Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-28-2006, 07:18 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Cassell to Denver?

Clippers guard says L.A. is first choice, but will listen to Denver's pitch

By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writer

Los Angeles Clippers guard Sam Cassell can see himself back in Los Angeles next season, but he would be open to reuniting with coach George Karl as a Nugget.

Cassell will be a free agent in the offseason and said Thursday he would consider listening to a Nuggets sales pitch because of his connection to Karl. Cassell played for Karl in Milwaukee from 1999-2002, and they have maintained a strong relationship. The 13-year veteran made $6.1 million in the final year of his contract this season and would like to play two or three more seasons.

"I would like to stay here, but ... I know there are going to be some other teams that are going to make me an offer," Cassell said. "Maybe Denver. I think George Karl has really respected me even more because of my leadership abilities to get guys to come out and perform the way they are supposed to perform. That makes it so easy for a coach.I'd listen. I owe him that much respect. The Clippers are my first choice. They've got to be fair with me."

The Nuggets already have two guards signed to long-term contracts, Andre Miller and Earl Boykins, but could use a veteran leader. Cassell, who won two NBA titles with Houston, said he would be open to coming off the bench behind Miller. The Nuggets will be over the salary cap and could use their mid-level exception to re-sign forward Reggie Evans. The Los Angeles Lakers also are rumored to have interest in Cassell.

"My job here is to motivate our guys," said Cassell, 37. "That's why

you see me talking to my guys throughout the whole game."

Cassell averaged 17.2 points, 6.3 assists and 3.7 rebounds and played a big role in the Clippers making their first playoff appearance since 1997.

"I'm not going to comment other than Sam's a great player. I'm impressed at his longevity. It's incredible," said Karl, who later added, "Sam's just posturing."

Clippers general manager Elgin Baylor hopes to re-sign Cassell, but also will have another free agent in Vladimir Radmanovic this summer and can sign center Chris Kaman to a long-term extension.

"We'd like to have Sam back," Baylor said. "But you know, Sam has to make that decision. It's up to Sam. We'll certainly make every effort to have him back. We'd certainly love to have him back."

Said Cassell: "With what I've helped this organization and this team to accomplish, I just want to be treated to my value. That's what it's all about, getting paid for what you do on the basketball court."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2006, 08:11 AM   #2
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Helluva time to be talking contract.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:26 AM   #3
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

At least it's better than during the Finals! [/Larry Brown hate]
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:45 AM   #4
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom
At least it's better than during the Finals! [/Larry Brown hate]
True.

Although if Sam had been to the Finals in the last 10 years, he might deserve a little more leeway.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:50 AM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's part of the package you get with samIam. He's a really good player to bring in but he seems a little self-centered and gets sort of disruptive.

This is a horrible time to be talking contracts UNLESS you are trying to get more bucks. But he's also refreshingly honest and open when answering questions.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:54 AM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

On the gamecast last night he was rumored to be going across town to the fLakers.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:06 AM   #7
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
On the gamecast last night he was rumored to be going across town to the fLakers.
I think the lakers would be silly to do that. This has to continue to be kobe's and ONLY kobes' team.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:16 AM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

That's pathetic to talk about possibly playing for a new team during the playoffs. I don't care if it was the reporters who asked he could have said I'll worry about that once the playoffs are over.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:52 AM   #9
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I think any team with a healthy Sam Cassell on it is better than a team without him. I almost think that if Jet gets too expensive, Sammy is the best option to replace him to give Devin one more healthy year to get acquainted with the NBA game.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:59 AM   #10
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

yeah, already had this discussion. I wouldn't want someone on my team that is talking about who he is going to play for next year.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:25 PM   #11
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

he's probably looking for a 2 year 20 million deal.

This is just posturing and making him look like he is in high demand. That way, the atlantas and portlands of the world will throw their money at him.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote