Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
MaverickOutlaw
Banned

MaverickOutlaw is infamous around these partsMaverickOutlaw is infamous around these partsMaverickOutlaw is infamous around these parts
Default Long time no post..........Nash to Dallas?

I hate to say it but if DW does not come here lets sign Nash. Guy still has 3 good years left in him and he is not slowing down.
MaverickOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Maybe Nash is not slowing down, because he is not playing in May and June...

And i am not sure if he can chase Westbrook and co. for 38+min in a conf. finals. Reg season is a different story.

Last edited by markus1234; 06-19-2012 at 06:35 AM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

He wouldn't guard Westbrook, he would guard Sefolosha. Not that it would really matter much, it is proved that there is basically no correlation between PG defense, and winning basketball games. It's the least impactful defensive position, by far. Nash would be awesome if Deron doesn't come, but in order to have any chance for a championship, we'd also have to sign a guy like Gortat, who is a good defender, and (!) a nice pick&roll weapon in the post, to compliment the pick&pop game between Nash and Dirk. Now getting this guy, would be a lot tougher than getting Nash, because i don't even know if there is such guy out there, who we could get with the remaining capspace in that scenario.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 06-19-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
He wouldn't guard Westbrook, he would guard Sefolosha. Not that it would really matter much, it is proved that there is basically no correlation between PG defense, and winning basketball games. It's the least impactful defensive position, by far. Nash would be awesome if Deron doesn't come, but in order to have any chance for a championship, we'd also have to sign a guy like Gortat, who is a good defender, and (!) a nice pick&roll weapon in the post, to compliment the pick&pop game between Nash and Dirk. Now getting this guy, would be a lot tougher than getting Nash, because i don't even know if there is such guy out there, who we could get with the remaining capspace in that scenario.
I don't know how you can make that assertion. The field day opposing point guards would have driving into the lane against Nash would cause all sorts of downstream issues for the Mavs --- big man foul trouble, help/rotation defense issues, and poorer perimeter rotations as a result of penetration into the lane.

I just don't know if Nash's offensive skills really offset the liabilities he causes on the defensive end. Gortat would be a very nice get, but I just don't think thats realistic.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
adonis
Golden Member

adonis is infamous around these parts

But would Deron be able to stop Harden/Westbrook from having field days as well? We can "hide" Nash on defense if we can find a rim protecting center.
adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Deron Williams can guard them better than Nash can, Nash can't even guard a chair.

OP: No, thanks!
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

PG defense isn't really important in the NBA anymore with the rules, it's all about funneling (sp?) guards to bigs. Nash still is an extremely valuable player that is as effecient as a PG of anyone in the league, I'd rather have dragic than him because long term but nash would make some sense.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
adonis
Golden Member

adonis is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
PG defense isn't really important in the NBA anymore with the rules, it's all about funneling (sp?) guards to bigs. Nash still is an extremely valuable player that is as effecient as a PG of anyone in the league, I'd rather have dragic than him because long term but nash would make some sense.
Bingo.
adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
THE LOVER

THE LOVER is on a distinguished road

NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!
THE LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #10
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange View Post
I don't know how you can make that assertion. The field day opposing point guards would have driving into the lane against Nash would cause all sorts of downstream issues for the Mavs --- big man foul trouble, help/rotation defense issues, and poorer perimeter rotations as a result of penetration into the lane.

I just don't know if Nash's offensive skills really offset the liabilities he causes on the defensive end. Gortat would be a very nice get, but I just don't think thats realistic.
With the rule changes, there is no stopping fast guards from penetration anymore. But even before the rule changes, a fast point guard simply beat anybody off the dribble, because defense, and especially "first line" defense is reactionary. The attacker will always be faster than the defender, especially with the angle. A PG can attack in the lenght of the court, and has the most space. As mavs777 wrote, it's really all about funneling the players into the help defense.

But even if on some occasion, the defender somehow can stay in front of the opposing PG without fouling, it's not really gonna make an impact on the game, when the attacking PG can ask for a screen any time he wants, and easily beat even a much faster defender. As i said, it is statistically proven, that there is no, or very little correlation between PG defense, and winning basketball games in the NBA. I can maybe find the article, but i pretty much think this is in a more and more well known fact territory, and that's why Nash can still top, or be near the top on any adjusted +- impact list, with the disastrous roster he has around him. Because he's still that good, and because PG defense has basically no impact on the game.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 06-21-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis View Post
Bingo.
I see your point, but these statistics include a lot of teams that don't make the playoffs, or exit early every year. If you look at the overall category of perimeter defense, it is an important part of the game. Kidd and Deshawn on defense was absolutely critical in the title run. Also, look how much time Marion spent guarding opposing PGs last year.

This team is committed to Carlisle. Carlisle is committed to defense. A PG that is MIA on the defensive end probably should not be a starter on this team. Coming off the bench, fine, but not your main PG.

One other thing to consider with Nash...can he adjust his game to be a better defender. It's hard at his age, but look at his list of coaches. Has any of them been defensive minded in the least? Maybe he could adjust.

Last edited by jacktruth; 06-21-2012 at 09:09 AM.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #12
HueyFreeman

HueyFreeman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktruth View Post
I see your point, but these statistics include a lot of teams that don't make the playoffs, or exit early every year. If you look at the overall category of perimeter defense, it is an important part of the game. Kidd and Deshawn on defense was absolutely critical in the title run. Also, look how much time Marion spent guarding opposing PGs last year.

This team is committed to Carlisle. Carlisle is committed to defense. A PG that is MIA on the defensive end probably should not be a starter on this team. Coming off the bench, fine, but not your main PG.

One other thing to consider with Nash...can he adjust his game to be a better defender. It's hard at his age, but look at his list of coaches. Has any of them been defensive minded in the least? Maybe he could adjust.

Insert quote about old dogs and new tricks. That being said, if we miss out on Deron I don't really see many options that are better than Nash.
"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding. It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore, trust the physician and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility." - Khalil Gibran

HueyFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyFreeman View Post
if we miss out on Deron I don't really see many options that are better than Nash.
Short term or long term? Because Chris Paul is an unrestricted free agent next summer...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #14
HueyFreeman

HueyFreeman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Short term or long term? Because Chris Paul is an unrestricted free agent next summer...
I think we have to think short-term, or consider letting Dirk go. Letting Chandler go was clearly a mistake. I think we could have cleared enough space (with amnesty, avoiding Odom/ Carter, etc.) to sign Deron and Chandler (spilled milk). We have to learn from our mistakes however. If we miss out on Deron we can't justify waiting another year on a player less likely to come here IMO.

Nash can still play at a high level. With him, Dirk, a resigned J-Kidd, #17, and some role players; and with an emphasis on careful minute allocation I believe we can contend for a title (maybe I'm crazy).
"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding. It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore, trust the physician and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility." - Khalil Gibran

HueyFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #15
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyFreeman View Post
I think we have to think short-term, or consider letting Dirk go. Letting Chandler go was clearly a mistake. I think we could have cleared enough space (with amnesty, avoiding Odom/ Carter, etc.) to sign Deron and Chandler (spilled milk). We have to learn from our mistakes however. If we miss out on Deron we can't justify waiting another year on a player less likely to come here IMO.

Nash can still play at a high level. With him, Dirk, a resigned J-Kidd, #17, and some role players; and with an emphasis on careful minute allocation I believe we can contend for a title (maybe I'm crazy).
Yea, but the dream for Cuban and Nelson last offseason was to land Deron and Howard to add with Dirk, thus losing Chandler. Last I check neither has signed long term deals. I don't think we've made a mistake, this was the organizational plan. Even if we don't hit Deron, we still have the cap space to get a salary dump, ie Rudy Gay, Iguodala, or even possibly Howard. Will Nash come on a one year deal? I can't see that happening.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #16
MaverickOutlaw
Banned

MaverickOutlaw is infamous around these partsMaverickOutlaw is infamous around these partsMaverickOutlaw is infamous around these parts

Funny folks talk about Westbrook that guy need to work on his apg. His point guard Iq is very horrible.
MaverickOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #17
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickOutlaw View Post
Funny folks talk about Westbrook that guy need to work on his apg. His point guard Iq is very horrible.
But he was dramatically better this season than last. Remember, he didn't play point in college. If he can keep his ego in check, he can be a great one. Or be an undersized killer 2.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #18
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
But he was dramatically better this season than last. Remember, he didn't play point in college. If he can keep his ego in check, he can be a great one. Or be an undersized killer 2.
The only thing I saw that he really did better this season than last was shoot the midrange jumper. He didn't look any more like a PG to me than he did before. And he didn't at all look like one before. Doesn't mean he's not a hell of a player, of course.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
The only thing I saw that he really did better this season than last was shoot the midrange jumper. He didn't look any more like a PG to me than he did before. And he didn't at all look like one before. Doesn't mean he's not a hell of a player, of course.
He was extremely formidable as a pull-up shooter off the elbow. The pick and roll really killed teams, like Dallas, with Westbrook as he showed that he had the capability of hitting that shot. Even with that, he's absolutely relentless as an attacker towards the rim. The next step for him on offense is developing that Tony Parker floater. If he can get that and continue to develop as a spot-up shooter, he'll be absolute murder.

With the pieces OKC has, I don't think they need Westbrook to be a pure or true PG. The fact of the matter is that concept of a pure PG is a dying breed. What they do need is some form of offense. They just rely on their scorer's to break through tough defenses on their own.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #20
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
The fact of the matter is that concept of a pure PG is a dying breed.
I'm interested in hearing more about this.

It seems clear that the 5 is changing a lot, as players at the other positions are getting bigger. I'm not sure why the 1 is changing, though, except for situations like Lebron playing the point forward.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #21
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
He was extremely formidable as a pull-up shooter off the elbow. The pick and roll really killed teams, like Dallas, with Westbrook as he showed that he had the capability of hitting that shot. Even with that, he's absolutely relentless as an attacker towards the rim. The next step for him on offense is developing that Tony Parker floater. If he can get that and continue to develop as a spot-up shooter, he'll be absolute murder.

With the pieces OKC has, I don't think they need Westbrook to be a pure or true PG. The fact of the matter is that concept of a pure PG is a dying breed. What they do need is some form of offense. They just rely on their scorer's to break through tough defenses on their own.
That pull-up is what I saw as an improvement. Attacking..he was already phenomenal at that. A floater can't hurt, but until his explosiveness starts to ebb I wouldn't expect it to make much of an impact on his overall effectiveness.

As for him being a pure point, I agree they don't need that. They do need him to get better at delivering the ball to Durant, though.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #22
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Westbrook's biggest problem is that he's a #1 option on a team that already has a better #1 option.

I still think that declined Rondo-Westrook swap would have been in the best interest of both teams - OKC would get a PG who's a little more comfortable with deferring, but can step up big when called upon, and Boston would get a franchise-caliber PG to rebuild their team around... Win-win.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-24-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #23
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
That pull-up is what I saw as an improvement. Attacking..he was already phenomenal at that. A floater can't hurt, but until his explosiveness starts to ebb I wouldn't expect it to make much of an impact on his overall effectiveness.

As for him being a pure point, I agree they don't need that. They do need him to get better at delivering the ball to Durant, though.
I guess I just look at the floater as a preemptive move to ensure he doesn't have to go the Wade route. To this day, Wade will go hard to the rim and take a fall, even if he really doesn't need to. That stuff will wear on you and eventually lead to breakdowns. If you can develop the floater early and minimize the damage, I think it's in your best interest (game wise and durability wise).

I agree with the point with Durant, but KD has got to make himself more available and do so in positions that are more favorable for himself and the team. He's got to work closer to the basket. I'm not saying he needs to be going to Hakeem and working on post stuff, but he does need to operate closer with a more consistent starting point than 22-25 feet away from the basket.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 06-24-2012 at 08:16 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:56 AM   #24
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Rondo would make OKC's offense a lot worse. His ineffeciency has killed the celtics and would have done the same with OKC, OKC's offense was great this year.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #25
Spurred1

Spurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to all

Terry Porter tried to teach the Suns defense. It failed on all levels and he got fired. Look, Nash has lasted a long time due to the excellent medical staff for the Suns. But haven't you guys noticed that he's spending more and more time on his back during the games? I would be surprised if he did last three more years at this level, esp. if the medical staff isn't what he's used to.
He would be fine as a backup, but his back and persistent lack of defense, combined with Dirk's below average defense would increase the defensive work for everyone else. Chandler was great at covering up Dirk's defensive liabilities as well as Terry's. Marion, Kidd, and Stevenson were all terrific at playing defense. Kidd can't do that as much, Marion is aging(aren't we all) and Stevenson is a Net(poor thing). Haywood is backup center material and can't cover other players' lack of defense.
If the Mavs had more defensive players, Nash would be a good fit here because his no defense play would be covered. And you can say that defense doesn't matter from his position, but it really does come down to defense when you want to win. The Heat shut down the Thunder and made it difficult for them to get going.
Nash has had plenty of opportunities to win with incredible offense. He's never tried defense and there is no reason to think he will now. I'd prefer the Mavs try to get younger overall, also.
Spurred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #26
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I like nashie but I'm just not interested in offensive only players. Our defense needs to get back where it was, nashie would not help that at all.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #27
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I like nashie but I'm just not interested in offensive only players. Our defense needs to get back where it was, nashie would not help that at all.
Our defense was statistically better in both the regular season, and in the playoffs as last year, definitely in the playoffs. Our offense though, became a lot worse. Also, there is no correlation between PG defense, and winning basketball games. It is a statistically proven fact. Not saying Nash is the answer, but your reasoning is wrong imo. Age is the factor for me, if anything.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 06-25-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #28
Underdog

Quote:
Also, there is no correlation between PG defense, and winning basketball games. It is a statistically proven fact.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #29
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Also, there is no correlation between PG defense, and winning basketball games. It is a statistically proven fact.

I would love to see statistics that prove that.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:44 AM   #30
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Now wing defense, that's a whole other question. As we all know, Kidd did a tremendous job guarding SG's, and SF's last season. Good job on the picture btw, it made me laugh.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 06-26-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:50 AM   #31
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I would love to see statistics that prove that.
I'll try my best to find those articles, and statistical samples, but i can tell you this, it is more and more accepted amongst basketball minds (especially with the increased used of advanced stats) that this is the case, because of a couple reasons, most importantly the end of the hand check era, and probably also the improvement of the offensive schemes. I read an unhealthy amount about this sport, and this is definitely one of the things i gathered in the last couple of years. To me, that's like saying TS% is better than FG%. I can understand why some of you don't feel that way, and we can agree to disagree, with that said, i'm gonna put in the time and try to find those articles and such that i read about this the last couple of years, hopefully it will lead to a good discussion.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 06-26-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #32
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

All i know is that dominant guards are important. Guards who can attack the basket and draw fouls.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl...n/point-guards
http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl...hooting-guards

Nash is a shooter. At best he can trade baskets with the other guards, but he will never put pressure on their bigs. He will never challenge Ibaka, Bynum, Bosh, Chandler, Noah and co...
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #33
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

No. If we don't get DWill I'm on the Dragic bandwagon. We are going in the wrong direction age wise unless you're trying to put together an over 40 team.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #34
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
All i know is that dominant guards are important. Guards who can attack the basket and draw fouls.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl...n/point-guards
http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl...hooting-guards

Nash is a shooter. At best he can trade baskets with the other guards, but he will never put pressure on their bigs. He will never challenge Ibaka, Bynum, Bosh, Chandler, Noah and co...

He won't challenge them by trying to shoot over them, but he will drive and dish so he can find their men wide open for a dunk or layup.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #35
PartywithDirk

PartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to all

If we're reduced to Nash as our option, I would rather tank this year and try to rebuild through the draft/fa next year.

Trade Marion for what you can get, amnesty Haywood, sign a bunch of 1 year contracts to fill out a roster, hope Cunningham turns into a player, and pray for next year.

But don't insult your intelligent fans by trotting Nash back out there and telling us it's an upgrade.
PartywithDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #36
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartywithDirk View Post
If we're reduced to Nash as our option, I would rather tank this year and try to rebuild through the draft/fa next year.

Trade Marion for what you can get, amnesty Haywood, sign a bunch of 1 year contracts to fill out a roster, hope Cunningham turns into a player, and pray for next year.

But don't insult your intelligent fans by trotting Nash back out there and telling us it's an upgrade.
You mean the same nash that almost took a team with gortat and a bunch of scrubs to the playoffs?
Old 06-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #37
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
PG defense is almost irrelevant right now, and Nash's defense is average as the advanced stats show, but hey listen to the media myths and telling it as facts.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #38
pepe

pepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to all

What will Nash market value be? a one year contract perhaps a two year contract 2/16 or somewhere around those figures is borderline insane!
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #39
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe View Post
What will Nash market value be? a one year contract perhaps a two year contract 2/16 or somewhere around those figures is borderline insane!
You're insane.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #40
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
PG defense is almost irrelevant right now, and Nash's defense is average as the advanced stats show, but hey listen to the media myths and telling it as facts.
Oh sorry...didn't realize nashie was such a competent defender.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trade and draft board