Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-12-2006, 07:13 PM   #41
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

everyone can pick stretches where certain teams records are better than others. i think tressel is better than stoops though (especially at paying his thugs) and lloyd is a much better coach than mack-ride-vince-youngs-coattails-brown. mack was on the hot seat until vince came along
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2006, 07:14 PM   #42
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

the t-shirt i got this year for the season, michigan's sports homepage, wikipedia and several other sources all say michigan has 11 national titles

edit: also the scoreboard at the big house has 11 on it

Last edited by TheBlueVan; 11-12-2006 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:17 PM   #43
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

look we cant start arguing about who SHOULD have won heismans...vince was great though
Old 11-12-2006, 07:17 PM   #44
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueVan
the t-shirt i got this year for the season, michigan's sports homepage, wikipedia and several other sources all say michigan has 11 national titles

edit: also the scoreboard at the big house has 11 on it
Wikipedia has michigan at 7 but wikipedia is crap. So i dont know about that are you using just any possible publication because if you do that ou has about 12 and UT has 5 or 6

Last edited by Five-ofan; 11-12-2006 at 07:20 PM.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:19 PM   #45
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

i think two of them were pre-AP era titles
Old 11-12-2006, 07:23 PM   #46
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

this just shows how crappy wikipedia is but they have michigan with 11 on the michigan page but 7 on the overall national championship page.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:24 PM   #47
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

i was really hoping y'all would win out and we could have texas/michigan in the national title game. i know colt went down, but he doesnt play defense...what happened?
Old 11-12-2006, 07:29 PM   #48
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

we can argue back and forth about "whos the best rivals" but lets say that ou/ut played their last game of the regular season and were undefeated 1 & 2

if they truly are college footballs biggest rivals (i disagree) wouldnt that be "the game of the century"
Old 11-12-2006, 07:29 PM   #49
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
i think two of them were pre-AP era titles
its not that because its including the 1901 and 1902 titles. Im confused by this, ill tell you the years wikipedia has them winning and you tell me what other years they won?

these are the years wiki has them winning...

1901, 1902, 1932, 1933, 1947, 1948, 1997
Old 11-12-2006, 07:30 PM   #50
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
we can argue back and forth about "whos the best rivals" but lets say that ou/ut played their last game of the regular season and were undefeated 1 & 2

if they truly are college footballs biggest rivals (i disagree) wouldnt that be "the game of the century"
no. I just dont agree. I think this is the game of the year but its not the game of the century. I think the game of the century can only be decided after the fact. Now, if the michigan OSU game happened and it was as good as the USC UT game I would definitely listen to arguments.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:31 PM   #51
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1918, 1923, 1932, 1933, 1947, 1948, 1997
Old 11-12-2006, 07:33 PM   #52
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

i think the deal is we're just talking about two different things. youre talking after the game has occured about quality of competition, while im talking about historical magnitude and intangibles before the game. before the ut/usc game would you say game of the century? no. after osu/um game will anyone say game of the century still? we'll have to see...
Old 11-12-2006, 07:38 PM   #53
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1918, 1923, 1932, 1933, 1947, 1948, 1997
By what measure was Michigan national champion in 03, 04 18 or 23?
Old 11-12-2006, 07:39 PM   #54
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

i dont know, heres the link if you dont believe me...

http://mgoblue.com/document_display....cument_id=3091

edit: this is michigan's official sports homepage, they probably dont lie

Last edited by TheBlueVan; 11-12-2006 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:44 PM   #55
Five-ofan
Guru

Ok by just using ANY national championship measure, UT has -1914, 1941, 1963, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1977, 1981, 2005, but a bunch of those are bs as im sure a couple of those michigan titles are.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:46 PM   #56
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

UT's official sports homepage says 4, michigans says 11...im done with this for today

go blue, get me back some vCash!
Old 11-12-2006, 07:47 PM   #57
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

one quick question. classier program/fans...michigan or ohio state?
Old 11-12-2006, 09:27 PM   #58
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Michigan, easily...
Old 11-13-2006, 01:08 AM   #59
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

man i wish y'all hadnt lost. i would have LOVED for a michigan/texas national championship
Old 11-13-2006, 08:06 AM   #60
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
man i wish y'all hadnt lost. i would have LOVED for a michigan/texas national championship
never had a chance of happening, if michigan won, it OSU would have still been ranked higher than texas. To be honest right now i want arkansas to get the shot if they dont lose.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:55 AM   #61
Five-ofan
Guru

What the heck? Have you seen the sportscenter thing on this? They have Michigan with TWO national titles? Im no Michigan fan but come on even I know they have ALOT more than 2 national titles....
Old 11-13-2006, 10:06 AM   #62
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
yeah, Michigan by far.

OSU fans are almost as obnoxious as.....well, any of you people down here in Texas . or Gator and Seminole fans. my god they're obnoxious.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #63
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

no i didnt see that sportscenter deal. i dont know what bodily orifice they pull stuff out of sometimes. i could see maybe 7 or 9 like you were saying yesterday, but 2? lol.

arkansas would be amazing for one reason. i have lots of friends in the little rock area and one of them came up this year for the iowa game. we spent the whole time arguing who would win a game between um and arkansas.

ok, worst fans in college football... osu is utterly classless, theres this video online of them throwing stuff at michigan fans and ripping a jersey off of one of the UM players mom's before the 2002 game. nd fans are delusional but harmless because their team hasnt done anything real in awhile. florida's are pretty bad and some of my friends who go to aTm can get annoying (i dont know if the whole fanbase is as bad as they are though). penn state is pretty bad too
Old 11-13-2006, 10:57 AM   #64
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
no i didnt see that sportscenter deal. i dont know what bodily orifice they pull stuff out of sometimes. i could see maybe 7 or 9 like you were saying yesterday, but 2? lol.

arkansas would be amazing for one reason. i have lots of friends in the little rock area and one of them came up this year for the iowa game. we spent the whole time arguing who would win a game between um and arkansas.

ok, worst fans in college football... osu is utterly classless, theres this video online of them throwing stuff at michigan fans and ripping a jersey off of one of the UM players mom's before the 2002 game. nd fans are delusional but harmless because their team hasnt done anything real in awhile. florida's are pretty bad and some of my friends who go to aTm can get annoying (i dont know if the whole fanbase is as bad as they are though). penn state is pretty bad too
Its either OSU or Texas Tech. I went to tech, its ridiculous. Im a fan and I was and will always be a tech fan as well as a UT fan but good god. My best friend is an Olineman for SMU and I warned him about them. After they played this year, he called and he said, you were right, the tech fans or horrible. They spit in the direction of the opposing team whenever they get off the bus, they poor beer on the opposing players as they come out of the tunnel and they will kick your butt if you wear any other teams colors to a game.

Also they are the stupidest fan base in the world. They chant go no matter the situation on every fourth down(i kid you not, they chanted it on a 4th and 32) they chant BS ANY time there is an incomplete pass and ask for PI even though Hicks committs offensive PI about half the time. OSU is almost as bad but its got to be one of those two.

As for the national titles thing, they have way more than 2 consensus national titles so i have no clue where they got that number from. They were doing the normal hype thing and then at the end they had the program comparison and it said Michigan has more head to head wins but OSU will be quick to remind them they have more heismans and national champions. They had a graphic showing the numbers and it had OSU at 6 and Michigan at 2. I was dumbfounded. I did about 10 minutes of research yesterday and I can tell you for certain they have more than 2. Is it too much to ask for the "worldwide leader in sports" to know this? Im sure it will be corrected as if this bothered me Im sure quite a few michigan fans saw it and email/call/write to complain.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #65
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Also, Nebraska fans have been reported to be legendarily obnoxious. I once had a man from Nebraska tell me that the Huskers are "Gods" team and that God wants them to win.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:05 AM   #66
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Also, Nebraska fans have been reported to be legendarily obnoxious. I once had a man from Nebraska tell me that the Huskers are "Gods" team and that God wants them to win.
a bunch of people say that about their teams I say that about the mavs.... Then again its true about the mavs.....

