Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-17-2001, 09:34 AM   #1
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

Anyone see his great catch last night- ala willie mays?? And two home-runs. Speaking of home-runs...HE will be the next home run champion. He WILL pass the Great Hank Aaron. 445 and counting... There are a few things that worry me- another strike (which is very possible next year), and him being injury prone. But- I just have a feeling- JR GRIFFEY will do it!!!
Old 07-17-2001, 11:12 AM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in total agreement with you reeds. Junior is one of the greatest players in MLB history and should wind up as the all-time home run king.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 11:24 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i hope he does end up with the crown....always been a big fan of his
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 07:58 PM   #4
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Yeah, but he sucks. Remember...he doesn't have a championship. Anyways, Sosa will pass him in 2 years.
Old 07-19-2001, 08:11 PM   #5
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

They'll both be passed by A-Rod when it's all said and done. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 08:46 AM   #6
NotEnuffEyesToSee

NotEnuffEyesToSee is on a distinguished road

I'm not a Sosa's fan, but he'll be the man ...
Jr has no chance, all those injuries and look at his batting average,
it's getting worse, that's a BAD sign ...
Sammy looks solid and strong and he hit already 31 dingers
but he got struck out too many times, that hurts ...
but wait, ARod is coming ...
Too many lives to lead Not enough time
It's too late
NotEnuffEyesToSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 09:05 AM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

NEW YORK POST
TEN BIG BATS METS CAN GET
July 20, 2001

THE pipe dream is Ken Griffey Jr., and that is not happening.

The Mets need a run producer, preferably left-handed. Since forcing his way to Cincinnati after the 1999 season, Griffey has not had the homecoming hero experience. The team has lost. He has struggled with both injuries and output. At times churlish behavior has hurt his reputation and dimmed his status as baseball's No. 1 star. Coming to New York would provide an opportunity to re-start his fame and game.

But Reds GM Jim Bowden said, "We're not trading Ken Griffey Jr. We traded for him so that he could end his career as a Red. End of discussion."

Griffey accepted a below-market, nine-year deal at $116.5 million, with nearly half deferred without interest, to make going to the Reds feasible. His agent, Brian Goldberg, said, "You never say never" about a trade, but that his client's family-related reasons for wanting to be in Cincinnati "have not changed."

Goldberg also said a trade did not make sense because Griffey has multi-year, regional endorsement deals with Reds owner Carl Lindner and because fans bought private suites at a new Reds stadium to open in 2003 with the promise Griffey would be aiming at the short right-field porch and Hank Aaron's all-time homer record.

Can you say class-action suit?

So if not Griffey, who can be the big bat the 2002 Mets need? Free-agents-to-be Barry Bonds and Jason Giambi? The very available Jermaine Dye? Here are 10 less-familiar possibilities:

1. MO VAUGHN - A huge risk. He will not play this year due to a torn bi ceps. He is working out three days a week and hopes to play in the Dominican Winter League. He would have to show full health next spring to be moved.

So why him? Disney ownership would love to move the three years at $42 million he has left. Anaheim needs a shortstop, a first baseman and negotiated last offseason with Steve Trachsel. Would they take on the $22.25 million owed Rey Ordonez, Todd Zeile and Trachsel to save about $20 million overall on Vaughn? Vaughn and Bobby Valentine are both Connecticut guys.

2. NORIHIRO NAKAMURA - The righty, power-hitting third basemen for Kintetsu is a free agent after the Japanese season. He has tried to defuse States talk because the Buffaloes lead the Pacific League for the first time in 12 years. But the feeling is he is coming.

The Mets can use a leadoff hitter, as well, and Seibu's switch-hitting speedster shortstop Kazuo Matsui might be available in the same posting system that enabled Seattle to sign Ichiro Suzuki. Mets assistant GM Omar Minaya was recently in Japan and watched Matsui. Valentine's Japanese managerial stint gives the Mets some advantages.

3. GARY SHEFFIELD - OK, it didn't work in spring, but this is not dead. With major injuries to pitchers with long-term contracts (Kevin Brown, Darren Dreifort and Andy Ashby) plus the need to try re-signing free-agent-to-be Chan Ho Park, the Dodgers may have to clear a position player's salary. Sheffield has two years at $20.5 million and Shawn Green has four years at $59.75 million, but both have no-trade clauses.

4. RAFAEL PALMEIRO -There has been talk about the Mets obtaining Ivan Rodriguez from Texas and moving Mike Piazza to first. But Piazza has no desire to change positions. Like the Dodgers, the Rangers may use position players to get pitching. How about Palmeiro (two years at $18 million) for Zeile, Glendon Rusch and Jae Seo?

5. MOISES ALOU - The Ellis Burks of the upcoming free-agent class; an extremely professional hitter with a dubious health history. But like fellow free-agent-to-be Juan Gonzalez, Alou spurned a trade to the Yanks last year because he does not like New York.

6. SCOTT ROLEN - He is being booed in Philly, is a free agent after next season, is hesitant to go long-term with the Phils and has a poor relationship with manager Larry Bowa. But there are questions about his durability and whether he will ever be as good as he was projected to be.

7. SEAN CASEY - Put the Cincinnati first baseman with Minnesota's Matt Lawton and Kansas City's Mike Sweeney as players who could become available because they are on the verge of becoming too expensive for their employers.

8. RAUL MONDESI - Mondesi is probably the most accomplished current player never to drive in 100 runs. Still, he brings defense, speed, power and two years at $24 million left on his deal.

9. RONDELL WHITE - Injured yet again, so he might not make the 502 plate appearances that vest his option. His frailty scares teams, but he can really hit a fastball.

10. TIM SALMON - Available from the Angels for the same reasons as Vaughn: too much money remaining (four years, $38 million) plus age (32) and injury have begun robbing his skills.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 05:49 PM   #8
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

NotEnufEyes2C...Sosa's already the man.
Old 07-20-2001, 06:03 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i'll boycott baseball if sosa holds the all-time homerun record
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 06:15 PM   #10
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Oh no...what will baseball do!?
Old 07-21-2001, 12:35 PM   #11
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

SOSA over GRIFFEY??? GIVE me a break- that wont happen- PERIOD. You look, research whatever. Find out how many home runs SOSA had when he was the Kids age. In fact- I might if i get the time. I know for a fact that he is at least TWO years behind the kids pace, if fact- im almost certain its more like three years. So, three years @50 dingers a year- and what do you have? He will fall short- WAY SHORT. Of course injuries play a part, and Griffey has had some bad luck. But that could change, and my guess is it will. Griffey is still on pace. When he hits 500- next year if they dont strike and he stays healthy, he will be the youngest player to get there. And then throw in the fact that SOSA couldnt catch a cold let alone a baseball in the outfield- OK, thats another story, Ill stop. But- Griffey came in as a KID-hence the name, and he got a big head-start on SOSA. Born Nov.21st, 1969. He came up to the bigs in 1989, as a rookie, 19 years old, broke his finger, missed 6 weeks, and still hit 16 homers. It was all uphill from there. Sweetest swing in the game, best outfielder in the game- Period... SOSA is nice- and probably a bit better home-run hitter- NOW, but you have to look at the big picture. He started late, and father time is not on his side.

A ROD is another story. He has a chance- a good chance..but im praying its the KID who it the next home run king...
Old 07-22-2001, 12:37 AM   #12
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

I'll admit that I was kidding about Sosa being the new homerun king. He became a homerun hitter way too late, he came into the league skinny but now he benches 500. I was suprised that it took this long for someone to jump on me for it. But He has really improved his fielding and speed, so I resent that can't catch a cold remark. And I'll agree that Giffey has the sweetest swing and is arguably the best fielder in the game.
Old 07-22-2001, 12:42 AM   #13
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Sosa did crank 2 MONSTER homers today against the Astros. And the win puts them back 3 games in first place.
Old 07-22-2001, 09:36 AM   #14
NotEnuffEyesToSee

Jr is great, and I like his swing ... I just like Sammy over Jr ...
you'll probably know Sammy's homerun pace and batting average are much better than Jr in recent years.
THAT means Sammy knows how to HIT and I bet he'll hit over 60 homerun this year ...
but I'm not impressed by any homerun hitters, I like Nomar, Gonzo, Gwynn type of player ...
ONLY Big Mac vs Sammy was awesome, AWESOME indeed !!!
It's too late
Old 07-22-2001, 03:18 PM   #15
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Man...you always seem to find a way to please everyone.
Old 07-23-2001, 06:35 AM   #16
NotEnuffEyesToSee

I'll admit I've been trying to suck up to you guys b/c I like you guys ...
I like every Mavs fan, every Dirk's fan and every lakers' HATER [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ...
It's too late
Old 07-23-2001, 06:42 AM   #17
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

You're my man NEETS!
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 07:07 AM   #18
NotEnuffEyesToSee

NEETS !? I find that NEAT !!! I like that !!! Vielen Dank !!!
You're my man, too !!!!!
mavs.exit.de, what do you say "You're my man" in German ?
It's too late
Old 07-23-2001, 07:13 AM   #19
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

So where are you from when not from Germany?

I don't think there's a real expression for that in German, maybe: "Du bist mein Mann!", but that sounds gay!

NEETS is NotEnuffEyesToSee, ok?
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 07:45 AM   #20
NotEnuffEyesToSee

NEETS for NotEnuffI's2C is OK !!! and it sounds NEAT !!!
"Du bist mein Mann!" sounds gay ? a gay is not OK !!!
let's settle for "You're my man!" ...
It's too late