Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-22-2015, 10:59 AM   #41
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStandard View Post
The more tape i watch the more i think Hollis-Jefferson is the perfect pick.

Absolute elite Defender. He takes great pride in defending. Reminds me of a young Bruce Bowen. With our biggest weakness (especially perimeter D) being his biggest strenghts i wouldnt miss on this one.

We may need to move up though.
I'd bet $10 that he's gone before 15, but I agree-- he'd be a fantastic fit. I watched him a lot out here in Arizona and I like his game a lot.Just tons of motor and plays like a more talented Jae Crowder
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2015, 10:54 PM   #42
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Chad Ford and Jay Bilas did a joint mock via twitter-

https://twitter.com/THEaaronHOFF/sta...038849/photo/1

-unrelated note- Chad Ford and Jay Bilas never stopped eating paste as kids.

X-mas has come early for the Lakers as they have Towns fall in their laps, oh but that's not enough to get the Lakers back on track so Delon Wright also falls right to them. Questions surrounding Cavs future with Love? Well it's a good thing Portis just happens to fall right to them. He can go anywhere starting at 11 with the Pacers but he will slide all the way to 24, that's convenient. I have so many issues with this mock...

I like Anderson... but if Portis is there at the mavs pick, especially if those top pg's are gone... and my choices are Tyus Jones, Justin Anderson Delon Wright, Or Bobby Portis... Maybe I just like Portis more than most or something but he's skilled and has the frame to be versatile to guard inside and out... in today's NBA those don't grow on trees. Picking a 3 and D guy over that would have me tearing my remaining hair out, and I'm one of the people who like Anderson.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:13 AM   #43
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Portis is basically Brandan Wright, so of course I'd love him, but it may not be our highest need.

Rondae H-J and Justin Anderson would be my to two target.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:00 AM   #44
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Portis is not similar to Wright, he's an average athlete with a great motor that knows how to rebound and is a solid defender. Also the odds of rondae being gone before 15 are low.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:01 AM   #45
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Rondae kind of overlaps with Aminu, if they bring Aminu back don't see how he gets minutes. I like Rondae too but want a guy that can contribute in year 1 and there will be players available that can this year
Old 06-23-2015, 01:15 AM   #46
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming the Wright reference was an expected production comparison and not a type of player comparison I agree. I wouldn't expect more than 8/6 type numbers especially as a rookie playing for RC. However with Portis being a stretch 4 getting 2 years with Dirk and him being a guy at least projected as a 11-17 pick... That sure sounds nice to me. The consensus is that this is a 2+ year rebuild to get back to top contender like status thanks to the Rondo failure. Just the thought of Dirk mentoring Portis and a guy like TC influencing him on defense... I think he can contribute now and be good for the future. I hate Ford and Bilas for making me think such wonderful thoughts.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #47
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Figures...

Quote:
Eddie Sefko ‏@ESefko 2h2 hours ago
Hearing whispers that Mavericks are getting lots of inquiries about the 21st draft pick. Sounds like they may be in a dealing mood.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #48
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

If we trade down it would have to be to lose Felton's salary. I don't mind that but if it costs us someone like Anderson, Hunter, Jones, Grant, Wright it's going to be hard to swallow.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #49
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Ugh

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-23-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:17 AM   #50
GermanStandard

GermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to behold

Cuban and Nelson hate drafting, because they suck at it. Thats why they always look for a deal to trade away the picks.

I bet we will trade away the pick for a 2nd string PG or sth..

-------------------------------------------------

Baller from the G'
GermanStandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:02 AM   #51
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
If we trade down it would have to be to lose Felton's salary.
If we ditched Felton, we could sign a max player like Aldridge or Jordan and still have enough money to get a quality guard like Dragic or Green (who are both good/young enough to justify giving up anyone we'll get with the 21st pick).

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:15 AM   #52
GermanStandard

GermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
If we ditched Felton, we could sign a max player like Aldridge or Jordan and still have enough money to get a quality guard like Dragic or Green (who are both good/young enough to justify giving up anyone we'll get with the 21st pick).
Dragic will probably get a Max Contract.

How do we get two Max Contracts under the Cap and still fill the bench?

Baller from the G'
Old 06-24-2015, 02:31 AM   #53
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I know he's asking for max, but I've read a couple reports that suggest he could be had for as low as $14m per year, especially if it's a 1 or 2 year deal with the idea of maxing out when the cap spikes... But Green is probably a more realistic option (if he doesn't bleed silver & black).

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-24-2015 at 02:40 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:46 AM   #54
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:

Dragic's max is 5 yr 115m approx. Stein reported the heat will offer Dragic 5yr 80m type deal. I'm not saying it's likely but if there was a way to get a "core" of Dragic/Green/Matthews, Jordan/LMA, CP this year(hopefully with Aminu getting mid level)... then I'd worry about the bench next year. It's gonna take more than a year. You could argue the hard part is getting the core big names. The easy part would be filling a bench when we have 20m cap influx next year. If it's just a trade down scenario of a couple spots to make it happen I think we could still get one of the guys we want.

I have more faith than others do in our front office. It may not be fun to never have a new draft pick to cheer for or provide youthful hope to the franchise but it's pretty fun being a perennial 50win team in the West. Sure Dirk gets most of the credit but it's not like we don't use the assets we have in some kind of capacity to try and build a roster. KG was "pretty good" in his prime and he couldn't field perrenial 50win teams cuz he had a lousy FO in minny. The whole Donnie is bad at drafting is a misnomer to me. Everyone knows how he wanted greek freak but Cuban wanted to maintain every penny he could in hopes of landing a FA because that's what he thought was best. Mistake or not Donnie wanted the freak so it's not like he is blind to talent.

All that being said I will still throw my phone out the proverbial window if we have a chance at my two favorites of Hunter or Anderson and miss out due to a trade. I have faith they will make w/e work I just may not like how it gets done is all.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:51 AM   #55
GermanStandard

I think your in for a big disappointment in hopes of Hunter or Anderson. Mavs will likely trade the pick away or draft someone unknown or reach as usual

Baller from the G'
Old 06-24-2015, 03:02 AM   #56
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think your in for a big disappointment in hopes of Hunter or Anderson. Mavs will likely trade the pick away or draft someone unknown or reach as usual
The reverse-jynx... well played.

We are bound to get someone productive eventually. I mean the whole blind squirrel's find a nut too once in a while eh ehhhhh?
Old 06-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #57
GermanStandard

Its rumoured that the Mavs are very high on Mudiay and want to get a Deal done with Ellis to ship him to Orlando in exchange for the pick.

Baller from the G'
Old 06-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #58
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Its rumoured that the Mavs are very high on Mudiay and want to get a Deal done with Ellis to ship him to Orlando in exchange for the pick.
Source?
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:51 AM   #59
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This only happens if Ellis opts in which is highly unlikely. And yes, post a source please.

I'm leaning towards RJ Hunter. He reeks of a poor man's Steph Curry/Kevin Martin which is good enough for the 21st pick. If he shoots as well as advertised, then his ceiling could be a 15+ ppg guy.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #60
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Even if true, that rumor is made 100% more difficult by the fact that Ellis just opted out. We have Bird Rights on him, but SnTs are infinitely more difficult, and he's now an UFA.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #61
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
This only happens if Ellis opts in which is highly unlikely. And yes, post a source please.

I'm leaning towards RJ Hunter. He reeks of a poor man's Steph Curry/Kevin Martin which is good enough for the 21st pick. If he shoots as well as advertised, then his ceiling could be a 15+ ppg guy.
I've admittedly never seen Hunter play but am wary of him because of his college shooting #s. I can't think of a single player who was that inefficient in college who panned out in the pros.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #62
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Hunter will be the next Adam Morrison
Old 06-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #63
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Hunter will be the next Adam Morrison
Thanks Donnie! Glad to know you'll be trading for two second round picks anyway.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:41 PM   #64
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
I've admittedly never seen Hunter play but am wary of him because of his college shooting #s. I can't think of a single player who was that inefficient in college who panned out in the pros.
His defense is horrible from what I'm hearing so I'd pass even though I've been touting him the past few weeks.
I'd rather trade the pick for a couple 2nd rounders if that is the best we can do.
Maybe get lucky and pickup Upshaw and Rozier.

Last edited by rimrocker; 06-24-2015 at 12:41 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:53 PM   #65
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
His defense is horrible from what I'm hearing so I'd pass even though I've been touting him the past few weeks.
I'd rather trade the pick for a couple 2nd rounders if that is the best we can do.
Maybe get lucky and pickup Upshaw and Rozier.
I thought he was just lacking experience in defense. He was in a zone matchup scheme defense not a man to man defense. Which considering we run zone's so much to make up for our lack of defense it might actually not be horrible for us that he has experience in zone.

I also just assume whoever we get late in the first round is not going to start for us. Even if it's a pg I expect a vet to start. So if Hunter can come off bench and provide shooting and spacing i'm cool with that.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:49 PM   #66
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
I also just assume whoever we get late in the first round is not going to start for us. Even if it's a pg I expect a vet to start. So if Hunter can come off bench and provide shooting and spacing i'm cool with that.
Bingo.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:07 PM   #67
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

The real issue with this team right now isn't role players...those are a dime a dozen, the real issue is lack of stardom.

If we can package Felton with the pick to clear space to make room for 2 solid young star or potential star quality players and pickup a 2nd rounder in the process I'd rather go that route than roll the dice on someone like Hunter while keeping Felton's contract.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:43 PM   #68
DirkMFFL

DirkMFFL is infamous around these partsDirkMFFL is infamous around these partsDirkMFFL is infamous around these partsDirkMFFL is infamous around these partsDirkMFFL is infamous around these partsDirkMFFL is infamous around these parts

1st round players I would like

1.) Jerian Grant
2.) Bobby Portis
3.) Montrezl Harrell
4.) Devin Booker
5.) RJ Hunter

2nd round players I would like

1.) Robert Upshaw
2.) Andrew Harrison
DirkMFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:20 AM   #69
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Draftexpress has us taking Delon Wright. Kinda sad because he would be a good fit with Ellis. 6'6 and a good defending pg.

Honestly, there is enough rotation talent in the entire first round, so I wouldn't be too upset trading down as long as it rid us of Felton.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #70
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Draftexpress has us taking Delon Wright. Kinda sad because he would be a good fit with Ellis. 6'6 and a good defending pg.

Honestly, there is enough rotation talent in the entire first round, so I wouldn't be too upset trading down as long as it rid us of Felton.
I forgot the numbers, but someone at Balldontlie ran the numbers and Draftexpress got the predictions wrong more than anyone else. Something like 5% correct over 15 years. I think NBAdraft.net was the best (surprisingly) and ESPN was second best.

Delon will be available in the second round, I'm pretty sure.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-25-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #71
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
and ESPN was second best.
Is this before or after Chad Ford's "assistant" alters his predictions?
Old 06-25-2015, 03:10 PM   #72
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Is this before or after Chad Ford's "assistant" alters his predictions?
Good point. I want to find the year it was published to see.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:18 PM   #73
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
I forgot the numbers, but someone at Balldontlie ran the numbers and Draftexpress got the predictions wrong more than anyone else. Something like 5% correct over 15 years. I think NBAdraft.net was the best (surprisingly) and ESPN was second best.

Delon will be available in the second round, I'm pretty sure.
All the better to inevitably trade down.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #74
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

If Portis drops to us and we don't take him, I'd be shocked. He is being critically undervalued, IMO. He has great size, is still super young, is a fantastic kid with a strong work ethic, rebounds well, and he can score inside or out. I think he's got the capacity to be a long time all star. His defense could look bad at times, but normally due to Mike Anderson's defensive strategy of allowing him to switch onto guards 35 ft from the basket (stupid). What sets him apart from most college players is just straight up desire. He just always seems to give everything he's got. I think that'll translate well to any franchise.

(biased Arkansas spiel over)
Old 06-26-2015, 12:22 PM   #75
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
I think Tyus Jones is long gone by the time the Mavs pick. I'd love to see them get Justin Anderson, he'd be a great 3-and-D wing, tremendous athlete, nearly 7 foot wingspan, NBA-ready frame.
Got a scouting report for us? Nice call btw.