Edit-Nebraska has the best fans in the world, not the worst.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 11-13-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:57 PM   #67
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

Tech fans are pretty bad, i forgot about them. remember the whole goal post deal when they beat aTm a couple years ago?

anyways, i found that "best rivalry in college football" thing on espn. its had 60,000+ votes. Michigan-OSU #1, red river shootout #5.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sport...tranker?id=386
Old 11-14-2006, 01:49 AM   #68
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Ohio State better win, I have lots of vCash on them...

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:26 AM   #69
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Tech fans are pretty bad, i forgot about them. remember the whole goal post deal when they beat aTm a couple years ago?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zZ97AIK0Fs0

Gap kid > Aggy
Old 11-14-2006, 07:05 PM   #70
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Gap kid pwned the Ags that day.....ass kicking on the field and off. Advantage Tech.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:29 PM   #71
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

i put all my vcash on michigan for a second time...
Old 11-15-2006, 06:31 PM   #72
Five-ofan
Guru

BTW, Vegas odds have OSU as a 6.5 point favorite which is a pretty darn big point spread for a game that is supposedly so close. I would still take OSU -6.5 though...
Old 11-15-2006, 07:19 PM   #73
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

yeah. i figured theyd be higher than 6.5 actually
Old 11-15-2006, 07:21 PM   #74
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
yeah. i figured theyd be higher than 6.5 actually
thats a HUGE spread for a game like this...
Old 11-15-2006, 11:30 PM   #75
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

not when 48 states and every single analyst is picking the buckeyes to roll...
Old 11-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #76
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Bo Schembechler dies just hours before kickoff.

What a shocker - Does this swing momentum to Michigan?

Schembechler collapses, dies at 77
Associated Press

DETROIT -- Former Michigan football coach Bo Schembechler has died WXYZ in Detroit is reporting.

ALT HERE
Schembechler

He was 77.

Schembechler collapsed Friday during the taping of a television show and was taken by ambulance to a hospital.

He became ill at WXYZ-TV in Southfield the day before the Ohio State-Michigan showdown, the station said. Schembechler also was hospitalized Oct. 20 after falling ill at the same studio.

Earlier Friday, Southfield police spokesman John Harris could not provide specific medical information, but said: "I don't think it was good."

Police were sent to the station about 9:25 a.m. with the city's fire department, and they escorted an ambulance to Providence Hospital, Harris said.

Messages were left with the university, Schembechler's office and the hospital.

Schembechler met with the media this week to discuss Saturday's game between the No. 1 Buckeyes and No. 2 Wolverines. He also talked about the device that was implanted to regulate his heartbeat after he was hospitalized last month. He said the device covered about half his chest, and doctors still were adjusting it.

Schembechler said he did not plan to attend the game in Columbus, Ohio, and he doesn't go to road games anymore.

Schembechler had a heart attack on the eve of his first Rose Bowl in 1970 and another one in 1987. He has had two quadruple heart bypass operations.

The seven-time Big Ten coach of the year had a 194-48-5 record at Michigan from 1969-89. His record in 26 years of coaching was 234-64-8.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
Old 11-17-2006, 01:21 PM   #77
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

i was just getting ready to paste that. i cant believe he died the day before the game... i dont know if it necessarily swings momentum but if there was ANY time that we would beat this buckeye team, it would be tomorrow
Old 11-17-2006, 07:29 PM   #78
Five-ofan
Guru

Sad to see him go. On a MUCH MUCH less important note, I am no longer so sure about this game, emotion is a scary thing in a game like this...
Old 11-18-2006, 01:06 AM   #79
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

OSU better win.....

I have 600 on them.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:21 AM   #80
capitalcity
Diamond Member

why is this event closed?