Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2004, 05:33 PM   #1
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default What does your future Mavs Offseason look like?

Thought this would be a good discussion point.

We now have a pretty good idea that Nash is leaving us. We know that we still have Walker and an overabundance of contracts on board. What does the remainder of your offseason look like for the Mavs?

Here's mine.

1. 1 trade with 4 players but done over 2 trades due to technicalities.

The essence of the trade is Walker/Laettner for GP/Grant. Since Laetter and Grant can't be packaged together, we send Walker for Grant and Payton for Laettner. The Lakers get Cap relief and rent a Walker for a year. They slide Odom over to the 3 spot, or they can reship Walker off to GS for Dampier. Dallas takes GP to replace Nash for a year.

2. The Mavs sign the Mailman to the LLE.
You can slide Dirk over to the 3 spot or play Dirk at the 4 and have Malone play the 5. Or if you can talk the Mailman into it, start Grant at the 5 spot, and bring the Mailman in for Dirk to preserve him for the playoffs.

3. Package Delk/Fortson/$3M in cash and send them to Atlanta for a second round pick. The Mavs create a trade exception and get out from 2 contracts with a few years left on them.

4. I assume a few things here. I assume LA wants some salary cap flexibility. I also assume that Atlanta has a hard time signing any players and just needs some bodies to fill out their roster. I also assume that nobody is stupid enough to take on Wahad's contract. Hopefully, Malone will sign for the Mavs and give them a home town discount.

Your roster shapes up like this:
Payton/Harris/Steffanson
Daniels/Stackhouse/Wahad
Finley/Howard
Dirk/Grant/Najera
Malone/Mbenga/Bradley/Pavel

Your IR looks like this: Wahad/Pavel/Steffanson

Not too bad.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote