Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-13-2002, 11:58 AM   #1
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

Well, I am far from an expert on either set of BB rules as I only know the basic differences about the lane and goal tending etc. Here are some questions for this group.

IS it time for our game to change to the international rules? I enjoyed the World games but did the rules have an effect on the quality of the team play we wittnessed? What am I missing guys?

I know we have a good international flavor on this forum with Fidel, SL and a bunch more, so can we have an old fashioned, non-angry discussion of the positives and negatives of each system. Darn it we need something to talk about instead of insane trades, Lewis, agreeing that Dirk is the best player...etc.

I really would like to see the differences and understand if the time is here for us to change...I am positive many of you will have an opinion on this usbject.

Would it affect the street-baller style the NBA has declined into (IMO-BTW)? Or would it make our game worse? Lets have some fun on this idea...I think we all might enjoy an old fashioned BASKETBALL topic...Just a thought.
pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2002, 12:47 PM   #2
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I liked the wider lane. Haven't paid all that much attention to it before, but it seems to open things up under the basket.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 02:43 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I liked the different goal tending rule. Good stuff.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 02:58 PM   #4
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i liked the ball movement, the crisp passing, the fact that they barely ran an iso, the simple screen and rolls, the pick and rolls, the pick and pops, the fundamentals.

then i watched team usa, and i almost puked.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 05:38 PM   #5
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

If i remember correctly (which there is a large chance I don't)
The goal tending rule is something along the lines of knocking it off the cylander isn't goal
tending? Well I know thats the rule in Australia, but it just wouldn't work in the NBA, no one would ever score. It's a bit different here, there is probably only a handful of guys that could actually do it.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 01:55 AM   #6
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I don't like the shorter 3 point line. Too close, all we would see would be 3 after 3 after 3

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 02:31 AM   #7
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

agreed.
thats the problem in australia. we have ths closer 3pt, and i really think
we ought to move it out. the thing is the *real* three pointer shooters in
our league have usually gone to college in the US, some of them even played
some time in the NBA. they pull up at the imaginery NBA line anyway.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 09:23 AM   #8
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

The only international rule that I didn't like was the 24 second shot violation. If the shooter shoots it just before the 24 second buzzer, the ball has to go in, otherwise it's a turnover. If it bounces off the rim, it's a turnover an the ball is dead. This prevents the defensive team from starting a fast break or the offensive team from having a put-back. In fact after reviewing the WC games, FIBA is contemplating on changing the 24 second rule to match the NBA. I do like the goal tending rules though...it's pretty cool...
Old 09-16-2002, 11:30 AM   #9
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Agree about the 24 second violation, Maringa.

Just one more thing for those bozo zebras to screw up.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 11:45 AM   #10
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

The shorter three-point line does suck, that's why I don't watch college ball that much, either.. college threes are WAY too short. FIBA ought to move it out to NBA distance.

I don't like the goaltending rules. It's too easy to just jump up and take a ball of the rim. The only reason they get away with it without ruining the game in Europe is because historically the players have not had as much above-the-rim athleticism. As time goes on, I think you will see the goaltending rules reconsidered.

If you did that in America, where all the guys can do is jump high and can't shoot, it would just be a contest to see who could take more bricks off the rim. The final score of a Nuggets/Clippers game this coming season would be 31-25.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 12:47 PM   #11
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

Yes, but you would have to love having any oportunity to slap a Shaquille O'Neal free throw attempt for a fast break going the other way!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2002, 12:52 PM   #12
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

I agree with the shorter 3

(I dislike the 3 point shot BTW - it has effected the quality of passing and running plays as much as anything expect dunking which is the ulimate "LOOK AT ME AREN'T I GREAT" move that is such a poor part of the game now-a-days) Heck hardly anyone shoots 15 foot jumps much any more.

I agree with the goal tend, it would not work here, but what about the wider lane?

Would that open up the game or kill defensive centers? What effect would it have on Shaq for instance?

pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote