Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-25-2004, 02:33 PM   #1
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of
Default Yesterday's Officiating

I'm curious how yesterday's officiating looked to those of you who watched the game on TV. From my seats, it looked completely godawful. Through the first three quarters it seemed the refs were consistently blowing one call after another. Maybe I didn't have a good 'angle.' What did it look like on TV?

I'm sure I was being a Mavs homer...but, I don't remember seeing a game called that poorly in quite a while.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:36 PM   #2
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Yesterday's Officiating

I honestly think the only people who should be mad are Kings fans. I don't think the officiating won us the game however I think the refs made some calls that were more in favor of the Mavs then they were for the Kings.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 02:38 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

it looked better than normal and the bad calls went both ways. I watched the game and then watched the tape and there are some blown calls. Walker walks subtly. Peja takes four steps without a call. Nash gets called for ticky-tack fouls in the first half and gets away with more in the second. Najera gets called on two quick BS fouls and then gets away with two straight fouls to get the steal. It was interesting officiation that mostly went our way.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 02:47 PM   #4
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

No xerxes, you're not being a homer. There were some horribly bad calls made yesterday. 2 of Nash's 4 fouls involved no human-to-human contact whatsoever. Najera got stuck with 2 bullcrap calls within a 6-second span. They walked, they fouled to get steals, and they hacked, but didn't get called for it. But we did get away with our fair share of fouls though...
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 02:53 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

The larger concern for me is how home teams nearly always get the calls they need. We overwhelmingly got the calls (especially on out-of-bounds calls). We have seen that unless the home team plays content (detriot) or the home team just plain sucks (NY), winning on the road is nearly impossible.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:54 PM   #6
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
The larger concern for me is how home teams nearly always get the calls they need. We overwhelmingly got the calls (especially on out-of-bounds calls). We have seen that unless the home team plays content (detriot) or the home team just plain sucks (NY), winning on the road is nearly impossible.
Refs don't like getting booed either.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 02:55 PM   #7
Richard

Richard is on a distinguished road

I'm with you. It was pretty bad. Only saving grace is it was fairly evenly bad.

BUT, if Nash being out unfairly because of the refs had had the usual effect, their bad calls would have decided the game. Maybe next game they'll even it out and sit Webber for most of the game with BS calls. Why do I think that won't happen?
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 02:58 PM   #8
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Yesterday's Officiating

I thought the job the refs did was unusually ticky-tack and often just inexplicably bad. Luckily it didn't figure in the outcome.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:43 PM   #9
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

I'm glad to see that a few of you agreed with me. I took my younger brother to the game and I kept looking at him and telling him "we're going to win by 20 - but if there were better officiating - we'd win by 40..."

Maybe I'm getting greedy.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:49 PM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: XERXES
I'm glad to see that a few of you agreed with me. I took my younger brother to the game and I kept looking at him and telling him "we're going to win by 20 - but if there were better officiating - we'd win by 40..."

Maybe I'm getting greedy.
definitely greedy. [img]i/expressions/brokenheart.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I just don't complain when the fouls ultimately dont make a difference because compared to most games this game was well officiated.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:56 AM   #11
PubaNWO

PubaNWO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
it looked better than normal and the bad calls went both ways. I watched the game and then watched the tape and there are some blown calls. Walker walks subtly. Peja takes four steps without a call. Nash gets called for ticky-tack fouls in the first half and gets away with more in the second. Najera gets called on two quick BS fouls and then gets away with two straight fouls to get the steal. It was interesting officiation that mostly went our way.
Erica this is the NBA, they never call traveling!!!

I mean Lebron James can jump and fake a dunk then take a hop and 3 steps on his way to a windmill dunk and they don't call traveling!!!

And you know who started that?? Nique....the Human Highlight Film!!! Poor guy isn't even one of the 50 greatest players.....something is wrong!
PubaNWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:36 AM   #12
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

It was horrible from anywhere you were sitting, Nash's 4 quick fouls were horrible...3 of them he didnt even touch the opposing player.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:07 AM   #13
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Yesterday's Officiating

First of all, and very notorious, nobody could touch Bibby.

Second, maybe coincidently but when Eddie got on the court, during the TO (I don't remember if it was in the change of the first to the second quarter), the refs had a little meeting and they agreed that the tempo was going to change and so their calls (the TV showed it with the "open mic" -or so- feature). It was odd. Then they started to whistle everything, including if a fan slurped his beer.