Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-20-2001, 10:44 PM   #1
Jordan23TX

Jordan23TX is on a distinguished road

I dont second guess our trade for Howard but our bench is going to be a scoring liability. Tonite we just couldnt get any scoring from the bench....Eisley played great against PHO but the struggling Eisley returned. Then has anyone sorta soured on the whole MAD MAX deal. I mean what has he really added since we picked him up???? Im not seeing where he is particularly doing a great defensive job. An he definetly isnt making open shots. Also, Im willing to bet any amount of $$ that Nash gets most of his turnovers in the 4th quarters. Its more of a fatigue thing ...than anything. Since Nelson shortened the rotation against PHO & Portland seems like our legs arent there in the end...Phoenix moreless ran out of time....
Old 03-20-2001, 10:52 PM   #2
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

Yo man, I totally understand your frusteration, but I think we need to give Mad Max a little more time. Remember, he's still getting into basketball shape.
Old 03-20-2001, 10:55 PM   #3
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting frustrated with Maxwell as well. Maybe the Mavs should pick up Khalid El-Amin to help Nash out until Maxwell can get back into shooting form for the postseason.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 10:59 PM   #4
Hales233
Golden Member

DJ....The Bulls cut him!!!
Old 03-20-2001, 11:01 PM   #5
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Ya and they were stupid for doing it. They kept AJ Guyton instead! El-Amin played pretty well. He'd do a better job than Maxwell at this point imo. Why? Because Eisley plays better at the 2, but since there's no one else to handle the point, he's forced to play pg while Nash is on the bench.
Old 03-20-2001, 11:02 PM   #6
djb
Administrator

He's better than nothing and he's cheap.
Old 03-20-2001, 11:07 PM   #7
Mavs#1Fan

Mavs#1Fan will become famous soon enoughMavs#1Fan will become famous soon enough

We need someone who goes to the hole, draws the foul, and gets the points. Juwan is the only big man we have who will take it inside (Dirk will on rare occasions). As I posted on the other thread, I worry that our 8 man playoff rotation is 5 guards, most of which will not take the ball inside (Nash excepted).
Mavs#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 11:10 PM   #8
Hales233
Golden Member

I don't think El-Amin is the answer. I suggested Hollywood Robinson to Cuban but he responded saying that he's been working out with the Nets. Oh well, I'd stand pat for now and look to sign someone if things don't get better.
Old 03-21-2001, 12:11 PM   #9
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

well, this is nice, isn't it?
for once in the past decade we have a solid starting five. it's nice to have to worry about the bench instead of which starters need to be cut.
this might not be the mavs year because they aren't deep. but, i think alot of players around the league see what the little mavs are doing and will be willing to take a look at coming to the mavs next year... they have a good thing going, and it should last for the next....umm, i'm not sure what the 8 ball says, but it should last for at least the next 4-5 years (depending on whether or not they sign everyone...if they re-sign dirk and finley, and nash plays up to this level..then re-sign juwan...the mavs will be solid for years to come)...
i guess the mavs wish list for next year is a two guard off the bench.. possibly a backup point... umm...maybe an enforcer in the middle to come off the bench
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 01:16 PM   #10
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

The Mavs are past the deadline for adding any players eligible for their playoff roster, so it looks like we'll have to stick with Max and see if he turns out OK. Mitch Ritchmond will be available next year, and we could likely sign him to our exception. Now thats some potent offense coming off the bench!
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 01:26 PM   #11
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

the more and more I think about it as well, I would love to get Richmond for next year if he'll sign for the exception.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 01:40 PM   #12
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I understand what ya'll are saying but we already have 4 guys who can score 25+ a night. Richmond would only bring more offense to an already loaded offensive team. I'd rather have someone coming off the bench that would inject some energy and defense. Like Erick Strickland. And he could score if need be.

Also, I'd like to add Jarome Williams to the bench. Good defender and a really good rebounder that does alot of the dirty work inside. Would be a great backup for Howard IMO.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 01:44 PM   #13
LAM0015
Banned

i agree...we need a monster on the inside that can grab boards and play solid defense.
with the amount of minutes that the mavs get from nash and finley, i don't think we should go for richmond. i agree again..strick is the guy that would be a nice add for the mavs guard rotation. he's very solid defensively and can put some points on the board.

let's face it, if dirk, nash, and finley are all shooting bad...the mavs are in trouble (like last night)
if only one is hitting, like howard last night...it's going to be tough for the mavs to win. but, you have to think that at least two maybe three will be hitting on most nights...if they are..then the mavs are very tough to beat
Old 03-21-2001, 01:46 PM   #14
LAM0015
Banned

i hope y'all like my new logo..i thought it would be appropriate
Old 03-21-2001, 01:49 PM   #15
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

good call on JYD...I have always liked his scrappiness. He runs the floor very well and can play a little 3 as well b/c of his ability to guard anyone. Not much of an offensive threat, but as you said, we don't need much more O.

On the Richmond side, if he is willing to come here in a limited role, I would much rather have him to do what mad max is supposed to be doing now. I still think the biggest cog we gave up in the trade was Hubie, and we need someone off the bench that can hit the jumper consistantly. Richmond would provide that, and he is a good person in the locker room as well. Another to think about is Wesley Person.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 01:56 PM   #16
djb
Administrator

I'd love to see Strick back in Dallas, but Richmond would also be nice. Last night was a clear example of what could happen if the Big Four have trouble dropping shots. Without some offense off the bench, not only do the Mavs lose, but the starters get worn out as well (not good for back-to-back games).
Old 03-21-2001, 02:22 PM   #17
LAM0015
Banned

yes, it's always nice to have a gun like richmond coming off the bench.. i won't argue with you there...but, does anyone think he'd want to come to dallas to play 10-15 minutes a game at best? that's why i thought strick would be a good man to take a look at
Old 03-21-2001, 02:36 PM   #18
djb
Administrator

Yes I think he would be willing to play a limited role off the bench, especially since it means he'll finally be part of a winning environment. Money's obviously no issue to him (with the Wiz planning on eating his $10 mil deal) and at 35, he'll probably appreciate not having to carry the offensive load. He just wants to win at this point in his career. He probably wouldn't mind experiencing all of Cuban's luxurious ameneties either [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2001, 04:04 PM   #19
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Richmond would also probably like the top flight level of comfort that "Cuban Class" provides... He would fit into the Mavs perfectly... You know Nelson would employ small lineups of Nash(Eisley)/Finley/Richmond/Juwan/Dirk all the time. Howard and Richmond were also supposedly good friends on the Wizards...
Old 03-21-2001, 04:04 PM   #20
LAM0015
Banned

yeah..i know he'd have a limited role off the bench..the thing is...is that it would be very limited at times. there may be games where he would see 5 minutes.
well, we'll see. he's a quality player..i still think we need a guy off of the bench that can d-up on the p-guard and s-guard and a large guy in the middle to come off of the bench and play defense and rebound..
just a thought from your resident saint

if mrich wants to sign and play less than he could play otherwise, sign him. i have no problems with that.
besides, trent, maxwell, and bryant will all almost definitely be gone next year..that'll clear up some bench space.

Old 03-21-2001, 04:18 PM   #21
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that Dallas would be good home for Richmond, but he also might go to the Lakers or Spurs in an attempt to get his ring... If my long predicted off-season trade of Kobe for Stephon Marbury were to take place, then I think that you could guarantee that Richmond would return to California (where he still lives in the Summer) to play with the Lakers...
Old 03-21-2001, 04:23 PM   #22
Jordan23TX

ANOTHER GUY I MENTIONED A WHILE BACK IS ANTHONY MASON. HE'S A FREE AGENT & I THINK WE NEED SOME TOUGHNESS....SOMEONE WITH SOME DEFENSIVE INTENSITY....SOMEONE WHO WILL KNOCK SOMEONE ON THEIR AZZ. I GUESS IN HOCKEY TERMS WE NEED A "GOON". BUT MASON WOULD BE A GOON WITH SOME TALENT. SOMEONE TO PROTECT DIRK,FINLEY... ALSO, STEVE NASH TAKES A BEATING,....I DONT KNOW IF HE CAN LAST FULL SEASONS AS HE GETS OLDER..I LIKE JYD ALSO......HE'S A HIGH ENERGY GUY... JUST LIKE STRICKLAND..EITHER WOULD BE NICE. . BUT I THINK JYD IS WHAT NAJERA WILL BECOME IN TIME....
Old 03-21-2001, 04:23 PM   #23
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Ok, this is completely off topic but Evilmav reminded me.

Peter Vescey said(on tuesday) that if the Laker's don't win the Title this year, LA would trade Kobe and possibly to the Clippers for Miles and Odom. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 03-21-2001, 04:27 PM   #24
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Jordan, could you not use all caps? It's hard to read and gives the indication that your yelling. Thanks dude [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] .

Old 03-21-2001, 04:28 PM   #25
Jordan23TX

there was mention of Richmond going to Miami.....Some of these guys figure its easier to get to the finals by coming out of the East. Its like they want to avoid the BLOODBATH of the Western Conference. Evil, I havent heard anything about KOBE being moved BUT if that was true that would be interesting...
Old 03-21-2001, 04:30 PM   #26
djb
Administrator

I could care less for Kobe. If I were LA, I'd definitely take Odom and Miles and send him packing. It would be great to see Shaq take him down each time they played [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2001, 04:33 PM   #27
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Kobe got into a shouting match with a fan(that just happened to be Shaq's dad) at the Atlanta game [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] .

Old 03-21-2001, 04:40 PM   #28
Jordan23TX

since Derek Fisher signed a 7 yr deal last year....I think they may try to move Kobe to Toronto for Vinsanity....KOBE would be perfect ambassador for Canada since the other canadian team will be in LA or KY. I personally dont think KOBE is the problem in LA....but he will be scapegoated so it will be better off elsewhere.....Plus, the Lakers wont win anything else.....SHAQ must dominate everyone else on his team or he will pout. Ask Orlando....Ask Lakers 2001 its pathetic...Im so glad the Mavs have great Chemistry....it may not lead to a title but at least we dont have to open the newspaper each morning to read a soap opera.
Old 03-21-2001, 04:41 PM   #29
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Jordan, I haven't heard anything tangible about Kobe for Marbury- It's just something I have been predicting to antagonize Lakers' fans all year... Since they both signed their massive extensions in the same year, they could be traded straight up for each other this Summer (this year they couldn't because of base year restrictions)... If Kobe was going to be traded, this trade would make sense for both teams. However, it would be much more amusing to see him traded to the Clippers... Shaq would smash them every time they played...
Old 03-21-2001, 04:43 PM   #30
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Kobe was also yelling and griping at Jackson during that Atlanta game... I know Kupchak does not want to lose Kobe under any circumstances, but a locker room alliance of Shaq, Jackson, and most of the other players on the team might make it happen... It will be beautiful if the Lakers don't repeat this year- because that will make something like this happen...
Old 03-21-2001, 05:03 PM   #31
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Energy and defense off the bench? What are we lacking in that category? Buckner is Energy-and-Defense-Off-the-Bench Incarnate. Najera is the most energetic guy on the team, and no slouch on defense. Eisley is an excellent defender. Booth is a stud shotblocker. Maxwell is a solid defender. I say we need another capable point to relieve Nash without the team falling apart, and I agree that we need a tough rebounding big man off the bench... a scoring two guard like Richmond would be a great addition too- who on our team besides the big four is scoring ANY points? Darned if I know...
Old 03-21-2001, 05:07 PM   #32
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Jordan is right that Anthony Mason would be another good addition- I am just worried that his all-star status is going make his out of reach salary wise (how about a sign and trade for Trent though?)...I will be excited to see Booth play (maybe tonight) after everything I have heard Nelson say about him... I guess he has been tearing up in practice...
Old 03-21-2001, 05:10 PM   #33
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Anthony Mason would be a GREAT addition, but somehow I don't see him signing for anyone's cap exceptions...
Old 03-21-2001, 05:21 PM   #34
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Exactly... I could see Pat Riley wanting to pick up Trent though... However, the two downsides of Mason are his age and his history of being a locker room menace...
Old 03-22-2001, 12:19 AM   #35
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, Richmond says we are one of only 3 teams he would sign with for the exception, to bad he can't play low post defense [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] he wouldn't hurt at all though...