Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 03-15-2004, 06:17 PM   #41
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Good Charlotte?, for Jamison it would be

Another thing to consider is that there will be some big contracts on offer to the bobcats in the expansion draft that we could get with the #4.

If you wanted flexibility, then you ask for Damon Stoudamire and #4.

If you want a decent big, then you ask for Brian Grant and #4.

Really there are a lot of options when you have an owner that will pay the bucks and it won't hurt the bobcats cap at all.

Someone asked what you could get for #4 and walker. Some options:

Kwame and Stackhouse(not sure about salary) and I hate Stacks game, but to get rid of walker...
Ray Allen if they can't get a better deal.
Allen Iverson if that goes to hell.
Dampier and NVE
Some Chicago trade like mentioned above.
Finley/Walker/#4 for Tmac/GHill (Let me dream damn it)

Tons of potential with that high a pick and an expiring contract.

Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2004, 12:13 AM   #42
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Like OP said, I think this summer we should all expect the unexpected. Personally, I think something big will happen, but that's just a guess...Still not sure that this deal with Charlotte will be it.

Chandler may be the most appealing option. Chicago seems to have grown weary of trying to develop so many young players at once. Interestingly, I think Chicago is one place where Walker might actually thrive. I believe that Chandler would do well here as an athletic big man to run the floor, finish, rebound, defend, and block shots. If we take back one of Chicago's bad salaries, I could see something getting done.

Another couple of thoughts, for those who think big, would be Iverson and McGrady. I could easily envision either in a Mavs uniform next season...
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 09:36 AM   #43
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: ddh33
Another couple of thoughts, for those who think big, would be Iverson and McGrady. I could easily envision either in a Mavs uniform next season...
I cannot envision any way that AI ends up in Big D. He is a one man team, coming to one of the few franchises that stresses TEAM. Same with McGrady, only TMac doesn't seem to have the same attitude towards the game. Neither of them should come to D and expect the 25-30 shots a game they now get. I don' t think that one would work at all.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:46 PM   #44
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Dalm, I bring those two big names up because they would seem to be the the kind of moves that Mark likes to make - HEADLINERS.

While Iverson and McGrady have struggled some, I think that a change could potentially help both guys. Iverson always looks like a different player in competition where he has other good players to play with (All-Star games and Olympics). McGrady is the same way.

Now, I'm not saying this is likely or anything. I just think it is a possibility and something that will probably be brought up at some point this offseason.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:47 AM   #45
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Originally posted by Dalm202:
Quote:
Now, since the Shaq thing wasn't your "idea", what is your "idea" that would improve the Mavs in the offseason (whether they win it all this year, or go out in the first round).
Well, that depends on some things...but let me get to that in just a second..I'd like to update everyone on what I heard today on ESPN radio. The ever strange Randy Galloway had Mark Stein on for his usual weekly segment and the Jamison to Charlotte idea was the main topic of discussion. Stein made a couple of points:
1) That Charlotte wasn't the "usual" expansion situation where the team would have some leeway with the fans. The idea was again put forward that, because of the previous failed franchise, the Bobcats needed to take a "non-traditional" approach
2) That this one didn't just arise from his fertile imagination. He said that Charlotte is actually interested in this scenario, even though it's a bit "exploratory" right now.
So, this trade may have a little bit of something to it.

When I look at trade idea, the first person that I look at is Walker...chifly because of his expiring contract. Then I look to teams that may want to "blow themselves up" and start over with a lot of capspace. My thoughts tend to make me look at Orlando, Washington, and the Bulls first. Each team is stuck with a bad contract or two (Chicago has Antonio Davis and Jerome Williams, Washington has Stackhouse, and Orlando isn't getting anywhere with T-Mac and are stuck with Juwan Howard.). You might be able to add GS to that list...and it's no secret that NJ might want to deal K-Mart and Philly wants to unload Big Dog and, possibly AI. Miami, I think would still like to get rid of Jones' and Grant's contracts. New Orleans doesn't need to blow up, but after two years in New Orleans, they're having big attendance problems, so you never know. And as I've mentioned, the Lakers situation is one that you have to watch...anything could happen out there. So, that's the list of "suspects, in more or less, descending order.

A couple of interesting situations might facilitate a 3 way trade...and broaden our list of potential trading partners to those teams who might not need a PF like Walker, but who would be interested in a 2...like T-Mac or AI. Since their contracts are similar to Walker's in size, we could get into a 3 way with someone using either one of them. A lot of these teams have no playoff ambitions, but some of them do...and I think that their 'sense of urgency" is going to be determined by how they do in the playoffs. So, for right now, I'm going to reserve judgment on what trades might be likely.

It's fairly apparent that if we want a young big man (Curry, Kwame, Haywood or someone along those lines) that we'll have to take an ugly contract of their hands in order to get a deal done. KG has made a very good case to me in some PM's for signing TAG to the MLE...and then getting K-Mart from NJ. And that's one that I like a lot. In fact, after resigning Nash, I think that trying to get Tag is pretty important. Then if you want to add K-Mart or a young, big man, you have some flexibility.

Deals for Antonio Davis and Curry could be done. Same applies to Stackhouse and Haywood or Kwame. I like the first a lot better than the second. But I like the K-Mart deal the best, though we might have to swallow Mourning's contract. Isee those 3 trades as the most likely targets.

I'm definitely not for trading Nash, so I won't even go into that...and, honestly, Phoenix is not going to give up Amere and Chicago is not going to give up Hinrich (though they might part with Crawford..A Walker for JYD< Curry, and Crawford also works under the CBA)....I wouldn't mind dampier, but I see a sign and trade as being pretty difficult. So, I'm going to retreat back into what I've said before...

I enjoy throwing trade ideas around...but I think that some very unexpected, crazy things could come up this year. Let's see how the playoffs go...and see who wants to blow themselves up for cap space...then we'll all havea little more basis behind our speculation...

After all, we are going to be in the playoffs...and a lot may come from how we do....if we were swept by the Lakers, we're going to see a far different situation on our hands than if we go deep or all the way.

I doon't mean to rain on the parade, but I think that all we can really do far now is to look at potential trading partners and players that we think might solve some of our holes.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:38 AM   #46
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Good Charlotte?, for Jamison it would be

Does anybody know what Gadzuric's status will be this offseason? RealGM has him listed as having another year on his contract, but hoopshype's salary page for the Bucks doesn't have anything listed for him next year. If Dallas were somehow able to pull a sign and trade for Damp and were looking for a backup C, he's one I'd be interested in over Tag. Reason being that Damp is about as big a body as you need, and with Bradley still around as a bench contributor you'd like your third center to be an atheltic energy guy who can bring a defensive spark off the bench and run the floor. I really can't think of anybody that could be signed in free agency (that's assuming that Gadzuric will be available) who fits that role better, with the exception of Camby if he opts out.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:56 AM   #47
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

GMstr...Patricia's site says that he's on a min. contract and the Bucks have a team option in '05. It further says that he signed on 8/29/02 for 3 years. Hope that helps you.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:28 AM   #48
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
Originally posted by Dalm202:
Quote:
Now, since the Shaq thing wasn't your "idea", what is your "idea" that would improve the Mavs in the offseason (whether they win it all this year, or go out in the first round).
......<clip for space>....................

When I look at trade idea, the first person that I look at is Walker...chifly because of his expiring contract. Then I look to teams that may want to "blow themselves up" and start over with a lot of capspace. My thoughts tend to make me look at Orlando, Washington, and the Bulls first. Each team is stuck with a bad contract or two (Chicago has Antonio Davis and Jerome Williams, Washington has Stackhouse, and Orlando isn't getting anywhere with T-Mac and are stuck with Juwan Howard.). You might be able to add GS to that list...and it's no secret that NJ might want to deal K-Mart and Philly wants to unload Big Dog and, possibly AI. Miami, I think would still like to get rid of Jones' and Grant's contracts. New Orleans doesn't need to blow up, but after two years in New Orleans, they're having big attendance problems, so you never know. And as I've mentioned, the Lakers situation is one that you have to watch...anything could happen out there. So, that's the list of "suspects, in more or less, descending order.

A couple of interesting situations might facilitate a 3 way trade...and broaden our list of potential trading partners to those teams who might not need a PF like Walker, but who would be interested in a 2...like T-Mac or AI. Since their contracts are similar to Walker's in size, we could get into a 3 way with someone using either one of them. A lot of these teams have no playoff ambitions, but some of them do...and I think that their 'sense of urgency" is going to be determined by how they do in the playoffs. So, for right now, I'm going to reserve judgment on what trades might be likely.

It's fairly apparent that if we want a young big man (Curry, Kwame, Haywood or someone along those lines) that we'll have to take an ugly contract of their hands in order to get a deal done. KG has made a very good case to me in some PM's for signing TAG to the MLE...and then getting K-Mart from NJ. And that's one that I like a lot. In fact, after resigning Nash, I think that trying to get Tag is pretty important. Then if you want to add K-Mart or a young, big man, you have some flexibility.

Deals for Antonio Davis and Curry could be done. Same applies to Stackhouse and Haywood or Kwame. I like the first a lot better than the second. But I like the K-Mart deal the best, though we might have to swallow Mourning's contract. Isee those 3 trades as the most likely targets.

I'm definitely not for trading Nash, so I won't even go into that...and, honestly, Phoenix is not going to give up Amere and Chicago is not going to give up Hinrich (though they might part with Crawford..A Walker for JYD< Curry, and Crawford also works under the CBA)....I wouldn't mind dampier, but I see a sign and trade as being pretty difficult. So, I'm going to retreat back into what I've said before...

I enjoy throwing trade ideas around...but I think that some very unexpected, crazy things could come up this year. Let's see how the playoffs go...and see who wants to blow themselves up for cap space...then we'll all havea little more basis behind our speculation...

......<clip>..........
I love the speculation. I am with you on the Nash deal, just keep him.

