theres no room for him to play but tony delk is hurt but they still didnt activate him and as for marquis daniels he looks pretty good to me but if jon staffenson is so good and can get a huge four year contract you'd think they'd let him play over an undrafted rookie. Jon is just as bad as evan eschmeyer or wang zhi zhi, except those guys actually got some playing time
Old 02-06-2004, 02:03 AM   #9
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Jamisonite
if he really blew he wouldnt have gotten a 4 year deal...ever think about that one.
Lets think about the fact that the deal is NOT guaranteed. The Mavs can cut him at any time and not owe for the additional years on the contract.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 02:38 AM   #10
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Steffanson represents nothing to the Mavs but potential, but if Donnie saw enough in him to tender him that long term, unguaranteed contract I will trust that he was worth the (almost completely inconsequential) risk of giving him our 15th roster spot.

I'll certainly be interested to see how he does in the Summer league, and I can't help but imagine that whatever basketball potential he posseses will have been well served by playing against the likes of Fin, Howard, Tawn, and Daniels in practice this year. But that doesn't mean that he could net us a draft pick in trade, after essentially showing nobody but the Mavs coaching staff just what kind of basketball player he is, and might someday become...

Old 02-06-2004, 05:58 AM   #11
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

It is a 5 year contract, nothing is guaranteed, Mavs have a team option every year to terminate the contract if they wish, and every year is at the minimum. It is without a doubt the WORST contract that any NBA player has, period. The Mavs have him tied up for a long long time, even if he gets good. And if he sucks, out he goes, and they replace him. It is a development deal, and nothing more, just a long shot.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:46 AM   #12
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Well, that said, a first rounder next year might actually be rather wasted, since we won´t be able to acquire a high one and this draft is considered a rather weak one iirc.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:36 AM   #13
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

If the Mavs want a 1st rounder this year they will probably be able to BUY one because the draft is so weak and the teams at the end of the 1st round will not want to give a 3 year guaranteed contract to borderline players.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:24 PM   #14
Big_Dog

Big_Dog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: NastyNash13
let me get this straight, you´ve never seen him play, but you still think he sucks, and you´re basing that on how he looks?

you cant be much older than fourteen