Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
a.weidner

a.weidner has a spectacular aura abouta.weidner has a spectacular aura about
Default offense for defense

To be honest I'm not sold on this idea at all. If we still had Avery and Devin, I would be all over this one though.

We give away all our tradeable assets and are not getting back a player of the same talent level as giving away. Would unfortunately leave us without a clear-cut second option in our starting lineup.

Dallas outgoing:
----------------
Josh Howard
Brandon Bass
Jerry Stackhouse

Dallas incoming:
----------------
Andres Nocioni
Boris Diaw
Raja Bell

Charlotte outgoing:
-------------------
Boris Diaw
Raja Bell
Emeka Okafor

Charlotte incoming:
-------------------
Brandon Bass
Josh Howard
Kirk Hinrich

Chicago outgoing:
-----------------
Andres Nocioni
Kirk Hinrich

Chicago incoming:
-----------------
Emeka Okafor
Jerry Stackhouse

Because of trade restrictions, we'd have to wait until Feb 10 to make this trade.

We basically sacrifice offense for defense, flexibility and depth. Terry would be our 2nd best offensive player, so he would have a substantial role coming off the bench (a role which he could excel at). On the other hand we are getting three pretty darn good defensive minded players back, two of which can shoot the three. And we would have starting quality players for both wing positions.

All in all, this would be an all-in trade. Would give us a very nice 8 man playoff rotation to make another push for a title. We would be absolutly dependend on how Dirk would fare in the playoffs though.

Damp 24 Diop 24
Dirk 36 Diaw 12
Nocioni 28 Diaw 20
Bell 30 Terry 18
Kidd 34 Terry 14

We'd have a starting five with 3 guys who can shoot the 3 at a decent clip (plus Terry off the bench). Plus it would be a killer defensive lineup, especially with Diaw logging the backup minutes for both forward positions.

Why Chicago does it:
Hinrich has become expendable with the emergence of Rose. There have been rumors about Chicago trying to trade him. Losing a guy like Nocioni hurts, but they would get a legitimate starting center in return.

Still all in all, I think it is a pretty reasonable trade for all parties involed. You might need some additional incentive for Charlotte to agree, so there probably would need to be some picks involved.

The questions remains, if we could survive with just two players capable of scoring 15+ points over an extended period of time. Though I like the idea of getting Bell, Nocioni and Diaw a lot, I personally don't know if I would pull the trigger. Maybe we could find a way to get some more offensive production back.

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade...radeid=4879941
a.weidner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

I do believe that Carlisle has been saying that our best offense is a good defense and not the other way around, even though it has looked differently as of late.

And as for your trade...

no, thanks.

Last edited by Robillion; 12-20-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

No way!
I hate Nocioni.
I'd keep Howard or Bass over him.

He's one of the worst floppers ever.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Nocioni alone would do much more for this team then Howard has lately

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

I actually like all 3 players. Depth, flexiblity and defense- as you said. Diaw is a tough cover, is versatile and would act as the defacto post-up player we need-even though he "posts up" facing the basket, ala Amare. Bell and Nocioni bring grit and shooting. It would limit our cap flexibilty though and the team wouldn't have much time to mesh before the playoffs. Very tempting though...
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Nocioni is a nice player.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:26 AM   #7
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

Arghh, I hate seeing Bass in all these trades.
After Dirk, Bass could be this team's next franchise forward.
He's got potential.
He just needs to keep working harder. Besides whenever he's in he produces. It's just that he's playing behind an MVP.
Man Bass and Harris would of been sick.

Last edited by MaVs 41 BaLler; 12-21-2008 at 04:28 AM.
MaVs 41 BaLler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #8
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaVs 41 BaLler View Post
Arghh, I hate seeing Bass in all these trades.
After Dirk, Bass could be this team's next franchise forward.
He's got potential.
He just needs to keep working harder. Besides whenever he's in he produces. It's just that he's playing behind an MVP.
Man Bass and Harris would of been sick.
Unless we let all of our expirings go this summer... how are we suppose to afford Bass? That is if he keeps performing (which he has not lately). He is going to want more than 1 mil a year if he keeps proving himself. .. Bass is one of my favs. I was debating between buying a Dirk and Bass jersey recently. But, are we going to be able to keep him? It sure is nice to have a good back up to Dirk, but we need to use him wisely and not just let him go.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah having Bass is a luxury. With Dirk playing so many minutes we could easily get away w/ Singleton, Williams, Malik Allen, hell even Brian Skinner would do for 10 minutes per night.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #10
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

You are trading Josh Howard and not getting Okafor or Hinrich.

I would have to have one of those two in the deal somewhere, preferrably Okafor.

I don't think Okafor is on the table though.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #11
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

You are trading Josh Howard and not getting Okafor or Hinrich.

I would have to have one of those two in the deal somewhere, preferrably Okafor.

I don't think Okafor is on the table though.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote