Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-24-2005, 05:30 PM   #1
zima22

zima22 is on a distinguished road
Default henderson back to mavs?

the ticket is sayinging there is an understanding that the bucks will release hendu so he can resign with the mavs
zima22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: henderson back to mavs?

Seems kind of iffy to me. Almost a circumvention of the rules. I have no idea if it could happen or not, but wouldn't mind if it does. I liked Hendu just fine.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:40 PM   #3
zima22

Default RE:henderson back to mavs?

this would work cap wise if the bucks bought out AH contract and he cleared waviers. At that point the mavs could re sign him for the vets min. AH would still get his money, bucks get thier cap room, and mavs get thier glue guy
Old 02-24-2005, 05:43 PM   #4
Steve13

Steve13 will become famous soon enoughSteve13 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Seems kind of iffy to me. Almost a circumvention of the rules. I have no idea if it could happen or not, but wouldn't mind if it does. I liked Hendu just fine.
the same happened with the sheed trade..hunter was waived and went back to the pistons
Old 02-24-2005, 05:43 PM   #5
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Is this allowed? Would he still have to clear waivers?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:44 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Good point steve. Just seemed to circumvent the intent. I wouldn't mind one bit if he came back.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:45 PM   #7
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds very iffy, would the league even approve this? I'm waiting for someone knowledgeable enough about the rules of the CBA to comment on this.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:48 PM   #8
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

As someone pointed out, it happened last year with Detroit and Lindsey Hunter. Of course, Henderson would have to clear waivers (which he will, I would think) and he could choose to go anywhere in the league.

But practically, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back playing in Dallas before Damp returns from the IR.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:48 PM   #9
zima22

AH would clear waviers b/c nobody is going to want or has room for his contract then he would be free to sign with the team of his chioce like ZO
Old 02-24-2005, 05:49 PM   #10
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Doesn't it seem like this trade came out of nowhere? We all knew Hendu had an expiring contract but did anyone think we'd trade him this trade deadline? This deal seems like it wouldn't have gotten done without a understanding Hendu would get cut by the Hawks.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:53 PM   #11
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

If the Bucks indeed waive him, Mavs would have to wait for at least 2 days (?) before signing him. During that period, a team with a lesser record than the Mavs could sign him. Something similiar happened with Elden Campbell when he was traded to the Jazz for Carlos Arroyo. Jazz waive him. Campbell wanted to sign back with Detroit and Detroit wanted him back. But the Nets swooped in and signed him 5min before the time expired.

I do hope we get Hendu back as he's a real nice guy and one who plays well within his limitations.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:56 PM   #12
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Doesn't it seem like this trade came out of nowhere? We all knew Hendu had an expiring contract but did anyone think we'd trade him this trade deadline? This deal seems like it wouldn't have gotten done without a understanding Hendu would get cut by the Hawks.
I suppose you meant the Bucks.

V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:58 PM   #13
zima22

is two days how long the wavier wire process is?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:08 PM   #14
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Yeah. No one is going to pony up the prorated portion of $8.2M to claim Henderson off waivers. Which is just ridiculous money, BTW. If Henderson did get released, fall through waivers and got picked back up for the league minimum by the Mavs, that would save the Bucks a prorated share of $1.1M.

Bucks are not going anywhere, what do they care. If all that goes down, then it is basically KVH for Calvin Booth and cash. Which on a pure talent level is probably one of the most lopsided trades in league history.

Edit: So a prorated of $8.2M-$1.1M is guess what? Almost exactly $3M.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:10 PM   #15
duyduck

duyduck is on a distinguished road

I was reading on espn boards, and it is true, the GM of the Bucks, is Del Harris' son. This deal keeps getting better and better.
duyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:11 PM   #16
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Why? What the hell do we need Henderson for anymore?
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:33 PM   #17
zima22

why would you not want AH? thats stupid
Old 02-24-2005, 06:33 PM   #18
Redbug

Redbug is on a distinguished road

.........so Bradley can keep his reserved seat on the bench......ape[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Redbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:37 PM   #19
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

The only reason I wouldn't want him, would be to see Benga get more minutes. What was the point in signing him and Pavel again?

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:40 PM   #20
Frost

Frost is on a distinguished road

Please God,

Let this be true. DevinHarriswillstart you have a really good point about Mbenga but I think Henderson is a huge leader in the locker room and that is why I want him back.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:40 PM   #21
zima22

Benga and Pavel Podkolzin were signed for the future more so than the present. I think Pavel is still recovering from surgery for a thiriod.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:23 PM   #22
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

Regarding the procedure if Henderson is WAIVED by the Bucks ...

1. Yes it would be legal. It has been done before, and the league doesnt care.
2. The Bucks would place AH on "waivers" which means they are releasing him, and any team can claim him and take his contract. If more than one team claims him, he goes to the team with the worst record.
3. For a team to make a claim, they must have cap room for him. By my understanding, the amount of cap room is his salary for this season (the full season, not the remainder), just like in a trade since this is an assignment of contract. This was how NJ got Campbell - they claimed him during the waivers period, and had cap room to do so. (They actually had a trade exception they used, rather than cap room.)
4. Almost no team has cap room for Henderson (over 8M) so he would clear waivers.
5. Once he clears waivers, he can sign with any team he chooses. He becomes a free agent.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 07:38 PM   #23
Frost

A reporter just asked Don Nelson during the 6 PM pree conference to annouce the trade if there was a chance that Hendu could be back assuming that teh Bucks send him to waivers, and he said they would take a strong look at it. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:46 PM   #24
zima22

did nelson say when van horn would suit up?
Old 02-24-2005, 08:01 PM   #25
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: zima22
did nelson say when van horn would suit up?
i'm sure he'll be ready on saturday against the suns, unless his ankle is not permit
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:03 PM   #26
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

If Hendu comes back, Little Nellie gets GM of the year.

He gets nothing for Nash.

He gets Terry, Hendu, Dampier and Van Horn for Walker, Najara and Fortson. Harris and Stack for Jamison.

He contends for a title with the point guard of the future still a rookie, 2 super sophmores and a superstar under 30. What a foundation for the future.

I'm impressed.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:15 PM   #27
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

All I'm saying is, look at your needs. Do you need a stumblebum journeman elderly forward who'd be buried behind two all-star caliber power forwards? You have one roster spot. Spend it wisely.

So... what's our weakness now? I think we have sufficient depth in the frontcourt. Thanks Henderson... have a nice retirement.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:16 PM   #28
zima22

so whos a better fit madape?
Old 02-24-2005, 08:18 PM   #29
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

well if we could sign him for 2-3 years at veteran minimum, he would be a guy to have around.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 07:48 AM   #30
DirtyDirk#41

DirtyDirk#41 is on a distinguished road

This From Dallas Morning News:

There is a good chance the Mavericks will be reacquiring Henderson, the only player on the team who had played in all 52 games before Thursday. Bucks officials said they plan on waiving Henderson without him going to Milwaukee. If that happens, Henderson would be available on waivers for 48 business hours.

Assuming nobody claims him, which is unlikely given his $8.273 million salary slot, the Mavericks could re-sign him to a minimum contract next week.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....dd770ed4.html

Also this From the Milwaukee Journal today:

It's doubtful that the new players will have much impact on this season's team, as Henderson will be waived and Booth and Gaines will be little more than third-string players. But the Bucks feel that their future beyond this season is much brighter because of the financial flexibility they gained through the trades.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/feb05/304390.asp
DirtyDirk#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:22 AM   #31
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
All I'm saying is, look at your needs. Do you need a stumblebum journeman elderly forward who'd be buried behind two all-star caliber power forwards? You have one roster spot. Spend it wisely.

So... what's our weakness now? I think we have sufficient depth in the frontcourt. Thanks Henderson... have a nice retirement.
In an ideal world, we could add a defensive minded guard who could shoot the three, but our only options to fill that roster spot are off the street free agents or Alan Henderson. If any of those guys were of much use, then they'd be on a roster now. And we are talking about the 10 to 12th man, here.

Henderson knows the system and the players better than anybody we could pick up off the street, save possibly activating Avery Johnson, which won't happen. If Henderson can get back here, we should take him.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 02-25-2005, 09:27 AM   #32
Dooby
Diamond Member

At the press conference, when asked about this, Donnie said, "We'd have to get very lucky for that to happen." Which seems like a very odd answer. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but it seems to suggest that they'd do it, but can't let on for fear of angering the league.

Old 02-25-2005, 09:33 AM   #33
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

Payton is about to be a free agent, he would give us that toughness the TNT jackasses seem to think we need, but hey after watching the 2002 Mavs defense last night, I want Hendu back. I'm slightly pissed and I'm praying for Damp.

Stressboy
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 11:34 AM   #34
zima22

we could get both players if we wavied DA but I think that is unlikly
Old 02-25-2005, 12:07 PM   #35
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

If we were gunna waive DA, we might as well of traded him. I dont think that anyone is going to be waived at this point... TAW is the only possibility.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:13 PM   #36
Frost

I really like DA..hes such a class act and plays his heart out when he gets on the court
Old 02-25-2005, 12:48 PM   #37
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

1) We DO NOT want Gary effing Payton on this team.

2) Its so good to hear reports that Milwaukee is indeed planning on waiving Hendu. If true, and the Mavs pick him up, Donnie and Cuban deserve some kind of award or something.

3) Is there any chance that Hendu gets waived and the Mavs decline to re-sign him?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:07 PM   #38
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

If we can get Henderson back, and pay him 400k (pro-rated veteran minimum) instead of 8.3million, you better think that Cuban would bite. It's just his business sense
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 03:41 PM   #39
Dooby
Diamond Member

On the Goodfellas *sigh*, Art Garcia and Newy and the other guy were talking that Hendu may not want to come back to Dallas and that other teams may be interested and basically said, "Why would he want to come back here?" I don't know if Hendu has a house or condo or apartment here or lives in a hotel or what, but it sure seems to me that staying here would be easier.

Old 02-25-2005, 03:59 PM   #40
Drbio
Banned

The more important question is why he would NOT want to come back. I think he likes Dallas.