Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Other than seeming to be a great guy..why? Surely there is a better fit player to be had. Someone with a little more drive and less settle for the J, and someone that can finish a lil better around the paint and rim.
Name a player who fits the criteria you just listed, is available, and could be received for a package including an injured Butler.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Name a player who fits the criteria you just listed, is available, and could be received for a package including an injured Butler.

Thats his job. It doesn't matter who I name. I'm not gonna pretend to know the intricate details involved with this but I don't understand why they just wouldn't pry LeBron out of Miami. I mean we beat them twice so it only makes sense.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Thats his job. It doesn't matter who I name. I'm not gonna pretend to know the intricate details involved with this but I don't understand why they just wouldn't pry LeBron out of Miami. I mean we beat them twice so it only makes sense.
Way to punt. Fact is, it's incredibly unlikely there's anyone available who will fit those criteria. It's easy to say, "Yeah, let's trade Butler for X and Y" without realizing that Donnie and crew aren't playing a GM video game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777
Stephen Jackson
I'm sorry, have you ever actually watched Stephen Jackson play? Outside of maybe those 6 games against the Mavs in 2007? He certainly does not come anywhere close to fulfilling the criteria listed by SMC. Even if you like him, that wasn't the subject of the conversation.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 01-03-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Way to punt. Fact is, it's incredibly unlikely there's anyone available who will fit those criteria. It's easy to say, "Yeah, let's trade Butler for X and Y" without realizing that Donnie and crew aren't playing a GM video game.

I'm sorry, have you ever actually watched Stephen Jackson play? Outside of maybe those 6 games against the Mavs in 2007? He certainly does not come anywhere close to fulfilling the criteria listed by SMC.

This is what you wanted to do and I don't want to be the donkey. If I punted then the ball is in your possession. You got any names or ideas other than the ones we already know such as "he's not available, or he sucks and isn't as good as Butler"? Help me out here, whats the attitude, just shut 'er down and try again next year? I didn't say it was easy or I had the right answer, just simply that it's someones job to fill a void we might have and surely it's possible. There is no guarantee that Roddy will be back this year, or Butler.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
LonghornDub

Quote:
This is what you wanted to do and I don't want to be the donkey. If I punted then the ball is in your possession. You got any names or ideas other than the ones we already know such as "he's not available, or he sucks and isn't as good as Butler"? Help me out here, whats the attitude, just shut 'er down and try again next year? I didn't say it was easy or I had the right answer, just simply that it's someones job to fill a void we might have and surely it's possible. There is no guarantee that Roddy will be back this year, or Butler.
I have no idea what the first thing you wrote means. None whatsoever. "What I wanted to do"?

As for the rest, no, of course that's not the attitude. The attitude is, first, we see what Butler's timetable is. If it's not a whole-season injury, we are probably better off just waiting on him, unless some as-of-yet unapparent trade option presents itself.

Then, if it is a whole-season injury, we obviously have to look at our options, which unfortunately will almost surely be comprised entirely of players who don't fit the criteria you listed.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
SMC0007
Guru

[QUOTE=LonghornDub;1143141]
Quote:
I have no idea what the first thing you wrote means. None whatsoever. "What I wanted to do"?
Shoot down players that people throw out there as possibilities for replacing Butler

Quote:
As for the rest, no, of course that's not the attitude. The attitude is, first, we see what Butler's timetable is. If it's not a whole-season injury, we are probably better off just waiting on him, unless some as-of-yet unapparent trade option presents itself.

Then, if it is a whole-season injury, we obviously have to look at our options, which unfortunately will almost surely be comprised entirely of players who don't fit the criteria you listed
You keep saying the criteria I listed..it's not that complicated, especially given a)Butlers style of play. b) IF he comes back this year he might not even be what he was before the injury.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
LonghornDub

Quote:
You keep saying the criteria I listed..it's not that complicated, especially given a)Butlers style of play. b) IF he comes back this year he might not even be what he was before the injury.
I don't know what you mean by "it's not that complicated." You listed some criteria, which I agree with. I asked who might be available that meets those criteria. You didn't answer, which is fine, but I'm not complicating the issue. It was a very simple question.

Yeah, we can trade Butler for just "someone." That may well be what we do if he's out for the year. But if there's some possibility he can return, we have to carefully consider whether we want to trade him for someone who does not meet those criteria you listed.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:

I'm sorry, have you ever actually watched Stephen Jackson play? Outside of maybe those 6 games against the Mavs in 2007? He certainly does not come anywhere close to fulfilling the criteria listed by SMC. Even if you like him, that wasn't the subject of the conversation.
About 9 seconds to go, against GSW, down 2, Jax dribbling right side about 30 feet away, counting the clock down and non chalantly lets one fly. Sure it's a loser he's chucking it for, but still can he just turn it on and off?
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #9
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Stephen Jackson
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
ReDirkulous Tyme

ReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing that Butler doesn't fill that void better than most of the players available via trade/FA signing. However, what about the Rockets? Could Kevin Martin be had for the combo of Butler/Haywood/Injury Exception? I have absolutely no idea if the numbers work, but that would seem to be exactly what we need, if Kevin Martin could be had.

In all reality, before the trade for Butler went down, I always wanted Kevin Martin. I absolutely love what Butler brings to the table in every aspect. He's absolutely nasty on the court, he's very respectful off the court, great community guy, great locker room guy, and everyone seems to love him on the team. Needless to say, I have really loved what Caron has brought to this team. And, prior to the injury, I thought we didn't need a trade to be championship material. With the way Caron was stepping in to that 2nd scoring option behind dirk (see his 20ppg avg over the last 7 games), and with Roddy B coming back, I thought we were already one of the best teams in the league, and with Roddy we would be right up there with the Lakers.

However, with this damn injury, we're clearly back down in that 2nd tier, more than likely even with Roddy. We need a trade in order to compete for a championship NOW. With the lockout looming, there is no guarantee we will ever get another chance with Dirk and Kidd. If there is any way to get Kevin Martin, I think we need to go for it, and here's why:

Kevin Martin is one of the most gifted offensive players I've seen. I put him up there in that 1st tier of scorers in this league. He absolutely breathtaking to watch. His jumper is absolutely WET, from any range. But the best part about him, is he doesn't seem to fall in love with his jumper. He takes a ton of FT's, because he gets in the lane and isn't scared of taking it to the hole. Best part is, he gives us another 90% FT shooter along side Dirk. In my opinion, Kevin Martin has always been the perfect Robin to Dirk's Batman. And with him, when Dirk retires, he could take over that #1 option with ease. Look at the season he's having on an absolutely terrible Rockets team.

If we could get Kevin Martin, I'd start saving for NBA Championship tickets. With our current roster, we prolly won't make it past the 2nd round, if that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Things in the mirror are closer than they appear.
ReDirkulous Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
butlerrang, butler_is_done, lambasted rick41, suffering from p.e.