Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 07-12-2004, 05:33 PM   #1
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default What does your future Mavs Offseason look like?

Thought this would be a good discussion point.

We now have a pretty good idea that Nash is leaving us. We know that we still have Walker and an overabundance of contracts on board. What does the remainder of your offseason look like for the Mavs?

Here's mine.

1. 1 trade with 4 players but done over 2 trades due to technicalities.

The essence of the trade is Walker/Laettner for GP/Grant. Since Laetter and Grant can't be packaged together, we send Walker for Grant and Payton for Laettner. The Lakers get Cap relief and rent a Walker for a year. They slide Odom over to the 3 spot, or they can reship Walker off to GS for Dampier. Dallas takes GP to replace Nash for a year.

2. The Mavs sign the Mailman to the LLE.
You can slide Dirk over to the 3 spot or play Dirk at the 4 and have Malone play the 5. Or if you can talk the Mailman into it, start Grant at the 5 spot, and bring the Mailman in for Dirk to preserve him for the playoffs.

3. Package Delk/Fortson/$3M in cash and send them to Atlanta for a second round pick. The Mavs create a trade exception and get out from 2 contracts with a few years left on them.

4. I assume a few things here. I assume LA wants some salary cap flexibility. I also assume that Atlanta has a hard time signing any players and just needs some bodies to fill out their roster. I also assume that nobody is stupid enough to take on Wahad's contract. Hopefully, Malone will sign for the Mavs and give them a home town discount.

Your roster shapes up like this:
Payton/Harris/Steffanson
Daniels/Stackhouse/Wahad
Finley/Howard
Dirk/Grant/Najera
Malone/Mbenga/Bradley/Pavel

Your IR looks like this: Wahad/Pavel/Steffanson

Not too bad.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2004, 06:03 PM   #2
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough
Default RE:What does your future Mavs Offseason look like?

All nice ideas.
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:03 PM   #3
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough

I am unfamiliar with this a bit, but how does the ATL trade create a MLE? Just curious.

I don't think Malone at the 5 is good. I would like him in Dallas. How about L8ner instead of Delk which would give ATL an expiring contract? I know very little about what Grant would bring however that would leave a back-up open for the mailman. Then we could send Delk and Najera to CLE for Big Z, or to GS for Dampier in a S&T. Personally, I like Damp more than Z but Z may be more consistant.
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 07:52 PM   #4
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

My offseason first acquiring a good center perhaps Dampier or Big Z. Next coax the Lakers into some sort of Deal for GP
GP/Harris.
Stackhouse
Daniels/Finley
Dirk/Najera
BigZ

Trade Waker and Steffanson for Big Z.
Turn around and trade Laetner and a future number one for GP.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 08:22 PM   #5
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road
Default RE: What does your future Mavs Offseason look like?

My plan for the off-season is to try and send Laetner to LA for Payton. If Payton is making enough noise, LA will let him out and resign Fisher. It also seems to me they have an obvious hole and could use a decent 4/5 player. The expiring contract is a plus.

Meanwhile, they should be shopping Walker for a 5 and trying to lure Malone here with the promise of another ring.

I wouldn't mind Grant and Malone in the frontcourt together, but I'm not sure if the rules would allow something like that, and if forced to choose I'd rather do the payton deal given the amount of other teams (GS, Cleveland, etc) who might deal us a quality center.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:05 PM   #6
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't help the Lakers out by taking Grant - Walker is much more valuable than that. L8 for Payton is OK but why bother - the Lakers will probably release Payton so we could pick him up for either the LLE or the vet mininum (the Lakers will pay the rest of his salary).

Atlanta is going to want a much bigger tip to take those two contracts off of our hands. We'd probably have to trade Delk/Fortson AND a first round pick for their 2nd round pick. Again, why bother?
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 12:30 AM   #7
uweblab

uweblab is on a distinguished road
Default RE: What does your future Mavs Offseason look like?

My offseason for the Mavs has them signing Dampier at below 10 mil a season, then either trade L8 for GP or hope that he can figure out a buyout with the LAL. Finally I would trade A. Walker to somebody, maybe to the Bulls for T. Chandler and E. Rob or finally do the much rumored deal of Walker for Kurt Thomas.

Payton/Harris/Steffanson
Daniels/Stackhouse/Wahad
Finley/Howard
Dirk/Thomas/Najera
Dampier/Bradley/Mbenga/Pavel

or

Payton/Harris/Steffanson
Daniels/Stackhouse/Wahad
Finley/Howard/E.Rob
Dirk/T. Chandler/Najera
Dampier/Bradley/Mbenga/Pavel
uweblab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 02:23 AM   #8
GIGEMLAW

GIGEMLAW is on a distinguished road

This is my first official post. But, I have been watchings these boards for a couple of years now.

What would I do to put the Humpty-Mavs back on the wall?

Start with what he have here.

Harris/Steffanson/AJ
Daniels/Finley/Stackhouse/Delk
Howard/TAW
Dirk/Walker/Fortson/Najera
Bradley/Laetner/Benga

We presently have the rights to Sekularac, P-Pod, and Flores. I don't think I missed anyone.

Here is what I think the Mavs should do.

1. Trade Walker plus the rights to Flores for Ilgauskas.
2. Trade Finley, Bradley, Fortson, Delk, and Future 1st Rounder for Rose and Carter.

This gives you a line-up of:

Rose/Harris/Steffanson/AJ
Daniels/Stackhouse
Carter/Howard/TAW
Dirk/Najera
Ilgauskas/Laetner/Benga/P-Pod

IR should be: TAW, P-Pod, and AJ

(This obviously isn't a permanet rotation because clearly Daniels could play the 1 or 3 as well, plus Rose could play the 2, Carter could play the 2 or 3, Laetner could play the 4 or 5 as could Benga)

What does this do for the Mavs - They get younger and more talented. They would still have one expiring contract in Laetner to trade, if necessary. They decrease there roster size. They upgrade at center, small forward, and point guard. They add a vet scoring PG to help train Harris. They add a small forward that could help with Howard and Daniels. They get rid of Walker and Finley's horrible contract. However, they do take on Carter's contract for 4 years and Rose's for 3 years. It's amazing that Rose is the higher paid person on the Raptors. Basically, Rose washes with Finley on contracts except Rose expires one year earlier. Carter's is 4 years compared to Delk's 2 years, Fortson's 3 years, and Bradley's 3 years.

What does this do for the Raptors - They get rid of the complaining Carter and dump Rose's contract. They get a few things they desparately need: a center (Bradley will be better in the East, less O'Neal's arrival), a starting shooting guard in Finley, rebounding to backup Bosh in Fortson, and Delk to serve as a backup SG to Finley. Plus, they get a future 1st rounder out of it.

What does this do for the Cavs - They replace Boozer and get a young PG to work as a backup. After all, James is no PG. I believe all they have is Kevin Ollie. Flores should be able to compete as a young backup PG with shooting skills.

That would be ideal for the Mavs. I am not sure that Toronto would do it unless they hit get rid of the cancer mode. Cavs could be quite realistic since they have two serviceable centers behind Ilgauskas, and are in need of a PF. Not sure if Walker fits the bill, however.

One other thought. Instead of the Toronto deal, how about a trade with New Orleans for Mashburn?

GIGEMLAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 03:13 AM   #9
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Ahh there´s your brilliant Walker trade Aex. Sure Walker for Grant is much better then Walker/Bradley/Najera for NVE/Dampier/Esch lol. And then you´d have to give up another trade chip in Leattner for a PG, but you are talking about giving up trade chips in the other thread.

Atlanta wouldn´t do the proposed deal.

If we do sign the mailman and he can play (questionable, he allready had injury problems last year and is not getting younger) Dirk would play the 5 again which is bad.

Overall your proposed trades would maybe help us short term (I even doubt that) but we´d be much worse middle or long term compared to the trades discussed here.

You´d basicly be giving away all our trade chips for nothing. I asked you to be realistic in the other thread but Brian Grant? That´s being a bit too realistic. I really think we can do better then getting a backup PF.

If Malone doesn´t sign or is hurt you´d be looking at a frontcourt of Fin (out of position), Dirk and Mbenga. Wow. And Payton also is a question mark.

I´d definitly prefer this:

PG: NVE / Harris
SG: Daniels / Crawford / Stackhouse
SF: Howard / Stackhouse / Pippen
PF: Nowitzki / Laettner / JYD
C: Dampier / Chandler / Mbenga

And in this scenario you could still try to sign the Mailman for the LLE just as a bonus and play him as a backup PF and maybe backup C whenever he´s healthy. So you´d get this:

PG: NVE / Harris
SG: Daniels / Crawford / Stackhouse
SF: Howard / Stackhouse / Pippen
PF: Nowitzki / Malone / Laettner
C: Dampier / Chandler / Malone

You´d get rid of Fortson, Delk, Flores, Bradley, Najera, Podkolzine in the other trades so your injured reserve is Mbenga, Stefansson, TAW.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 03:41 AM   #10
Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
I wouldn't help the Lakers out by taking Grant - Walker is much more valuable than that. L8 for Payton is OK but why bother - the Lakers will probably release Payton so we could pick him up for either the LLE or the vet mininum (the Lakers will pay the rest of his salary).

Atlanta is going to want a much bigger tip to take those two contracts off of our hands. We'd probably have to trade Delk/Fortson AND a first round pick for their 2nd round pick. Again, why bother?

Totally agree.
Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 03:50 AM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

why would LA drop Payton?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:32 AM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
He is whining and demanding a buyout right now.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 10:01 AM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
He is whining and demanding a buyout right now.
I just read the new thread. He's old and he wants to be able to play without trying. O'neal helped him do that.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote