Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #41
George Gervin

George Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
I don't think Memphis is a better team than Sacramento.

But then again, I do think Dallas is a better team than Sacramento, by a fair margin.

How are the Spurs doing against the Kings, anyway? Are the Kings, by any chance, giving the Spurs all they can handle?

Cheers

how have the mavs done historically against the spurs? anyway? have the spurs owned them? given them all they could handle?
George Gervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2006, 12:52 PM   #42
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Gervin
so the spurs are better than the mavs..scoreboard..
Correction:

The Spurs were better than the Mavs.

We shall see if that continues to hold water in a few weeks time (or maybe not, depending on how your series plays out).
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:55 PM   #43
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

GG i understand the Spin. If it was the mavs locked in a long series i would probably be doing the same spin. THe only problem is the spin is still wrong. The mavs are better right now than the spurs are. I will never discount the spurs because they have proven to be champions while the mavs havent YET but I do expect the mavs to win.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:01 PM   #44
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
how have the mavs done historically against the spurs? anyway? have the spurs owned them? given them all they could handle?
the Mavericks have, historically, done very poorly against the Spurs...

I particularly recall the latter part of game 6 of the Western Conference Finals a few years ago...Stephen Jackson and Steve Kerr really lit it up. Nick Van Exel and especially Michael Finley looked practically helpless in that game.

(whatever happened to Van Exel and Finley, anyway? are they still in the league?)

Fortunately that was then, and this is now.

Cheers

Last edited by alexamenos; 05-03-2006 at 01:11 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:27 PM   #45
101 6 7

101 6 7 will become famous soon enough101 6 7 will become famous soon enough

The difference between the series is game 3:

The Mavs won there close one.

Manu turned the ball over w/a lead and 4 seconds left; the Kings scored & won it.

3-0 lead w/game 5 back home is ALWAYS a sweep (why does opponent want to delay the inevitible)

2-1 gives cause and fight to the underdog; thus another tough game 4. Spurs will finish it in 6;

The series, until the end of game 3, were pretty similar; the outcome predictable after that.

Mavs - Spurs is going to be good, regardless of regular, or playoffs prior to it. Teams each have mismatches to exploit & try to contain.
101 6 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:31 PM   #46
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101 6 7
The difference between the series is game 3:

The Mavs won there close one.

Manu turned the ball over w/a lead and 4 seconds left; the Kings scored & won it.

3-0 lead w/game 5 back home is ALWAYS a sweep (why does opponent want to delay the inevitible)

2-1 gives cause and fight to the underdog; thus another tough game 4. Spurs will finish it in 6;

The series, until the end of game 3, were pretty similar; the outcome predictable after that.
Why does an opponent want to delay the inevitable? Because 3-0 isn't 4-0. A series isn't lost until it's lost, c'mon now.

And unless I'm mistaken, didn't the Spurs lost the NEXT game 102-84? I believe we refer to those as 'blowouts'. Do you also have a convulated explanation for that game?

Last edited by orangedays; 05-03-2006 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:33 PM   #47
Folterkammer

Folterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really nice

gervin your signature speaks for itself and if you just want to disrespect the team this board is all about just leave this place..
Old 05-03-2006, 01:39 PM   #48
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

with the caveat that I just float in and out of here from time to time myself...

gotta disagree with the following sentiment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folterkammer
gervin your signature speaks for itself and if you just want to disrespect the team this board is all about just leave this place..
Basketball and trashtalking go together like, ummm....., basketball and trashtalking.

let him bring all the smack he wants, so long as he doesn't whine about getting smacked back.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:45 PM   #49
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
Do you also have a convulated explanation for that game?
please let me get this straight....

In crunch time, Manu crumbles while Dirk steps up and drains the big shot. Spurs respond by getting their butts kicked, Mavs respond by kicking butts....

And the conclusion is that both teams are performing at about the same level.

Did I understand that argument correctly?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:50 PM   #50
TVI

TVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to all

Quote:
Very well stated.

It's funny, but I don't recall anyone harping about how bad the Grizz are until after the Mavs dominated the Grizz. And I certainly don't recall anyone carrying on about the Greatness of the Kings at halftime of Game 1 in that series.
The Grizz don't match up real well with Dallas. I expected that series to be short. And FWIW, I brought up the subject of Sacramento's deceiving 8th seeded position long before the playoffs started..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVI
Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by DirkGoesNuclear
Actually I'm thinking that the team that got screwed are the Spurs (by Phoenix). To get to the NBA finals, the best record team will have to face the 2nd and 3rd best record team. Phoenix (3rd best) will have to face (5th/6th) and then (1st/2nd). For Mavs, it's a push or better for us. Since we have to face 3rd and 1st either way, I'd rather take Spurs early after the Memphis series, instead of being run ragged by Suns with Spurs rested and lying in wait. IMO.
Not to mention that they get to face the Kings in the first round -- a team that is 25-14 since the Artest trade. How many #8 seeds are playing .640 ball? These guys wew 18-24 before the trade. If they were in the Northwest, they'd be competing with the Nuggets for the division title.
Quote:
And this idea floating about....the Spurs are going to gain some valuable experience and learn that it's a long-hard road to the NBA finals????? Experience? Gimmee a break -- they've won two out of the last three. They're not gaining experience, they're showing age and complacency.
There's something to be said about getting your playoff game going by facing a tougher opponent in the first round. However, I'm not sure I'd take that over rest, and time to prepare. I'd opt for the Mavs position right now (except for HCA in the second round).

Quote:
Here's a crazy possibility...

The Grizz looked like dog meat because the Mavs dominated them...

Bonzi Wells is having a hell of series because the Spurs are old, slow, and uninspired....
And here's another possibility: Bonzi is playing up to his potential (pick your reason: playoff excitement, new team, contract season, et. al.). He has always been a player with loads of talent. I put him into the same category as Rasheed Wallace -- a headcase who can suck, or be amazingly brilliant. Right now, he's playing inspired basketball, and the Kings are riding him for all he's worth.

I don't buy this talk about the Spurs being old and slow. As far as slow goes, Duncan's foot problems have been well documented this season, and that's not going to get better until he rests it for the summer. Parker and Ginobili are very quick. As far as old goes, their core three are 30 and under. Their only "old" players are all bench/role players who don't have to log major minutes, and the coach does a good job of spreading the minutes around.

The Spurs' weakness this year has been rebounding - particularly keeping opponents off the offensive boards, and Sacramento has done a good job exploiting that. Duncan's not going to be up to par, one of their centers is a slow BWS, and the other is inconsistent with hands of stone. Those guys are not effective against the Kings quicker line-ups, and Pop has been forced to adjust with his own version of "smallball" at times. Nonetheless, the Spurs are one silly turnover away from having closed this series out 4-1.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:57 PM   #51
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:

In crunch time, Manu crumbles while Dirk steps up and drains the big shot. Spurs respond by getting their butts kicked, Mavs respond by kicking butts....

The conclusion is that both teams are performing at about the same level, which is valid...up until and including Game 3. I welcomed him to explain Game 4. Perhaps you would like to?

Last edited by orangedays; 05-03-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:16 PM   #52
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is a typical Spurs fans arguement: We beat you in 2003 so we'll beat you in 2006. Maybe I'm reading the wrong board (Spurs Report) but I find the average Spurs fan to be lacking with it comes to anlayzing the game and the matchups that decide the outcome. TVI would be an exception here.

Quote:
Not to mention that they get to face the Kings in the first round -- a team that is 25-14 since the Artest trade. How many #8 seeds are playing .640 ball? These guys wew 18-24 before the trade. If they were in the Northwest, they'd be competing with the Nuggets for the division title.
Basically you're saying that if they played the full year at the post Artest pace (and that's making a big leap of faith) they'd be a 52 win team. Well a 63 win team is an elite team that should handle a 52 win team fairly eaisly. That's why I thought the Spurs would dispatch of the Kings in 4 or 5.

Bonzi is playing well but is should be a concern that he's hammering you guys on the glass the way he is. If you can't keep Bonzi off the boards then what are you going to do with Damp, Diop, Griffin and Howard? The Mavs are about as good as it gets when it comes to offensive rebounding if you give us all those extra possessions it's going to be a long series.

Last edited by dirno2000; 05-03-2006 at 02:17 PM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:24 PM   #53
George Gervin

George Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these parts

I have only thing left to say. I respect the Maverick team and should they beat the Spurs (pending they advance) I will admit they (Mavs) are the better team this year. What bothers the crap out of me is the lack of respect for the Spurs from Mav fans. They have earned it. And that's all I have to say about that.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:26 PM   #54
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

...and one lucky bounce (plus a coach screwup) from being down 3-2.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:35 PM   #55
George Gervin

[QUOTE=dirno2000]This is a typical Spurs fans arguement: We beat you in 2003 so we'll beat you in 2006. Maybe I'm reading the wrong board (Spurs Report) but I find the average Spurs fan to be lacking with it comes to anlayzing the game and the matchups that decide the outcome. TVI would be an exception here.

SO COMPARING BONZI TO THE MAVERICKS CENTERS IS AN ASTUTE OBSERVATION? SO WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH DUNCAN? HE IS PLAYING MUCH BETTER THAN HE HAS ALL SEASON. RELY ON SINGLE COVERAGE? HE'S EATING UP THE KINGS INTERIOR DEFENSE. It's going to be a long series if you think damp and diop will do anything but foul out every game. Bonzi is far mor physical than Howard by the way. Is that an acceptable observation? Oh wait Bonzi and Howard are different ypes of players with differing styles.. oh wait you just comparedc them as well.. very astute of you..

Last edited by George Gervin; 05-03-2006 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:39 PM   #56
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
SO COMPARING BONZI TO THE MAVERICKS CENTERS IS AN ASTUTE OBSERVATION? SO WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH DUNCAN? HE IS PLAYING MUCH BETTER THAN HE HAS ALL SEASON. RELY ON SINGLE COVERAGE? HE'S EATING UP THE KINGS INTERIOR DEFENSE.
dirno's point is that if the Spurs can't keep Bonzi off the glass, they will suffer worse at the hands of Howard and Griffin (same position, there happy?) - both excellent rebounders for their position.

And the Kings have NO interior defense. Brad Miller? Shareef? No comparison to Damp and Diop in terms of defensive prowess.

Last edited by orangedays; 05-03-2006 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #57
greensborohill

greensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I have only thing left to say. I respect the Maverick team and should they beat the Spurs (pending they advance) I will admit they (Mavs) are the better team this year. What bothers the crap out of me is the lack of respect for the Spurs from Mav fans. They have earned it. And that's all I have to say about that.

I think you are mistaking our optimisim for disrespect. Tempers only flaired after you started posting. .
Old 05-03-2006, 02:45 PM   #58
George Gervin

Quote:
dirno's point is that if the Spurs can't keep Bonzi off the glass, they will suffer worse at the hands of Howard and Griffin (same position, there happy?) - both excellent rebounders for their position.

And the Kings have NO interior defense. Brad Miller? Shareef? No comparison to Damp and Diop in terms of defensive prowess.

Bonzi has created a nightmare matchup that has created havoc with our defense. He is bigger than all of our swing guys and is much more physical. My point was that none of the Mavs wing players are even close to his rugged style so to compare him and Howard or Griffen is not very accurate. They are completely different players so you cannot compare them.

There is no one outside of KG and Sheed that can defend Duncan one on one. So if the mavs are assuming that all of sudden the mavs big guys can go one on one good luck.

Last edited by George Gervin; 05-03-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #59
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
SO COMPARING BONZI TO THE MAVERICKS CENTERS IS AN ASTUTE OBSERVATION? SO WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH DUNCAN? HE IS PLAYING MUCH BETTER THAN HE HAS ALL SEASON. RELY ON SINGLE COVERAGE? HE'S EATING UP THE KINGS INTERIOR DEFENSE.
Who doesn't eat up the Kings interior defense? They're interior defense consists of Brad Miller and SAR! You probably think Miller is better than Damp because he can shoot right. The thing is, Duncan can get wherever he wants to get on the floor because Miller so physically weak.

Quote:
It's going to be a long series if you think damp and diop will do anything but foul out every game. Bonzi is far mor physical than Howard by the way. Is that an acceptable observation? Oh wait Bonzi and Howard are different ypes of players with differing styles.. oh wait you just comparedc them as well.. very astute of you..
You've hit on one of my concerns. Although Diop and Damp in much better equiped than Miller to handle Duncan there are the star calls to worry about. The good thing is that between them we have 12 fouls and Duncan isn't a good FT shooter. I'll take my chances with him beating me before I double. I'm more concerned about the 3-point shooters and slashers then I am Duncan going for 40.

And you're right, Bonzi is more physical than Howard but Howard has more help. Plus you guys haven't been able to defend howard this year. You took control of game 3 when he was in foul trouble. He was +14 in that game.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:54 PM   #60
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
My point was that none of the Mavs wing players are even close to his rugged style so to compare him and Howard or Griffen is not very accurate. They are completely different players so you cannot compare them.
My point is, you guys can't keep Bonzi off the offensive glass and we have multiple players who will hurt you there.

Quote:
There is no one outside of KG and Sheed that can defend Duncan one on one. So if the mavs are assuming that all of sudden the mavs big guys can go one on one good luck.
That's not true this year.

Like I said, I'd take my chance with him before I let you shoot uncontested 3's all game.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #61
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget Sacto was missing its best player for a game. Spurs are lucky to be up 3-2.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #62
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Tim Duncan versus the Mavs this year (and this does go to the regular season)
14.8 ppg
40% shooting
10 rpg

Tim Duncan versus Sac this year
19 ppg
45% shooting
13 rpg

Dallas held Tim Duncan to his lowest stats for the entire year out of every team, except for Washington.

I think Dallas can handle Timmy.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:57 PM   #63
George Gervin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
Who doesn't eat up the Kings interior defense? They're interior defense consists of Brad Miller and SAR! You probably think Miller is better than Damp because he can shoot right. The thing is, Duncan can get wherever he wants to get on the floor because Miller so physically weak.

You've hit on one of my concerns. Although Diop and Damp in much better equiped than Miller to handle Duncan there are the star calls to worry about. The good thing is that between them we have 12 fouls and Duncan isn't a good FT shooter. I'll take my chances with him beating me before I double. I'm more concerned about the 3-point shooters and slashers then I am Duncan going for 40.

And you're right, Bonzi is more physical than Howard but Howard has more help. Plus you guys haven't been able to defend howard this year. You took control of game 3 when he was in foul trouble. He was +14 in that game.

Both teams present problems for the other. Whomever adjusts during the series with more success will win the series. Of course all of my ranting and raving will be for naught if we don't beat The Sacramento Wells/Artests

Last edited by George Gervin; 05-03-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:04 PM   #64
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bonzi has created a nightmare matchup that has created havoc with our defense. He is bigger than all of our swing guys and is much more physical. My point was that none of the Mavs wing players are even close to his rugged style so to compare him and Howard or Griffen is not very accurate. They are completely different players so you cannot compare them.
Weren't we talking about rebounding? I think the comparison is very valid, all three are above-average rebounders for their position. And I don't want to split hairs with you but Bonzi is 6'5, 210. Maybe one of the Spurs' weaknesses is a none-too-tough perimeter?

Quote:
I daresay nobody can defend Duncan one-on-one (or at least could not defend him, he's not the same player this year). He is one of those special players like Dirk, LeBron, Kobe, etc. who will get his no matter what the opposing coach/defense does. That being said, the comparison is a relative one between the Mavs' interior defense and the Kings' interior defense.

To simplify for you: Mavs > Kings when it comes to interior defense. Duncan will probably still score, but it will be much more difficult so it would be a mistake to dismiss what we bring to the table.

Last edited by orangedays; 05-03-2006 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #65
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

ATTENTION GEORGE GERVIN!!!!!!!

Since you have been ignoring my PM's I have to do this publicly. Your signature is in violation of D-M.com's community standards regarding Harrasment. You need to change it. And do it quickly.

Thank you...

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 05-03-2006 at 03:08 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:10 PM   #66
George Gervin

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
ATTENTION GEORGE GERVIN!!!!!!!

Since you have been ignoring my PM's I have to do this publicly. Your signature is in violation of D-M.com's community standards regarding Harrasment. You need to change it. And do it quickly.

Thank you...

Complimenting someone's intelligence is harassment?.

Actually I have tried but I am unable to get back to my profile to do it. Hurry back!!

As my 3 yr old son says when he finishes his meal.... " All done!"

Last edited by George Gervin; 05-03-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:13 PM   #67
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Complimenting someone's intelligence is harassment?.

Actually I have tried but I am unable to get back to my profile to do it. Hurry back!!
I handled it for you. Next time try a reply to a PM so I don't think I'm being ignored.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #68
George Gervin

Quote:
I handled it for you. Next time try a reply to a PM so I don't think I'm being ignored.

I will respond when requested.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:20 PM   #69
101 6 7

Quote:

Pretty much, yes.

Time and again, when the Spurs win the first three, they sweep - notable exception being Phoenix last season; but the 4th game, which Phoenix won, was in SA - they were going home for 5, not on the road.

Also, nothing new here; when the Spurs win the first 2, then lose 3 (usually close), they get blown out in game 4. Seattle, LA, Sac, etc. etc.

If Sac was down 3-0, needing to beat SA 4 STRAIGHT TIMES including 2 in San Antonio, ala Memphis v. Dallas game 4 - something that has never been done before, the fight just isn't there, and the opponent rolls over. Win 3, get one free. Makes it a shorter series.

The Spurs screwed up & let Sacramento into a series that was just about done. Now they are in somewhat of a fight. But 6 game series are common for the Spurs. 2 last season, 4 in the '03 championship run.

So when I say, the Spurs were a single Ginobilli turnover away from sweeping the series, I believe it, and I believe history supports my assertion.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:23 PM   #70
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
I will respond when requested.
So.... you get multiple PM's from me and what I requested that you do was not done and you still think I should have REQUESTED you to tell me you were having issues?

From here on out, just so we are cleared up on this.... if you get a PM from me asking you to do something to conform to the community standards and you are having issues with it.... LET ME KNOW WITH A PM.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:28 PM   #71
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Pretty much, yes.

Time and again, when the Spurs win the first three, they sweep - notable exception being Phoenix last season; but the 4th game, which Phoenix won, was in SA - they were going home for 5, not on the road.
What? So wait, you're downplaying Phoenix's Game 4 win (in San Antonio no less) because they won it in anticipation of Game 5?

Quote:
Also, nothing new here; when the Spurs win the first 2, then lose 3 (usually close), they get blown out in game 4. Seattle, LA, Sac, etc. etc.

If Sac was down 3-0, needing to beat SA 4 STRAIGHT TIMES including 2 in San Antonio, ala Memphis v. Dallas game 4 - something that has never been done before, the fight just isn't there, and the opponent rolls over. Win 3, get one free. Makes it a shorter series.

The Spurs screwed up & let Sacramento into a series that was just about done. Now they are in somewhat of a fight. But 6 game series are common for the Spurs. 2 last season, 4 in the '03 championship run.

So when I say, the Spurs were a single Ginobilli turnover away from sweeping the series, I believe it, and I believe history supports my assertion.
Uhm. Using historical precedent to make an assertion as you have (not an opinion, mind you) about something that didn't happen is usually not a good idea.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:28 PM   #72
George Gervin

Quote:
So.... you get multiple PM's from me and what I requested that you do was not done and you still think I should have REQUESTED you to tell me you were having issues?

From here on out, just so we are cleared up on this.... if you get a PM from me asking you to do something to conform to the community standards and you are having issues with it.... LET ME KNOW WITH A PM.

Thanks.

Roger that.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:30 PM   #73
101 6 7

Quote:
Weren't we talking about rebounding? And I don't want to split hairs with you but Bonzi is 6'5, 210.

If he's 210, I'm 175, and trust my wife, I AIN'T now 175! Kori at SpursTalk addressed this, said that weight is 10 years old. Dude goes about 245 - 250 these days.

Bonzi has simply gone ape sh!t playing for his new contract - I'm actually impressed the Spurs withstood 62 points from him and Artest last night. The two combined for 7 threes - both were below 30% for the season!, but last night Bonzi was Hakeem, Bird and Jordan rolled into one amazing package.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:31 PM   #74
alexamenos
Diamond Member

TVI...

FWIW, I brought up the subject of Sacramento's deceiving 8th seeded position long before the playoffs started..

Fair enough. I think you overrate the Kings a bit -- sure they had a good record down the stretch but they went to an essentially 7 man rotation in late February and they had the good fortune of playing the tanking Clippers twice in the last couple of weeks....I thought going into the playoffs that they were pretty close to the Lakers or Memphis, but not nearly as good as the Clippers (when they're not tanking) or Suns.

And upon further review, I did notice where Charlie Rosen at FSN said that he thought it was possible for the Kings to upset the Spurs (and he was right, it is possible)....but then again, he also said it was possible for the Grizz to upset the Mavs (and he wasn't even close).

this points to my point.....I consistently see two themes being expressed regarding the Mavs and Spurs series, respectively - 1) the Grizz suck; and 2) the Kings are really good.

I think two other things, not so often noted, can easily be gleaned as well 1) The Mavs were kickin' arse; and 2) the Spurs look rather flat footed, save game 1.

I don't buy this talk about the Spurs being old and slow.

well, I hate to quibble but the Spurs are old and slow. They may have a couple of quick guys, but they've also got some really slow guys. And if you weight their ages by the number of minutes they play (ie, 30 year-old guy that plays 40 minutes a game weights heavier than a 22 year old that plays 8 mpg), they're one of the oldest, if not the oldest, team in the league.

The Spurs' weakness this year has been rebounding - particularly keeping opponents off the offensive boards, and Sacramento has done a good job exploiting that.

...and the Mavs are a much better rebounding team than the Kings, especially on the offensive end.

...the Spurs are one silly turnover away from having closed this series out 4-1.

Alternatively stated, they're one lucky bounce from being down 2-3 and facing elimination Friday night.

I don't know whether the Mavs will beat the Spurs...predictions are tough, especially predictions about the future (as the saying goes). What I know for certain is that unlike prior years, I'm really looking forward to the matchup.

cheers
Old 05-03-2006, 03:34 PM   #75
101 6 7

Quote:
What? So wait, you're downplaying Phoenix's Game 4 win (in San Antonio no less) because they won it in anticipation of Game 5?
No I'm downplaying game Dallas's game 4 victory over Memphis (and SA's previous game 4 victories over several clubs for that matter). But yes, Phoenix played harder in game 4 than Memphis did this year, because for Memphis, a game 4 victory meant a trip back to Dallas for another a$$-whoopin; Phoenix's victory in game 4 meant a trip home, with a chance to get into the series.

Quote:
Uhm. Using historical precedent to make an assertion as you have (not an opinion, mind you) about something that didn't happen is usually not a good idea.
I can appreciate why a Mavericks fan would not like to dwell on historical playoff precedents.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:35 PM   #76
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
If he's 210, I'm 175, and trust my wife, I AIN'T now 175! Kori at SpursTalk addressed this, said that weight is 10 years old. Dude goes about 245 - 250 these days.

Bonzi has simply gone ape sh!t playing for his new contract - I'm actually impressed the Spurs withstood 62 points from him and Artest last night. The two combined for 7 threes - both were below 30% for the season!, but last night Bonzi was Hakeem, Bird and Jordan rolled into one amazing package.
245-250??? Ron Artest is listed at 260, and he looks like a monster beside Bonzi Wells. If Bonzi is 250, Artest has gotta be 290.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:38 PM   #77
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
No I'm downplaying game Dallas's game 4 victory over Memphis (and SA's previous game 4 victories over several clubs for that matter). But yes, Phoenix played harder in game 4 than Memphis did this year, because for Memphis, a game 4 victory meant a trip back to Dallas for another a$$-whoopin; Phoenix's victory in game 4 meant a trip home, with a chance to get into the series.
I don't know what to be more impressed by - your level of understanding of the psyche of so many players and coaches, or how you managed to type that with a straight face.

Quote:
I can appreciate why a Mavericks fan would not like to dwell on historical playoff precedents.
Trite, but this has little to do with historical playoff precedent. Talking about what, "might have been" is a loser's mentality. And, unless I've misread every single one of your posts, aren't you guys supposed to be a bunch of winners?
Old 05-03-2006, 03:41 PM   #78
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
The conclusion is that both teams are performing at about the same level, which is valid...up until and including Game 3. I welcomed him to explain Game 4. Perhaps you would like to?
I don't know if I'd go quite that far....the Grizz pretty much were pretty much toast by the 4the quarter of game 3, the spurs needed a lucky bounce at the buzzer in game 3 to get to overtime.

As for respective Game 4's....

the grizz folded early in the second half, but only because the Mav's stepped up and punched them square in the gut...it wasn't that the Grizz had no fight, it was rather that the Mavs knocked the fight out of them.

The Spurs, in game 4, weren't under any delusion that the series was firmly in their hands, they just got their butts kicked by the better team on that particular night.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #79
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
GG...lighten up, will ya?

I had the "Iceman Cometh" poster on my wall for a very long, long time, and there is no lack of respect for the Spurs.....

They are, afterall, the successors to the glorious Dallas Chapparels franchise.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:48 PM   #80
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Bonzi Wells isn't 6'5 210 just like DJ Mbenga isn't 7 foot and 220. According to that Dirk outweigh's Benga by 20 pounds lol. Where do they get these weight's from anyway? They can't be weighing guys.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote