Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 07-26-2004, 02:35 PM   #1
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default The Booth fallout

Does anybody think the trade of Fortson for Booth and the fact that Pavel remains unsigned makes this a little too suspicious? Obviously some other contracts might have to be thrown in to make deals work capwise, but I think this is a little too tidy.

Here's what I think goes down.
Trade 1: Pavel, Laettner, Stackhouse for Carter
Toronto gets a big time scorer to replace Carter and a big man to pair with Bosh.

Trade 2: Walker/Delk to the Knicks for Penny/Kurt Thomas
Penny comes in as a vet Pg to run the show for a year. We get a great brusier for a few years. Knicks get a guy they covet and have to take a bad contract back.

Your roster looks like this:
harris/penny/steffanson
finley/daniels/wahad
carter/howard
dirk/thomas/najera
booth/mbenga/bradley
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2004, 02:38 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: The Booth fallout

I'd go to battle with that lineup. Did you check the salaries?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:40 PM   #3
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Not too big on trade 2. No talent upgrade and a salary downgrade.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:43 PM   #4
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default RE:The Booth fallout

personally, im not so big on talent upgrades as i am on chemistry upgrades. we get two guys in penny and kt who arent really concerned with stats and are willing to do some dirty work.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:46 PM   #5
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

this team does not need Carter...so if the choice is between these two trades....I take #2. but #2 leaves them with Bradley, Booth, Pavel, L8, and Thomas....seems a bit top heavy to me....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:49 PM   #6
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
personally, im not so big on talent upgrades as i am on chemistry upgrades. we get two guys in penny and kt who arent really concerned with stats and are willing to do some dirty work.
I'll take a chemistry upgrade if it's not contractually ill-advised, but we're losing on the salary end of both players in deal #1. If I'm going to do that I have to be getting back something that's more compelling than Penny and KT.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:54 PM   #7
giantbenmav

giantbenmav is on a distinguished road

Penny cannot play the point anymore......his legs just cant do it anymore, which is a shame.......he has been reduced to a spot up shooter and nothing more....

Go MAVS!!!!
giantbenmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 03:05 PM   #8
FolterKammer84

FolterKammer84 is on a distinguished road

i dont think we signed daniels for a 6 year contract to let him play a backup role and nellie said he would start. so imo there wont be a trade for a small forward.

on the other side i like both trades . good work aexchange
FolterKammer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 03:08 PM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds real reasonable to me. I guess we'll find out "in due time."
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 03:32 PM   #10
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

How about Walker/Stackhouse/Delk/Howard for Carter/Rose?

Four for two reduces the roster size. Then Toronto can deal Walker to the Knicks if they want to. If nothing else, they can keep him until the deadline, when his value should increase.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 03:44 PM   #11
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg

Four for two reduces the roster size. Then Toronto can deal Walker to the Knicks if they want to. If nothing else, they can keep him until the deadline, when his value should increase.
i'd rather have a banger like kurt thomas then another swingman in rose.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:19 PM   #12
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg

Any freaking day of the week! This team NEEDS another superstar. Carter is THE best player available.

I remember talking to a friend at the beginning of the offseason. He proposed which superstar I would want the Mavs to aquire if the Shaq deal fell through. I chose Carter over McGrady, Iverson, and others. I just think he's a incredibly talented man with an enormous chip on his shoulder. He wants to win. He wants to get respect. If we aquire him, I think he's going to blow people's minds. We don't have Nash on this team anymore. We need three scoring threats, and the threat doesn't come much bigger than Vince Carter. There is only one way to return to the level of play that we had before Nash left, and that is to trade for an all-NBA type guard . The Mavericks desperately "need" Vince Carter. Vince Carter desperately needs the Mavs. It's a deal that MUST be done.

Jalen Rose has been a favorite of mine for years and years and years. I love his versatility. I love his size and athleticism. I know this may bring back bad memories for some people, but Rose is the perfect Don Nelson point forward. He is better than Walker in this role primarlily because playing him still allows the Mavericks to play both Dirk AND a true shotblocking center. He can provide veteran PG ahead or behind Harris and Daniels. He can backup Vince Carter or Michael Finley. He can play along side Michael Finley and Vince Carter. He can play in big lineups AND in small lineups. Like I said, a perfect Nelson guard. A perfect fit for this team.

I don't like trading Howard, but I like that trade a lot.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 04:23 PM   #13
mavsfan4life7

mavsfan4life7 is on a distinguished road

dont give up howard!!!
mavsfan4life7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 04:37 PM   #14
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

We needed a Center, but Booth???? I hope Mark & Donnie has something up their sleeves other than trades like this!
Old 07-26-2004, 05:10 PM   #15
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

another spin

Dallas trades: PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 34.6 minutes)
PG Tony Delk (6.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.9 apg in 15.4 minutes)
SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)
Dallas receives: SF Vince Carter (22.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 4.8 apg in 38.1 minutes)
PG Alvin Williams (8.8 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 4.0 apg in 30.9 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +2.7 ppg, -8.1 rpg, and +1.9 apg.

Toronto trades: SG Jalen Rose (15.5 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 5.0 apg in 37.9 minutes)
SF Vince Carter (22.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 4.8 apg in 38.1 minutes)
PG Alvin Williams (8.8 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 4.0 apg in 30.9 minutes)
Toronto receives: SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 67 games)
SG Allan Houston (18.5 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.0 apg in 50 games)
SF Tim Thomas (14.7 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 66 games)
Change in team outlook: -5.0 ppg, +1.2 rpg, and -8.4 apg.

New York trades: SG Allan Houston (18.5 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.0 apg in 36.0 minutes)
SF Tim Thomas (14.7 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 31.6 minutes)
New York receives: PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 82 games)
PG Tony Delk (6.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.9 apg in 33 games)
SG Jalen Rose (15.5 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 5.0 apg in 66 games)
Change in team outlook: +2.3 ppg, +6.9 rpg, and +6.5 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED
3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 05:12 PM   #16
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

aex - I'd do both of your trades.

CB - I'd do your trade as well, but I can't see the others doing it.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:13 PM   #17
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Defense, Defense and Defense that is what this offseason is all about.
Jamison insert Stackhouse and Laetner two solid defenders
Nash insert Harris
Walker insert Thomas defensively a big upgrade.
Stackhouse and Laetner plus pavel for Vinsanity that two is an upgrade defensively. Vince avgs 1.00 blocks per game at the small forward positon. It gives Dirk a new running mate.

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 07:31 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: vinnieponte
We needed a Center, but Booth???? I hope Mark & Donnie has something up their sleeves other than trades like this!
Vinnie- it is exactly trades like this that win championships. Minor deals quite often are the difference makers.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 07:34 PM   #19
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Quote:
Vinnie- it is exactly trades like this that win championships. Minor deals quite often are the difference makers.
So true. We loose a guy that complained a lot and got a max of 10 minutes a game for a guy that will be a positive force in the locker room and will give consistant minutes.....ill take that
Old 07-27-2004, 10:36 AM   #20
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

And another spin:

Dallas trades: SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)
SF Jon Stefansson (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)
PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 34.6 minutes)
Dallas receives: SF Vince Carter (22.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 4.8 apg in 38.1 minutes)
PG Moochie Norris (3.5 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 1.8 apg in 12.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +3.4 ppg, -8.0 rpg, and +0.6 apg.

Toronto trades: SF Vince Carter (22.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 4.8 apg in 38.1 minutes)
Toronto receives: SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 67 games)
SF Jon Stefansson (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 67 games)
C Kurt Thomas (11.1 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 1.9 apg in 80 games)
C Dikembe Mutombo (5.6 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 65 games)
Change in team outlook: +2.8 ppg, +15.7 rpg, and -1.0 apg.

New York trades: C Kurt Thomas (11.1 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 1.9 apg in 31.9 minutes)
C Dikembe Mutombo (5.6 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 23.0 minutes)
PG Moochie Norris (3.5 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 1.8 apg in 12.8 minutes)
New York receives: PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 82 games)
Change in team outlook: -6.2 ppg, -7.7 rpg, and +0.4 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

NY gets Walker, and out from under several contracts.
Toronto gets Bigs, and young players
Dallas gets VC and a PG and one less player.

Who knows..............

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:44 AM   #21
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Jamisonite
Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Quote:
So true. We loose a guy that complained a lot and got a max of 10 minutes a game for a guy that will be a positive force in the locker room and will give consistant minutes.....ill take that
I see your guys point, but never the less how can booth or bradley compete against these other western centers, it's going to be a slaughter. I'm really hoping we get a vet pg and then just pray for no lottery

Old 07-27-2004, 12:09 PM   #22
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
how can booth or bradley compete against these other western centers, it's going to be a slaughter.
Who in the west is going to slaughter them? Give me a break.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:58 PM   #23
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Quote:
how can booth or bradley compete against these other western centers, it's going to be a slaughter.
Who in the west is going to slaughter them? Give me a break.
No kidding. Rasho? Kandi? Vlade? Miller? Ostertag? Camby? Decent bigs, but honestly none of them give me goose bumbs. Yao is the best center in the west now. It was perfect to draft Pavel, because no more Shaq. In four years, Pavel could easily jump in the top 10 because frankly, the centers in this league just aren't that good. Right now, Booth is a great shot blocker who was definitely a difference maker for us. I think his biggest weakness is rebounding, but we saw last year that rebounding didn't win us anymore games. We have 4-5 centers right now, depending on Laettner. LOL, if Nelson doesn't play them, he is gone.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote