Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-25-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, super underrated play. On the possession before Dirk hit the three, he got a HUGE steal in what would have otherwise been a layup for Collison.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
By the way, super underrated play. On the possession before Dirk hit the three, he got a HUGE steal in what would have otherwise been a layup for Collison.
Very good point. And actually, although I may remember you and perhaps another poster or two questioning the coach's decision to roll out the small lineup, I thought Dirk did a fantastic job at center in that lineup. Suddenly he was rebounding everything...among other things.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Very good point. And actually, although I may remember you and perhaps another poster or two questioning the coach's decision to roll out the small lineup, I thought Dirk did a fantastic job at center in that lineup. Suddenly he was rebounding everything...among other things.
He did as best as we can expect...but Dirk simply can't contest shots like Tyson or Wood can. Moreover, the bigger issue was that Marion was on the bench when dribble penetration was KILLING us. That's exactly what he prevents. It was mind boggling. After Marion came back in at the 4 minute mark, that's when we took over.

OKC stayed small after Matrix came back and it cost them.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
He did as best as we can expect...but Dirk simply can't contest shots like Tyson or Wood can. Moreover, the bigger issue was that Marion was on the bench when dribble penetration was KILLING us. That's exactly what he prevents. It was mind boggling. After Marion came back in at the 4 minute mark, that's when we took over.

Tyson had fouled out and Haywood's defense was absolutley attrocious all night letting Harden slip past him for lay up after lay up
Old 05-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Tyson had fouled out and Haywood's defense was absolutley attrocious all night letting Harden slip past him for lay up after lay up
Uhh...I'm talking about the whole quarter. Tyson didn't foul out until under a minute left...
Old 05-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

True points. But to my bigger argument, I'm not sure you give Carlisle enough credit for managing the *entire* game. Yeah, you can take any one specific stretch and find problems. But Carlisle seems to have an uncanny knack for managing the entire 48. It's like he's got a bit of horse jockey in him. The jockeys can't just let the horse run all-out from the get-go. They have to save something and let it go at the right time.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:26 PM   #7
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
True points. But to my bigger argument, I'm not sure you give Carlisle enough credit for managing the *entire* game. Yeah, you can take any one specific stretch and find problems. But Carlisle seems to have an uncanny knack for managing the entire 48. It's like he's got a bit of horse jockey in him. The jockeys can't just let the horse run all-out from the get-go. They have to save something and let it go at the right time.
You're right, I am pointing out a particular section. For me, I put more emphasis on it because it's what I perceived as poor coaching in the clutch...which is the pivotal moment.

But he did bring Marion back...finally, and overall, he's been quite good in the playoffs. I'm certainly a nit-picker (until we win that ring )
Old 05-25-2011, 11:31 PM   #8
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
You're right, I am pointing out a particular section. For me, I put more emphasis on it because it's what I perceived as poor coaching in the clutch...which is the pivotal moment.

But he did bring Marion back...finally, and overall, he's been quite good in the playoffs. I'm certainly a nit-picker (until we win that ring )
As far as what is "the clutch"...I think that probably Carlisle has a little more patience than the typical GDT poster. By that I mean...nine minutes to go in the fourth, in a six to eight point game, is probably not do-or-die time.

It actually crossed my mind a little bit if Carlisle wasn't testing that lineup out with thoughts of the next series in mind.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #9
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Marion played 40 minutes tonight. He played out of rotation when we went without a center. It was excruciating watching that small lineup, no doubt, but I have to think Carlisle was trying to get Marion some sort of rest. He's not used to playing those kinds of minutes at all, and don't forget about him asking out early in game 3. He's expending so much energy on both ends of the court, I think I understand the context of that situation. I was screaming about it at the time, but looking back on it and looking at the rotations, I think it was necessary.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #10
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Marion played 40 minutes tonight. He played out of rotation when we went without a center. It was excruciating watching that small lineup, no doubt, but I have to think Carlisle was trying to get Marion some sort of rest. He's not used to playing those kinds of minutes at all, and don't forget about him asking out early in game 3. He's expending so much energy on both ends of the court, I think I understand the context of that situation. I was screaming about it at the time, but looking back on it and looking at the rotations, I think it was necessary.
Ugh, makes me really hope Chicago can win another game or two and give our boys some rest.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Ugh, makes me really hope Chicago can win another game or two and give our boys some rest.
They get 6 days rest even if Miami wins tomorrow, just FYI. Eight days if Chicago wins tomorrow. That's pushing the 9 days post-LA that people thought was too much...

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:45 PM   #12
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
They get 6 days rest even if Miami wins tomorrow, just FYI. Eight days if Chicago wins tomorrow. That's pushing the 9 days post-LA that people thought was too much...
Ah, that's good to know. These guys need it.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #13
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was one of those posters, and I don't have any regrets questioning it. Westbrook got two easy layups as soon as we went to the Dirk-at-center look, and this coming from a player who was positive for the Mavs all season long. Carlisle managed to turn him into a dangerous player again when he took out the centers who were patrolling the paint.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dirk pwns ur face 4ever!!, it's time bitches, we ain't done yet