Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-27-2001, 12:02 AM   #1
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

why didn't he play tonight?? is he hurt??
Old 02-27-2001, 12:05 AM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I don't know what the reason is. It seems like he hasn't played much for the last several games.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 12:07 AM   #3
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I actually thought he got some good, productive mins the last couple games. However, I have no idea why he didn't play tonight. Maybe Buck's stellar play took away some of his mins? Or maybe he just had a migraine again.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 12:07 AM   #4
Hales233
Golden Member

that sucks...they need to work him back into the rotation IMO.
Old 02-27-2001, 12:08 AM   #5
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Ya I think he should get at least 15 mins a game, especially now that the rotation's been tightened significantly.
Old 02-27-2001, 08:57 AM   #6
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

I would hope that Gary would get more pt, but he may have complained his way into the Nellie dog house...
Old 03-01-2001, 12:11 PM   #7
dallmav

dallmav is on a distinguished road

It doesnt seem as if there is any room on this team any more for Gary Trent. He hasnt played much at all this season, I realize some due to injury, but he hasnt been that great when he has played. He has showed some signs of his old self, but not much. I dont see him in a mavs uniform next year.
dallmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 12:12 PM   #8
Hales233
Golden Member

what's his contract status? does anyone know?
Old 03-01-2001, 12:18 PM   #9
djb
Administrator

His contract is up after this season, and he can't be traded until then. Plus he'll have his Bird rights after this season, so I'm guess he's either re-signed for a short term deal (1-2yrs) or traded via sign-and-trade. He definitely doesn't want to lose his Bird rights.
Old 03-01-2001, 12:20 PM   #10
djb
Administrator

Personally I like the guy and think he'd be great as a backup. With the new rules in place this season, he just can't go in and bang around like he used to. And I'm sure you've all noticed how much of a factor his size has been this season. He's gotten stuffed waaay too many times by the taller guys on the other end.
Old 03-01-2001, 12:20 PM   #11
Hales233
Golden Member

thanks for the contract status...do you think we'll try and re-sign him??
Old 03-01-2001, 12:24 PM   #12
djb
Administrator

Yes. He'll definitely be re-signed (though like I said, he could be traded via sign-and-trade). The Mavs wouldn't screw him over by just letting him walk. He had the chance to go to Seattle the last time his contract expired, but he decided to stick it out with Dallas.
Old 03-01-2001, 01:27 PM   #13
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I personally don't think Trent will be back next year.

Old 03-01-2001, 03:54 PM   #14
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I don't personally think Trent will be back next year either. DJ's right, we'll resign him because he stuck it out with us and then we'll trade him elsewhere. How is he going to get minutes next year? Won't we try to break Harvey in and get him going?
Old 03-01-2001, 04:38 PM   #15
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Yeah, I hope that Harvey would be a bigger part of the team(so to speak) next year. Instead of sitting at the end of the bench.

Old 03-01-2001, 04:39 PM   #16
Hales233
Golden Member

I hope Trent is back...he's very valuable to have coming off the bench IMO.
Old 03-01-2001, 05:55 PM   #17
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

man, we should hope for the fanhome mavs board that he isn't gone, or else we may lose bobcat...

honestly, i think he's playing too timid this year. maybe afraid to get hurt again.
Old 03-01-2001, 09:24 PM   #18
erub

erub is on a distinguished road

I remember vividly two summers ago we were begging Trent to pay for the minimum salary that we could give him (we were over the cap, so we only had the exceptions left). He graciously agreed. I dont see him getting a big contract via sign and trade...he is damaged goods, IMHO. Another team wont take him if the contract is too big. This is definitely something for Cuban to consider.
erub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 09:39 PM   #19
djb
Administrator

Trent will probably either be re-signed to a short term contract (so he can show the Mavs he really can still play) or shipped out via sign-and-trade. I'm sure he doesn't expect a max deal at this point, especially after riding the pine and sitting out with injuries for so long. The sign-and-trade has to take place because otherwise he'll lose his Bird rights (I think).
Old 03-02-2001, 07:42 AM   #20
P1

P1 is on a distinguished road

Hopefully after the trade he can get more minutes and find his game.
One thing I noticed is that when he gets the ball he seems to be to far away from the basket and usually has to shoot a low % shot. Maybe he can start establishing himself better with more playing time.
P1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 10:33 AM   #21
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

Trent had a good year for the Mavs... 2 YEARS AGO. Nothing against the guy, but if he wants to prove something, he's not going to be able to do it in a Mavs uniform. Im sure the Mavs liked what they saw in Harvey and see that he is our PF of the future. At the very least he will be the backup to Juwan for the future. And get 15 to 20 minutes a game for a couple of years until he develops. Harvey should be a sophomore in college right now. Give the guy 3 years and he will be a star. I like Trent, and he really deserves to be able to show his stuff. but wont be able to do it in a Mavs uniform. Someone will want him. Ill bet that Cuban will sign and trade him this off season.
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2001, 11:36 PM   #22
djb
Administrator

Trent gets yet another DNP [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2001, 12:56 AM   #23
dallmav

I dont see trent as being on this team team next year. I see a sign and trade with him.
Old 03-05-2001, 08:35 AM   #24
Bobcat

Bobcat is on a distinguished road

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Laroux, that's sweet of you to worry about me. I'll still be a Mavs fan if does get traded, because I've gotten to like the team as a whole. But I'd also have to follow whatever team he ended up on ... I've been watching the guy since his freshman year in college, ya know?

I don't know what Trent's problem is -- if he's playing too timid or what -- because the only game I've gotten to watch him play in was when the Cavs were in Dallas. I feel like he hasn't been given much opportunity since he returned this season. I think he deserves to be resigned because he showed loyalty to the Mavs when they needed it, but if Nellie is going to let him sit on the bench and rot, I wish they would trade him. Preferably to a team in the east because then I'd have more opportunities to watch him.
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 09:55 AM   #25
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

wow! she's here! she's really here!

welcome aboard, bobcat.
Old 03-05-2001, 10:21 AM   #26
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

There is an article at dallasbasketball.com stating that the Mavs might just cut Trent, and if they don't he is a definate sign and trade in the offseason (which is what i think we should do with Bradley too).
Old 03-05-2001, 10:28 AM   #27
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Hell two years ago are best pg was Robert Pack and Nash was getting booed. Its time for Trent to move on to a better situation because we don't need him anymore. Harvey is one tenacious, tough as nails, player with some serious aggresiveness. The only reason we traded Thomas was Harvey actually outplayed him all through camp and during the summer, plus Harvey was a lot younger. He was regarded as the second best high school player in the country when Flordia picked up on him, and look what he did there with pure raw talent and explosiveness.
Old 03-05-2001, 10:55 AM   #28
Bobcat

Bobcat is on a distinguished road

Personally, I don't give that article from dallasbasketball.com much credibility ... for one thing, it's in a column titled 'NBA Rumors, Gossip & Innuendo' with no sources quoted. Also it was written well over a week ago, because it talks about the Mavs releasing Trent before the March 1 deadline so he'd be able to sign somewhere else and be eligible for the playoffs. The Mavs could've also then signed someone else in time for him to be eligible for the playoffs. I don't see what would be the point in releasing Trent now, unless Cuban and Nelson want to create ill will with him and his agent. (Who also happens to be Harvey's agent, I do believe.)

I could very well be wrong ... I just don't give much credit to the nbatalk-gossip-type stuff. They listen to people like Peter Vescey too much. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 10:40 AM   #29
djb
Administrator

Mavericks notebook
03/12/2001

By Jodie Valade / The Dallas Morning News

Trent's return desired

Gary Trent has had limited playing time since the acquisition of Juwan Howard – he has played a total of 20 minutes in seven games – but Mavericks coach Don Nelson still values Trent's contribution. Nelson so values it that he said Sunday that he would like Trent to return to the Mavericks next season. Trent is a free agent after this season.

"Gary's been great," Nelson said. "I know it's been hard on him, but he's been a pleasure to work with. He practices hard and tries as hard as he can when he gets in. We still have every intention of re-signing him."

Source: DMN Mavericks Notebook
Old 03-12-2001, 12:23 PM   #30
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Trent's moments of productive play have been few and far between this season... more often I'll see him go out on the floor, hungry to earn more playing time, and frenetically grab boards, steals, and even blocks on the defensive end. I'm usually very impressed with him at this point, but then, when he's given the ball as a reward over on the offensive end, he shows a great ability to get to the basket, and then he shows a great ability to NOT finish the shot once he's down there. EVER. He manages to erase all his good work by consistently missing easy shots (often in part due to his short stature- he is easy to shot-block), and that's why he was given limited playing time before Juwan arrived. Now that Juwan is here, Trent's playing time is totally gone except some pity time here and there... he's being kept around as insurance in case of injury, and frankly, I don't think he's earned any decent amount of PT since he's recovered from injury. He seems like he could do more in different circumstances, but I don't think he fits in here in Dallas, and I would expect him to sign with a different team next year...
Old 03-12-2001, 04:34 PM   #31
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

If you were Gary Trent, why would you want to come back? Think about it. He plays power forward. You have a more skilled player in Juwan Howard starting. At certain times, Dirk will be playing power forward. Harvey is a young and talented player that will command some time at forward. Wang is about to become a Mav, you know Nellie loves him. There just isn't going to be any playing time for Gary next year. If he wants to stay here, he is going to be buried deep on the bench. Yes, Nellie said that Trent is valued but he has to say that. He's not going to sat there and say that they won't be needing Trent's services next year until after the season is over. Nellie and Cuban treat the players better than that. He's going to give Trent some chances to play this year but so far...Trent has shown very little. Yes, he has been given some chances. He's even had a few spot starts. But with the players returning next year, Trent can't figure in the long term plans of this team. He can only play one position and that is Power Forward. They are loaded at the PF position.
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 11:52 PM   #32
dallmav

I totally agree. I believe he will be involved in a sign and trade next year to a team such as orlando that he will have alot of minutes. I just hope we get a player that we can use in return.
Old 03-27-2001, 03:45 PM   #33
derek harper

derek harper is on a distinguished road

i really hope trent stays, but look for him to head north this summmer. possibly seattle .
derek harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 07:10 PM   #34
thirdbse

thirdbse is on a distinguished road

Trent had a cast put on his foot according to the morning news. The cast was put on his foot yesterday i think. its in todays morning news
thirdbse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 07:41 PM   #35
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Star-Telegram has an article about Trent today. Says he's done for the year. Like he was gonna play anyways [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] .

Old 03-27-2001, 10:36 PM   #36
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

Well, it was fun Gary, but it's time to part ways...
Old 03-28-2001, 09:14 AM   #37
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

dj, thats simply nelson trying up his value for a sign and trade
Old 03-28-2001, 09:21 AM   #38
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

FCC...that's exactly what the mavs want to do...
just like they are saying all of the right things to finley (most of which he deserves to hear) so that they can re-sign him. feeding his ego (i know finley's a great guy,..but, who doesn't like to hear wonderful things about themselves in the from the coach and the owner).
as an organization, the mavs are doing a good job of saying all of the right things right now to make sure that the re-sign finley...to try and make sure tha trent doesn't lose all of his value...
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 07:54 PM   #39
Jordan23TX

Jordan23TX is on a distinguished road

Trent will be given a modest contract by Cuban then included in some type of sign n trade...Remember Im sure Nelson gave him a *wink wink* deal a few years ago when they were groveling to keep Trent here. I saw on the Orlando Rant Boards that would love to have Trent there. I wouldnt mind trying to see if the 76ers would be interested in swopping Trent for Lynch. Lynch is a hustler & rebounder....he can play both forward positions. Btw, George Lynch lives in Plano. So he probably wouldnt mind it in the least bit to come home to play. But I understand that Lynch is a favorite of Larry Brown.
Old 03-29-2001, 03:54 AM   #40
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

Orlando, L.a., and Miami are interested in Trent ... and most other teams for that matter, i can't wait for the bidding to begin.