Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 07-13-2001, 08:53 PM   #41
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Aren't the later stages Armstrongs best/strongest stages? If I remember correctly, he's always falls behind the first few days and then comes back in the moutain stages. I guess training in the Texas hill country is a big plus. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2001, 09:19 PM   #42
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Armstrong is at his best right from the beginning. He just doesn´t care if he falls back in the first stages, because these stages are flat. There are often groups of drivers that reach the end of the stage before the favorites. But those groups only have a chance to gain minutes if the field doesn´t go full speed. If one of the favorites (Armstrong, Ullrich etc.) was in one of those groups the field (the other teams) would go full speed and the group wouldn´t have a chance. If Armstrong would attack now some of Ullrichs or Belokis helpers would catch him back.
In the mountains it´s different. Only a few drivers in each team to climb mountains well. So if Armstrong or Ullrich attack there, the other teams have less options (drivers) to counter the attack. The last option is the strongest driver of the team itsself. So that´s what you usually see at the last mountain of a real mountain stage (Hore or premiere category). The helpers are tired then and just not good enough to follow the favorites any more. So you usually have a group of 5-10 drivers fighting for overall time and (sometimes) for the stage win (if they didn´t let someone go earlier on). And that´s the moment were someone like Armstrong or Ullrich attacks, cause his direct rivel must counter, if he can. If not he will lose time.
So regarding your question: Armstrong is in top shape allready. He just doesn´t care right now. He only cares for Beloki, Botero, Ullrich and Moreau. He will wait to attack these until Monday at least. But perhaps Ullrich will attack ánd gain time (I hope so). Anyways they will battle it out man to man. Armstrong has a tactical advantage though because he has Heras who is a very good mountain climber. He could very well be in that group of the 5 best, and if he attacks Ullrich must react while Armstrong can watch and save energy. I just hope Livingston will do the same for Ullrich.
And lastly: Ullrich is known for getting stronger from stage to stage, cause he often isn´t in good shape at the beginning of the tour.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 11:21 PM   #43
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Damn, you sure do know your cycling. All I know about cycling is Lance Armstrong. lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 11:30 PM   #44
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

fidel - you made me feel like I was in a Peanuts special. You know, the adults talk and all the kids hear is "waa, waa, wawaa". LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 11:33 PM   #45
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Yeah...that's like me whenever dj starts talking computers.
Old 07-15-2001, 12:13 PM   #46
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Hehe, thanks guys,
I guess that´s a European thing. To be interested in cycling. As you know it has a really long tradition over here. The first time you guys might have noticed the Tour de France was when Greg LeMond won it 3 times. He was great, I really liked him.
Todays stage was a pretty good example of what i mentioned. There was a group of 15 drivers that gained 35 min. to the field (the largest margin ever in the history of the Tour). O´Grady has now 35 min. advantage to Armstrong/ Ullrich/ Beloki. Simon (a french driver) has 30 min. Still that won´t be enough for them in the mountains. Maybe O´Grady can hold on to the lead for one or two stages in the mountains, but after all is said and done he will have lost hours. Simon could be a little better, but I don´t think he´s a real threat, he was 58th last year, and lost over 2 hours overall.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 12:19 AM   #47
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Uh...here's the other thread Fidel.