Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-28-2001, 10:30 AM   #1
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

This ones gonna be tough. Hopefully Dirk's not too beatup after the Utah game. We need him to have a big game. Howard's gotta step up. Eisley too.

Mavs 94
Blazers 105

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2001, 10:49 AM   #2
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

the mavs aren't getting crap out of the backup guard positions.
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 07:20 PM   #3
thirdbse

thirdbse is on a distinguished road

I think that we will have a little ShowTime tonight.
I usually bet my morning coffee with a guy who is a good game picker.
He didnt want to take portland today but did.

Free coffee tomorrow
thirdbse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 09:25 PM   #4
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

the start is pretty close...
Old 03-28-2001, 11:39 PM   #5
dallmav

dallmav is on a distinguished road

Hell yea what a huge win. Dirk needs to wear a armored helmet.
Damn their trying to kill him
dallmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 11:43 PM   #6
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Man, this team suprises me more and more every day. We're not supposed to be this good are we. I'll take it though because I love it.

Utah X
Portland X
Lakers next.

Old 03-28-2001, 11:47 PM   #7
dallmav

I never thought that we would start this road trip 2 and O. I thought maybe 1-1. Hell, now Im hoping for a sweep. The one team that is really going to be tough is sacramento. Hell 4 and 1 will be great.
Old 03-28-2001, 11:47 PM   #8
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

BEAT LA! BEAT LA! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 11:48 PM   #9
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

I was seriously thought that a 2-3 road trip would have been good this trip.

Old 03-28-2001, 11:49 PM   #10
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Same here. And I still do..whatever wins the Mavs pick up the rest of the way will be icing on the cake [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 11:57 PM   #11
dallmav

We definitely need to beat the lakers here. I hate those asswhipes.
Old 03-29-2001, 02:34 AM   #12
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Whoa we rock. Time to mix it up with the bad boyz- if we beat the Lakers not only do we overtake them and give us a huge mental edge, but we are in the position for HOME COURT ADVANTAGE. Booyaka
Old 03-29-2001, 04:08 AM   #13
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

i say we loose to houston and L.a.
Old 03-29-2001, 01:16 PM   #14
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Lakers will be angry and out for blood after the embaressment Sacramento gave them last night. I really want this game--I don't want to see the Mavs swept by the Lakers, and if we win it that will leave two games against the Kings to have won at least once against every other team in the league. But I think 3 in a row, on the road, against the Jazz, Blazers, and Lakers is just too much to ask.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 01:22 PM   #15
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

the thing about when the mavs matchup against the lakers, the lakers role players always seem to come up big...regardless of how some of them have been playing..whether it's penberthy, fox, or anyone else...they always seem to get alot of production from the role players.

if kobe is out, the game looks alot more winnable. no matter how much fighting there might be between shaq and kobe, they always seem to find a way to play well and together and do enough to edge out the mavs...very frustrating
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 01:24 PM   #16
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

If Kobe is out again, then I think the Mavs are the distinct favorites for the game. Yeah, Shaq will go off on us, but everyone else will not be able to give any serious contributions. Center is our only weakspot. I'll give up 40, hell even 50 points to Shaq and keep everyone else in single digits for the win.

Our confidence is sky-high right now. The Lakers are having serious internal trouble betwee Shaq/Kobe/Phil. I think it will be an easier game than Portland. Hell, everyone on Portland's roster could start for most other teams.

My prediction: 110-96 Mavs win!
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 04:14 PM   #17
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I hate to dampen everyone's hopes, however the percentage of teams who lose their third road game is something around 70% this season. It's very hard to do when you think about it, these players are on the road through this stretch, they don't get a chance to sleep in their own beds, so it wouldn't surprise me if they are unable to pull this one out. It sucks too because I think we need this one to be honest.
Old 03-29-2001, 05:10 PM   #18
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

The Mavs play the lakers all, all wrong. I have faith in Nellie and he knows a whole hell of a lot more about basketball than I do, but here's the way I look at the lakers...

They have two main weaknesses, as far as I can tell: Shaq's free throw shooting, and transition defense. When we foul Shaq on every posession we lost the fastbreak, we slow down the game tremendously, we allow the laker geriatrics to rest, we force our foul-plagued big men to play with caution on the defensive end, and all in all we're thrown out of our rhythm. Plus we double team Shaq but only single-team kobe... kobe lights us up every time he plays us, particularly in the second half. I say we leave Shaq alone, let him get his points, double team kobe to force the ball out of his hands, play the roleplayers honestly, and run our asses off. All the lakers besides kobe have achy bones and hate having to run the floor. If we tucker out their undersized three-point shooting hatchetmen, Fox, Horry, Penberthy, George, etc., then I think we can take this game. The truth is, when Shaq does everything he can to hit his freethrows against Dallas, the Hack-a-Shaq just doesn't work for us any more...
Old 03-29-2001, 05:23 PM   #19
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

Ouch. That was an interesting stat, so I checked out the Mavs record:

6 game road trip - Loss to Phoenix - 4/2 overall
4 game road trip - Loss to LA Lakers - 1/3 overall
6 game road trip - Loss to Indiana - 4/2 overall
5 game road trip - Win to Chicago - 4/1 overall
3 game road trip - Loss to San Antonio - 2/1 overall
5 game road trip - ???? to LA Lakers - 2/0 so far

So, we are a whopping 20% for our third game of an at least 3-game road trip. BUT, I think we are a helluva lot stronger personel-whise and playing as a team.

So, I still believe if Kobe doesn't play we win. If he does, then it's a 50/50 chance with the difference being just a few points.
Old 03-29-2001, 05:32 PM   #20
dallaslaker

I agree, the up-tempo games screw with LA like crazy. They are just too slow to keep up with 3 or 4 guys running the court. And the Hack-a-Shaq is an extremely slow-tempo game. Plus, before last night's 7 of 98 from the line, Shaq was shooting 70%. This is standard for him. Towards the end of the season he starts making FT's realizing how important they are for close games.

Go with our up-tempo, Nash flying down, Finley on one side, Nowitski on the other, and Howard bringing up the rear for the put back type of game.

I don't know if you guys watched the Lakers last night, but Fox was completely out of his game because the guy's he was guarding just went off on him. Fox will not be able to guard Nowitski. Shaw (Kobe out) cannot even begin to guard Finley. Nash is too fast for even the speedy Fisher. Shaq.... oh well, he'll get 35 to 40 w/ 15 boards.

No Kobe = 10 point win for the Mavs.
Yes Kobe = extremely good game, flip a coin