Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 11-05-2008, 04:57 PM   #441
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan View Post
It's not. People have a hard time getting their heads around it. This would've been a better point to make when there wasn't a black dude to vote for.

My point is that people might be voting for a guy or a party because of the color of THEIR skin, not the candidates' skin. And that the reason may be because they're being courted as a monolithic voting bloc because of the color of their skin. And I see that as falling for a trick, working for the man, whatever you want to call it. I just want to know why blacks go 92% for one party - doesn't matter which party - I want to know the reasoning of the 92% of those individuals and how they all manage to align with a single party.

And Silk, I'm not race baiting, I'm asking a legitimate question. I've been taught not to categorize people based on their skin color. Politically, we are categorizing all black voters into one bloc based on their skin color.

I'm sorry if it blows your mind that I'm thinking outside the box.
Sorry, but you are NOT thinking outside the box. You are INSIDE the box. I gave you your answer but you REFUSED to accept the answer from an African American.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #442
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
Mary Landrieu from LA and whatshisface from Nebraska are two conservative Democratic senators. A lot of the state governments in the South are controlled by Conservative Democrats.
I realize that there are conservative Democrats. Heck my father claims to be one.

They are just hard to find anymore, when in the 50's they were somewhat prevalent.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #443
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
How much more "divided" is the country today than 2000 or 2004?

Also, even though the options are binary, it does not mean everything is in contrast. It's not like one can split their vote. For many people (millions), their vote came down to a single issue or took until the last day before making a final call on things.
Hmm... Neocons, Bush, Chains, Big Oil, Rethuglicans...

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #444
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov View Post
Sorry, but you are NOT thinking outside the box. You are INSIDE the box.
Oh noes!!!!!!!!!

Is this ghost ball??
Old 11-05-2008, 05:10 PM   #445
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
I realize that there are conservative Democrats. Heck my father claims to be one.

They are just hard to find anymore, when in the 50's they were somewhat prevalent.
Well, it's the same way with Liberal Republicans. There are no Nelson Rockefellers or, my favorite, Alf Landons, in the Republican party anymore. Part of it started in 1964 when a lot of the ultra-conservatives left the Democrats because of civil rights and in turn the liberals all left the Republicans, but even then, Nixon was a moderate, almost liberal, despite his evil. A lot of conservatives then left the Democrats in the 70's. 1980, I think, sealed the ideological separation between the parties.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:10 PM   #446
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
Silk, seriously, you need to LET IT GO. I voted for Obama. But i don't believe ANYONE can deny that there were a large number of african-americans that registered to vote for the first time simply because another african-american was running for president.

Yes, this election was about more than race. But to act like race was not a part of it AT ALL is INCREDIBLY naive.
Please, dont give me that speech about blacks voting for blacks. Did not one of you say anything about the other 40 something other white presidents that African Americans voted for. So, YOU need to let it go. I or no other African American OWE you or any other person a reason for who we voted for.

Go talk to the Dixie South people and find out why they vote for Republicans. Go find that answer. As of matter of fact go see why 100% of the time for over 40 yearsVirginia voted for an Republican. Go find out why 90% of the time Georgia, Texas, Ok, Kansas, Miss, KY, and Ala voted for an Republican candidate. Go find that answer. Seriously!!!!

Go find out why. I will await your answer. I see you have now twisted your mind on this issue after Obama was elected. You had no problem with African Americans voting for white Presidents 98% of the time or even 90% of African Americans voting for Democrats in the past. That data has ALWAYS been there. It has NOTHING to do with RACE, so for ANY of you who make it into RACE sound silly as hell. So, you get it over it..You claim to have supported Obama, so African Americans supported Obama for the exact same reason as yourself.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #447
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Rep to mcsluggo.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #448
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

You folks are proving my point to abolish the party system.

The majority of elected officials on the National level vote on legislation based on party affiliation and for the most part, the Republican Party fits closer to my values.

I am certain that there are boneheads in the Republican party, but I know for the most part those boneheads will vote more in favor of what I want than the Democrats.

I am certain that there are quality folks in the Democratic party, who if they were not tied to the Democratic party could vote along the same side of the issues that I personally stand on, but due to the party system, when push comes to shove, they vote along the side of the Democratic party.

So to answer you question...no I don't vote for any Democrats. I am more likely to vote Republican or Libertarian than I ever would Democrat. At least a Lib/Independant will vote as themselves on issues...believe it or not, I may actually be coming around on someone like Ron Paul, even if I disagree with one key issue...he appears to be a man who doesn't follow a party platform, but rather his own beliefs.

I wont say that I never would vote for a Democrat, give me a Democrat who will stand for the things I believe in and actually vote outside of the Party box, then I would consider them a good candidate...but I would have to see a history of that candidate bucking the party system.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #449
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
oh, i agree, Underdog. I'm not saying Race had everything to do with it. But anytime someone mentions race, silk swoops in with a race-baiting accusation as if race had no bearing on this election whatsoever, and to even suggest it makes you David Duke.
See, I am not understanding any of your logic right now. You claimed to support Obama, then suggest I race bait when I think that someone is being racist or suggest that racist people will not vote for Obama because he is black? So, I guess you were saying back then that race played no part in the pre-election? But after the election, race played a part? See how that does not make sense?

To better NOT understand you, you claim it is very valid to suggest that blacks voted because Obama was black? Is that race bait? Or is is according to who is saying it? I just dont get it.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #450
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
So to answer you question...no I don't vote for any Democrats. I am more likely to vote Republican or Libertarian than I ever would Democrat. At least a Lib/Independant will vote as themselves on issues...believe it or not, I may actually be coming around on someone like Ron Paul, even if I disagree with one key issue...he appears to be a man who doesn't follow a party platform, but rather his own beliefs.
Do you not remember saying that Ron Paul is nothing but a Democrat in sheep's clothing, like, three months ago?

Last edited by Kirobaito; 11-05-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:30 PM   #451
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
The simple answer why is that Republicans don't make much of an effort at all to win over their vote (which is what it is because of long history). Why do Republicans not do much to win the black vote?

But it's a moot point anyway. If blacks still didn't have the legal right to vote, Obama still would have won. So why is this conversation going on?
I told this guy the exact same thing and told him that African Americans vote for the most part according to issues closest to them. Now all of a sudden you have posters making it into a race issue because blacks voted for a democrat black candidate. Go figure. Oh, then they claim they are NOT race baiting...Now, watch them twist it into an innocent question about why blacks dont vote for Republicans.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #452
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you not remember saying that Ron Paul is nothing but a Democrat in sheep's clothing, like, three months ago?
For shame. Ron Paul is an actual conservative, moreso than almost anybody alive. Sure, argue with him about Iraq all you want - I recognize most here who are conservative would disagree - but by the book, Paul is astoundingly conservative.

This all just makes me so freakin' tired. I wish I had brought up the 90% black Democrat thing when they went 90% for Kerry. Maybe I did, can someone search the archive? Silk, wanna do that for me?

Anything to get you guys to realize that I'm just wondering why a whole ethnic group is so lock stock and barrel for one party when we're 40 years removed from Civil Rights legislation. This has nothing to do with Barack specifically

So far only Underdog and mcsluggo have been able to give any sort of discussion point on this. And it still begs the question why we assume people who aren't white can be approached as a monolithic voting block. Why do we assume that if you're not white, you're just a part of one of the non-white herds? That was my whole question.

My final statement is that I think it is unfortunate for all Americans that some Americans let themselves get herded around as political sheep based on their skin color..
Old 11-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #453
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I don't disagree, but we're also talking about people descended from slaves - it's not like they got to bring their culture with them... They've been trying to flesh-out an identity for the last 150 years, so it's not surprising that they've latched onto something familiar...

But Obama opens the door wide open for African-Americans - they're going to create their OWN political identity going forward and I have no doubt the political landscape will change as a result... As there becomes less difference between how blacks and whites are treated in this country, then there will become less difference in how we vote...

It will take time - maybe another generation or two, but it will happen... We're all one people, we just don't realize it yet (but we're catching on...)

You know what, it will happen very soon if the Republican party work for minority votes. You cant get African American votes just by coming to the NAACP convention and speaking and saying that "You know you wont get the black votes, but you are here anyway".
You have to say "You are here to EARN their vote, and thats why you are here". The EXACT same thing that Obama said at his speech last night. He talked directly to those who he felt he has NOT earned their vote YET. Which means he will be working hard to EARN their vote.. And you know what? I believe him, and I believe he will EARN the vote from most of them very soon. IMO...
Old 11-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #454
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Did you not read that I said..."I may be coming around on a guy like Ron Paul" - I have the ability to change my mind with further research. Back then all I knew about Ron Paul was his stance as Anti-War, which did NOT set well with me and essentially anything else he stated never registered.

As I have gone and seeked out some information and obtained some quality information from this board, I am getting educated on the merits of Ron Paul...but I am not completely there, but I can respect the man who stands up for his beliefs regardless of what those within a party say about him.

In other words, perhaps I should say, I was Wrong about Ron Paul...now I am looking to learn more about the guy...he is rather interesting.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #455
92bDad
Platinum Member

Quote:
You know what, it will happen very soon if the Republican party work for minority votes. You cant get African American votes just by coming to the NAACP convention and speaking and saying that "You know you wont get the black votes, but you are here anyway".
You have to say "You are here to EARN their vote, and thats why you are here". The EXACT same thing that Obama said at his speech last night. He talked directly to those who he felt he has NOT earned their vote YET. Which means he will be working hard to EARN their vote.. And you know what? I believe him, and I believe he will EARN the vote from most of them very soon. IMO...

Okay so what does a Republican have to do to EARN your vote?

I have at least listed what Obama has to do to earn my vote and I remained on the positions.

So where do you stand on the issues and what do you want your elected officials to do regarding those issues?
Old 11-05-2008, 05:48 PM   #456
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
<snip>
Silk, I honestly hope that you are correct here.
I honestly hope that Obama earns my vote in the next election.
To earn it, he will have to be a great Commander in Chief. I could care less about the economy issues he can't really control. I could care less about many of the issues that he ran on, but really can't control. I do care about the sovereignty of the United States, and the health and well being of Americans/all people.

Of course, to be a strong Military man who defends the US.... he will have to keep funding the military, keep the US in Iraq until the Iran issue is resolved. He will have to grow a pair with Russia, and North Korean and keep my South Korean friends safe as well. He will have to stand behind Israel, while shaping a peaceful solution with the Palestinians/Hamas that doesn't give up Israels lands.

And he will have to keep funding the CIA, Homeland group, FBI or whatever it takes to keep Americans on the mainland here safe.

If he can do this, then I will vote for him. Oh yea, he also needs to keep the unborn safe as well.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 11-05-2008, 05:50 PM   #457
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
For shame. Ron Paul is an actual conservative, moreso than almost anybody alive. Sure, argue with him about Iraq all you want - I recognize most here who are conservative would disagree - but by the book, Paul is astoundingly conservative.

This all just makes me so freakin' tired. I wish I had brought up the 90% black Democrat thing when they went 90% for Kerry. Maybe I did, can someone search the archive? Silk, wanna do that for me?

Anything to get you guys to realize that I'm just wondering why a whole ethnic group is so lock stock and barrel for one party when we're 40 years removed from Civil Rights legislation. This has nothing to do with Barack specifically

So far only Underdog and mcsluggo have been able to give any sort of discussion point on this. And it still begs the question why we assume people who aren't white can be approached as a monolithic voting block. Why do we assume that if you're not white, you're just a part of one of the non-white herds? That was my whole question.

My final statement is that I think it is unfortunate for all Americans that some Americans let themselves get herded around as political sheep based on their skin color..
See, once again you refuse to see where you were wrong. Now, you want to play innocent to seem like you just want to know why blacks vote for Democrats.

I gave you the correct answer b4 anyone else: http://dallas-mavs.com/vb/showpost.p...&postcount=369 . You just refused to accept it and ignored it. Now look at your post above calling blacks political sheeps.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #458
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Quote:
See, once again you refuse to see where you were wrong. Now, you want to play innocent to seem like you just want to know why blacks vote for Democrats.

I gave you the correct answer b4 anyone else: http://dallas-mavs.com/vb/showpost.p...&postcount=369 . You just refused to accept it and ignored it. Now look at your post above calling blacks political sheeps.
Your answer was, "Blacks did not vote for Obama just because he is Black." I agree. But that wasn't the answer to the question I posed.

Your problem, again, is reading comprehension. You read what you want to hear, instead of what people are saying.

White evangelicals are political sheep, too. But I can sit here and tell you exactly what the Republican establishment does to bait them into it - mcsluggo touched on it quite well a few posts down.

The point I'm making is no one is willing to dive into that relating to Democrats and the black vote, in much the same way it is well documented and patently obvious related to Republicans and the white evangelical vote.

Last edited by Rhylan; 11-05-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #459
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Silk, I honestly hope that you are correct here.
I honestly hope that Obama earns my vote in the next election.
To earn it, he will have to be a great Commander in Chief. I could care less about the economy issues he can't really control. I could care less about many of the issues that he ran on, but really can't control. I do care about the sovereignty of the United States, and the health and well being of Americans/all people.

Of course, to be a strong Military man who defends the US.... he will have to keep funding the military, keep the US in Iraq until the Iran issue is resolved. He will have to grow a pair with Russia, and North Korean and keep my South Korean friends safe as well. He will have to stand behind Israel, while shaping a peaceful solution with the Palestinians/Hamas that doesn't give up Israels lands.

And he will have to keep funding the CIA, Homeland group, FBI or whatever it takes to keep Americans on the mainland here safe.

If he can do this, then I will vote for him. Oh yea, he also needs to keep the unborn safe as well.
Looks like you will never let a candidate earn your vote, because no matter what OUR troops are coming home, and rightfully so. It has nothing to do with Iran, but they will get home safely in a manner that does not put them in harms way. As for the unborn situation, I believe Obama will help shape the best solution, and I dont think you will like it in the end unless it is your way. IMO

And to make sure of all of this, you can best believe the Senate and House has a say in all of this. Since your Republican party did not earn your vote, then why did you vote for them? Why does Obama have to play Superman to earn your vote, while the Republican Administration just failed at every turn? Come on, be realistic a bit more, give Obama a little room to not do everything your way.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #460
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Your answer was, "Blacks did not vote for Obama just because he is Black." I agree. But that wasn't the answer to the question I posed.

Your problem, again, is reading comprehension. You read what you want to hear, instead of what people are saying.

White evangelicals are political sheep, too. But I can sit here and tell you exactly what the Republican establishment does to bait them into it - mcsluggo touched on it quite well a few posts down.

The point I'm making is no one is willing to dive into that relating to Democrats and the black vote, in much the same way it is well documented and patently obvious related to Republicans and the white evangelical vote.
Your problem is you think you know it all. Speaking of reading comprehension, please tell me once again what my post said? It seems that you want to quote only one sentence. Take your time and read the entire post. Then go back to find out what I was talking about. My ENTIRE post was directed at YOU and OTHERS who claimed that blacks voted for Obama because he was black. You guys made the black vote into a race issue, now you are trying to turn it around to something different.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #461
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Looks like you will never let a candidate earn your vote, because no matter what OUR troops are coming home, and rightfully so. It has nothing to do with Iran, but they will get home safely in a manner that does not put them in harms way. As for the unborn situation, I believe Obama will help shape the best solution, and I dont think you will like it in the end unless it is your way. IMO

And to make sure of all of this, you can best believe the Senate and House has a say in all of this. Since your Republican party did not earn your vote, then why did you vote for them? Why does Obama have to play Superman to earn your vote, while the Republican Administration just failed at every turn? Come on, be realistic a bit more, give Obama a little room to not do everything your way.
If Obama does what he said he will, then Iraq will be run by Iran within months. Iran will push their might against Saudi Arabia and Israel. IMO the most likely scenerio: Nukes will fly, Russia will back Iran, and nukes will be going off on American soil.

You see no relationship with Iraq and Iran -- you are naive on this part of it.

I honestly hope that Obama has more sense than that. He has to resolve the Iran issue before bring the troops out of Iraq -- or expect world ramifications.

I gave him lots of room -- I said I didn't care about the economy, the environmental issues, etc. He can earn it, but he needs to earn it.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #462
92bDad
Platinum Member

Silk,

Are you saying to earn your vote, a Republican must be:

* for Abortion?
* for higher taxes on the wealthy and corporations, thus providing less jobs?
* for smaller military and reduced military funding?
* for cut and run military tactics and a more passive stance on National Defense?

What exactly is it that you want from your elected official?

The more you right, the more I doubt your claimed Republican ties.

Your a funny man who has yet to share views on issues and how those you elected will support those issues.

We are willing to listen and waiting on your reply.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #463
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Quote:
Your problem is you think you know it all. Speaking of reading comprehension, please tell me once again what my post said? It seems that you want to quote only one sentence. Take your time and read the entire post. Then go back to find out what I was talking about. My ENTIRE post was directed at YOU and OTHERS who claimed that blacks voted for Obama because he was black. You guys made the black vote into a race issue, now you are trying to turn it around to something different.
You're the one with selective quoting disease. I've made a ton of posts in this thread and you can't read anything but one sentence of it all, no matter how many ways I phrase something. At 11:35 PM I started talking about this.. at 11:39 PM I made ONE comment saying that it WAS a valid question to ask what portion of black voters, exceeding the average popular vote for Obama, may have voted for Obama because he was black. Then ten minutes later, at 11:49 PM, I went right back to what I've been talking about all along.

In fact, I didn't even state my own opinion, I just acknowledged - in the context of the posts around it - that it was a valid question. But not one that I posed first - other people did. And I repeatedly gave my opinion in later posts, that Obama's blackness was less a factor than tons of other things.

The overwhelming commitment to the Democratic party by black folks was the question that I posed, and have been posing, and that you don't want to answer because you might actually have to think, and debate about someone. It's far easier for you to continue whining about people being racist. It all fits your preconceived notion of race in this country.

Of all the people on this thread, I am one of the people least concerned with Barack Obama's ethnicity.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:25 PM   #464
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
You're the one with selective quoting disease. I've made a ton of posts in this thread and you can't read anything but one sentence of it all, no matter how many ways I phrase something. At 11:35 PM I started talking about this.. at 11:39 PM I made ONE comment saying that it WAS a valid question to ask what portion of black voters, exceeding the average popular vote for Obama, may have voted for Obama because he was black. Then ten minutes later, at 11:49 PM, I went right back to what I've been talking about all along.

In fact, I didn't even state my own opinion, I just acknowledged - in the context of the posts around it - that it was a valid question. But not one that I posed first - other people did. And I repeatedly gave my opinion in later posts, that Obama's blackness was less a factor than tons of other things.

The overwhelming commitment to the Democratic party by black folks was the question that I posed, and have been posing, and that you don't want to answer because you might actually have to think, and debate about someone. It's far easier for you to continue whining about people being racist. It all fits your preconceived notion of race in this country.

Of all the people on this thread, I am one of the people least concerned with Barack Obama's ethnicity.
Sorry wont play your game. You as well as others posed the statement about blacks voting for Obama because of race. Simple as that. My post was NOT directed directly at you. It was directed at ALL those who said race was the issue with blacks voting for Obama. Once again, you are the one who refuse to use common sense. I cant debate you, because you dont know how to react when someone like me engages your viewpoints.

ONLY people whining about people being racist is you and your friends talking about the black votes. I have said nothing....Go ahead and debate that. You cant even admit that you broke the rules that your fellow moderator set on this thread. The rules of this thread was simple, but look at it now. WHO hi-jacked the thread???????
Old 11-05-2008, 06:29 PM   #465
92bDad
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sorry wont play your game. You as well as others posed the statement about blacks voting for Obama because of race. Simple as that. My post was NOT directed directly at you. It was directed at ALL those who said race was the issue with blacks voting for Obama. Once again, you are the one who refuse to use common sense. I cant debate you, because you dont know how to react when someone like me engages your viewpoints.

ONLY people whining about people being racist is you and your friends talking about the black votes. I have said nothing....Go ahead and debate that. You cant even admit that you broke the rules that your fellow moderator set on this thread. The rules of this thread was simple, but look at it now. WHO hi-jacked the thread???????

Silk,

Was race one of a multitude of issues in this race?

Yes or No?
Old 11-05-2008, 06:33 PM   #466
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Quote:
My post was NOT directed directly at you.... I cant debate you, because you dont know how to react when someone like me engages your viewpoints.
So are you engaging my viewpoints, or not posting directly at me? Which is it?

I'm done.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:36 PM   #467
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
If Obama does what he said he will, then Iraq will be run by Iran within months. Iran will push their might against Saudi Arabia and Israel. IMO the most likely scenerio: Nukes will fly, Russia will back Iran, and nukes will be going off on American soil.

You see no relationship with Iraq and Iran -- you are naive on this part of it.

I honestly hope that Obama has more sense than that. He has to resolve the Iran issue before bring the troops out of Iraq -- or expect world ramifications.

I gave him lots of room -- I said I didn't care about the economy, the environmental issues, etc. He can earn it, but he needs to earn it.
I never wish the worst on American just because we pull out of Iraq. We need to get out of Iraq, simple as that. Even your ole McCain said it as well, did you not remember how he backtracked on this issue after talking at first about being there for 100 years. To much hatred from Iran and Iraq to think that Iran would take over Iraq. Russia will do what they do to show the world that they are still a Superpower. That has nothing to do with nukes on American soil. NOTHING. Russia truly needs to show some might, and I truly believe the military generals will have the right response to any foreign threats or word threats. I believe in our military for military response. I believe in Obama as well. I think you are highly underestimating the will and power of Obama. Sit back and relax, the new man in charge has ALOT of fight in him. ALOT!!!!

Last edited by Silk Smoov; 11-05-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #468
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
I never wish the worst on American just because we pull out of Iraq. We need to get out of Iraq, simple as that. Even your ole McCain said it as well, did you not remember how he backtracked on this issue after talking at first about being there for 100 years. To much hatred from Iran and Iraq to think that Iran would take over Iraq. Russia will do what they do to show the world that they are still a Superpower. That has nothing to do with nukes on American soil. NOTHING. Russia truly needs to show some might, and I truly believe the military generals will have the right response to any foreign threats or word threats. I believe in our military for military response. I believe in Obama as well. I think you are highly underestimating the will and power of Obama. Sit back and relax, the new man in charge has ALOT of fight in him. ALOT!!!!
I do not wish anything to happen to the US.

I have a little understanding of Iraq and Iran though. I also did not say that the US shouldn't bring home the troops.

What I said, was that the Iran issue needs to be resolved by the Commander in Chief before that happens. I hope that Obama can do that. I expect it to take some time though. Maybe years.

You talk hatred between Iraq and Iran -- I agree. 60-65% of Iraq is Shiite though, 90% Iran. The Sunni's battled against them -- hence the reason that the US backed Saddam originally. Iran will control Iraq within months by killing the current members in its government and putting in their own.

If they do, they will attack Israel, or Israel will nuke Iran preemptively. Either way, it will happen.

If you believe some interpretations of Ezekiel 38 -- then Iran and Russia have been destined to attack Israel since the beginning of time, and the US will not come in to help (either won't or can't).

Either way -- I keep a watchful eye.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #469
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

it is a very interesting dilemna, the values of the republican party are very much aligned with the values of both black americans and also latino americans....yet they pull very, very few black votes and a low amount of latino votes.

so why doesn't the party of lincoln, the party that opposed the dixiecrat bigots of the south, get the respect?

it comes down to pr. the republicans don't do a very good job of reaching out to black american voters, and the democrats have. this has been the case ever since the civil rights act in 64, and the earler pictures of the kennedy's forcing the governors in the south to back down from the segregation they defended.

there could be a basis of disconnect on pocketbook issues, with the average black and latino household earning less than the average anglo household the republican emphasis on lower taxes on the above average income housholds (read anglo) seems counterproductive in appealing to black and latino households.

on social issues it is amazing that the traditional values emphasized by republicans, and shared by the average black household, don't appeal to the black voters more.

after yesterday's election i can only predict that any chance of a divorce of black voters from the democrats is slim and none...

Last edited by Mavdog; 11-05-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #470
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Please, dont give me that speech about blacks voting for blacks. Did not one of you say anything about the other 40 something other white presidents that African Americans voted for. So, YOU need to let it go. I or no other African American OWE you or any other person a reason for who we voted for.

Go talk to the Dixie South people and find out why they vote for Republicans. Go find that answer. As of matter of fact go see why 100% of the time for over 40 yearsVirginia voted for an Republican. Go find out why 90% of the time Georgia, Texas, Ok, Kansas, Miss, KY, and Ala voted for an Republican candidate. Go find that answer. Seriously!!!!

Go find out why. I will await your answer. I see you have now twisted your mind on this issue after Obama was elected. You had no problem with African Americans voting for white Presidents 98% of the time or even 90% of African Americans voting for Democrats in the past. That data has ALWAYS been there. It has NOTHING to do with RACE, so for ANY of you who make it into RACE sound silly as hell. So, you get it over it..You claim to have supported Obama, so African Americans supported Obama for the exact same reason as yourself.
i really, love how you completely passed over my entire post that speculated that there are numerous rednecks in my home state of tennessee that typically vote republican but also could have had extra incentive to vote AGAINST an african-american.

no one on the message board has said "all african-americans voted for Obama because he was also african-american". You are the ONLY one quoting that statement. Your reading comprehension is atrocious.

My (and others) whole point is that you cannot deny that a percentage (however small) of african-americans REGISTERED FOR THE FIRST TIME and voted for Obama because he shared their skin color. You can even go to the audio clips from the Howard Stern show to see that some people didn't know Obama's positions, and one even thought Sarah Palin was his running mate!!! So hey! That's .000000000001% right there!

On the flip side, there are white people who are equally as ignorant as those quoted in the howard stern clip. Registering and voting republican because Obama is black, and because they don't want the "guvment" telling them what to do.

YOU are the one taking this debate to a level it doesn't need to go to. YOU are the one MANUFACTURING the race-baiting (at least in this thread - the pre-election dude threads are something else).

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 11-05-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #471
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Quote:
My (and others) whole point is that you cannot deny that a percentage (however small) of african-americans REGISTERED FOR THE FIRST TIME and voted for Obama because he shared their skin color. You can even go to the audio clips from the Howard Stern show to see that some people didn't know Obama's positions, and one even thought Sarah Palin was his running mate!!! So hey! That's .000000000001% right there!
FING LOL, Lou Dobbs just interviewed Dikembe Mutombo, and I think Deke said that exactly! Deke is a first time voter. =)

Is this ghost ball??
Old 11-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #472
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Crap...now I have to add Rhylan and Big Boy Lareux to the silk smoov gallery. We can call it the after-the-election edition.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #473
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Silk, seriously, you need to LET IT GO. I voted for Obama. But i don't believe ANYONE can deny that there were a large number of african-americans that registered to vote for the first time simply because another african-american was running for president.

Yes, this election was about more than race. But to act like race was not a part of it AT ALL is INCREDIBLY naive.
Here you go,,,
Old 11-05-2008, 09:28 PM   #474
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
This is truly a Sad day in America.

The election of Obama is also a vote for racism.

Yes it is great to see certain cultures voting for other cultures, but the racism is about one culture only voting for one culture.

We can only Pray that Obama doesn't accomplish half of the ill advised leftist agenda that he has planned.

My apologies folks, this is not about White's being racist, but rather about Blacks being racist. It's truly a sad state and is the complete Nightmare that MLK was worried about, this is not a dream...but again a nightmare.

Duty, Honor, Country have now been destroyed...it is time for Conservatives and Freedom loving Americans to rise up, stand up to the Liberal Tyranny taking place.

My apologies, but I am angry tonight and I have absolutely no trust whatsoever for the Liberal/Socialist taking over our nation. They have a long way to go to gain the trust of myself and the other half of America.

2010, and it's time to rise up with a new Conservative revolution...build the momentum to take back over with the majority in 2012.

Again, I can only Pray that the damage from tonight will be minimized in the coming years!!!
Here you go.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #475
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
ooohhkay, don't you think race had a huge impact on this election? I'm sure it's the opposite... many, many African Americans voted for Obama simply because he's black.. and probably the same except for the white thing with McCain.

I wish the best for Obama. I don't believe he's a good man. I think quite the opposite. I do believe that America will look back and think "what in the hell were we thinking." But, he will be our president, so I hope he proves me wrong. I don't wish for failure of anyone that is put in place to make difficult decisions for our country. Once elected, I wish them nothing but the best. I suppose that's the good part of me not really having a party affiliation.
Here you go.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:32 PM   #476
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
If I were African American, I would be ashamed of what my fellow African Americans have shown me over the past several months.... just as I am a whitey ashamed of what I've seen from many Whitey Americans.

It will always be that way. There will always be a section of society that is ignorant. It won't be specifically one particular race, but mankind on the whole. Face it, there's alot of ignorance out there. Perhaps it will get better. I believe that it has in my life time. But, many people will always find a reason to hate one another. If it's not race with some, they'll find some other reason.
Here you go.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #477
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
No doubt. If it becomes okay for non-white people to make decisions based solely on race, and dwell on race, and in some cases flat out obsess about race, then you're going to get feedback and more race tension from the white side, which took years to undo. Endless cycle. It's the old "two wrongs don't make a right" argument.

Race is not supposed to matter at all. That's what I was taught. But if 13% of the population have nothing in common but race, and should be otherwise as diverse across every dimension as any other ethnicity or 13% slice of people, go in numbers above 90% for a single political party.. you have a problem.

We can't have people in this country identifying with a political party primarily due to the continent of their ancestry, no matter what continent or party it is. That's exactly the type of stuff we've been trying to fix for 200 years.
Here you go..
Old 11-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #478
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Agreed 100%. But I'm pointing out that statistically, race played a very large role in the minds of some individual voters.

If 53% of Americans voted for Obama, and 92% of blacks voted for Obama, then you have to ask, did some large quantitiy of black individuals comprising that 39% difference make their decision based primarily on race?

Civil rights reform is over - neither party is currently offering any policy that is explicitly to the benefit of any particular race of people.

It's just a valid question that has to be asked. It may mean that we do still have an unhealthy preoccupation with race in this country, but that it disproportionately could be assigned to blacks. This is what Murph was getting at, and your argument proves it - since a skillion white people voted for Obama. Whites didn't go 92% for the white guy.
Here you go..
Old 11-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #479
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
i really, love how you completely passed over my entire post that speculated that there are numerous rednecks in my home state of tennessee that typically vote republican but also could have had extra incentive to vote AGAINST an african-american.

no one on the message board has said "all african-americans voted for Obama because he was also african-american". You are the ONLY one quoting that statement. Your reading comprehension is atrocious.

On the flip side, there are white people who are equally as ignorant as those quoted in the howard stern clip. Registering and voting republican because Obama is black, and because they don't want the "guvment" telling them what to do.

YOU are the one taking this debate to a level it doesn't need to go to. YOU are the one MANUFACTURING the race-baiting (at least in this thread - the pre-election dude threads are something else).
I see you edited your post after someone posted on your response. You are indeed guilty of not reading this thread to figure out what I was responding to. If you did, and read all the posts from other posters telling those posters that blacks did NOT vote because of race. You also did not see all those posts that Jhig had to delete from those who made bigger idiot statements on this and were just down right wrong on every aspect. I say again, Jhig did a great job on this. I applaud him, because he even edited and made comments on it having to stop..

I responded to your post, because you jumped in and did not know what was going on when I posted. I NEVER said a single word about race after the election. I was strictly positive, and there were several posters who went to the race card, and many posters came to defend the black vote on this issue. I applaud everyone of them, and I set back and was quiet. But, then it started up again today, and finally I said something. I even made a comment on why blacks in general vote for Democrats, and also talked about the lack of Republicans trying to get the black vote.

The whole time I was positive. I am guilty of speaking up later today after many of my fellow posters were doing a great job of responding to this mess that was going on about blacks voting for Obama because he was black. After everyone made them look silly, the talk went to something a little different about wanting to know why blacks vote in a so called bloc for Democrats. See, I have no problem with this, and we could have addressed this in a non-threatening manner. Problem was when some posters called blacks racist for voting for Obama.

Last edited by Silk Smoov; 11-05-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #480
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Crap...now I have to add Rhylan and Big Boy Lareux to the silk smoov gallery. We can call it the after-the-election edition.
If you look at combination of a very long time spent on this forum and relatively low but steady posts per day, I think BBL and I both are prime candidates for high average post quality.

And.. we voted on opposite sides of this election.

Just goes to show who's carrying the empty bag in this thread. Everyone check your credit! Someone is failing debate 101.

Last edited by Rhylan; 11-05-2008 at 09:52 PM.