Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-12-2005, 10:12 PM   #1
Finley4ever

Finley4ever is on a distinguished road
Default Cassell traded for Jaric

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/news...ers_trade.html

Timberwolves Acquire Guards Marko Jaric & Lionel Chalmers from the L.A. Clippers for Guard Sam Cassell & First-Round Draft Pick

August 12, 2005
The Minnesota Timberwolves today announced the team has acquired guard Marko Jaric from the Los Angeles Clippers in a sign-and-trade deal along with guard Lionel Chalmers for guard Sam Cassell and a conditional first-round pick (lottery protected) in the 2006 NBA Draft. Per team policy, terms of Jaric's contract were not disclosed.

"We're extremely excited to have acquired Marko," said Timberwolves Vice President of Basketball Operations Kevin McHale. "He is a very versatile player who has the ability to play the one, two or three spots on the floor. With Marko, we've added another player who can break down the defense and is a pass first point guard. Lionel is a player that we think has some upside and will compete for a roster spot in training camp."

Jaric, a 6-7, 217-pound guard from Serbia-Montenegro, has averaged 8.5 points (.401 FG%, .343 3-FG%, .736 FT%), 2.9 rebounds and 4.5 assists per game in 174 regular-season games (103 started) with the Clippers (2002-03 - 2004-05). In 2004-05, the three-year veteran set career highs in points (9.9 ppg), assists (6.1 apg), minutes (33.1 mpg), steals (1.68 spg), field goal percentage (41.4%), and three-point field goal percentage (37.1%) in 50 games (41 started). Jaric ranked 15th in the NBA in assists per turnover (3.09). Also, he dished out 10 or more assists on eight occasions and registered a career-high six point/assist double-doubles. Jaric missed 32 games due to two separate right foot stress fractures and had two stints on the Injured List.

"It's tough losing a veteran player like Sam, but this was a great opportunity for us to gain a good, young combo guard," said Timberwolves head coach Dwane Casey. "Marko is a big guard who can see over the defense, and he can defend both the point guard and shooting guard position. We feel we've really upgraded our defense and our team with the addition of Marko. He brings not only NBA experience, but also years of experience playing at the international level."

Jaric was drafted in the second round of the 2000 NBA Draft (30th overall) by the Clippers. Prior to joining the NBA, Jaric was the only player to ever win back-to-back Italian League Championships with two different teams: 2000 - Fortitudo Bologna and 2001 - Kinder Bologna. Originally an early entry candidate for the 1998 NBA Draft, Jaric withdrew his name from consideration to sign with Fortitudo Bologna. Additionally, he was a member of the Yugoslavian National Team that won the 2002 World Basketball Championships.

Chalmers, a 6-0 guard, appeared in 36 games for the Clippers during his rookie season in 2004-05. He posted averages of 3.1 points (.460 FG%), 1.4 assists and 12.0 minutes per game. He scored a career-high 15 points at Denver on March 18, 2005 and tallied a career-best six assists vs. New Orleans on Dec. 21, 2004. Chalmers, who played collegiately at Xavier, was selected in the second round (33rd overall) of the 2004 NBA Draft by the Clippers. He averaged 12.7 points, 2.9 rebounds and 3.3 assists in 123 games during his four-year career, and finished 14th on Xavier's all-time scoring list with 1,556 points.

Cassell, a 12-year NBA veteran, completed his second season with the Timberwolves in 2004-05, averaging 13.5 points (.464 FG%), 2.7 rebounds, 5.1 assists and 25.8 minutes per game in 59 contests. He was sidelined for 23 games due to a strained right hamstring that he originally sustained on Jan. 7 vs. Philadelphia. In 802 career regular-season games (551 started) with six teams, Cassell has averaged 16.2 points, 6.2 assists, 3.3 rebounds and 30.5 minutes per contest. During the 2003-04 campaign (his first season with the Wolves), he posted a career-high 19.8 ppg (.488 FG%) and 7.3 apg and earned his first NBA All-Star Game appearance.
Finley4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2005, 10:26 PM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Cassell traded for Jaric

Boy minnesota is an underachieving bunch. Cassell was a huge reason for their one bright shining moment.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:38 PM   #3
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

this has to suck for cassell..badly.

He is like Mutombo..he will never age and can always start and play heavy minutes and be very effective.

He goes from a starting gig to a bench role(the clippers will start livingston at the point).
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:11 PM   #4
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

Good trade for the t-pups... even though no playoffs for them again [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2005, 11:20 PM   #5
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Good trade for LA. They got Salary relief for a player they probably never intended to re-sign. Even though they always underachieve, look for the Clips to be playoff contenders.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:38 AM   #6
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

Very slim chance of LAC making the playoffs.

I see it as:

Spurs
Phoenix
Denver
Houston
Dallas
Sacramento
Memphis
Seattle, Lakers, GS, Utah?
Old 08-13-2005, 01:21 AM   #7
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Cassell traded for Jaric

good trade for la I think min gave up a lot for marco
Old 08-13-2005, 02:15 AM   #8
Mavs4skin

Mavs4skin is on a distinguished road

What the hell is LA thinking? First they go and blow a fat wad on Cuttino Mobley and now this???
Mavs4skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 04:38 AM   #9
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

its the clippers, we should be used to it by now =]

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:16 AM   #10
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

It's a great trade for LA, they got a 1st rounder from Minni out of the deal and with cassell putting some attitude into that team, they might challenge for #8. Jaric has way underacheived so I don't see him really helping Minni that much. They had to do something, but it means they will be fighting with LA for #8.
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:36 AM   #11
echo

echo is on a distinguished road

It was actually a pretty decent trade on both sides, but maybe moreso for the Clippers. Why? Jaric didn't want to come back to LA. In return they get a 1st round pick and an expiring contract in Cassell. Livingston is their PG of the future and more than likely I see Cassell being traded again before the season ends. An expiring contract, especially one for a guy who can still play a bit, is pretty valuable. I can now see them packaging Maggette, Cassell & Wilcox for Pierce.

Minnesota? Spree and Cassell ran their course. The team is hurting for young talent to put around KG and they have not done well in the draft. I like Jaric. The only knock I have is him staying healthy. If he does he fits long term much better than Cassell who would have walked at the end of the season anyway.
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:30 PM   #12
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

IS Cassell the biggest baby in the NBA?

First he refuses to join the wolves for training camp because they didnt sign him for an extension even though he wasn't an expiring contract and he is over the hill. He finally shows up, and gives the team crap all season.

Then he is traded to the Clippers and refuses to come to Los Angeles, then he folds and comes, then he announces that he is happy that he is in LA, and now he is telling Dunleavy that he is the starter

Quote:
Though indications are that second-year player Shaun Livingston will be the starting point guard this season, Cassell has a different opinion.

"I'll be starting at the one (point guard)," said Cassell, who will be 36 two weeks into the coming season. "Shaun's going to be good one day, but he's not ready for this right now. I can't come off the bench for this team. If this team had a certified All-Star in front of me, then I could understand that. But that's not the case. I realize that Shaun is the future point guard for this team, but what am I supposed to do, lay down? If that's the case, then I shouldn't be here."
I'm really just wondering why anyone would want the unprofessional 36 year old.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:35 PM   #13
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: echo
I can now see them packaging Maggette, Cassell & Wilcox for Pierce.
Danny Ainge would be getting away with murder if he pulled that trade off...There is no way I see it happening.

Pierce is a great player, but Maggette is right there. Maggette and Wilcox for Pierce? Maybe.

Sam Cassell isn't exactly chopped liver...He is a 18,8 guy who can start. If he hasn't recovered from his injury, then it's a different story, but if he's healthy, there's no way the clippers do that deal.

rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:52 AM   #14
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

It will never happen. Unless Pierce tanks it, he isn't going anywhere.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote