Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-03-2006, 12:47 PM   #1
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default Arrogance? Mavericks?

Mavs' arrogance impressed Memphis' Jackson

Grizzlies guard says seeing new Mavericks in action is believing

12:38 AM CDT on Wednesday, May 3, 2006

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
Did the Mavericks grow up right in front of our eyes by sweeping the first-round series against Memphis?
That's the way Grizzlies guard Bobby Jackson sees it. As a player who has never been quick to praise any opponents, least of all the Mavericks, Jackson said he saw a different team in the first round.
"I was shocked how they played us and the confidence they had," Jackson said. "They were arrogant, and that's how you have to be. They had that mentality of 'I'm going in the arena and beat their [expletive].' We didn't have that."

Avery Johnson often says only one opinion of the Mavericks matters – his. But he said Tuesday that he did notice what Jackson said.
"There are certain individuals whose opinion we respect," Johnson said. "I saw some of what he saw."
Johnson reiterated that he saw more grit from his team in Game 3 than at any other time. Jason Terry agreed.
"We were very resilient," he said. "It says a lot more about our character."
Good news: The Mavericks found out Tuesday that Marquis Daniels (strained right hamstring) should be available at the start of the second-round series.
Johnson said he wasn't sure whether Daniels would get much practice time. But he will be cleared to play, barring setbacks, at the start of the next round – likely Sunday if the Spurs-Kings series ends in six games.
Meanwhile, Keith Van Horn will find out how his right hand looks when it is X-rayed today. Johnson said the team hopes to have him available sometime during the second-round series.
Fun with the Grizzlies: It didn't take long for Memphians to jump off their Grizzlies' bandwagon. In particular, Shane Battier caught the brunt of criticism. On a couple of morning sports radio shows, he was referred to as "Shane Bustier."
In praise of Damp: Terry said that even though Dirk Nowitzki averaged more than 31 points in the first round, he wasn't the MVP of the series.
"I'm looking at Erick Dampier and seeing what he did on Pau Gasol all series long, making it tough on him, all the rebounds he got," Terry said of the backup center. "He was a big factor."
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Damp? Series MVP?

Jet? Crazy?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

And if Memphis don't want no Shane Bustier no more, I have an idea of a team that might could use him.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
And if Memphis don't want no Shane Bustier no more, I have an idea of a team that might could use him.

Really? Who?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:06 PM   #5
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

I wonder how many diamonds it'll take to spell out S-O-F-T on a championship ring?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:11 PM   #6
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"I'm looking at Erick Dampier and seeing what he did on Pau Gasol all series long, making it tough on him, all the rebounds he got," Terry said of the backup center. "He was a big factor."
this quote does not equal JT calling damp the MVP of the series....I wonder if he said that or if the writer just put words in his mouth?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:05 PM   #7
greensborohill

greensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the rough
Default !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
I wonder how many diamonds it'll take to spell out S-O-F-T on a championship ring?

quote of the day
Old 05-03-2006, 02:36 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Damn straight. Those fans are idiots for singling out BAttier. That guy is a ball player.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #9
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I was a little disappointed (as someone who's always liked Battie) that he wasn't a little more aggressive offensively in that series, but he's definitely quality. I'd love to have him on the Mavs.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:37 PM   #10
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I'll trade anyone not named Dirk, Josh, Damp or Diop for Battier. Pau Gasol and Mike Miller are the guys that should be getting their assed chewed by the media in Memphis. I guess Battier is the scapegoat of the Grizzlies.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:38 PM   #11
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Give me Battier over Stackhouse any day of the friggin week.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:47 PM   #12
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
Give me Battier over Stackhouse any day of the friggin week.

HELL YES. amen brother.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:01 PM   #13
Jerry Stackhouse

Jerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to allJerry Stackhouse is a name known to all

I agree with Jet that Dirk was probably not the MVP of the first round. What Kobe has done to elevate the Lakers has been amazing. I love Kobe Bryant.
Jerry Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:03 PM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we all know that you value the rapist over your own teammate.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-03-2006 at 04:04 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:10 PM   #15
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Arrogance? Mavericks?
About TIME.................
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:40 PM   #16
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default Battier

I don't like him. I'd rather keep stack. Stack is a leader and a slasher. Battier will battle but the Mavs already have 3 monsters and Dirk to do that. I'll keep Stack to cut up the defense thank you.

Battier is also a dumb player.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:16 PM   #17
skimpy

skimpy will become famous soon enough

I actually live in Memphis and haven't heard a single Grizz fan bag on Battier. It's universal love for him. Pau, on the other hand, shouldn't been seen outside right now.
skimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:38 PM   #18
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Quote:
Damp? Series MVP?

Jet? Crazy?
IMO he is building up his confidence. Dirk probably is aware that Jet is doing this also. Damp needs to feel loved. You could tell by what he said after game three. He said everyone in the locker room knows that they wouldn't have won the game without the rebound tip to Dirk to tie it up.

I say whatever props he needs to play at this level, let him have.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:56 PM   #19
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimpy
I actually live in Memphis and haven't heard a single Grizz fan bag on Battier. It's universal love for him. Pau, on the other hand, shouldn't been seen outside right now.
Good to know that Battier isn't getting reamed senselessly.

Pau is a good player, probably not at Dirk's level, but good nonetheless. He may be where Dirk was a couple of years ago on the experience curve. How he reponds in terms of continuing to improve his game is going to determine whether he is ultimately as a great player or merely a very good one.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:20 PM   #20
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

If defense wins games then dampiers defense on gasol was as big as anything else going on.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 05-03-2006 at 09:20 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote