Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-05-2006, 11:13 AM   #41
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Well we certainly didn't show up the first game of the sacremento series after the 7-game portland one. We could have used some rest that series. We also could have used some rest last year after houston.

Bottom line however, is that too much rest will certainly put some rust on the mavs. (Dirk needs to stay sharp somehow).

If I had to have some rust or have just come off a 7-game series, I would give the advantage to the rested team with some rust.

The NBA is about energy and willpower. Between two evenly matched teams like the mavs/spurs...energy should take number 1.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2006, 11:26 AM   #42
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape
I remember Don Nelson saying that the rest they got when they swept Minny 4 years ago was a big disadvantage. There were even some conspiracy theories about them letting off the gas in the first round series against Portland the next year after building a 3-0 lead. That was the year they went on to FINALLY beat Sacramento on their way to the Western Conference Finals.
Nelson was probably correct at that point. The mavs really were not ready to compete for a title until little nicky/raef had been there for a year. Heck they weren't even ready to compete after that until NVE said to F the kings. That was a willful turning point imo.

That's why the blowout against minnesota wasn't beneficial, it was because they weren't mentally ready to compete at that level imo. A contested engagement would have been better, they sort of got the big head.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:33 PM   #43
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Chris webber going down might have had a little something to do with the mavs finally beating Sacto. The fact is they were just a terrible matchup for those mavs teams.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:05 PM   #44
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

It wasn't the rest that was a disadvantage in 02, it was the overconfidence. I remember an AP article after we swept the Wolves titled "Mavs Talking Confidently About Championship." Ouch.

But the comparison is still valid. In 02, we swept a 5 seed while the top team (Kings) struggled against a cagey 8 seed (Jazz). Most of the fans, and I suspect the players themselves, thought the Mavs would have a relatively easy time with the Kings. I remember being shocked when we went to Arco and got beaten soundly in game one. We need to make sure we don't go into the Spurs series with big heads.

Last edited by Stranger; 05-05-2006 at 01:07 PM.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:37 PM   #45
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger
It wasn't the rest that was a disadvantage in 02, it was the overconfidence. I remember an AP article after we swept the Wolves titled "Mavs Talking Confidently About Championship." Ouch.

But the comparison is still valid. In 02, we swept a 5 seed while the top team (Kings) struggled against a cagey 8 seed (Jazz). Most of the fans, and I suspect the players themselves, thought the Mavs would have a relatively easy time with the Kings. I remember being shocked when we went to Arco and got beaten soundly in game one. We need to make sure we don't go into the Spurs series with big heads.
We also had beaten the Kings in the season series 3-1 that year.

I don't think it's a concern against the Spurs. They have three rings and we have a different coach. There won't be any overconfidence.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:52 PM   #46
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

In retrospect, the Kings were just a better team. They had the best record in the league, they were balanced (3rd offensively, 6th defensively) and they had an MVP caliber big man in Webber. They should have won it all that year.

Last edited by dirno2000; 05-05-2006 at 01:52 PM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:54 PM   #47
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
In retrospect, the Kings were just a better team.
that makes a big difference, doesn't it?
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote