Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 01-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Bank of Cuban is open!

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...ank-cuban-open

Quote:
Owner: 'Bank of Cuban' is open

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

DALLAS -- Memo to the rest of the NBA: Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is in "Let's Make a Deal" mode.

"We're letting everybody know that the "Bank of Cuban" is open," Cuban said Monday night, a couple of days after declaring that there was a "100 percent chance" the Mavs would aggressively pursue trade opportunities before the Feb. 21 deadline.

"If it's the right deal, we don't mind taking back money. But we're not going to do a trade just to do a trade. It's got to be worthwhile."

The Mavs have the ability to take back significantly more salary in trades because they are under the salary cap. Cuban has continually insisted that is a primary reason he opted for financial flexibility instead of re-signing several key contributors to the Mavs' 2010-11 title team, not just because they wanted to have enough salary cap space to sign a superstar in free agency.

As Mavs star Dirk Nowitzki recently lamented, the Mavs missed out on Deron Williams last summer and would be a long shot to land a legitimate superstar this offseason, with Clippers point guard Chris Paul and Lakers center Dwight Howard expected to stay with their respective teams in Los Angeles.

As a result, the 16-23 Mavs' best chance to make major roster upgrades is probably in the trade market. And Cuban has made it clear that he intends to explore every trade possibility, saying he's poring over rosters and making suggestions to Dallas president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson on a daily basis.

"That's obviously good to know that he still wants to go for it," Nowitzki said, noting that the Mavs have typically been one of the teams hit hardest by the luxury tax. "That's obviously what he promised me when I re-signed here in 2010. I wanted to make sure that he still wanted to go for it and keep spending and using his resources to make sure this was a winning franchise, and obviously then we didn't know that the next year we were going to win it all.

"That just happened and it was a great byproduct, but our plan was to be a winning team the four years that I signed on, so we'll see what happens."

The Mavs have made many trades during Cuban's 13-year ownership tenure where the team took on significantly more salary. Such deals brought key championship pieces Jason Kidd and Tyson Chandler to Dallas.

However, the Mavs wouldn't have had the flexibility to make those types of trades as a luxury-tax-paying team under the new, more restrictive collective bargaining agreement. Cuban now is hoping to take advantage of teams that want to avoid paying the luxury tax, which increases dramatically next season.

The Mavs, who are in danger of having a 12-year playoff streak snapped, have several expiring contracts that could be attractive to cost-cutting teams. The Mavs will seek to get involved as a facilitator in multi-team trades as well as discuss traditional deals.

"Anything that helps us," Cuban said.

So... what kind of deals are within the realm of possibility that you guys would like to see? Here are a couple that I've mentioned in the past:
  • http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=auh35e4
    Vince to Minnesota for Luke Ridnour -- we could really use a game manager and the Wolves are in need of scoring help on the wing. Maybe we throw in a lower pick to sweeten the deal.
  • http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=d98o3ec
    Kaman/Dojo for Gortat/Beasley -- I know, I know. Beasley is the worst. But I'd love to add Gortat, who plays effectively in the post on both ends of the floor. Phoenix dumps a lot of salary in years 2 and 3 of this deal.
  • http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cyvawfe
    Kaman/Wright/Roddy for Calderon/Ed Davis -- Calderon would be a good game manager who can get the ball to Dirk early. Maybe wouldn't finish games for us but he and DC at the point sounds pretty good right now. Ed Davis is a guy that I like who might be the odd man out in Toronto. He's averaging 14/10 per-36 and could play next to Dirk.

Those are a couple that I've had in mind for the past couple of weeks. I think we're probably two big upgrades/trades away from truly contending, but we're only one trade away from being in the mix for the playoffs.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta be interesting for sure. MacMahon keeps reiterating that FO is high on Cousins, but Kings are not ready to deal him (yet?), especially not since the ownership situation is in flux.

As I've said in the other thread, from what you hear from the Suns camp Gortat might not even be an upgrade over Kaman at this point (definitely not defensively) and Beasley is a lot to swallow for a 'maybe.'

I'd love to have Ridnour and the Wolves are packed at the backcourt, but right now they want more of a big with Love sidelined for a good chunk of the season.

And as I've repeatedly said, every deal with Toronto will include Bargnani. And they most definitely won't give up Ed Davis for Roddy and Wright.

I'll let Cuban surprise me. The guys that seems expendable (Roddy, DoJo, Wright) are not very movable and you probably want to keep the guys that could draw attention (Marion, Carter, Kaman?). I'm very intrigued to know what they think about Sarge, bc every time he steps on the court he looks like he could be a legitimate backup player. So every once in a while you wonder whether Kaman might even be on the expendable list.

Last edited by j0Shi; 01-15-2013 at 11:20 AM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

It will certainly be interesting to watch. He's almost guaranteeing a trade. I'm skeptical but also excited. Will we pick up cheap talent at a high CBA cost (Gay)? Will we swing an actual home run?

We have cap space, expiring contracts, some decent youth and a lucrative lottery pick. If anyone can make it work (who doesn't have the benefit of being the Lakers), it's Cubes.

Put on your seat belts, MFFLs.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

If they are serious about adding talent, Kaman or Marion have to go. They would provide cap relief for the other team and have enough salary to bring back a good player.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

I think giving away our pick is as dumb as it gets though. It's more or less the insurance policy to get _something_ out of the season if everything goes south. Acquiring a roster upgrade, still not make it to the playoffs and lose your lottery pick? Brutal.

If they deal the pick, they better come up with serious shit, bc otherwise I'll vomit all over my place. And right now I lack a girlfriend to clean it up...

Last edited by j0Shi; 01-15-2013 at 01:05 PM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Gotta be interesting for sure. MacMahon keeps reiterating that FO is high on Cousins, but Kings are not ready to deal him (yet?), especially not since the ownership situation is in flux.

As I've said in the other thread, from what you hear from the Suns camp Gortat might not even be an upgrade over Kaman at this point (definitely not defensively) and Beasley is a lot to swallow for a 'maybe.'

I'd love to have Ridnour and the Wolves are packed at the backcourt, but right now they want more of a big with Love sidelined for a good chunk of the season.

And as I've repeatedly said, every deal with Toronto will include Bargnani. And they most definitely won't give up Ed Davis for Roddy and Wright.

I'll let Cuban surprise me. The guys that seems expendable (Roddy, DoJo, Wright) are not very movable and you probably want to keep the guys that could draw attention (Marion, Carter, Kaman?). I'm very intrigued to know what they think about Sarge, bc every time he steps on the court he looks like he could be a legitimate backup player. So every once in a while you wonder whether Kaman might even be on the expendable list.
I'm pretty skeptical Cousins will get traded with the ownership situation in flux. Though if Dallas values him enough they could make the Kings a tempting salary-based offer, I'm sure.

I have to say I'm of a different mind than you Re: Gortat vs. Kaman. I'd take the Polish Hammer over Captain Kaveman next to Dirk any day with zero hesitation. That said, I see almost no way that he ends up in Dallas. Beasley would be a deal killer from Dallas perspective (I like Marcin better than Chris but I don't like him that much), and I just don't see what Dallas has to offer other than a salary dump (that they'd want to give up) that would tempt Phoenix into trading away their reasonably paid quality starting center.

I also continue to be skeptical about Bargs being the price of admission on Calderon. Mainly because it's just not reasonable (Calderon's not going to be that tempting to anybody). But also because I suspect when it comes down to it that Toronto, with the challenges they face attracting FAs, might settle for a desirable young soon-to-be RFA and some palatable contractual filler as an alternative to the risk of an uncompensated Calderon defection this summer.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be interested to see what Chicago decides to do about their salary situation. They have committed $17+M to Rose (contract through 16/17), $15+M to Boozer (14/15), $12+M to Noah (15/16), and extended Gibson with a salary of $7+M (16/17). That's around $52M. Deng's contract is for one more year at $14+M, so is he the odd man out?

Last edited by purplefrog; 01-15-2013 at 04:52 PM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
If they are serious about adding talent, Kaman or Marion have to go. They would provide cap relief for the other team and have enough salary to bring back a good player.
Marion has another year on his contract, so he's not going to be helping any team dump salary anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
I think giving away our pick is as dumb as it gets though. It's more or less the insurance policy to get _something_ out of the season if everything goes south. Acquiring a roster upgrade, still not make it to the playoffs and lose your lottery pick? Brutal.

If they deal the pick, they better come up with serious shit, bc otherwise I'll vomit all over my place. And right now I lack a girlfriend to clean it up...
I'm not 100% on this, but I don't think the Mavs can trade this year's pick (at least not at the deadline). There will still be a theoretical possibility that they could finish above the 20th draft position when the trade deadline passes, which would mean this year's pick would go to OKC (via Houston, via LA).

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:02 AM   #9
jasonic

jasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to all

I 've thinking trades and i think the two of them could be very useful for the team.
Mayo and Collison are both good players but i don't think they can coexist in the floor so i think of that trade.
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=catqwpd

Evans is a better ball hander and passer than Mayo but a worse shooter.

And then we should do something like this
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aznjomv

Gortat and Brand are going to be our centers next to Dirk and i think they would make a nice frontcourt. Also the Suns gets the contract of Kaman and adding Chandler who fits in the Suns system. Finally the Nuggets, gets Dudley to improve their perimeter defence and their problem to 3pt shooting and adding Beaubois as a backup PG.
Well, what do you think?
jasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
MaverickOutlaw
Banned

MaverickOutlaw is infamous around these partsMaverickOutlaw is infamous around these partsMaverickOutlaw is infamous around these parts

jasonic like your idead but will other teams want to do it?
MaverickOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Josh Smith is the latest big name rumor.

Kaman/Mayo/1sts?

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #12
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Josh Smith is the latest big name rumor.

Kaman/Mayo/1sts?
God no. He's a free agent in the offseason.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
The Ghost of Championship
Banned

The Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these partsThe Ghost of Championship is infamous around these parts

Is this Cuban's way of acknowledging that his plan to let great players go and build a team on hope has backfired (as any half wit could have predicted)?

This is nothing more than Cuban saying "Yeah, we aren't landing any big name free agents and will have to try another strategy". No shit, Cuban, the entire league already knows you're desperate to make a deal.
The Ghost of Championship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #14
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost of Championship View Post
Is this Cuban's way of acknowledging that his plan to let great players go and build a team on hope has backfired (as any half wit could have predicted)?

This is nothing more than Cuban saying "Yeah, we aren't landing any big name free agents and will have to try another strategy". No shit, Cuban, the entire league already knows you're desperate to make a deal.
If their plan was to rebuild with expirings, trades and free agency, isn't making trades part of that plan? Or were you just playing out your imaginary conversation with Cuban with your sock puppets?
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #15
ck817
Banned

ck817 is infamous around these partsck817 is infamous around these partsck817 is infamous around these parts

Cuban should have never let Chandler go that was crazy stupid! And all this talk about Luke Ridnour ya he is okay but why him when we could have barea back? I like Barea better obviously we shouldnt have let him go either! We have the money to sign Rudy Gay and Jose Calderon but that didnt happen go figure! And no you dont trade Marion our only decent defensive player and rebounder! Ever sense winning the championship our team has gone to shit! I can see trading kaman and carter and roddy but we need the other players!
ck817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #16
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck817 View Post
Cuban should have never let Chandler go that was crazy stupid! And all this talk about Luke Ridnour ya he is okay but why him when we could have barea back? I like Barea better obviously we shouldnt have let him go either! We have the money to sign Rudy Gay and Jose Calderon but that didnt happen go figure! And no you dont trade Marion our only decent defensive player and rebounder! Ever sense winning the championship our team has gone to shit! I can see trading kaman and carter and roddy but we need the other players!
#1 worst poster with a bullet.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:18 AM   #17
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck817 View Post
don't feed the troll guys...rudy gay?are you serius?
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote