Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-22-2002, 04:32 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2002, 05:18 AM   #2
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

They're still giving them out to the first 5000 fans today.
Old 02-23-2002, 10:59 PM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

From the Dallas Morning News
------------------------------------------------

Hardaway laughed, at least, that the Mavericks went ahead with plans to distribute 5,000 bobblehead dolls in his likeness before Saturday's game against Sacramento.

"That's good. The fans still appreciate me," Hardaway said. "A lot of people don't like the trade. Nellie's got to deal with that."
Old 02-23-2002, 11:00 PM   #4
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh at least he's not bitter [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 11:03 PM   #5
MFFL
Guru

I only cut and pasted the relevant portion to the bobble-head. Here's the rest.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mavs notebook: Hardaway stunned by trade
Veteran point guard says friend Nelson 'turned his back on me'
02/24/2002
By JODIE VALADE / The Dallas Morning News

Tim Hardaway made his final appearance as a Maverick on Saturday – in bobblehead form. But even though he was far from Dallas, he made his first public criticism of the trade that sent him to Denver in a seven-player deal Thursday, saying he felt betrayed by his former coach and close friend Don Nelson.

"He turned his back on me and traded me," Hardaway said from Portland before the Nuggets' game.

The Mavericks courted Hardaway last summer to be their backup point guard, and as a free agent, he agreed to a three-year, $11.3 million deal with only the first year guaranteed. After the trade, Nelson conceded that newcomer Nick Van Exel is "younger and more capable of pushing the ball up." Privately, the Mavericks were prepared to release Hardaway after this season.

"Timmy's had some injuries over the years that slowed him up on his penetration," Nelson said after the trade.

Hardaway said he was stunned by that comment.

"They knew what they were getting," he said. "I thought they wanted me.

"I feel sorry for Juwan [Howard], too. He was in a great situation, he did everything they asked him to, and they've been trying to trade him all year long. I don't know why."

Despite his feelings about the trade, Hardaway said he is not at mad at Nelson, personally. Nelson also was Hardaway's coach in Golden State.

"Business is business," he said.
Old 02-23-2002, 11:11 PM   #6
MFFL
Guru

Here is Nelson's side - from the Fort Worth Star Telegram
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nelson defended trading Hardaway, noting that trades are the ugly side of doing business in the NBA.

"We all get paid a lot of money, and we get paid by the NBA," Nelson said. "I tell my team that you really work for the NBA, and we're all fortunate enough to be basketball players who play within the NBA.

"When you go from one team to another, you continue to make your salary. And that's kind of part of the deal, that you're going to get traded and shipped around once in a while, and even waived and picked up by other teams, and you'll continue to make a pretty good living. That's the downside of the good living.

"It's the same with coaches. We get fired and kicked around, and that's the downside of our job."
Old 02-23-2002, 11:19 PM   #7
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Reading that I feel bad for Tim Hardaway
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 11:20 PM   #8
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Timmy was a class act while here in Dallas but after being in the league for so long, he has to realize business is business. If you've got a chance to significantly upgrade your team, do it.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 11:29 PM   #9
MFFL
Guru

I would have loved to have kept Hardaway but would he have ever played? Van Exel is a major upgrade unfortunately.
Old 02-24-2002, 12:37 AM   #10
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

It was strange hearing he had been traded when I heard the news on Thurs. I was just listening to the Tim Hardaway show on ESPN on Wednesday, and I seriously doubt he knew he was getting traded. I liked Timmy and thought he was a classy guy. It was just really strange because that was the first time I listened to the show. Turned out to be my last.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 12:58 AM   #11
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Tim Hardaway had his own show?
Old 02-24-2002, 01:02 AM   #12
BASKETBALL 101

BASKETBALL 101 is on a distinguished road

Yes he did, it was taped at Nicks' in The Colony.
Old 02-24-2002, 01:02 AM   #13
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

<< Tim Hardaway had his own show? >>

Yeah, it was on every Wednesday for an hour on ESPN 103.3 FM. I never had never really listened to it much. This past Wednesday was my first time to tune in, although I had heard about it before.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 01:12 AM   #14
Epitome22
Golden Member

What did he do on it? what was the conent of the show?
Old 02-24-2002, 01:57 AM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Excuse me if I don't cry tears for Timmy...I liked the guy and all, but he gets paid millions to play a game. If he can't deal with a trade, then too friggin bad! He needs thicker skin. I didn't read a bad tone in the article per se, but trades are part of this game and as a long time player he knows that.

Doc
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 06:13 AM   #16
MFFL
Guru

Nellie was right - trades are the ugly side of doing business in the NBA. But at least they still have a job where they make millions of dollars a year.
Old 02-24-2002, 09:25 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i feel sorry for timmy..i like the guy..he played well for the mavs.. but tough...sorry..the mavs got better at your expense.. but guess what..the mavs got better
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote