Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-28-2003, 12:59 PM   #1
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Would you have a problem if they invited the guy to tryouts next year and try to make the team? If he made the team, he would only cost us the league mininum. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I still can't figure out why he was never drafted in 2001-2002...

As a senior in College:

AT GONZAGA[*]As a senior, led Gonzaga in scoring (19.0 ppg). [*]Led WCC in field goal percentage (54.9%). [*]Named WCC Player of the Month for December. [*]Scored a career-high 29 points against Washington, one of 12 games with at least 20 points. [*]Scored 16 points with career-high 15 rebounds against Virginia in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament. [*]Scored 24 points in the NCAA Second Round against Indiana State.

Casey Calvary
Birthdate: 9/8/77
NBA Position: Small Forward
College: Gonzaga
Class: Senior
Ht: 6-8
Wt: 214
Hometown: Tacoma, WA
High School: Bellarmine Prep

A FREAK. Can jump through the roof. Will join the other two white guys in the NBA who actually have hops, (Bob Sura and Brent Barry) Did I miss someone? Not really big enough to be a classic PF or versatile enough to be a prototype SF. But with great hops and a pure shot he'll find a spot in the draft somewhere.

NBA Comparison: Tom Chambers

Strengths: Very good leaping ability. Has jets. Good range on his jumpshot. Good scorer. Hard worker. Good defender.

Weaknesses: Not great at setting up his own shot. doesn't fit either forward position well. Lacks quickness at SF and strength/height at the 4.

Casey Calvary Named To ESPN.com All-America Team
Senior forward earns second team honors

Feb. 28, 2001

BRISTOL, Conn. - Gonzaga University senior forward Casey Calvary has been named a second team All-American selection by ESPN.com. The Tacoma, WA, native is currently averaging 19.6 points and 6.4 rebounds per game helping to lead Gonzaga to a 21-6 record and wins in 15 of their last 16 games. Earlier this week Calvary was named the West Coast Conference Player of the Year joining John Stockton, Jeff Brown and Bakari Hendrix as former Zags that have won the award.

Complete ESPN.com All-America Team

First Team

Jason Williams - Soph, G, Duke
Jamaal Tinsely - Sr, G, Iowa State
Joseph Forte - Soph, G, North Carolina
Troy Murphy - Jr, F, Notre Dame
Shane Battier - Sr, F, Duke

Second Team

Troy Bell - Soph, G, Boston College
Frank Williams - Soph, G, Illinois
Casey Jacobsen - Soph, G, Stanford
Casey Calvary - Sr, F, Gonzaga
Jason Richardson - Soph, F, Michigan State

Third Team

Gilbert Arenas - Soph, G, Arizona
Brett Nelson - Soph, G, Florida
Tayshaun Prince - Jr, G, Kentucky
Michael Bradley - Jr, F, Villanova
Michael Wright - Jr, F, Arizona

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2003, 01:55 PM   #2
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

No problem at all in inviting him to tryouts. If we can play his way onto the team, great for us.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:22 PM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I'm shocked.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 02:29 PM   #4
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Bring him to dallas. I am sure he will be better than Bradley.
Old 05-28-2003, 03:20 PM   #5
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

I am looking for Popeye Replacements on the bench for next year and SF seems to be our weak area so looking for undrafted free agents that were missed/skipped. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Most kids that get missed in the draft go oversees or go to the USBL, but Calvary never did. Makes me think that something happened to him or he just didn't care about basketball. Still looking as to why he never kept persueing basketball...

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

Old 05-28-2003, 03:49 PM   #6
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road

We've already given Calvary a shot at the beginning of this year.

Casey Calvary

On the road again

Casey Calvary was always strong-minded, mentally tough enough to have helped the Gonzaga basketball program bull its way into the national consciousness with three straight Sweet 16 appearances.

He has also got a mind of his own. So when he got only lukewarm response from his efforts to play in the NBA, Calvary took his act overseas.

In his second season out of Gonzaga, the 6-8 Calvary is playing for a team in Chalon, France. He spent his first pro season in Japan with the Isuzu Giga Cats, but was advised by his new agent, Mark Bartelstein of Chicago — who also handles Zags All-American Dan Dickau — that it's harder to be noticed in Japan by the NBA.

If that doesn't happen, he'll survive, says his college coach, Mark Few.

"He's an open-minded enough kid and it's not necessarily his dream to play in the NBA," Few says.

Calvary, the graduate of Bellarmine Prep of Tacoma, has had his share of frustrations trying to crack the NBA. Few, naturally, sides with the forward whose tip-in against Florida in 1999 — the coach has called it the biggest play in Gonzaga history — allowed the Zags to reach the final eight.

"No question he's an NBA player," Few said. "No question. "I think initially when he came out, because he shot the ball so well from the perimeter, they wanted to categorize him as a No. 3 man (small forward). He's a power forward. He's athletic enough, strong enough and more than big enough. Evidently, they didn't think he was tall enough.

"So it's a matter of two issues — some poor evaluations, and in true Casey form, he lost patience. And I don't necessarily blame him."

Calvary had an early shot over the summer with the NBA's latest rage, the Dallas Mavericks. That didn't pan out, and when he couldn't get a guaranteed roster spot in the league, he opted for France.

His old college team is traveling the country — Maui, Atlanta, the Meadowlands — in an effort to buff its resume come NCAA tournament time. Meanwhile, basketball is taking Calvary even further.

— Bud Withers
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...arender29.html
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 03:57 PM   #7
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

I didn't know he tried out for the mavs last year.....damn they are a year ahead of me..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-28-2003, 03:57 PM   #8
signoftimes

Actually, it looks like he left camp for a guarenteed contract in France.

I do agree that Clavary would be a step up from Popeye. Good find UmmmmmmOk. But keep looking anyway.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:20 PM   #9
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

No prob Sign, still looking but nothing too promising. I have already scoured the CBA and nothing looked attrative. Most of the players in the CBA was too small.

I will find the diamond in the rough, just need some time to find him. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-28-2003, 04:31 PM   #10
signoftimes

There is someone out there. I'll probably jump on it later this week and try to find someone too. Good Luck
Old 05-28-2003, 05:12 PM   #11
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

man, i love calvary. him and frahm. freakin' santangelo got way too much credit for their tourney run.

anyway, let's get both frahm and calvary in here. both can shoot, and calvary can bang like nobody's business. i didn't expect either to get drafted, but i'd love to see them in the NBA.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:30 PM   #12
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Ummmmm Ok...you're really stepping up as a "contributing" poster.

A tip of the hat to ya.

OP
Old 05-28-2003, 05:31 PM   #13
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Well I want calvary because he is not necessarily a shooter but a scorer. He would have (2) jobs when he's in the game:

1) to posterize any and everybody he sees
2) to go after offensive rebounds.

But more than not, I wanna hear the WHITE MEN CAN'T JUMP statement from Wesley Snipes on the Tron when he steps on the court. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-28-2003, 05:33 PM   #14
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

<< Ummmmm Ok...you're really stepping up as a &quot;contributing&quot; poster.

A tip of the hat to ya.

OP
>>

I thought I contributed when I went on my rampage to get AROUND THE NBA turned into your love shack. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-28-2003, 05:46 PM   #15
signoftimes

I think UmmmmmOk has the right idea. The undrafted players will have a diamond or two in them

Undrafted Players

Posted 5/15/2003 2:14 AM

Undrafted players make presence felt in playoffs
By Roscoe Nance, USA TODAY
The road to the NBA for undrafted free agents usually runs through minor leagues, countless training camps and playing overseas as they try to beat the odds and stick with a team. Several players who traveled that road after being passed over on draft night have not only earned roster spots but are playing prominent roles in their teams' current playoff runs.

Spurs G Bruce Bowen, undrafted out of college, is among the NBA's top shooters and defenders.
By Kevork Djansezian, AP

&quot;The common thread is they have a high level of character, determination and great belief in themselves,&quot; Detroit Pistons coach Rick Carlisle says. &quot;They've come up through the CBA and developmental leagues and willed themselves into the league.&quot;

Carlisle should know. Detroit has three undrafted players: Ben Wallace, Michael Curry (starters and co-captains) and Chucky Atkins, who started Wednesday night in place of Chauncey Billups and sank the game-winning shot with 0.9 seconds remaining in the Pistons' 78-77 victory against Philadelphia.

&quot;I didn't think I would play as long as I have on any level,&quot; says Curry, 34, a nine-year veteran and players union president who played in Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Belgium, the U.S. Basketball League and the Continental Basketball Association. &quot;My goal was to improve and be successful at whatever I did. I'm surprised I'm doing it in the NBA.&quot;

Most undrafted players fill complementary roles. Wallace, listed at 6-9 but closer to 6-7, is a notable exception. He is averaging 15.8 rebounds and 3.0 blocked shots in the playoffs. This season he became the first undrafted player to start an All-Star Game, and he was voted NBA defensive player of the year two years in a row.

&quot;Ben is an unbelievable example of a guy simply taking advantage of an opportunity when people didn't believe he had a position,&quot; Carlisle says.

Wallace literally hustled his way into the league by attempting to block every shot after the Washington Bullets invited him to their rookie camp in 1996.

San Antonio Spurs guard Bruce Bowen, like Wallace, has developed a niche for himself with his tenacious defensive play. He was named to the NBA all-defensive second team for the third consecutive time this season.

&quot;Just because you don't get drafted doesn't mean you can't play,&quot; he says.

Bowen, a seven-year veteran who has played for four NBA teams, plus stints in the CBA and France, led the NBA in three-point shooting (44.1%) this season. He's shooting 50% on three-pointers in the playoffs (20-for-40) and has the unenviable task of guarding Lakers star Kobe Bryant in the West semifinals.

&quot;He has worked hard to make himself valuable,&quot; teammate Tim Duncan says. &quot;Not only does he guard whoever we want him to guard, no one shoots that corner jump shot better than him.&quot;

Raja Bell has been an unlikely hero for the Dallas Mavericks, who lead the Sacramento Kings 3-2 in their Western Conference semifinal series. He scored 13 points in Dallas' Game 5 victory and had more field goals (four) in the third quarter than the entire Kings squad (three) as Dallas took control of the game.

Mavs assistant coach Donnie Nelson says Bell was &quot;the real key in the most significant Mavericks win in the (Don) Nelson era.&quot;

&quot;It's been kind of a crazy ride,&quot; says Bell, who played in the International Basketball League, CBA and USBL and went to camp with San Antonio and Atlanta. He played in the 2001 Finals with Philadelphia. &quot;I've been some real low places and some real high places.

&quot;But through it all I just stayed grateful I'm healthy and still here playing.&quot;

Contributing: David DuPree and Greg Boeck

Old 05-28-2003, 05:47 PM   #16
signoftimes

Undrafted playoff performers
Player Team Playoff averages (through May 14)
Chucky Atkins Pistons 6.4 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 1.3 apg, 38.2% 3-PT FG
Briefly: Undrafted out of South Florida. Played one year in CBA and two years in Croatia before joining Magic in 1999. Has found steady role as Pistons backup point guard since joining team in 2000. Playing valuable minutes in playoffs following Chauncey Billups' injury. Hit game-winning shot to beat 76ers in Game 5.
Raja Bell Mavs 5.6 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 1.4 apg, 57.1% FG
Briefly: Undrafted out of Florida International (also played at Boston University). Played two years in CBA before seeing first NBA duty with 76ers in 2001. Played 75 games this year, his first with Mavs. Had 13 critical points in Mavs' Game 5 win over Kings.
Bruce Bowen Spurs 8.2 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 10 blocks 50% 3-PT FG
Briefly: Undrafted out of Cal-State Fullerton. Played two years in CBA and two years in France. Saw first NBA action with Miami in 1997. Joined Spurs as a free agent in 2001. Renowned as a defensive specialist and three-point marksman. Led NBA in three-point shooting this season (44.1%). Scored 27 points in Game 2 win vs. Lakers.
Michael Curry Pistons 3.5 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 1.3 apg
Briefly: Undrafted out of Georgia Southern. Played abroad in Spain, Italy, Germany, Belgium and France. Played two season in CBA and one in USBL. First NBA duty came with 76ers in 1993. Has played regulary in NBA since 1995 with his last four seasons spent in Detroit. Started 77 games this year in role as a defensive stopper. Serves as president of the National Basketball Players Association.
Adrian Griffin Mavs 3.4 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 0.6 apg
Briefly: Undrafted out of Seton Hall. Played three years in CBA and one in Italy prior to seeing first NBA action with Celtics in 1999. Averaged 7.2 ppg last year and 4.4 ppg this year in reserve role with Dallas.
Slava Medvedenko Lakers 5.8 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 1.8 apg 60.0% FG
Briefly: Undrafted after playing in Europe. Played in Lithuania and Ukraine before signing with Lakers in 2000. Averaging 4.5 ppg during three-year career.
Jannero Pargo Lakers 2.1 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 1.1 apg
Briefly: Undrafted out of Arkansas. Joined Lakers as a free agent in 2002. Averaged 2.5 ppg in 34 games in his rookie season.
Aaron Williams Nets 7.1 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 0.9 apg, 51.8% FG
Briefly: Undrafted out of Xavier. Played three seasons in CBA where he was on the All-Rookie second team in 1994. Also played in Italy for one year and in Greece for one year. First played in NBA with Utah in 1993. Williams has had an NBA job every year since 1996, playing the last three seasons in New Jersey. Averaged a career-best 10.2 ppg and 7.2 rpg in 2000-01 and has been one of the Nets' primary reserves the last three seasons.
Ben Wallace Pistons 9.0 ppg, 15.7 rpg, 27 steals, 32 blocks
Briefly: Undrafted out of Virginia Union. Signed as a free agent by the Bullets in 1996. Has blossomed as the two-time Defensive Player of the Year after coming to Detroit in 2000. Has led the NBA in rebounding twice and blocks once. Played for Team USA in the 2002 World Championships. Has most steals in playoffs and trails only Jermaine O'Neal, who played just six games, in rebounding and blocks.
Research by Nate Davis, USATODAY.com
Old 05-28-2003, 06:38 PM   #17
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< do agree that Clavary would be a step up from Popeye. >>

90% of the players in the WNBA would be a step up from Popeye. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]