I see a need for 2 Big men. One from the Bangers dept, Tag, Dampier, Big Z, Curry, etc.
and the second from the Quick, Athletic type: Camby, Rasheed or Ben Wallace, Chris Bosh, Anderson/Gadzurich, maybe KMart can fill this role.
I also see a need for a high % 3 pt shooter who can run the O when Nash is taking a break. NVE?, Brent/Jon Barry, or in a great world Michael Redd.

If you make the Jamison deal, and have the #4, do you take the Big 7'5" Russian or another Big project for the future, or do you package it to somewhere?

Jamison to the Bobcats for the #4.
Walker to NJ for Martin and Zo.
Max Nash and Martin ? ?
Resign Daniels
Sign Tag for the MLE
Let Williams, Best go
Deal Delk, & #2 round to either Denver or Seattle in a "sign and trade" for one of the Barry's, preferably Brent?
Use the #4 pick on one of the Big 7 foot projects, preferably the big Russian?

5) Tag, Bradley, Rookie Project, Martin
4) Nowitzki, Martin, Najera, Fortson
3) Martin, Howard, Nowitzki
2) Finley, Daniels, Barry
1) Nash, Barry, Daniels

IR: Zo, TAW, Steppheson

Sounds like a plan to me. One that would have a very good chance of winning it all.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 03-17-2004, 03:42 PM   #49
ddh33
Platinum Member

Here's the thing. I love K-Mart's athleticism. I love his fire and intenisty. I love his defense.

The problem is that he would maintain the same matchups that we have this season. Martin would be our 4. I know that he might guard other 5s and 3s, but on offense, he would be guarded by most 4s. I want Dirk being guarded by opposing 4s or 5s. That is where this team's biggest matchup problem lies. I would rather bring in someone like Martin who would play the 3. Think Ron Artest - if he could control himself more.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:21 PM   #50
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Good Charlotte?, for Jamison it would be

Bringing in someone who's even harder for 4's to guard is one way to deal with it. Posting up Dirk more is another. As long as the second forward can score on PF's (which Martin can) and can guard SF's (which I think Martin can), I'm comfortable with it. Also, since you have to figure if we did go for Martin he'd probably get 10 or so minutes backing up Dirk at the 4, and 10-15 playing at the 5 (if Eddie can do it, KMart can), Howard would still be able to get his minutes. The fact that we could play Martin at three different positions is a big plus when considering whether he's worth going after. That said, I've thought for a while that a three man SG/SF rotation with Fin/JHo, and Artest would be just fabulous. FWIW, a deal with Indy, (if they do well in the postseason this year I think it's pretty unlikely that they'd be looking to move a piece like Artest), might very well require the assumption of Croshere's contract. I think he'd be a nice fit in Dallas offensively, though we wouldn't be able to play him just a whole lot of minutes since the majority of minutes at the 3 and 4 would already be taken by the afformentioned three man rotation and Dirk.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:04 AM   #51
Speedy

Speedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the rough

This is from a Detroit paper. Link

Building Bobcats

Bernie Bickerstaff is the general manager and coach of the expansion Charlotte Bobcats, and a lot of team executives around the league would like to know what he’s thinking.

He isn’t about to get specific, but he does have general ideas about how he will approach the expansion draft.

“Our first pick is very valuable to us and to our franchise,” he said. “It would have to be something monumental for us to consider (trading it).”

He made it clear that he would not be interested in taking players with expensive, long-term contracts.

“The veterans that we want now are guys with one or two years left (on their contracts) and who are good in the locker room and can help our young kids,” Bickerstaff said. “Our kids are going to be the show.”

So, you can rule out Mavericks players Antawn Jamison and Antoine Walker, though one of those two might be left unprotected, with Jamison heavily, and wrongfully, rumored to be on Bickerstaff’s short list.

One player who seems to fill his bill, and most likely will be left unprotected, is the Pistons’ Elden Campbell, who played in Charlotte and will be in the final year of his contract.

Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:30 AM   #52
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Speedy
This is from a Detroit paper. Link

Building Bobcats

Bernie Bickerstaff is the general manager and coach of the expansion Charlotte Bobcats, and a lot of team executives around the league would like to know what he’s thinking.

He isn’t about to get specific, but he does have general ideas about how he will approach the expansion draft.

“Our first pick is very valuable to us and to our franchise,” he said. “It would have to be something monumental for us to consider (trading it).”

He made it clear that he would not be interested in taking players with expensive, long-term contracts.

“The veterans that we want now are guys with one or two years left (on their contracts) and who are good in the locker room and can help our young kids,” Bickerstaff said. “Our kids are going to be the show.”

So, you can rule out Mavericks players Antawn Jamison and Antoine Walker, though one of those two might be left unprotected, with Jamison heavily, and wrongfully, rumored to be on Bickerstaff’s short list.

One player who seems to fill his bill, and most likely will be left unprotected, is the Pistons’ Elden Campbell, who played in Charlotte and will be in the final year of his contract.
of course, I wonder how true this part of the statement is....