Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-01-2006, 10:25 AM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Greece beats US Hoops....sonofa...

Greece just put the US in the bronze medal game.

sonofab*tch
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2006, 10:35 AM   #2
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we should send our womens team to play some more fundamentally sound basketball.....

stupid greeks and their stupid roster without a single damned NBA player on it....
Old 09-01-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

It all comes down to familiarity, not fundamentals.

Build a U.S. team where the core plays together every summer, like all the international squads do, and we will regain our top spot internationally. Until that happens, we will continue to get beat.

It could get worse. I fully expect the U.S. to lose to Argentina in the Bronze medal game.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
It could get worse. I fully expect the U.S. to lose to Argentina in the Bronze medal game.
Ditto.

Do you think then that if they play together next summer, and then leading up to Bejing in '08 that they can possibly get any better?
Old 09-01-2006, 10:49 AM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

This has been discussed in another thread as well. I still think that the differences between NBA ball and international ball are the biggest differences. The international game defocuses one-on-one play for ball movement and shooting.

Unless you ask jerry west...

Quote:
“I don’t care who we have playing,” Jerry West said recently, “they’re vulnerable. They are vulnerable, and the reason they’re vulnerable is because the referees over there don’t give them every call. The referees don’t pay any attention to the name on the back of the uniform.”
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:53 AM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

This guy has an opinion on it.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ogID=162677200
Quote:
Jerry Colangelo, the man who is responsible for putting together the USA basketball team, sounded off this morning in response to the United States losing to Greece in the semifinals of the FIBA World Championship. He blamed the US team for being too soft and attributed the loss to the fact that the NBA is such a different game, a much more fluid game. We all know that's crap, because the NBA is nothing but free throws, which is why no one watches it anymore. By the way, we shot 59 percent from the line this morning, another fucking joke...

"It's the nuances of the game: the pulling and the tugging..."
"We need to be more physical."
"There's a lot more flow to an NBA game."
-Jerry Colangelo, town idiot and public liar

As McEnroe would say, "You can not be serious?!" Anyone watch the NBA over the last decade? Yeah, me neither. I was foolish enough to believe the league had gotten better with the great draft starting with Lebron, Carmello, and Wade. It has been slightly more watchable recently, but nothing close to where it was 15, 20 years ago. There was a Pistons/Heat game last year where both teams employed the "Hack-a-Shaq" theory, and purposely fouled the other team's big man knowing they'd both miss the free throws. How is that "fluid", I ask you, Jerry?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:53 AM   #7
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Ditto.

Do you think then that if they play together next summer, and then leading up to Bejing in '08 that they can possibly get any better?
Yes, I do.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 09-01-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

haha he called the NBA a more fluid game.. sigh

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:59 AM   #9
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Wow, I comletely disagree with this. People may say that players were better jump shooters 20 years ago, I say that defenses were simply gawd-awful 20 years ago. I watch the old Celtics and Lakers games and come away stunned at the overall lack of athleticism and defensive ability.

Sure, there has been way too little emphasis on fundamenals. But the best basketball players still come from the U.S.

To Dude's other post, I think the style of play has something to do with it, for sure. Not having a truly great shooter, like Redd or Allen, didn't help either.

But I still say, if you get a core of 7 or 8 players that play together for 3 or 4 summers in a row, you will start seeing different results. Not domination, because the other countries' teams have been playing together for closer to a decade, but I think they'll be winning more tournaments.

Also, I still say if you someday have an elite NBA team that is all U.S. players, you could send that team over and they would pretty much dominate. Even the Pistons of the last couple years, with a style that is AWFUL for FIBA rules, would still win that tournament, I think. Familiarity is so important in basketball.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 09-01-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:25 AM   #10
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

good
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:17 PM   #11
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Yoooo that Big guy for Greece...that the Clipps drafted but didnt sign is series....The mini Shaq...i liked watchin him play

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:51 PM   #12
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

If they lose wade before the olympics I'll root for them.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:54 PM   #13
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

High comedy if you ask me.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:47 PM   #14
Darke

Darke has a spectacular aura aboutDarke has a spectacular aura aboutDarke has a spectacular aura about

NBA: depends mostly on star players, so the game and the rules are made for that (star player = moneymaker - great team without star player = no moneymaker)

Rest of the World: depends on team play

That is one big part of the problem, together with playing more time together for the national team and more emphasis on fundamentals and defensive players/general defense.

Last edited by Darke; 09-01-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Darke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:28 PM   #15
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

The terrific trio of Melo, Lebron and Wade had some dismal numbers from 3-pt land (combined for 4-15) and fts (13-23). Why are they shooting so many threes when only Lebron makes them over 30%? Oh well, giving up 100 pts doesn't help either.
purplefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:25 PM   #16
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Giving up 100 points to a team with no NBA players is just pathetic.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:55 PM   #17
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Pathetic.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:08 PM   #18
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

Funniest thing was when in crunch time team USA needed a three and LeBron opted for the absolutely useless highlight-reel-monsterdunk instead. Brought the whole spirit of that team to an essence.
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:13 PM   #19
babbler

babbler is on a distinguished road

Team USA still doesnt pick the right mix of players in my opinion. Internation bball is team orientated, so why are lebron, kobe and wade always picked. Also where are the pure shooters. players like JET and allen. i know redd, billups, arenas and pierce are in the squad, but they were unavailable. Those four are probably the better shooters in the squad and they were sorely missed.
What does everyone think the squad should be assuming 2 players per position and a couple of spares?
babbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:16 PM   #20
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

I'd like to see Nellie coach team USA.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 12:17 AM   #21
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Now that'd be something, Jlee. I'd pay to see that.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:36 AM   #22
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Jason Terry would've been a better fit for the team than any other point guard.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 12:58 AM   #23
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Nellie coaching would be awesome. JT woulda been a great fit for the team.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 01:04 AM   #24
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

lol I hope you're talking about replacing Kirk and not Paul, but even so I think those two were two of my favorite fits on the team behind Bosh and Howard. I wouldn't put Terry on the team.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:42 AM   #25
Jerry Stackhouse

Jerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to all

That Dwight Howard only played 13 minutes is inexcusable. Almost fireable.
Jerry Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 12:35 PM   #26
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

That game against Greece was pretty good evidence of why Coach K would NEVER succeed in the NBA.. he has no clue how to substitute.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:18 AM   #27
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Still pathetic

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:58 PM   #28
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom
That game against Greece was pretty good evidence of why Coach K would NEVER succeed in the NBA.. he has no clue how to substitute.
In his defense.. that team would be a lot harder to substitute in than a normal team..

This team is stacked with the best players in the league.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #29
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
This team is stacked with the best players in the league.
there lies the problem.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:04 PM   #30
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom
Yeah right, just blame the coach - it's the easiest thing to do...

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote