Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 07-13-2001, 09:31 AM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

CNNSI
Great call of China
IOC awards 2008 Games to favored Beijing
Posted: Friday July 13, 2001

MOSCOW (AP) -- Beijing was awarded the 2008 Olympics on Friday, winning the games for the world's most populous country for the first time.

The International Olympic Committee picked China over rival bids from Toronto, Paris, Istanbul and Osaka. Beijing won on the second round of a secret ballot, by receiving 56 votes.

It defeated Toronto (22), Paris (18) and Istanbul (nine). Osaka was eliminated in the first round of voting, with six votes.

Despite criticism of China's human rights record, Beijing was the front-runner throughout the race. IOC members espoused the view that the Olympics would help open China to the world, improve the human rights situation and speed social and economic reforms. Beijing's victory came seven years after it lost to Sydney by two votes in the election for the 2000 Olympics. Human rights issue were a factor in that defeat, with memories of the 1989 crackdown on pro-democracy demonstrators in Tiananmen Square still fresh.

The 2008 bid was also targeted by human rights activists, who said giving the games to China would reward a Communist regime that brutally represses its citizens and occupies Tibet.

But many IOC members -- as well as some politicians -- embraced the position that the Olympics would promote positive change in the country of 1.3 billion people.

IOC officials also said China deserved the games because it is a rising sports power which has been a force in the Olympics since returning to the games in 1984 after a 32-year absence.

Toronto and Paris had cast themselves as risk-free "bids of certainty." Toronto portrayed itself as the best bid for the athletes, while Paris played on its allure as the world's favorite tourist city.

But Toronto was hurt by the controversy surrounding its mayor, Mel Lastman, who remarked recently that he feared attending an Olympic meeting in Africa because "I just see myself in a pot of boiling water with all these natives dancing around me."

African IOC members raised the matter during Toronto's presentation to the general assembly Friday. Canadian officials said Lastman had offered his apologies. Lastman was left off Toronto's official team at the ceremony.

Paris, meanwhile, was unable to convince members to keep the Olympics in Europe for a third straight time after the 2004 Summer Games in Athens and 2006 Winter Games in Turin, Italy.

The award of the 2008 city was the first of two major decisions being taken by the IOC at its 112th session. On Monday, the IOC will elect a successor to Juan Antonio Samaranch, who is stepping down after 21 years in office.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2001, 11:38 AM   #2
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Are those the olympics that Dallas was in the running for?
Old 07-13-2001, 12:10 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

no, 2012
actually, this is good for dallas..
if toronto would have won the olympics for 2008, the north american continent probably wouldn't have been in the running for the olympics in 2012...it's very rare that the same continent is awarded the olympics twice in a row
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 02:14 PM   #4
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Yeah, this greatly improves Dallas chances of getting the 2012 games.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 02:18 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

that would be soooo sweet..although i don't even know if i'll be in the area at that time..
just think, dirk will be 34 and will be a couple of years past his prime, still averaging 24 a game, and 10 boards...he'll have rapped up his 11th all-star appearance......
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 08:35 PM   #6
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

That´s sick. How could they give it to china? China doesn´t care for human rights at all. Actually the chinese governement kills people everyday, they wiped out Tibet.
That just shows how sick and corrupt the IOC is. It´s all about the money...
Just think about it guys. I understand you want the games in Dallas 2012 and you are happy your chances improved, but actually when I look at this IOC I wouldn´t want their games at all.
I can´t believe it´s China (I knew it before, like everyone knew it), but still that´s sick.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote