Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-28-2001, 11:09 PM   #1
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Who would you pick?

If you were starting an NBA team, had the number 1 pick and could select any current player in the NBA to start your franchise, who would you pick?

I'd say Kevin Garnett. He's an all around complete player.

Followed closely by Duncan.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2001, 11:20 PM   #2
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Garnett
Duncan
Shaq
T-MAC
Kobe
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 11:50 PM   #3
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

1. Kevin Garnett
2. Vince Carter
3. Allen Iverson
4. Chris Webber
5. Steve Francis
Old 03-01-2001, 01:37 PM   #4
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

WOW, you'd pick Francis before you'd pick Shaq or Kobe.

Old 03-01-2001, 04:06 PM   #5
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

Wang Zhi Zhi... Nevermind.
I'd Pick Shaq First. Its hard not to have the most dominant center in the game right now on your team (even if he can't shoot free throws). With the other PF out there, they are all real good, but how can you argue Garnett vs. Duncan vs. Webber, etc. There are alot of great PF, but 1 center stands above the rest right now. The Deisel. And I hate the Lakers, so this is saying alot from me.
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 04:12 PM   #6
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I agree giostar. The only reason I had him behind Garnett and Duncan was because they're both significantly younger and also capable of almost single-handedly carrying a team.
Old 03-01-2001, 04:44 PM   #7
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Same here DJ. Shaq's would be 3rd on my list too. For the same reasons. And also because I'd want more athleticism on my team then Shaq has. That's why I'd take Garnett.

Old 03-01-2001, 04:47 PM   #8
Hales233
Golden Member

I don't want SELFISH players on my team.
Old 03-01-2001, 04:49 PM   #9
djb
Administrator

I dunno Hales..half those guys on your list can be pretty big ballhogs. Though Iverson's gotten a lot better (in terms of playing team ball) this year, which explains why the Sixers are doing so well. I think Carter's overrated, and Francis is a punk.
Old 03-01-2001, 04:52 PM   #10
djb
Administrator

Hmm let me correct myself. Carter's an incredible player, but I just don't see him in the same league as Duncan and Garnett, someone whose capable of carrying a team on their own. As much as I hate Kobe, he's really elevated his game this season and has imo moved ahead of Carter.
Old 03-01-2001, 04:56 PM   #11
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Carter was never in front of Kobe IMO. I think Carter is way over rated too. And Iverson is one of the biggest ballhogs in the NBA, though I agree with DJ, he is getting better.

Old 03-01-2001, 05:05 PM   #12
Hales233
Golden Member

Stevie Franchise is the man, don't hate.
Old 03-01-2001, 05:07 PM   #13
Hales233
Golden Member

Carter overrated?? Please Rob, that's just laughable[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2001, 10:36 PM   #14
Hales233
Golden Member

Rockets 108, Bucks 91

Steve Francis: 29 points (3-4 three-point FG's, 8-8FT), 8 assists, 6 rebounds, 3 steals.

NUFF SAID[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2001, 10:47 PM   #15
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

I don't doubt Francis's skills but I wouldn't put him in the top 5 players. He'd barely make my top 15-20. But like DJ said, he's just a punk.

And Vince Carter is over rated IMO. I'm not saying he's a bad player, he's just not the super star everyone makes him out to be. Right now he's a 1 dimensional player IMO.

Old 03-01-2001, 10:55 PM   #16
Hales233
Golden Member

Rob you must be smoking some crack dogg. First of all, Francis isn't a punk. Why don't you back it up with some actual proof?? And don't give me that lame-ass excuse that he didn't want to play in Vancouver. Give me something legit.

Secondly, Vince Carter is one-dimensional??? Now I know you're definitely smoking some rocks. The guy scores 28 a night, pulls down almost 6 rebounds, and dishes out 4 assists.

Yeah, that's one-dimensional....you're right[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2001, 11:02 PM   #17
djb
Administrator

Just out of curiosity, why do you think it's a lame-ass excuse? Most guys would be thrilled to be drafted by an NBA team, and Vancouver's actually a beautiful city. Demanding a trade when you've been in the NBA for less then a day is just plain ridiculous. The guy had one year of college ball (not including junior college) under his belt, yet he felt like he could make whatever demands he wanted. The NBA should not have allowed that trade to happen. The Rockets got a legit future all-star while the Grizz are now forced to re-locate. All the Rocket fans were screaming for Pippen's head when he dissed Barkley on tv in order to get his butt traded. What Francis did to Vancouver was about a hundred times worst.
Old 03-01-2001, 11:08 PM   #18
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Vince Carter has no defense what so ever.

Old 03-01-2001, 11:08 PM   #19
Hales233
Golden Member

As far as Pippen goes, he was just speaking the truth.

I love the irony here...John Elway is drafted by the Baltimore Colts, demands to be traded, but heck, he's the great white QB, let's just put that in the background. Let's not ride Elway for that.

But Steve Francis, oh he demanded a trade, what a punk....what a good for nothing punk.

You can't have it both ways fellas.
Old 03-01-2001, 11:09 PM   #20
Hales233
Golden Member

Carter makes a lot of plays on the defensive end, trust me.
Old 03-01-2001, 11:15 PM   #21
djb
Administrator

When were we talking about Elway [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, I'm sure in five years no one will remember the things Francis said and did on draft day. No one except the folks in Vancouver, that is. Had he stucked with them, maybe the team wouldn't be on its way to Anaheim/New Orleans, but I digress. I'm not doubting Francis' abilities, since he's clearly on his way to becoming the best pg in the league, BUT I doubt I'll ever be a fan of his. Players these days can be so damn selfish and ungrateful it's just sickening.
Old 03-01-2001, 11:18 PM   #22
Hales233
Golden Member

I brought up Elway because he did the same thing, yet doesn't get criticized for it. It's a double standard.
Old 03-01-2001, 11:29 PM   #23
djb
Administrator

Well like I said, no one will remember what Elway/Francis did after a few years. Their incredible abilities will make most, if not all, fans forget. Plus I'm sure Elway matured a great deal throughout the course of his career (as will Francis..eventually). Nevertheless, I still don't like him. If he pulled that shit on Dallas, would you still support him? How would you feel if he pulled that shit on Dallas, and then a couple years later the franchise was in danger of relocation? I'm not saying he himself is to blame..but this is just something to ask yourself.
Old 03-02-2001, 08:13 AM   #24
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i don't agree with what elway did either. holding out is a punk thing to do, no matter who you are.
Old 03-02-2001, 11:28 AM   #25
Hales233
Golden Member

He didn't do it to Dallas...I can't live in a world of "IF's."
Old 03-05-2001, 10:12 AM   #26
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Dirk, don't laugh ... look at his #'s . . . he is 22 and every one says he still isn't even close to reaching the cealing. Can Kobe play center? K.g. is my second, the Shaq Daddy.
Old 03-05-2001, 11:25 AM   #27
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Dirk would be high on my list too. He can do so many things.

Old 03-05-2001, 07:54 PM   #28
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Hey, nobody critisized Kiki Vandewegh either.. oh wait, nevermind.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 11:50 AM   #29
Hales233
Golden Member

hahahahahah...kiki...lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]