Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-25-2018, 01:27 PM   #401
Me.B

Me.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to all

I’m trying to get used to the idea of the Mavs going in the direction of “today’s NBA” of rolling out a PG, 3 interchangeable forwards, and a rim protector.

I saw someone else post this idea on a different board and what to see what y’all think. If it’s even possible.

Mavs trade Wes, JJ, and Powell to Washington for Otto Porter and Gortat. Then use the remaining cap space to sign Deandre Jordan.

That would give the Mavs a lineup of

DJ/Gortat
Porter/Dirk/Motley
Barnes/DFS/McBuckets
Luka/Curry
Dennis/Brunson

Now, DJ would have to opt out and likely be convinced to take a little less than the $25 mil he’s expected to make this year. Maybe a longer contract could convince him to do so?

I’m just brainstorming so try not to kill me too much on this idea.
Me.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2018, 01:43 PM   #402
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Again, you have to consider the crazy summer of 2016. The cap spike pretty much ruined the cap situation for ~80-90% of the teams until 2020...

2018 and 2019 just a handful of teams have max cap or near to max cap. And most of them are rebuilding teams like Hawks, Kings or Suns..

Also our plan powder wasnt really working because our assets were 34+ old Dirk and Rick. Now with DSJ, Doncic, Barnes and Rick and the winning culture created by Dirk it looks completly different for player looking to join a new team. As example for Butler next summer.

DSJ/Doncic/Barnes/Rick AND being one of the few teams with cap 2018 AND 2019 is a big deal...
Bingo. It's not like big-name FAs avoided Dallas because they hated the culture/city/owner/coach/etc like many other franchises who can't lure FAs-- it was solely because the superstar they would have teamed up with was going to be 38 years old by the time their contract expired. That wasn't exactly appealing to a ring-hunter in the prime of their career... And before that we didn't have cap space to sign FAs, which is why the bulk of our championship squad was acquired through trades.

But this young core? I mean, LeBron was heaping praise on Dennis all last year, and Luka is already a star back in Europe at just 18 years old. Both of those guys have big personalities to match their talent, which seems to be key in the FA game... Throw in the fact that Carlisle/Cuban are known as a top-tier coach/owner in the league and I don't see any reason why we can't get some big names here over the next few years. This is a new era and we're primed to make some noise.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-25-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:30 PM   #403
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.B View Post
I’m trying to get used to the idea of the Mavs going in the direction of “today’s NBA” of rolling out a PG, 3 interchangeable forwards, and a rim protector.

I saw someone else post this idea on a different board and what to see what y’all think. If it’s even possible.

Mavs trade Wes, JJ, and Powell to Washington for Otto Porter and Gortat. Then use the remaining cap space to sign Deandre Jordan.

That would give the Mavs a lineup of

DJ/Gortat
Porter/Dirk/Motley
Barnes/DFS/McBuckets
Luka/Curry
Dennis/Brunson

Now, DJ would have to opt out and likely be convinced to take a little less than the $25 mil he’s expected to make this year. Maybe a longer contract could convince him to do so?

I’m just brainstorming so try not to kill me too much on this idea.

Why would Washington do this?

Also, I'm not sure if Gortat has anything left.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 06-25-2018 at 02:31 PM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:54 PM   #404
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

DeAndre would be a perfect fit IF he opts out. Otherwise they can field better offers for him.

What is the board consensus on his price if he opts out? Can 3ys/60m get it done?
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #405
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
DeAndre would be a perfect fit IF he opts out. Otherwise they can field better offers for him.

What is the board consensus on his price if he opts out? Can 3ys/60m get it done?
I think he would launch on that offer. It seems a little steep or I am being frugal and maybe a little butt hurt still

Old 06-25-2018, 03:38 PM   #406
Zaman314125

Zaman314125 will become famous soon enoughZaman314125 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

There's a YouTuber who predicts which free agent goes where and their contract. He had DeAndre Jordan going to the Mavs for 3 years and 60 mil exactly what you said.
Zaman314125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:01 PM   #407
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Welp, you can scratch Capela off the list...

Last edited by Underdog; 06-25-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:08 PM   #408
Me.B

Me.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Why would Washington do this?

Also, I'm not sure if Gortat has anything left.

To help their long term cap situation. Apparently their owner is desperate to get under the tax threshold. Trading Beal has been discussed but I think the still really want to keep him. I remember the Mavs having an interest in Porter before he resigned with them and he has a huge contract so if they really are trying to dump salary he would be the next obvious choice. Gortat for Wes would be a wash for them.

Again I’m just trying to come up with an idea to get the Mavs more talent and heard someone else suggest this idea. I’m honestly not even sure the money works besides the fact that Washington might not even be interested in doing something like this.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:11 PM   #409
Me.B

Quote:

See, I’m thinking it would be best if he opts in. That way the Mavs would not be tied to him long term. He’d basically be a 1 year rental in case he doesn’t work out. If he does work out and plays really well the Mavs would have his Bird Rights to be able to offer him a long term contract.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:24 PM   #410
Underdog

Quote:
See, I’m thinking it would be best if he opts in. That way the Mavs would not be tied to him long term. He’d basically be a 1 year rental in case he doesn’t work out. If he does work out and plays really well the Mavs would have his Bird Rights to be able to offer him a long term contract.
But if he opts in you have to trade for him, and we have nothing of interest to the Clippers.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:29 PM   #411
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sure, but how do we trade for him though? We have no trade assets outside of Wes really, which isn't going to interest them in the slightest. He will be worth a 1st to somebody... just think about what Noel went for, DJ is going to go for more than that easily. We don't have what it takes to trade for him imo.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #412
Mavs#1Fan

Mavs#1Fan will become famous soon enoughMavs#1Fan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Remember the crap with Jordan? Exactly this happened. During that couple of days where we thought we signed him and him breaking his word pretty much every other solid other FA signed somewhere else. And when we "got" then our cap back, the FA market was a desert and he fucked an entire FA period or the Mavs.

And thats why i dont want to hear his name here anymore. I prefer to lose games without this douche than win games with having is ugly face in Mavs jersey. Remember the Emoji day on Twitter and Griffins chair picture? They all were at his house playing cards, having fun because Jordan allready promised to re-sign with the Clippers. Probably laughing hard about all the twitter stuff and stupid Cuban and stupid Mavs etc.

And yet this little child didnt have the guts to inform the Mavs for another what, 48 hours?

Fuck him forever. If he signs here i wont watch any game during the time of his contract.
I remember being furious about that as well.

The thing that made me the maddest was the fact that Jordan could have ended the fans suffering HOURS beforehand. If he had been a man and told the Maverick fans that he changed his mind WHEN he changed his mind, I could forgive him.

But he never even pretended to care about us and I still hate him to this day
Mavs#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:19 PM   #413
Underdog

@Schultz_Report: Per NBA source, the #Mavericks are a contender for #Celtics’ RFA Marcus Smart, but it “depends on price.”

Other contenders, per source,
include the #Bulls, #Suns, #Pacers, and yes, Boston.

Smart, 24, averaged 10.2 points and a career-high 4.8 assists last season.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #414
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
@Schultz_Report: Per NBA source, the #Mavericks are a contender for #Celtics’ RFA Marcus Smart, but it “depends on price.”

Other contenders, per source,
include the #Bulls, #Suns, #Pacers, and yes, Boston.

Smart, 24, averaged 10.2 points and a career-high 4.8 assists last season.
Wooo! We finally got our starting center.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-25-2018 at 05:28 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:24 PM   #415
Me.B

Quote:
But if he opts in you have to trade for him, and we have nothing of interest to the Clippers.

They are in rebuilding mode and we have cap space.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:27 PM   #416
Me.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
But why?

Defense. He’s a very strong perimeter defender. With Dennis and Doncic not being great defenders they will need to surround them with guys that are strong defenders. Not unlike what they did with Dirk and JET in 2011. Smart will HAVE to improve on his 3 pt% though. He would basically be a younger, more athletic version of Deshawn Stevenson.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #417
Me.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Sure, but how do we trade for him though? We have no trade assets outside of Wes really, which isn't going to interest them in the slightest. He will be worth a 1st to somebody... just think about what Noel went for, DJ is going to go for more than that easily. We don't have what it takes to trade for him imo.

Not sure if this would be an option or how exactly it would happen but if Chris Paul talks Labron in to going to Houston, and if Deandre is willing to take less to play in his home town there might be a way Dallas could get involved in a trade that lands Deandre in Houston, and Capela in Dallas.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:37 PM   #418
Mavs#1Fan

Mavs#1Fan will become famous soon enoughMavs#1Fan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390
Speaking for myself, I’m interested in Capela because:

1) he’s 23 and has made substantial strides every offseason
2) he is probably the single best 5 in the league at switching on the perimeter
3) he is a top-5 roll man with soft hands who can catch the crazy passes Doncic will be sending his way

No other available big has a combination of skills/upside this enticing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.B
Personally I like Capela because he’s young (23) and his game fits exactly what the Mavs want out of their centers. He’s a rim runner, shot blocker that can rebound. With that said I think Houston matches any offer he gets...

Honestly the best guy that might be available is Deandre Jordan. I don’t care what he did to the Mavs before, his game fits what they are trying to do now. He would cover up any rebounding deficiencies that Barnes would have having to play the 4. I would not want DJ on a long term contract though.

And Nurkic, I actually really like him. He’s also young and massive. I’m not sure what Portland’s cap situation is but even though Nurkic is not the rim protector that Capela or DJ are I think he’d be a good fit in Dallas. Just like Capela though he’s going to cost a ton of money.

+++++

I love Capela too. Excellent fit and would screw with Houston

Last edited by Mavs#1Fan; 06-25-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #419
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Defense. He’s a very strong perimeter defender. With Dennis and Doncic not being great defenders they will need to surround them with guys that are strong defenders. Not unlike what they did with Dirk and JET in 2011. Smart will HAVE to improve on his 3 pt% though. He would basically be a younger, more athletic version of Deshawn Stevenson.
I was kidding. Of course we need an overrated guard with overrated defense who can't create and can't hit threes well.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:50 PM   #420
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was kidding. Of course we need an overrated guard with overrated defense who can't create and can't hit threes well.
Not only can he not hit 3's he inexplicably takes almost 6 per 36mins.

But in his defense he only hits 36% from the floor so it prolly doesn't matter where he shoots. 30% from 3 is prolly more efficient for him... which is sad.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:54 PM   #421
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

I've cooled on Marcus Smart. The offense is just too much of a black hole to overlook or make up for the defense/ intangibles. My Mavs plan would be to immediately make an offer to Capela upon the start of free agency, and if you strike out settle for a combination of Favors and Looney.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #422
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

I really dont want Smart here, specially for the pricetag he is going to demand and what it would cost for the Celtics to let him go. and i think thats way beyond 12-14m...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:10 PM   #423
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
I've cooled on Marcus Smart. The offense is just too much of a black hole to overlook or make up for the defense/ intangibles. My Mavs plan would be to immediately make an offer to Capela upon the start of free agency, and if you strike out settle for a combination of Favors and Looney.
And if Favors signs during the first week?
Old 06-25-2018, 06:14 PM   #424
Underdog

Four potential Jusuf Nurkic landing spots in free agency
https://hoopshype.com/2018/05/22/jus...s-free-agency/

Quote:
Financially, if the Mavs are actually interested in making this acquisition happen, it wouldn’t be anywhere near as expensive as trying to sign Jordan, Cousins or Randle. But it won’t be close to as cheap as it would have been if Nurkic were an unrestricted free agent, either.

Something along the lines of a two-year, $32 million deal could be just rich enough to make Portland pause on matching, and would make Nurkic’s ears perk up.

That price point would pay Nurkic just over an average starter’s salary (roughly $12.2 million in 2017-18), and with the Blazers’ impending luxury-tax doom (barring some serious salary-cap magic by Portland’s front office this summer), it could be enough to see the 7-footer head to the Lone Star State this offseason.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:18 PM   #425
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Bullseye. In fairness if the price is right sure come sit next to Wes on the bench until Dsj and doncic are tired.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:36 PM   #426
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I look at free agency as completing the team. And why not? IF they're serious about winning, then keeping powder dry is play ole idiotic. If I hear one word about 2019 free agency, then my head will explode. Three positions in the starting lineup are already filled, so there really is no reason to wait until next offseason to complete the team.

If they can get Smart or another defensive wing AND a good defensive center, then do it. No matter the cost. What are we saving the money for again?

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:45 PM   #427
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I look at free agency as completing the team. And why not? IF they're serious about winning, then keeping powder dry is play ole idiotic. If I hear one word about 2019 free agency, then my head will explode. Three positions in the starting lineup are already filled, so there really is no reason to wait until next offseason to complete the team.

If they can get Smart or another defensive wing AND a good defensive center, then do it. No matter the cost. What are we saving the money for again?
A good center yes.

Smart...no. We already have Wes and Dfs, we dont need Smart. He is just not that good. If that's the best we can do I would be sad.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:49 PM   #428
sefant77
Guru

And i dont want to spend money for a questionable fit just because we should spend it now and not wait etc.

Cant shoot, cant take it to the rim with an explosive first step. Isnt a playmaker (AST/TO ratio 2:1). A guard who cant shoot just dont fit Ricks gameplan and he shot for his career 36% from the field and 29% from downtown.

Boston healthy next year is almost a lock for the ECF or even the finals. They dont have to worry about a heavy tax bill or even a heavy repeater taxbill in a few years (because Horfords 30m are gone in two years). And yet they dont want to pay their 6th man 12-14m...so my question is: Why we should if the contender Boston thinks he isnt worth this kind of money.

Last edited by sefant77; 06-25-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:52 PM   #429
Underdog

Fish says we plan on bringing back Devin Harris... Okay.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:53 PM   #430
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Vet minimum, everything else is an overpay
Old 06-25-2018, 07:54 PM   #431
Me.B

Default 2018 Free Agency / Armchair GM Thread

Quote:

You’re right, I mean who needs perimeter defense.

Last edited by Me.B; 06-25-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:57 PM   #432
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
You’re right, I mean who needs perimeter defense.
Who needs shooting? We had zero players last year that shot 40% and we did alright

Plus we have like 25mill in cap. Let’s spend 2/3 of that getting Smart

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-25-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:58 PM   #433
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
He's also been getting roasted all day with his hot football takes.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:51 PM   #434
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Goddamn right it's ok.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:11 PM   #435
3_Ball

3_Ball is a jewel in the rough3_Ball is a jewel in the rough3_Ball is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Who needs shooting? We had zero players last year that shot 40% and we did alright

Plus we have like 25mill in cap. Let’s spend 2/3 of that getting Smart
Define doing alright.
3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:02 PM   #436
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_Ball View Post
Define doing alright.
You might have missed the sarcasm

Old 06-25-2018, 10:06 PM   #437
sefant77
Guru

https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...Than-2010-2014

He doesnt take any meetings and probably its allready down to Lakers/Cavs, rumours are his family would hate to live in Houston.

Just stay away from Capela. Lebron signs july 3rd somewhere and Morey laughs and matches Capela exactly after six days and 23 hours and we look at a pretty empty FA pool...

Houston tries their four year window and pay Paul/Capela and let Ariza go (because they got the cheaper Tucker allready)

Last edited by sefant77; 06-25-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:06 PM   #438
3_Ball

3_Ball is a jewel in the rough3_Ball is a jewel in the rough3_Ball is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
And i dont want to spend money for a questionable fit just because we should spend it now and not wait etc...
I agree. This is a great video I watched a while back about the importance of undervalued contracts and the role they play in creating championship teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=344928ymZJY

Essentially, when you have a max player like Steph Curry, you're getting more value for your dollar than if your max slot goes to Blake Griffin, for example. Another example, the Utah Jazz are in an envious position with Donovan Mitchell and his contract.

If you look at the Spurs and their history of adding players. Rarely did they treat the Free Agent market like a dinner menu i.e. Oh we need a rim protecting center? Well, the $25 mil per season Clint Capela looks nice or maybe the Chef's special, the $20 mil per season DeAndre Jordan would be nice.

Nah, that's just not how championship teams do it. They don't spend money just because they have it to spend. That's how I look at the idea of adding someone like Otto Porter. I mean, why? Personally, I'd rather use that cap space to take on bad contracts & collect more assets. If you look at Boston, Philly, and Phoenix even, that's how they're doing it. Why can't we do the same thing?
3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:33 PM   #439
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_Ball View Post
I agree. This is a great video I watched a while back about the importance of undervalued contracts and the role they play in creating championship teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=344928ymZJY

Essentially, when you have a max player like Steph Curry, you're getting more value for your dollar than if your max slot goes to Blake Griffin, for example. Another example, the Utah Jazz are in an envious position with Donovan Mitchell and his contract.

If you look at the Spurs and their history of adding players. Rarely did they treat the Free Agent market like a dinner menu i.e. Oh we need a rim protecting center? Well, the $25 mil per season Clint Capela looks nice or maybe the Chef's special, the $20 mil per season DeAndre Jordan would be nice.

Nah, that's just not how championship teams do it. They don't spend money just because they have it to spend. That's how I look at the idea of adding someone like Otto Porter. I mean, why? Personally, I'd rather use that cap space to take on bad contracts & collect more assets. If you look at Boston, Philly, and Phoenix even, that's how they're doing it. Why can't we do the same thing?

Solid points, I'd add that if you're not able to build your team into a contender while your draft picks are still on rookie contracts like Boston and Golden State, you end up a middling playoff team with huge contracts -- Toronto, Washington, Portland, etc.

Where you probably lose me is implying $25 million to Clint Capela is a vast overpayment. It's only a slight one, IMO.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:35 PM   #440
Mavs#1Fan

What is the thought of bringing back Tyson Chandler? He should be available and he's only got a year left on his contract.

And Alex Len is a guy who might be intriguing as a flyer