Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-07-2002, 02:27 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I find this hard to believe.

Jazz nix Russell-Ostertag trade to Wizards
Added: 7th September, 2002

Tim Buckley of the Desert News reports that the Jazz have refused another sign and trade proposal for free agent swingman Bryon Russell. This latest deal reportedly would have sent a re-signed Russell and Greg Ostertag to the Wizards in exchange for Christian Laettner, Chris Whitney and perhaps another player.

There have been other trade proposals involving Russell this summer but the Jazz have refused to make a deal. They have also refused to offer a contract to Russell. Ostertag have been the subject of trade talks since last summer. It is believed that Laettner’s expensive contract coupled with the fact Utah would have been left short in the middle contributed to the proposal being nixed.

By acquiring Whitney, a Clemson product who has played seven of his nine NBA seasons in Washington, the Jazz could have addressed their need for backup help behind John Stockton. Instead, while waiting for final word on the medical fate of 2001 first-round draft choice Raul Lopez, they will continue to scour the free-agent market for a reserve point.

Top candidates include free agent Damon Jones, who played last season in Detroit; veteran John Crotty, who has had two stints in Utah but was plagued by knee injuries while playing this past two seasons for the Jazz; Carlos Arroyo, a guard for the Puerto Rican World Championship team who played for both Toronto and Denver as an NBA rookie last season; and possible training-camp invitee William Avery, a former member of the Minnesota Timberwolves who played for Utah's summer-league team in July.

Old 09-07-2002, 11:50 PM   #2
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

I also find it hard to believe, seems like a good deal for the JAZZ...They talk about Christian's contract but Ostertag's is huge given his play. I think Utah would jump at this.

The Wiz...would come out OK as well since they clearly want Russell and Ostertag would be huge in the undersized East...

Just does not make sense if this was offered, it seems both would go you it...IMO...

pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 03:44 PM   #3
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

That can't be true. Why would the wizards trade one of the best free throw and 3pt shooters in Whitney, and Laettner, for 2 has beens.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 09:29 PM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

<< That can't be true. Why would the wizards trade one of the best free throw and 3pt shooters in Whitney, and Laettner, for 2 has beens. >>

There are a couple reasons. First, they rid of Laettner's contract, the highest paid member with 2 years remaining.

Second, they can afford to trade Whitney because they have Juan Dixon, Tyronne Lue, Larry Hughes, Hubert Davis, Richard Hamilton and Juan Navarro to cover the guard positions.

Whitney only has 1 year left on his contract and this helps them land Russell and give the Jazz something in return.

The only reason I can think of that they'd take back Ostertag is that he only has 1 year left on his contract and being in the East, he'll help fill up the middle.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:22 PM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Wizards signed Russell to a 2 year deal today.

Wizards sign Bryon Russell

September 10, 2002

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Washington Wizards signed guard Bryon Russell on Tuesday, ending his nine-year stay with the Utah Jazz.

The Wizards were expected to officially announce the signing at an afternoon news conference.

The 31-year-old Russell is expected to play small forward, allowing Michael Jordan to move to shooting guard.

It was Russell that Jordan, now the Wizards' president of basketball operations, fired his winning shot over to clinch the 1998 NBA championship -- the Chicago Bulls' sixth in eight years.

Russell averaged 9.6 points last season and 9.2 for his career.